Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

last week of work at this job bless up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

last week of work at this job bless up

hail satan

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I found out the other day that there was an exodus of senior devs at my old company very shortly after I'd quit my job last year lol. Probably because the company was being stingy about pay rises at a time when UK devs were suddenly 20% cheaper to hire. Feels good to know you were ahead of the curve.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Reasons to write C:

You don't want to write ASM.
You want speed.

Reasons to write C++:
You don't want to write C.
You want speed.
You like easier string handling.
You aren't writing kernel code.

Reasons to write for Node.js:

You want more speed than C/C++ can offer by being closer to the metal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

reasons to write c: you're writing something embedded and you don't want to have to drag in some 400MB bullshit runtime

also you don't want to spend half your time writing janky ffi wrappers

there's good c++ compilers for m series arm processors at least

speaking of which my company has openings for embedded and web developers. hr appears to have merged the requirements into one listing and put everything under "required". :ughh:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sapozhnik posted:

some 400MB bullshit runtime
this makes me sick, pls tell me you're joking

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

speaking of which my company has openings for embedded and web developers. hr appears to have merged the requirements into one listing and put everything under "required". :ughh:

it's called full stack duh :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Full stack means you do 10x the work for 1.5x the price. :v:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

hobbesmaster posted:

Is this why every job description I look at that sounds like a good fit for me has a bunch of seemingly random and irrelevant required skills I don't have?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is this why every job description I look at that sounds like a good fit for me has a bunch of seemingly random and irrelevant required skills I don't have?
it's a wishlist and costs nothing to tack on a bunch of poo poo someone read in this month's tech trends magazine

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bhodi posted:

it's a wishlist and costs nothing to tack on a bunch of poo poo someone read in this month's tech trends magazine

unless the automated resume scanning system gets them as a list of hard requirements and rejects 100% of resumes [this happens btw]

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

qirex posted:

unless the automated resume scanning system gets them as a list of hard requirements and rejects 100% of resumes [this happens btw]
i love self-selection

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Recruiter just asked me to send my resume in MSWord format. gently caress off.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qhat posted:

Recruiter just asked me to send my resume in MSWord format. gently caress off.
I had a word version and pdf version on my website, the word version got clicked on 5x more

if it's an external recruiter it's so they can edit out your contact info and ruin all your formatting

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Has anyone here ever walked into an interview set up by a recruiter and been quizzed on poo poo that you never claimed to have known, only to realise the recruiter added it to your resume without asking?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

👏 don't 👏 talk 👏 to 👏 the policerecruiters 👏

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

qirex posted:

I had a word version and pdf version on my website, the word version got clicked on 5x more

if it's an external recruiter it's so they can edit out your contact info and ruin all your formatting

Mine is actually written in latex because I'm a nerd. To get a doc I'd need to compile it to HTML and open it in word and save to doc, and it would still look worse than anything the recruiter could do to it lol.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
life hack: if you take an HTML document and change the extension to .doc, most recruiters never know the difference

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

When I used to get resumes that were obviously LaTeX typesetted, for me it was an instant +1 for having good taste.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I have a latex resume because I wanted to learn latex at some point and it turns out it's easy to keep that stuff up to date if you never gently caress with the layout again

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

MononcQc posted:

I have a latex resume because I wanted to learn latex at some point and it turns out it's easy to keep that stuff up to date if you never gently caress with the layout again

:same:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yeah latex resumes are a life hack, both for ease of keeping resume, and also for screening candidates

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

does latex still use that janky serif font with the bad geometry by default?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

qirex posted:

does latex still use that janky serif font with the bad geometry by default?

yeah that's the one you have to leave in so the interviewers know you used latex

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

I mean I had to write a JavaScript web interface for the board I did the schematic and a bunch of firmware in C for

so I mean it could be legit

(it was originally in jquery but minified jquery was like 100kB in size which was more than the rest of the web resources combined, and it didn't actually need jquery for anything, so I rewrote it in straight JavaScript)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lmodern sans is super good too.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

qhat posted:

When I used to get resumes that were obviously LaTeX typesetted, for me it was an instant +1 for having good taste.

can latex give me a sense of style and good design because I'm not sure it's worth it without those things

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

DuckConference posted:

I mean I had to write a JavaScript web interface for the board I did the schematic and a bunch of firmware in C for

so I mean it could be legit

(it was originally in jquery but minified jquery was like 100kB in size which was more than the rest of the web resources combined, and it didn't actually need jquery for anything, so I rewrote it in straight JavaScript)

include it from a CDN dude

oh I guess it might have to carry all its own resources if it's embedded huh? yeah, you don't need jQ anymore but it's a drat sight less annoying than dealing with the accreted crust of random half-useful junk that makes up the official APIs

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MononcQc posted:

yeah that's the one you have to leave in so the interviewers know you used latex

oh whoops i used utopia

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

just put a \LaTeX in your skills section and use a latex that supports os fonts like xelatex

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
latex is bad and inferior to word in every single way.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Munkeymon posted:

can latex give me a sense of style and good design because I'm not sure it's worth it without those things

Yes, in the sense that you realise how goddamn lovely msword formatted documents look

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

latex is bad and inferior to word in every single way.

both are dog poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

both word and latex are bad but at least people who use word usually have the excuse that it's the default, latex is "I went out of my way to make an ugly document nobody can read because using a mouse is terrifying"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lmao as soon as I updated my resume on indeed and linkedin I started getting recruiter calls. 4 calls in a single day.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Word is cool and good. ms office is a master piece and really the only reason ms rules the business world.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Word is cool and good. ms office is a master piece and really the only reason ms rules the business world.

this except excel

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ratbert90 posted:

Lmao as soon as I updated my resume on indeed and linkedin I started getting recruiter calls. 4 calls in a single day.

do they have an urgent opening for a short term contract for you?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

do they have an urgent opening for a short term contract for you?

I am looking into it. I think I can have a job in 1~ week or so that pays more with better benefits with less than a 5 minute commute change at a bigger company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwOYMFtw1k

A oldie but a goodie.

• Locked thread