Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

prom candy posted:

Not that I think any of these chucklefucks are innocent, but if you're ever accused of anything serious even if you're 100% innocent, get as many lawyers as you can afford.

I'm honestly kinda surprised the president hasn't issued a blanket pardon of himself and all of his associates. Nothing to see here, move along. If I were his lawyer, it's what I'd suggest he do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PerniciousKnid posted:

Any chance the Dems demand repeal of the debt ceiling?

That'd be an excellent first offer imo.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm honestly kinda surprised the president hasn't issued a blanket pardon of himself and all of his associates. Nothing to see here, move along. If I were his lawyer, it's what I'd suggest he do.

We had some disagreement over this, either here or in C-SPAM, I don't remember which -- can a presidential pardon protect from future charges?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mdemone posted:

We had some disagreement over this, either here or in C-SPAM, I don't remember which -- can a presidential pardon protect from future charges?

Future charges for past actions, yes. It is not necessary charges have been filed - for example, Nixon was pardoned without charges filed. Future actions, I suspect no.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

I don't think there is a clear answer, but it's better to have and not need than need and not have. Plus, it's a whole separate issue to litigate, and that'll buy you more years outside the big house even in a worst case scenario.

Keep in mind that in a scenario where I am Trump's lawyer, my goal would just be to make his defense as complex as possible so as to maximize billable hours and delay incarceration until after the heat death of the universe.

Edit: I probably wouldn't be a good criminal defense lawyer

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Wouldn't that require compliance under oath in the future, under penalty of jail? I'm not 100% but I thought that was how pardons worked (and also that he can only do that for federal charges).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Keep in mind that in a scenario where I am Trump's lawyer, my goal would just be to make his defense as complex as possible so as to maximize billable hours and delay incarceration until after the heat death of the universe

Ah, but billable hours are as naught in the presence of Trump the Welcher.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

glowing-fish posted:

The difference between the Ivanka thing and the Jared and Don things are like the difference between taking a stroll in the gentle rolling Appalachians on a summer day, versus being stuck in the Colorado Rockies in a snowstorm.

See I disagree with this because it's all the same poison just in different amounts. Right now, in America, a rich ruling family is using their family members to rule our country like their own personal little monarchy. Trump gets to distance himself from anything too egregious by using his sons and daughters as extensions of himself, knowing they can't throw him under the bus, and are all willing to lie for him. A group of unelected, unqualified idiots are guiding our country's policy decisions. These people should not have security clearance. They should not be in the white house. And they certainly shouldn't be talking to foreign world leaders as if they represent our country.

Is Ivanka sitting in Trump's chair a big deal? By itself, no. Taken in concert with her husband and brother's actions? YES. This is not something we should judge on a case by case basis of how bad any one thing they do is, it's something we should judge as a single stinking shitpile of inappropriate actions that only grows and grows and grows.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mastajake posted:

Wouldn't that require compliance under oath in the future, under penalty of jail? I'm not 100% but I thought that was how pardons worked (and also that he can only do that for federal charges).

Yeah, theoretically, but Sessions has already committed perjury before Congress, not like anyone's going to be charged or held in contempt.

It's not like the truth restricts these people.

Or from the other side: Trump Jr has already basically confessed and his defense has been "so what? No harm no foul bro."

They're gonna open their big fat dumb mouths regardless. Might as well.go full autocrat ASAP with blanket pardons.

After all, the more evil they go, the faster, the more their supporters are strapped in with them.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 10, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Keep in mind that in a scenario where I am Trump's lawyer, my goal would just be to make his defense as complex as possible so as to maximize billable hours and delay incarceration until after the heat death of the universe.

That sounds about right, though. Trump is an old man with little interest in his own health. If the lawyer can delay any consequences 10 years, he will either be dead of old age, or frail enough to not be able to be sent to prison. Win!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I don't think there is a clear answer, but it's better to have and not need than need and not have. Plus, it's a whole separate issue to litigate, and that'll buy you more years outside the big house even in a worst case scenario.

nah, first court rules that a future pardon is not a defense, and then it gets appealed up with everything else

they wouldn't let you do an interlocutory appeal on it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

nah, first court rules that a future pardon is not a defense, and then it gets appealed up with everything else

they wouldn't let you do an interlocutory appeal on it

Good point

Best strategy is probably to have it drafted and ready to go and just carry it around with you and the minute impeachment proceedings start to move forward, immediately after any criminal trial, etc., Issue the pardon then just to complicate things.

Or sign it but don't announce it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

are pardons automatically public? Maybe he has

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That'd be one way to do it. Sign a blanket pardon, hand it over to your attorney. Produce if needed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The Senate Major-At-Arms has the power to detain the President for issuing a secret pardon, known in the industry as a 'night pardon.' However, he has the right to request trial by combat to settle the dispute.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

That'd be one way to do it. Sign a blanket pardon, hand it over to your attorney. Produce if needed.

Worked for Jack Bauer

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mariasacchetti/status/884499540568678401

This really won't gently caress over the foreign students subsidizing US students with the 5x in-state tuition costs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

If it's.good enough for Scalia it's good enough for America

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/884514470709657601

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/mariasacchetti/status/884499540568678401

This really won't gently caress over the foreign students subsidizing US students with the 5x in-state tuition costs.

This pairs well with the tweet about how Republicans hate colleges and universities now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Yeah, theoretically, but Sessions has already committed perjury before Congress, not like anyone's going to be charged or held in contempt.

It's not like the truth restricts these people.

Or from the other side: Trump Jr has already basically confessed and his defense has been "so what? No harm no foul bro."

They're gonna open their big fat dumb mouths regardless. Might as well.go full autocrat ASAP with blanket pardons.

After all, the more evil they go, the faster, the more their supporters are strapped in with them.

I thought the big problem with pardons is that you have to admit to have done the thing to get the pardon, and pleading guilty for colluding with russians seems like prime fodder to be politically turbofucked. They might not end up in jail, but they'd have problems getting into office again (hopefully.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Good point

Best strategy is probably to have it drafted and ready to go and just carry it around with you and the minute impeachment proceedings start to move forward, immediately after any criminal trial, etc., Issue the pardon then just to complicate things.

Or sign it but don't announce it.

You specifically can't pardon impeachment related offenses

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ekeog posted:

The Senate Major-At-Arms has the power to detain the President for issuing a secret pardon, known in the industry as a 'night pardon.' However, he has the right to request trial by combat to settle the dispute.

You jest but there is a technical argument that trial by combat is valid American law.

1) the colonies adopted English common law in 1776
2) in 1774 the British Parliament tried to repeal trial by combat and explicitly failed

So therefore at least for state law claims still technically valid if your state is one of the 13 colonies

Arguably

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
How old is Ivanka in that shot where she's basically sitting IN her father's lap?! My god...just...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:thunk:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm glad they're increasing resources and enforcement on dangerous individuals first. A PhD student slightly overstaying his visa by not submitting the paperwork on time is a criminal, and must be removed off the streets immediately.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Glumslinger posted:

You specifically can't pardon impeachment related offenses

You can't stop impeachment with a pardon. But you may be able to pardon the underlying criminal activity. It's ambiguous, and ambiguity = litigation = delay

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Rad Russian posted:

I'm glad they're increasing resources and enforcement on dangerous individuals first. A PhD student slightly overstaying his visa by not submitting the paperwork on time is a criminal, and must be removed off the streets immediately.

Knowledge is Power. Therefore PhDs are the most dangerous to our dear leaders.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I thought the big problem with pardons is that you have to admit to have done the thing to get the pardon, and pleading guilty for colluding with russians seems like prime fodder to be politically turbofucked. They might not end up in jail, but they'd have problems getting into office again (hopefully.

Think of it as doubling down on nothing matters.

Or rather as covering your bets. The Trumps dont care about political consequences and so far that's worked out for them. They only lose when someone gets a.fit of conscience (see:sessions recusal). So never have a.conscience. always do the most extreme thing.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 10, 2017

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Rad Russian posted:

"That student isn't as bad as a PhD student who did submit their paperwork but... uh... it was lost in the mail, let's go with that.

I mean they're brown so they're clearly learning engineering to help ISIS"

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

You jest but there is a technical argument that trial by combat is valid American law.

2) in 1774 the British Parliament tried to repeal trial by combat and explicitly failed

So therefore at least for state law claims still technically valid if your state is one of the 13 colonies

Arguably

What about Louisiana which adopted Napoleonic code?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

arguably accepting the pardon is an admission of guilt, but you do not have to actually plead guilty or actually say anything at all (except if you get charged, to plead that you have a full pardon for the charged offenses)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mdemone posted:

Only able to pardon things that have happened. A POTUS can't just say "I pardon X for murder" and then X goes out and kills a bunch of people and can't be charged for it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lote posted:

What about Louisiana which adopted Napoleonic code?

Trump follows scorpion law, not frog law

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arguably

And was actually successfully invoked in 1818, requiring Parliament to actually finally get rid of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashford_v_Thornton

That said, private prosecutions aren't allowed under US law and I don't believe you could request trial by battle when facing prosecution by the Crown before the Revolution.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

Only able to pardon things that have happened. A POTUS can't just say "I pardon X for murder" and then X goes out and kills a bunch of people and can't be charged for it.

I think this has never actually occurred and the raw text of the constitution isn't specific, so while I think it's very likely that's how things would end up I bet there's no actual caselaw on it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

POTUS can say "I will pardon X for murder" and then actually pardon X after X totally murders a person; this power is only put in check by Congress, and lol Congress.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pretty sure the President can only pardon crimes of murder if it is related to a federal law. Most murders fall under State jurisdiction.

So like if someone I think murdered a bunch of people on a boat the President could pardon that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

as a country we are never going to live this poo poo down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the easiest answer to why trump hasn't pardoned everyone yet is because it would cause total anarchy, Washington D.C. at the very minimum would burn.

Not that he cares about that but I'm sure people have advised him against doing it heavily. I think there's a lot of loving outraged people who are only being held in check because of the mueller investigation and the assumption that justice will be served. However tenuous that may actually be.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 10, 2017

• Locked thread