Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

If anyone has some time to kill in Indy pre/post-con I saw a billboard today and apparently the art museum has mini golf now. Eat your heart out Paris.

I think I might have to check that out on Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So can I knock my balls around on some Picassos or what?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I might actually be going this year and enjoying some oldschool badge-pass gaming by the sounds of things. I'll know more at the end of the month, but it'll be nice to see people again after missing last year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The Moon Monster posted:

I decided I should probably attend at least one Gencon since I'm local and a massive nerd. I bought my ticket awhile ago and was hoping more event slots would open up either from people dropping out or exhibitors opening more slots, but that hasn't really been happening. How much walk-in sort of stuff is there to do that isn't just buying things?
YES THERE IS THE AUCTION AND AUCTION STORE AND oh not just buying things

Honestly some of my most enjoyable time in the Auction is watching other people spend lots of money on absolute garbage BUT I DIGRESS

Yes there are always games available if you did not sign up early enough to get into something specific. Most general advice is that you can probably find something like what you want, and on Sunday you very well may be able to get into literally any game as apparently the no-show rate is significantly higher than the first three days.

Plus it is Gen-Con so you absolutely owe it to yourself to go to THE MOST JOY-PACKED FOUR DAYS IN THE YEAR

Countblanc posted:

I might actually be going this year and enjoying some oldschool badge-pass gaming by the sounds of things. I'll know more at the end of the month, but it'll be nice to see people again after missing last year.
Please tell me you are aware of the badge sellout so your "might" means "I am not sure if I will use the badge I already purchased"

JUST CHECKIN' BRUH

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My go-to "I don't have anything to fill this time slot" activity is the Playtesting Hall. They pretty much always need more people and I find it interesting to workshop games with creators and help make their games better.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I love just going and relaxing in the auction during the slots that interest me. I have no intention of bidding but it's a good place to just relax for an hour or so.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Please tell me you are aware of the badge sellout so your "might" means "I am not sure if I will use the badge I already purchased"

JUST CHECKIN' BRUH

i mentioned badge-passing didn't i

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Countblanc posted:

i mentioned badge-passing didn't i
Oh. I saw that word and processed it to mean that the idea of playing games with a badge was itself oldschool, which is also basically true. Why I thought you called it a badge and a pass I am not sure.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yes and no. What kind of video games are you looking to unload? I can tell you as someone who specifically hunts for computer games at the Auction Store (and even Auction, though they rarely get put on the stage it seems) that every year there are big stacks of games for systems from Intellivision to XBox One when I first look at the stock on Thursday morning, and by Saturday evening it is basically just down to things priced way too high or things too boring for even retrogaming people like me to care about.

But, for example, I think I have bought 95% of all MS-DOS-era PC games sold at Gen-Con between 2006 and today, and it seems there are definitely other people there who go specifically to grow their collections quickly.

Thus unless you are trying to bilk some suckers into buying your crap at high prices, you should do well.

Reserves get mentioned 9 times out of 10 through the phrase "there is a reserve," and then they usually start the bidding at a normal low price to build people up. You do run the risk of the game falling on deaf ears as there is no dedicated video game segment (T.O.V.A. is certainly a place people like to spend money, though, so it is not all bad) and depending on the cult nature of the game it might be that nobody in the audience at that moment knows what it is.

Thanks! This is super helpful. Of the games I was thinking, it would be 95% old playstation RPGs (stuff like Suikoden), maybe a couple more recent games like the Last Story for Wii. The PS1 games would probably be most interesting to video game collectors. Mostly I'd like to sell them off without dealing with the hassle of eBay and shipping to be honest.

Rad Valtar posted:

I love just going and relaxing in the auction during the slots that interest me. I have no intention of bidding but it's a good place to just relax for an hour or so.

I agree! It's like the dealer room but not nearly so over-stimulating. I really like wandering through the consignment store, not so much because I'm going to buy but to see the cool variety of stuff that people have brought.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Can anyone direct me to where I might sell this? Pulled it last time we did True Dungeon but don't intend to really ever play it again.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Klungar posted:

Can anyone direct me to where I might sell this? Pulled it last time we did True Dungeon but don't intend to really ever play it again.

I do not know about last year, but in 2015 I remember a few True Dungeon tokens making their way into the Auction and selling for what seemed to me to be a ridiculous price, but of course that might have actually been low for what they are potentially worth. It is definitely an option though, and likely the easiest one, though it may not be the absolute best. I bet there is at least one booth that buys them too.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Klungar posted:

There's usually a couple of tables in the dealer hall buying and selling TD tokens. No idea though if you could make more selling directly to a player or best way to go about doing that.

If anyone has a price guide type thing for TD tokens, link me please. I have a stack from when I played a couple years ago that I ran across recently; would like to make sure they're worthless before I throw/give them away.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

There is a dedicated site just for those you can sell them at and mail them in. I checked it last year to see if I had any value. I think i got like 15 bucks back, not bad for a few minutes of looking. Don't remember the name, but any search should find it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bottom Liner posted:

So can I knock my balls around on some Picassos or what?

putting your balls on the picassos is how you got banned from the Louvre.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You would know.

Anyone have a Gencon release list yet? I don't know of anything to look out for other than Legend of the 5 Rings.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

You would know.

Anyone have a Gencon release list yet? I don't know of anything to look out for other than Legend of the 5 Rings.

I got u bae

Lawen posted:

BGG has their GenCon 2017 preview list going, useful for planning and getting hype.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Klungar posted:

Sell it at the below forum. Any TD token that is purple and in print usually has a value around $100.

http://truedungeon.com/forum?view=category&catid=61

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nesbit37 posted:

Sell it at the below forum. Any TD token that is purple and in print usually has a value around $100.

http://truedungeon.com/forum?view=category&catid=61

A quick googling returned a listing for $120.

https://discount-dungeon.com/products/2015-onyx-2-deathcleaver

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nerds have entirely too much disposable income and too little common sense.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Nerds have entirely too much disposable income and too little common sense.

GENCON!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Can't wait to buy more games i'll only play for those 4 days because my friends don't like board games :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
hahahahahaha

So perfect.

TheHoosier posted:

Can't wait to buy more games i'll only play for those 4 days because my friends don't like board games :(
:smith:

Sounds like, you know, you need to find new friends at Gen-Con. From your username and the fact that I feel like this has come up I feel like you at least have a good shot at that?!

Meanwhile I did not realize how much my Gen-Con spending was influenced by my gaming group, really, until I stopped having a regular gaming group and then one day realized that I had spent less every year and was in danger of spending more on food than gaming if the trend continues :(

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Klungar posted:

If you're just looking to get rid of it quickly, posting it up on the TD forums will net you between 100 and 130. You can probably get more if you post it on Ebay, just because of visibility and bidding wars, but that'll take a little while. I think that the +2 Deathcleavers have been mostly sold out so you should have pretty decent interest though!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Huskalator posted:

So my buddy procrastinated on getting a 4-day badge does the sellout mean he's screwed?

EDIT: Ok yeah I think he's screwed.

So... I might have an open bed now in my room it's a double/double downtown at Sheraton City Center. Anyone interested?

Hey, interested in this as previously mentioned, but let me know ASAP about this if you can, otherwise I'll have to fish around instead. Since you're PM-free, I just gotta bug you here. Let me know!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I realize those True Dungeon tokens that are worth that much have to be pretty uncommon, but I love now picturing someone farming True Dungeon sessions for tokens by buying slots in like ten different sessions, getting treasure, and not playing through the session

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Dr. Quarex posted:

I realize those True Dungeon tokens that are worth that much have to be pretty uncommon, but I love now picturing someone farming True Dungeon sessions for tokens by buying slots in like ten different sessions, getting treasure, and not playing through the session

My girlfriend and I may make sure to pick up any treasure token pull increasing tokens to increase the haul. Also, unfortunately that dream can't come true! You have to play through in order to get your pulls from a run - you can't just bail out half way.

But yes, one guy we ran with earlier this year at TDC by himself equipped our entire party of 9 with about 3 thousand buckaroos worth of tokens.....

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

People do this, only they buy all the tickets and just run the dungeon solo. It's called ghosting.

http://www.truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=5&id=244721&limitstart=0

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Radio Free Walrus posted:

My girlfriend and I may make sure to pick up any treasure token pull increasing tokens to increase the haul. Also, unfortunately that dream can't come true! You have to play through in order to get your pulls from a run - you can't just bail out half way.
I suppose that is the only reasonable way to run it from the company's side. Though that also sounds like an opportunity to just take the guy's money, give him some treasure pulls, let him leave, and then see if there are people with generics waiting to play.

nesbit37 posted:

People do this, only they buy all the tickets and just run the dungeon solo. It's called ghosting.

http://www.truedungeon.com/forum?view=topic&catid=5&id=244721&limitstart=0
At first I was going to complain about yet another use of "ghosting" that deviates further from the slang's original beautiful meaning of "disappearing on a former hook-up never to be heard from again" (on the Facebook forums for Gen-Con everyone is talking about the problem of "ghosting a con" to mean "going without paying," and THAT IS NOT WHAT GHOSTING IS EITHER THAT IS LIKE THE OPPOSITE RAGH THESE KIDS TODAY HAVING DIFFERENT SLANG THAN THESE OTHER KIDS TODAY), but then I saw this quote...

This posted:

I've been staunching against new Treasure Enhancers ever since around the time the Ring of Riches was proposed.

It's "dirty pool" but no different than all the issues with reprints/pseudo-reprints of the Horn of Plenty, followed by its eclipsing with the Charm of Avarice.
...and now I realize that True Dungeon is an entire niche convention world within an already-niche convention world and I must know more

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
No, Doc, don't do it. THAT WAY LIES MADNESS!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I don't get True Dungeon. I looked at the description and it read like the worst parts of larping and the worst parts of D&D mixed in a trashcan with the collectability of MtG. With it being hella expensive and difficult to get spots for an entire group I just don't see the appeal.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

It's a fairly lovely (IMO) shuffleboard combat game tacked onto an escape room.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

8one6 posted:

I don't get True Dungeon. I looked at the description and it read like the worst parts of larping and the worst parts of D&D mixed in a trashcan with the collectability of MtG. With it being hella expensive and difficult to get spots for an entire group I just don't see the appeal.

I would argue Magic has more replayability but I guess you could play pogs with the discs or something.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Klungar posted:

It's a fairly lovely (IMO) shuffleboard combat game tacked onto an escape room.

My honest opinion is the same.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Dr. Quarex posted:

...and now I realize that True Dungeon is an entire niche convention world within an already-niche convention world and I must know more

Warning: Wall of Text Approaching

So, you get a set number of tokens for completing the event - It used to be based on if you solved the puzzles or not but they moved to a flat value since people got crappy. There used to be a number of tokens which multiplied the total amount you got - horn of plenty, ring of riches and so forth. But, you ended up with people who had been playing long enough getting insane numbers of pulls, and the rich get richer. They've switched these to flat pulls, and the older super powerful token enhancers can now be combined into a single super treasure charm (still not as good as the old combinations) and it helps get those out of circulation. I think you max out at around 20 pulls now if you have the full treasure plus items and your party has the synergistic treasure + equipment. So it's better than it was, at least a bit.

On the topic of getting slots for TD, i feel like they need to really draw back on people solo running dungeons. It sucks because i know thats how they get their money but it turns the TD draw into oh wow i got tickets and demand and it must be amazing, and then if they don't like it it's a huge let down. Something has to change before it's only greybeards playing the game. We have a ton of friends from places all over in TD, so that's why we play and have a good time being idiots - If we didn't have that group the draw would be considerably less so.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

8one6 posted:

No, you do get it, and you're exactly right.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

djfooboo posted:

My honest opinion is the same.

To be fair, I liked the escape room portions of it (though some of the physical challenges seemed insanely difficulty for a bunch of uncoordinated people, and some answers to the puzzle rooms were so nonsensical as to be impossible), but the combat was just terrible and led to party members dying and having to sit out of the rest of the game.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I enjoy True Dungeon, and will be taking my mother through it this year (would be taking my father too but we couldn't get 3 tickets to the same run). Its a nice extravagent novelty, personally. I couldn't see sinking the thousands of dollars into it some people do but then again thats true of a lot of hobbies. Still cheaper than anything people with an automotive or boating hobby blow through.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I always found the concept of True Dungeon a little interesting, but somehow now that it has been contextualized as an escape room of any sort I have lost absolutely all interest. Huzzah! Thanks for your write-up, Radio Free Walrus, now beware as it sounds like you are close to selling your home and following True Dungeon around the country. Well with your friends granted.

You would think the shuffleboard combat would sound bad but that honestly sounds vaguely entertaining. Well, to do once.

Ilor posted:

No, Doc, don't do it. THAT WAY LIES MADNESS!
Thanks for looking out for me Ilor, I think we are safe now. Now, if it had been described as "crappy shuffleboard combat combined with standing around at night in a hotel in the 1990s pretending you are a vampire," we might be in trouble.

nesbit37 posted:

I enjoy True Dungeon, and will be taking my mother through it this year (would be taking my father too but we couldn't get 3 tickets to the same run). Its a nice extravagent novelty, personally. I couldn't see sinking the thousands of dollars into it some people do but then again thats true of a lot of hobbies. Still cheaper than anything people with an automotive or boating hobby blow through.
I think about that sometimes, how all but the most princely sums spent by collectors on gaming stuff pale in comparison to the hobbies of the actual idle rich. But, well, that is the price we pay for being interested in the working man's entertainment. D&D: The Working Man's Entertainment

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The Escape Room comparison is a good one. The one time I did TD a couple years ago it was before every city had a half dozen escape rooms and it was a fun novelty (though I agree that the combat was pretty lame). Now that I've been dragged to a couple different escape room things in the past year by friends, TD has lost pretty much all appeal for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
TD when it was like $20 for a ticket always seemed interesting, but now that it has gotten so freaking expensive for such a small amount of time I just don't think it's worth it.

• Locked thread