Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Highwang posted:

My god. I keep hearing so many small details about this game. How the hell does Team Cherry do it?

Wait, double checked via a whole-game text dump. Apparently most of it's a rumor, or confused with the hero's mark, but you should at least bring the flower to the bug village. It's a shame they didn't implement more you could do with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That sidequest is really, really loving dumb. Like, you can remove a lot of the risk beforehand but the place where you have to get to in the end is just... Ugh. I think I gave up on that after failing the last jump three times.

e: Oh, neat, I never seen this dialogue with the miner. I always found her in the next stage.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 4, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is it possible to cheese That Sidequest by quitting from the menu?

Start at the endpoint, sit at a bench, fast travel to the start, pick up the item, then quit and reload?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

The most important rule while doing this is DO NOT SIT ON A BENCH.
I'm pretty sure benches act as checkpoints for this quest.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm pretty sure benches act as checkpoints for this quest.

They don't, unless maybe you're doing something screwy like force quitting when hit.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Can you read the hunters mind?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I feel like the entire trend of positive response towards 'provide little snippets of history and context and leave the players to draw their conclusions' was a backlash against games that refused to let you play until they were done talking at you for three or so hours. It's quite possible Dark Souls went too far in the other direction, but the change was refreshing, to be sure. More to the point, I feel like in Dark Souls in particular, context is all that's necessary - buildup, climax, and resolution takes place within the game itself as a function of what the player does. History is required to give that meaning, is all. As was the case with other follow-the-leader inducing works (see: Watchmen/Dark Knight Returns, Evangelion), a lot of the problem comes from people imitating the form because it's hip and it sells without understanding the intent behind it.

Re: the Dream Seer - in addition to the 'shamanism' aesthetic, the Seer is not wearing a white mask (or doesn't have a white face? not sure how that works) - her head looks like a insect's head, making her rather more explicitly buglike than a lot of the folks we meet.

Also, weren't the Dream Warriors created by Kickstarter backers at a certain level?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

anilEhilated posted:

e: Oh, neat, I never seen this dialogue with the miner. I always found her in the next stage.

There is actually a second phase he missed. (Unless I forgot about it)
The first time you meet her she doesn't really remember the song.
The next time she actually does. There is some lore there.
Then she's in this weird state.
You can probably imagine, what the final encounter is like.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

cant cook creole bream posted:

There is actually a second phase he missed. (Unless I forgot about it)
The first time you meet her she doesn't really remember the song.
Then she's in this weird state.
You can probably imagine, what the final encounter is like.

I consistently gently caress up both the Miner and Cloth's plot line due to how I learned the game. With Cloth I think I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, but I never quite figured out what I do wrong with the miner girl.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Yeah,it's pretty interesting. But we all know how Highwang feels about lore.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I didn't find the flower side quest to be bad. The path you take to the destination (or the one I took at least) doesn't really have any big threats on it; I think the "worst" part was some platforming with spikes but it's one of the tamer platforming challenges. I enjoyed how it forced me to play through the game more slowly and patiently than I had up to that point.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Is it possible to cheese That Sidequest by quitting from the menu?

Start at the endpoint, sit at a bench, fast travel to the start, pick up the item, then quit and reload?

I tried it, and no. Starting the quest resets your save to the bench outside the quest giver's house.

I think I bonked on the very last jump twice, in addition to a couple other places along the way.

At least there's no reason not to overcharm, so you can take whatever combination makes you happy. Not that most of them are helpful.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

They don't, unless maybe you're doing something screwy like force quitting when hit.

That's probably it.

I regret nothing. gently caress that last jump. :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

That's probably it.

I regret nothing. gently caress that last jump. :colbert:

As far as I'm aware, they fixed that exploit with the latest patch, you dirty cheater.
It's not that hard anyway, since there is an almost completely safe path. I was able to do it on my third try or so. There are way bigger challenges in this game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The flower is a neat optional challenge, to be honest.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Of the three superhard optional challenges the flower is probably the least offensive to non-completionists because the reward is only the final hit point, compared to another challenge that has an ending locked behind it, or a different one that affects journal completion.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sealed up in dreams.

Oh hell, what if the plague's started spreading through the collective unconscious?

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Glazius posted:

Sealed up in dreams.

Oh hell, what if the plague's started spreading through the collective unconscious?

Like some sort of... hive mind, almost like they're... bugs of some sort.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What collective unconscious though? We don't really see that, the most that's been showed is that the three Dreamers can communicate telepathically - with us and with each other.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

As far as I'm aware, they fixed that exploit with the latest patch, you dirty cheater.
It's not that hard anyway, since there is an almost completely safe path. I was able to do it on my third try or so. There are way bigger challenges in this game.

Difference being, the rest are fun instead of time consuming.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They also all show something new, this one just has you backtrack under strenuous conditions.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fat Samurai posted:

Difference being, the rest are fun instead of time consuming.

A test of how well you can traverse the world is fun though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah this. It forces you to play the game a different way, since by the time you are doing that quest you're used to facetank most stuff.
And it's not timed, so you don't have to stress out over it. Come to think of it, as far as I'm aware right now, there aren't any timed race type quest. Unless the speedrun achievements, I guess.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 6, 2017

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, there are far more vicious things in the game than that - I think I managed it on my third try as well, and my failed attempts ended quite early. A couple of the other optional challenges took me thirty tries or more, although part of that was down to me insisting on taking them on when I first found them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Fair enough, it wasn't for me.

There is a similar challenge that makes you navigate on a limited health (reach a door with a minimum number blue health containers to open it and then platform a bit) that worked better for me because it required solving a puzzle and navigating new territory. I enjoyed that one much more.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fat Samurai posted:

Fair enough, it wasn't for me.

There is a similar challenge that makes you navigate on a limited health (reach a door with a minimum number blue health containers to open it and then platform a bit) that worked better for me because it required solving a puzzle and navigating new territory. I enjoyed that one much more.

That one's a good amount easier - once you have enough max health, you can just equip all the blue health givers and the charm that converts your regular health to blue health, and not only can you make it, pretty easily, but also take on or two hits on your way to the challenge.

Somewhat combining health-stacking with the Stalwart Shell charm is also an easy way to cheese a lot of bosses.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

bewilderment posted:

That one's a good amount easier - once you have enough max health, you can just equip all the blue health givers and the charm that converts your regular health to blue health, and not only can you make it, pretty easily, but also take on or two hits on your way to the challenge.

Yeah. I directly did it that way. Until now it didn't even occur to me how tedious it might be the "legitimate" way.

Thread challenge: Highwang, do that thing without any charms, whatsoever!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 10, 2017

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Yeah. I directly did it that way. Until now it didn't even occur to me how tedious it might be the "legitimate" way.

Literally can't. You need some manner of charmage to do so. The scattered sources of blue health don't stack if I recall correctly.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Literally can't. You need some manner of charmage to do so. The scattered sources of blue health don't stack if I recall correctly.

Really? I'm pretty sure they do, there's two near a dream warrior in Deepnest that stacked just fine. Sitting on a bench removes all lifeseed health, though. There's about seven or so lifeseed pods in the game, with a couple having three instead of two, so you could theoretically get enough temporary health to do the door without charms. However, you can never use a bench, you can't get hit, and you'd have to go across the entire map, perfectly, to do it. To be honest, that challenge sounds completely awful to watch, to say nothing of playing. It'd have to be so slow and methodical and frustrating and LONG from repeated failures that it would be painful to sit through.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 11: Crystal Caverns

Welcome to a level where I admittedly forgot a whole lot about it.

Crystal Caverns is weird because its one of the few areas that doesn't really connect with much. The main objective here is to navigate the labyrinthine caverns to acquire the Crystal Heart, granting you what I always dub as the "shinespark." The level also serves as a means to learn how to use the shinespark by offering a bunch of obstacle courses that let you understand the nuances for it. Once you learn all that though, there's very little reason to backtrack here. We get the other big upgrade from this area next video soon after getting the shinespark, and two other smaller upgrades can only be gotten here with the double jump. Its kind of a nondescript level in general despite how beautiful it all looks, so I just have no memory of it.

And now that we're at a certain point in the LP, Its time to vote again! And this time, Deepnest isn't a red herring because I have all relevant items for it!

This entails going through multiple separate areas and waiting on a respawn timer for blue goo to attempt, all without taking a single hit. That sounds loving miserable, no.

I'm also pretty sure that's not the developer intended way given how many simpler ways there are to achieve that puzzle's solution.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I was able to damage those crystal laser bugs just fine with magic. Maybe you need certain other upgrades first?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's worth pointing out that you can make it up to that ledge that you said required the double jump. You just need to pogo bounce off of one of the pickaxes that the miner enemy there throws. I did that on my first playthrough and it resulted in me not acquiring the Crystal Heart because I assumed the item that's up there was the "area reward."

I voted for Outskirts because IIRC you need to go there to get an NPC interaction in Deepnest. Something I missed on my playthrough.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I think that the only flag left on Myla the singing miner is getting the crystal heart. If you visit her again you should see the end of her storyline.

I was able to damage those crystal laser bugs just fine with magic. Maybe you need certain other upgrades first?

Nope, I can confirm that the basic Vengeful Spirit is perfectly capable of oneshotting the crystal laser bugs.

Genocyber posted:

I voted for Outskirts because IIRC you need to go there to get an NPC interaction in Deepnest. Something I missed on my playthrough.

Pretty sure you need double jump to get to that unlock point. I agree that it's an interaction I'd like to see on camera, though.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 10, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm pretty sure the final story flag for Myla is obtaining the shinespark.

The laser crawlers can be killed with soul magic.

The Crystal Guardian's beams only do one damage. They do two damage on the refight

You can dreamnail the bug robot you take the Heart from.

:eng101:

"I love platforming challenges!" :getin:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

SirSamVimes posted:

You can dreamnail the bug robot you take the Heart from.

:eng101:

WHAT. poo poo, I was gonna just do a couple notes at the beginning of ep 13, but it looks like I'll have to make a "poo poo I forgot to show off" vid at this rate.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you can also dream nail the glowy little trees that spit out the orbs after you've completed them

there is always more to dream nail

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of quietly hilarious that the Shinespark is a net loss to a speedrun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Glazius posted:

It's kind of quietly hilarious that the Shinespark is a net loss to a speedrun.

The SGDQ run actually did get the shinespark though

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

If you are still looking for volunteers re. voicing the Hunter's journal, I'm game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

you can also dream nail the glowy little trees that spit out the orbs after you've completed them

there is always more to dream nail

Not to mention the fact that all enemies are dreamnailable

• Locked thread