Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
only the people that bought above retail should be pulling out. The ROI is still only 100 days (lol) if you paid retail pricing on rx580s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

only the people that bought above retail should be pulling out. The ROI is still only 100 days (lol) if you paid retail pricing on rx580s

Is that based on hashrates from some months ago or after months of exponential growth? 100 days seems really low when people in this thread started complaining about only netting ~$4/day over a month ago

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 9, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

Is that based on hashrates from some months ago or after months of exponential growth? 100 days seems really low when people in this thread started complaining about only netting making $5/day over a month ago

right now. my 1080ti has a 130 day payoff at current rates. rx580 at retail pricing has a much better hash/dollar. If they have been mining for a month, they arent too deep in the hole

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm definitely not pulling out yet, I probably won't pull out until I see signs of Nvidia card value declining significantly.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 9, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I got 50 dollars in gift cards for the cost of 11 dollars of california electricity and at this point I don't feel like bothering :effort:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
1070 down to $2.30 a day before power

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

MaxxBot posted:

The 1080 Ti can still get like $6 a day but it used to be like 9 :negative:.

It's down to ~4, as of today. The 980Ti that I handed down to my brother is pulling in $2 a day... I should really look in to selling it, maybe I can bamboozle someone for $400...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Palladium posted:

1070 down to $2.30 a day before power

I’m doing 3.25 before power with a 1070, check your stuff. 1060 miners there is new software that is 30% more efficient

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Risky Bisquick posted:

I’m doing 3.25 before power with a 1070, check your stuff. 1060 miners there is new software that is 30% more efficient

I'm using Nice Hash 2 for my 1080ti and 980ti, is there something else I should be using?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Not unless you want to mine alt coins directly. Enable p0/memory oc/reduce power. The 1060 update is not integrated into nicehash yet afaik so if anyone has got em i’d use whatever sw is faster.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Completed selling my 1070 for $435 before eBay fees and shipping, I bought it for 300 flat a little over a month ago. 1080 ti is something I never would have justified anyway. Getting close to 70 dollars coin profit, can too!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jago posted:

Completed selling my 1070 for $435 before eBay fees and shipping, I bought it for 300 flat a little over a month ago. 1080 ti is something I never would have justified anyway. Getting close to 70 dollars coin profit, can too!

T minus 179 days till PayPal dispute

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Remember to require signature on delivery. Over $200 paypal merchant protection doesn't apply if you don't.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

It's easier to use Craigslist when flipping cards. I was able to flip my year old GTX 1070 for the same price I paid for when Pascal first came out.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Judging by your attitudes the REAL way to make money on the buttmine craze is to take delivery of overpriced video cards and simply not pay?

Anyway, yes i required a signature, buh duh.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Scams are such second nature to bitcoiners that one of the main bitcoin forums had a scammer tag they'd apply to posters. Bitcoiners also invest in Ponzi schemes that explicitly say they're Ponzi schemes in the hopes of getting in on the ground floor before it collapses.

What I'm saying is that when dealing with bitcoiners expect them to be Perfect Rational Libertarian Spheres that will take any opportunity to maximize their utilons.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Djeser posted:

What I'm saying is that when dealing with bitcoiners expect them to be Perfect Rational Libertarian Spheres that will take any opportunity to maximize their utilons.

As QuarkJets described it,

QuarkJets posted:

the spectacle of an entire community in a prisoner's dilemma scenario mashing the Betray button as hard and as fast as possible over and over

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

virtue's last reward was a good game, i agree

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Still need to finish 999

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Anyone going to mine and hold? Ether hitting 200 soon. Will probably switch from nicehash to mining directly

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Something weird happened maybe an hour ago to both my miners. They are in two different machines in two different locations but this happened at the same time. My 1080ti was putting out ~1.9 mBTC a day and my 1080 was doing ~1.6. The power usage graph, temperatures, etc are generally constant and I have a good idea what they always are. Suddenly the power usage started fluctuating a lot, I actually noticed it because the miner sitting next to me started making audible variable coil whine that matched up with the power usage graph. The temperature dropped 4 degrees, the core clock dropped a bit where its no longer boosting as much as it was, and on both machines and the output dropped about 0.4 mBTC. I restarted them, changed miners, and it nothing seems to have "fixed" it.

Now the GPU usage graphs still show pegged at 100% and the mining rates don't seem off either. It's weird to me that this is happening in two different places with different miners on different cards ... I'm not sure what to make of it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Anyone going to mine and hold? Ether hitting 200 soon. Will probably switch from nicehash to mining directly

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

1gnoirents posted:

Something weird happened maybe an hour ago to both my miners. They are in two different machines in two different locations but this happened at the same time. My 1080ti was putting out ~1.9 mBTC a day and my 1080 was doing ~1.6. The power usage graph, temperatures, etc are generally constant and I have a good idea what they always are. Suddenly the power usage started fluctuating a lot, I actually noticed it because the miner sitting next to me started making audible variable coil whine that matched up with the power usage graph. The temperature dropped 4 degrees, the core clock dropped a bit where its no longer boosting as much as it was, and on both machines and the output dropped about 0.4 mBTC. I restarted them, changed miners, and it nothing seems to have "fixed" it.

Now the GPU usage graphs still show pegged at 100% and the mining rates don't seem off either. It's weird to me that this is happening in two different places with different miners on different cards ... I'm not sure what to make of it.

This is unrelated, but if you want to test something with your 1080 for me try downloading the latest build of Nvidia Inspector https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k/nvidiaprofileinspector/build/artifacts and disabling Cuda - Force P2 state under section 5 - Common (If you haven't used Nvidia inspector before make sure you hit apply in the top right corner). See if the driver obeys that setting and changes your memory speed from 4514 back to 5004 while running Nicehash. I don't have Nicehash installed anymore because it's not worth it for me with my power costs anymore or I'd test it myself, but I'd love to finally find a reliable way to speed up everyones memory on Pascal cards.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Errybody remember the cheap bitcoin but nobody remember the shitcoins that lost all value

I think I'll hold on to a bit of ETH and see how it goes later. They were predicting it was going to be worth 800 dollars by August, and it's at 200, so lol, just lol

I'm about to try mining Sia Coins, I like their project, for cheap online storage.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Quick questions:

1. I'm rocking an Aerocool MOD XT 750W PSU and it's running my 1080Ti on full load using only 100W, while the card's heating up to 82°C on average, is this normal or should it be cooler than that?

2. I'm currently running Nicehash v1.7.5 yet I've seen one or two goons run a v2.0 alpha, is there a link to where you can download the latest miners?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

What 1080 Ti do you have and is it using the default fan curve, have you adjusted the power limit or clocks on the card at all?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Junior Jr. posted:

1. I'm rocking an Aerocool MOD XT 750W PSU and it's running my 1080Ti on full load using only 100W, while the card's heating up to 82°C on average, is this normal or should it be cooler than that?

Crank your fans to 100% if you haven't and then look at it again.

Pascal starts throttling at 80C (down to boost clocks rather than OC boost). By 90C you're down to base clocks. 100W is nowhere near what you should be pulling and seems like a strong indicator that the card is thermal throttling.

Even at like 80-90% power limit you should be well above 200W.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I'm assuming that's probably 100% of TDP (250W) rather than 100W unless the power limit is way down.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

What 1080 Ti do you have and is it using the default fan curve, have you adjusted the power limit or clocks on the card at all?

It's a Zotac AMP Extreme 1080Ti, I didn't do any overclocking because I think it's already factory overclocked, I believe fan speed is set to auto.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Junior Jr. posted:

It's a Zotac AMP Extreme 1080Ti, I didn't do any overclocking because I think it's already factory overclocked, I believe fan speed is set to auto.

The default fan curves on most cards are fairly conservative, I would adjust the fan curve until the temps stay below 80C so you can avoid any throttling.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't have the Ti, but I got a Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme and it had the worst fans I've ever had on a high end videocard. The only reason I kept it was because I get GPUs on launch and it was months before anything else was in stock. My solution was replacing the stock fans with some Dell branded ones that were much quieter and pushed a lot more air. I wish I knew the model numbers of them, but all I know is I pulled them out of my salvaged fan box and they just say 12V and the current they draw on them.

I don't know if the Ti cooler is better, but my experience with the normal 1080 version was so poor I'm probably not going to get another Zotac card for at least a couple generations to give them a chance to rethink their cooling solution.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

craig588 posted:

This is unrelated, but if you want to test something with your 1080 for me try downloading the latest build of Nvidia Inspector https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k/nvidiaprofileinspector/build/artifacts and disabling Cuda - Force P2 state under section 5 - Common (If you haven't used Nvidia inspector before make sure you hit apply in the top right corner). See if the driver obeys that setting and changes your memory speed from 4514 back to 5004 while running Nicehash. I don't have Nicehash installed anymore because it's not worth it for me with my power costs anymore or I'd test it myself, but I'd love to finally find a reliable way to speed up everyones memory on Pascal cards.

Yeah that totally did that, it bumped it up to 5000 immediately. It also reset the memory OC in Afterburner to 0, what the heck is that about

My original issue is still ongoing but poof magical 1000 mhz increase in memory speed is sure nice :thumbsup:

craig588 posted:

I don't have the Ti, but I got a Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme and it had the worst fans I've ever had on a high end videocard. The only reason I kept it was because I get GPUs on launch and it was months before anything else was in stock. My solution was replacing the stock fans with some Dell branded ones that were much quieter and pushed a lot more air. I wish I knew the model numbers of them, but all I know is I pulled them out of my salvaged fan box and they just say 12V and the current they draw on them.

I don't know if the Ti cooler is better, but my experience with the normal 1080 version was so poor I'm probably not going to get another Zotac card for at least a couple generations to give them a chance to rethink their cooling solution.

I just saw a video about that particular card and the cooler on the Ti has some other design flaws but at least the fan noise wasn't a big issue it seemed.

Also I've been seeing videos pop up about using liquid metal pastes on GPUs to great result on Pascal cards, might be worth looking into. I'm going to be testing that on both a Gigabyte 1080 G1 (pretty poor fan performance overall) and a EVGA 1080ti SC2 ICX today or tomorrow and see what happens. I have some leftover from Haswell delidding days

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 10, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

Also I've been seeing videos pop up about using liquid metal pastes on GPUs to great result on Pascal cards, might be worth looking into. I'm going to be testing that on both a Gigabyte 1080 G1 (pretty poor fan performance overall) and a EVGA 1080ti SC2 ICX today or tomorrow and see what happens. I have some leftover from Haswell delidding days

It does work but like all liquid metal it's conductive so if it spreads out to the discretes and shorts something you're hosed. And some of them are pretty tricky to apply properly. I don't think the gains are remotely worth it.

You see big gains from repasting. Factory thermal pastes are not very good compared to aftermarket stuff and often end up pretty dried out after a while. But there's no reason to use liquid metal instead of just some Gelid GC-Extreme or NT-H1, and some pretty big risks/downsides.

Pretty sure those videos were sponsored content from the companies who make liquid metal paste.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just spray some nitrogen around your room, it will cool everything 😎

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

. But there's no reason to use liquid metal instead of just some Gelid GC-Extreme or NT-H1, and some pretty big risks/downsides.

Yeah, especially considering you can get a 3-ish use tube of ceramic ArcticSilver 5 for $6, and a single serving of something like CoolLabs Liquid Pro is $25... and the CoolLabs stuff is conductive and only cools like 2-3 deg better than AS5, ehhhhhhh

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Yeah, especially considering you can get a 3-ish use tube of ceramic ArcticSilver 5 for $6, and a single serving of something like CoolLabs Liquid Pro is $25... and the CoolLabs stuff is conductive and only cools like 2-3 deg better than AS5, ehhhhhhh

This is really what it comes down to for me: like absolute best case liquid metal makes a 5 degree difference vs random thermal paste, and against good stuff ($10 a tube instead of $5 a tube) it should be <3 degrees. It's just not worth even a trivial chance of killing my card over three degrees.

I am very serious about that whole video being sponsored content from CoolLabs, I'm pretty sure it is. It makes no damned sense to use liquid metal on a bare die when they cool so easily on AIOs.

Most people are too chicken to open up their GPU anyway and then on top of that you need to be super careful not to short out your card? Why the gently caress would you not just buy an AIO bracket and call it good? That's going to make like a 20-30 degree difference in your temps, gently caress 3 degrees. And if you're looking to throw money away, get some Noctua fans to go with it. They are expensive as gently caress (literally $20/fan) but they are legitimately super good fans.

(I actually got a Noctua 120mm fan for my G10/H75, will be waiting a few more weeks for the Gelid VRM bracket to show up but... I'm tempted just to assemble it and go. My 1080 temps are getting really bad as the summer heats up, and I think my thermal paste is dried out pretty badly from mining on it for a month. Even at 90% power limit/100% fans I'm at 80C.)

Also, Liquid Pro in particular is supposed to be loving awful to deal with. It's really liquidy, whereas the Liquid Ultra was a little more viscous.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 10, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
BTC forks are coming, some providers going dark until the network sorts itself out.

http://mailchi.mp/coincards/uasf-segwit-bitcoin-judgement-day

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
So keep mining until august and settle down for about a week and a half? Got it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

1gnoirents posted:

I did this on a whim on my laptop.

It was a loving mistake.

(If I was de-lidding a CPU I would absolutely use the liquid metal, but in any situation where there's a chance it can get elsewhere? Nah. Not at all worth. Even for CPUs, it's the same price to just buy from Silicon Lottery in the first place and have them do it vs buying the tools and supplies to de-lid your own).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I'm strongly skeptical that liquid metal is really gonna be a huge difference on a GPU vs any good paste. I bet if you replace the stock poo poo with NT-H1 or something you'll see gains too.

• Locked thread