Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So since my Russian game is almost done I have been thinking about playing an overhaul mod to get a fresh experience.

I see MEIOU and taxes got updated for the latest version and looks like it has a lot more "internal" stuff to worry about rather than just map painting, what's the consensus on it? Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

TorakFade posted:

So since my Russian game is almost done I have been thinking about playing an overhaul mod to get a fresh experience.

I see MEIOU and taxes got updated for the latest version and looks like it has a lot more "internal" stuff to worry about rather than just map painting, what's the consensus on it? Any thoughts?

The way estates/development/dynamic appearance of urbanization and production centers work is extremely cool and Good, and I wish unmodded eu was closer to it. Unfortunately, those elements are shackled to a nearly unplayable kitchen sink mess of sperg.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

spectralent posted:

So, I think there might be a bit of an issue with ages and the save converter: It's 1554 and no Age of Reformation yet, probably because I restored the Pentarchy, so there's no Catholics to protest against. Does anyone know if the Age of Absolutism will still fire when global trade gets discovered or is the world permanently stuck in the era of discovery?

The Gap Left By the Orthodox Dark Ages.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Theswarms posted:

Random New World?

Just had a game where it turned up in the 1530s because one continent spawned in the south west of the new world and no-one could reach it.

Is it for RNW to spawn no new world?

Nope, normal rear end New World.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Theswarms posted:

Is it for RNW to spawn no new world?

IMO the RNW does spawn no trade links to Europe far too often. It's really frustrating too when sometimes you'll see a big landmass, closer then the historical Americas which somehow still doesn't link to Europe.

When I play RNW, I always use the fact that you can see if trade flows into Europe before starting to play in earnest. You can pull up the trade node for say, English Channel or Seville, and see how many ??? nodes there are. I think Ivory Coast shows as ???, but anything else means that trade is flowing in from the RNW. If there's no trade flowing into Europe I restart until there is and play from there.

EDIT: I'd really like a 'force RNW trade option', which would guarantee trade from the New World or regen the map until it flowed into at least 2-3 of North Sea/English Channel/Bordeaux/Seville.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pellisworth posted:

There aren't any downsides or costs for Ming having tributaries other than getting called into wars since they're considered the overlord. Doesn't occupy a relations slot or anything.

Tributaries do give Mandate (scaling based on their development, I think), and Ming gets a Mandate penalty for having non-tributary neighbors. This actually makes becoming Emperor as Qing a huge pain in the rear end, because when you take the Mandate you suddenly have a high-development Ming neighbor who won't be your tributary and that tanks your Mandate. Right now you basically have to grind Ming down over many wars before taking the Mandate from them otherwise it's a trap.
This is a ticking Mandate penalty, right? Would perhaps make a lot of sense if it didn't apply to countries with which you have a truce, which would encourage you to go for the kill so as to not incur it. But yeah, from what you're saying I do think it sounds like you need some lump sum loss of Mandate for tributaries breaking away, though obviously balance would be important here. Too much would be really really annoying, unless you had a real warning and a way to prevent it, sorta like how disasters work.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

spectralent posted:

So, I think there might be a bit of an issue with ages and the save converter: It's 1554 and no Age of Reformation yet, probably because I restored the Pentarchy, so there's no Catholics to protest against. Does anyone know if the Age of Absolutism will still fire when global trade gets discovered or is the world permanently stuck in the era of discovery?

Thanks for the advice. I decided to try and get to 50 dev in my capital; it's working out okay.

I am almost certain that Age progression is linear, so the no, the Age of Absolutism will never fire.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I am almost certain that Age progression is linear, so the no, the Age of Absolutism will never fire.

Well that seems like a bit of a problem with converted games then :smith:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Here's some pic from my recently finished Russia game. Finished as in I've achieved everything I want in that game and can't be bothered to continue, the late game sometimes get so so tedious.

Ottomans is my forever ally, Finland and Manchu are my marches. Instead of conquering Europe, I conquered central Asia. Ming was my rival for most of the game, but I managed to beat them eventually. I got lucky when non-tributary Nogai was allied with tributary Yarkand, which in turn had provinces bordering Ming. So I declared on Nogai, nabbed some borderland from Yarkand and watched as the Mandate started lowering from Ming having a gigantic non-tributary Russia as neighbour.

Some bonus stuff from that game.

AI formed Malaya, I don't think I've ever seen that happen. Strangely enough I don't think they ever had all the provinces required to form Malaya.

Something is missing from Europe.

Morocco migrated to south.

Brittany migrated to the New World.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Weird AI nation migrations, particularly intercontinental ones, are my favorite thing.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm loving that Brittany borders its own CN. Can it even integrate it?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
:siren: A call for players for this Thursday's multiplayer game! :siren:

This week we're starting a new multiplayer game with the theme of custom nations. Got any cool min-maxed ideas or dumb gimmicks you'd like to try against other players? Now is your chance!

Let's look at some of the nation submissions thus far:

An Italian Crusader state in the holy land:

A kingdom of Atlanteans that rose out of the Mediterranean and seized southern Italy:

A time-and-space-displaced West Virginia seeking to dominate the Balkans:

A rogue pirate nation terrorizing the shores of western Europe:

The Humble Merchants in the low countries who are definitely humble and not at all planning to become an evil empire:

BEES:

If you'd like to join and play against these and other fine custom nations, sign up in the mapgoons thread here! Don't forget to join the Discord as well!
We start this Thursday, July 13.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What DLC has the unique age bonus stuff in it?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Technowolf posted:

What DLC has the unique age bonus stuff in it?

Mandate of Heaven.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Just experienced, for the first and only time in 750 hours of playtime, the AI offering to sell me one of their provinces. I didn't even know that was possible, but I guess the conditions were as ideal as they can get - a 100 trust ally, with a (for them) wrong religion, wrong culture province on which I had a permanent claim from forming Bharat, while they are more than a thousand bucks in debt.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

That's a ruler trait thing, Embezzler I think. The AI wouldn't normally sell provinces but rulers with that trait will do it to pay off debt.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, I just saw a bankrupt, rebel-filled Hungary pawn Zagreb off to Austria after the Ottomans gutted them. Using their new border, Ottomans promptly declared on Austria and gutted them too :whitewater:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Go home Castille, you're drunk.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Nice to see Styria around.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

And Silesia and a big fat Milan.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

In my Athens game, Tunis and me are rivals, and both allied to the Ottomans. Somehow the Ottomans got around 5k ducats in debt, and Tunis declared on me, severing our alliance, and immediately, despite 100 trust, the Ottomans now want all my land and hate my guts. I've since fought 2 defensive wars against the Ottomans and have won both but am now 4k in debt and have 20 corruption.

Well played, Tunis. :golfclap:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Geisladisk posted:

Go home Castille, you're drunk.

You're doing it, Lucca, you're doing it!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fuligin posted:

The way estates/development/dynamic appearance of urbanization and production centers work is extremely cool and Good, and I wish unmodded eu was closer to it. Unfortunately, those elements are shackled to a nearly unplayable kitchen sink mess of sperg.

Holy poo poo you were right. I tried it out and while I love most of the changes, there's just too many of them. But Paradox should take note of this mod for EU5 and possibly hire some of those guys, the pops system, buildings and dynamic trade/production are awesome. With a little cleanup and more integration into the engine this would be really great.

Too bad the game crawls along with my old CPU, I managed like 25 years in 3 hours at speed 5 :v:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

M&T feels like it would be amazing but there is just so much in the mod that it seems impossible to balance everything to the point where you can play it without getting needlessly frustrated. For instance, the institution spread seems painfully slow, so you end up with huge tech disparity between eastern and western Europe, like 8 or 9 mil tech which is crazy. Then some countries like France get caught in an endless death spiral and it doesn't seem to ever be able to catch up due to the institutions putting them so far behind.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i saw that they give certain countries "historical" cbs and insane amounts of free cores with it

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Well I was playing a custom nation in Crimea and I was allied with Muscovy for a long time. When they formed Russia I was careful not to take any of their claimed provinces, but even so the moment I bordered them I got a -1000 relations penalty for "invasion" and they rivalled and destroyed me. So that was a bit annoying.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I found out the Knights have it really easy because you can 1v1 the Byzantines with ridiculous ease. Still suffered from the ol' "ally with Austria and Hungary and they get themselves massively into debt or into a giant hell war and the Ottomans declare while they're busy" game over though.

Fat Albert
Jun 19, 2004
Thinking of having a crack at my first ever horde game as one of the Manchu tribes - anybody have any tips in terms of idea choices, when and why to raze (slightly confused by this mechanic, it seems so at odds with all the gameplay I'm used to), and some decent early moves to prepare for my eventual defeat at the hands of godking Ming?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fat Albert posted:

Thinking of having a crack at my first ever horde game as one of the Manchu tribes - anybody have any tips in terms of idea choices, when and why to raze (slightly confused by this mechanic, it seems so at odds with all the gameplay I'm used to), and some decent early moves to prepare for my eventual defeat at the hands of godking Ming?

This is the guide I used. It's pretty comprehensive but there are some snags it's possible to run into.

-Buryatia and Korchin declare war on each other before you can get to them. In this case the idea is still the same, you want all of Buryatia's starting territory and the four provinces from Korchin's starting territory, but it can be annoying if you have to wait for them to finish fighting, not to say potentially dangerous since you're under time pressure here.
-Korea builds more forts than the ones it starts with. This can be an enormous headache because you need to 100% them to get enough provinces for 300 dev. Best way to avoid it is to declare on them asap, don't wait around because they will only get tougher to crack with time.
-Ming gets sick of Oirat's poo poo and declares on them before you can ally them. This seems like it would be really bad but isn't necessarily -- if you're ready to fight them, just declare anyway, the important point is that a bunch of Ming armies will be dicking around in Oirat's territory taking attrition and doing nothing of worth while giving you a free hand to siege Beijing.
-Once you've got Ming beaten down, they fragment into minors. This seems like it would be nice but actually is quite a hassle, none of the minors will share Ming's mandate penalties and you'll be trying to clear out their stupid alliance networks for like a century in which you could have conquered every Ming province twice over. And if you've already seized the mandate you'll probably be obliged to make some of them tributaries which is stupid.
-Once you've formed Qing, look out for Russia. They will be coming out to the Pacific eventually unless the Ottomans ate them before they could get Siberian Frontiers (possible, not super likely) and if they do they'll get a border with you and mess up your mandate. It is totally possible to beat them in a Siberian war and even make them a tributary, but it isn't going to be a fun war (their nearest fort is like half the length of Asia away, have fun running up that war score!) and if you do they are NOT going to be happy about it. I haven't really found an elegant solution to this. You could try and conquer enough of Russia that they would accept tributary status (this would no doubt take a while), or you can just release Buryatia as a march and give them all the provinces on your northern border so you no longer eat the mandate penalty.

Razing lets you destroy some of the development of non-core provinces in exchange for money, MP, and horde unity. It gets weaker over time, but in the early game is quite strong. Unfortunately in the early game of a Manchu destroying development is exactly what you DON'T want to do. You can do a bit of razing in North China once you conquer it from the Ming if you really want, but since you're going to be forming Qing and seizing the mandate eventually it's not like you really need any of the things it can give you. I didn't find it super useful in my run, as opposed to something like say Timurids where it can be a lifesaver.

Idea choices almost don't matter for this run, since all the really important stuff needs to go right before the end of the 15th century when your ideas haven't really come into play. I think I went with defensive because I love that morale bonus. Exploration was my second pick and might be a decent first one too. I was making poo poo tons of money just off Philippines and Indonesian colonies, but if you could rush to the Cape somehow you could be richer than god.

I didn't find this run terribly difficult tbh. There's a lot of things that can go wrong, and always remember that if Ming gets military tech advantage on you, you lost the game, but it's not as bad as like a Byzantium start where if your allies gently caress up the first war you're screwed, it's all in your own hands with Manchu. The hard part is convincing yourself that you really can take on Ming with vastly less money and manpower, but you can totally do it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 12, 2017

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I must say that a lot of the fun was taken out of my mongol game when I formed Yaun, also the mandate penalty in the late game when you haven't planned for it is a bit ugh, but I somehow managed to coast to the great Khan regardless

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You can raze some provs as Manchu, just not the ones you want to make states, which is basically all the Manchu provinces plus the Buryatia gold mine state and the best bits of Korea. You can get to 300 dev by conquering a load of garbage provinces to the west, just state them then increase autonomy and destate them without actually coring them. They'll give gently caress all resources but they're lovely provinces anyway and you can actually get more MP than you spend on coring and increasing autonomy lets you do this without worrying about revolts.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
There is exactly one East Siberian province (Udi) which is almost guaranteed to be owned by a Ming tributary. Which makes that Russia achievement really fun :negative:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pellisworth posted:

There is exactly one East Siberian province (Udi) which is almost guaranteed to be owned by a Ming tributary. Which makes that Russia achievement really fun :negative:

Threatening war is a great way to nibble at tributaries without fighting Ming

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Useless against OPMs though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

Dont the tributaries assume Ming will be backing them when they do math about resisting?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

True, but

skasion posted:

Useless against OPMs though

it's an OPM Yeren lol. Though I guess it should get eaten by Korea shortly.

One thing that would really help the Ming mess would be to make rebels stronger, imo. Both Ottomans and Ming are really hard to seriously injure because they're very wealthy and will just spam mercs and put down rebellions. It's not that Ming doesn't have to deal with revolts, they just effortlessly swat them down.

Rebels are also really easy for players to deal with. I think in general they could be buffed.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Dont the tributaries assume Ming will be backing them when they do math about resisting?

l don't think so. I was able to grab quite a number of provinces in my Russia game. But yeah it's obviously useless against OPMs

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It doesn't seem like it. If that were the case you'd expect threaten war would never work on tributaries except maybe if you were enormously buff, but it totally does.

e: sometimes I think EU:Rome had a good idea with your own armies sometimes revolting against you, it was certainly a lot more distressing than "12000 retards with pitchforks are upset about something, kill them I guess". I guess it isn't super appropriate to the time frame but the whole way the game models rebels is quite stupid if taken literally so who cares.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 13, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Pellisworth posted:

Both Ottomans and Ming are really hard to seriously injure because they're very wealthy and will just spam mercs and put down rebellions. It's not that Ming doesn't have to deal with revolts, they just effortlessly swat them down.

Rebels are also really easy for players to deal with. I think in general they could be buffed.

This is not limited to Ming or Ottos. My experience with the AI is that they will buy up to like 60% of their force limit in mercs (if they're a lucky nation) or even more if the need arises. Without ever going bankrupt. This leads to some stupid things like early 1500's Muscovy being 5k in debt, then cut to pieces by rebels and invasions, and still not bankrupting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Dance Officer posted:

This is not limited to Ming or Ottos. My experience with the AI is that they will buy up to like 60% of their force limit in mercs (if they're a lucky nation) or even more if the need arises. Without ever going bankrupt. This leads to some stupid things like early 1500's Muscovy being 5k in debt, then cut to pieces by rebels and invasions, and still not bankrupting.

I feel like nations should lose the lucky modifier sooner. If they're down to less than half of their starting number of provinces, it should go to another nation that is doing good. Sure, it'll make finishing conquering the Ottos or France easier, but once you're halfway through, it's easy anyways, but it'll make the next nation stronger, sooner, which is a good thing.

• Locked thread