Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Captain Invictus posted:

the easiest answer to why trump hasn't pardoned everyone yet is because it would cause total anarchy, Washington D.C. at the very minimum would burn.

Not that he cares about that but I'm sure people have advised him against doing it heavily. I think there's a lot of loving outraged people who are only being held in check because of the mueller investigation and the assumption that justice will be served. However tenuous that may actually be.

Also, they probably think they might still be able to worm their way out of this, you know, because they are so much smarter than us and he keeps hiring the best people to deal with it and what part of the The Best People are you unclear about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think the more direct reason he won't pardon anyone is that he would see it as an admission of wrongdoing, of which he is fundamentally incapable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, they probably think they might still be able to worm their way out of this, you know, because they are so much smarter than us and he keeps hiring the best people to deal with it and what part of the The Best People are you unclear about?
I dunno if they think they can weasel out of it, but we will absolutely know once mueller goes public if they will attempt to pull the blanket pardon or not.

Groovelord Neato posted:

as a country we are never going to live this poo poo down.
Should mueller's investigation prove fruitful and shows a shitload of russian fingers in quite a lot of american pies, I can see the US recovering so long as it immediately pulls up from its current dive and changes a bunch of assumed rules into actual laws, as well as enacting more restrictions on the executive branch, etc. Again, this is still up in the air whether it will actually happen though, especially with the trump admin's readiness to leave the election machines unchecked and vulnerable.

mdemone posted:

I think the more direct reason he won't pardon anyone is that he would see it as an admission of wrongdoing, of which he is fundamentally incapable.
this is also a very valid reason.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Also aren't pardoned people unable to plead the 5th?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

mdemone posted:

He's not admitting wrongdoing, he knows he didn't do anything wrong, which is why he would be okay with a pardon. I imagine it's like him settling out of court.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

the easiest answer to why trump hasn't pardoned everyone yet is because it would cause total anarchy, Washington D.C. at the very minimum would burn.

loving lol if you think this is even a remote possibility.

The overwhelming majority of people are too busy trying to make ends meet or chasing after the next car/gadget/house etc. to bother with anything going on in DC.

There are two things that might cause riots:

a) Draft is re-instituted
b) The US enters a period of severe depression (not just a recession like 2009)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure the President can only pardon crimes of murder if it is related to a federal law. Most murders fall under State jurisdiction.

So like if someone I think murdered a bunch of people on a boat the President could pardon that

I am now imagining DT Jr killing some random dude and deciding that the only way out is to upgrade the charge by killing someone else across the state line.
It turns out there was absolutely no evidence for the first crime, while the second happened right beneath a camera in front of a police station.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 10, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

skylined! posted:

the worst part of this is that these old craven fucks just don't die anymore

bill cheney is one abalone shell away from being a mechanical loving bivalve and yet he will outlive me

who the fuq is bill cheney

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

WeAreTheRomans posted:

he was Greg W. Bush's vice president

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure the President can only pardon crimes of murder if it is related to a federal law. Most murders fall under State jurisdiction.

So like if someone I think murdered a bunch of people on a boat the President could pardon that

Killing Democratic congresspeople in D.C. is a federal crime (insofar as the President can pardon crimes under D.C. law)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

And was actually successfully invoked in 1818, requiring Parliament to actually finally get rid of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashford_v_Thornton

That said, private prosecutions aren't allowed under US law and I don't believe you could request trial by battle when facing prosecution by the Crown before the Revolution.

But see https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=baNbN9lJUgJh_PLUS_VQ9ZDKUfw== , starting at p. 26

I want to take independent credit though because I've raised the common - law trial by combat argument before in this forum

All it takes is one judge who'll allow it, just one

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

WeAreTheRomans posted:

that is a good question I think we need to investigate

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
bill cheney did 9/11

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

The difference between the Ivanka thing and the Jared and Don things are like the difference between taking a stroll in the gentle rolling Appalachians on a summer day, versus being stuck in the Colorado Rockies in a snowstorm.

You are one dedicated motherfucker to your shtick/troll.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
I'm pretty sure the first arrests will be to take out a bunch of Trump's team with New York State law -- probably all the financial stuff -- which the president can't pardon for. Some of them will flip and give public testimony and proof to federal level stuff, from treason all the way down to perjury and obstruction, and that will leave whatever congressmen weren't involved no choice but to impeach in order to save face.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

enraged_camel posted:

The overwhelming majority of people are too busy trying to make ends meet or chasing after the next car/gadget/house etc. to bother with anything going on in DC.

DC burning and most of the country not giving a poo poo are two things that can both be true at the same time.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

This.

poo poo would have to get so bad that it would affect the average apathetic piece of poo poo American before anyone would "take to the streets"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JasonV posted:

I'm pretty sure the first arrests will be to take out a bunch of Trump's team with New York State law -- probably all the financial stuff -- which the president can't pardon for. Some of them will flip and give public testimony and proof to federal level stuff, from treason all the way down to perjury and obstruction, and that will leave whatever congressmen weren't involved no choice but to impeach in order to save face.

I can see Trump getting off scot-free via a mechanism like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKWGJlhtxY

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Charliegrs posted:

This.

poo poo would have to get so bad that it would affect the average apathetic piece of poo poo American before anyone would "take to the streets"

What about the women's march right after innauguration?

The difference isn't people coming out, it's whether they start burning things.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That'd be one way to do it. Sign a blanket pardon, hand it over to your attorney. Produce if needed.

If Trump were to preemptively pardon himself, that would unnecessarily implicate him as well as damage his safety net of general ignorance about everything.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's neat because even though because he's republican laws legally don't apply to him he's actually one of the weakest presidents ever since he's gotten all his family and businesses and family who run his businesses mixed up in all this. Like he might not care his son goes to jail but he will care the CEO of his company goes to jail.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

CmdrRiker posted:

If Trump were to preemptively pardon himself, that would unnecessarily implicate him as well as damage his safety net of general ignorance about everything.

Accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt. I'm no lawyer, but I bet you can impeach the president if he's been pardoned. You're just taking away the criminal punishment with a pardon, but you can still remove him from office for the same crime he just confessed to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CmdrRiker posted:

That's just a matter of drafting. "I didn't do anything, but just to defeat the lies of my many enemies, I pardon myself and my lovely wonderful children of anything they or I may be accused of" etc.

Again, the goal isn't a valid legal pardon: the goal is gumming up the works.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PhazonLink posted:

I think that was a joke but edit: corrected.

the Koch bros are hosed up. There are actual three Koch bros, but the ones throw around all this dark money are the 2nd and 3rd sons. The eldest son got blackmailed by them and got his inheritance screwed/got a slightly smaller giant pile of money because he was probably gay.

Is the older one the guy who collects castles?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Now that I know it's possible for Trump to brag about committing a state crime, pardon himself, and then find out he can't do that, I'm 100% convinced it will happen.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

That's just a matter of drafting. "I didn't do anything, but just to defeat the lies of my many enemies, I pardon myself and my lovely wonderful children of anything they or I may be accused of" etc.

Again, the goal isn't a valid legal pardon: the goal is gumming up the works.

That seems highly inadvisable. And the works are pretty much all gummed up as it is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CmdrRiker posted:

That seems highly inadvisable. And the works are pretty much all gummed up as it is.

That's why you give it to the attorney and don't admit it exists until it's needed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PerniciousKnid posted:

Now that I know it's possible for Trump to brag about committing a state crime, pardon himself, and then find out he can't do that, I'm 100% convinced it will happen.

And then his attorneys will make the better (but still flawed) argument that a state arrest of the president would be an interference with operation of the federal government (or whatever the appropriate language is).

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Groovelord Neato posted:

as a country we are never going to live this poo poo down.

Counter Point NAZI Germany and Imperial Japan
As bad as Trump is and as dark as this time may be, there have definitely been worse.

ekeog posted:

he was Greg W. Bush's vice president

That would be Dick Cheney.
(Has anyone ever been more appropriately named?)

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well, he asked Russia to hack the election, and they did. He also said he could shoot someone in the street and get away with it, so figure that'll happen at some point.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Skex posted:

the joke
/
/
/
/
you

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

I think that was a joke but edit: corrected.

the Koch bros are hosed up. There are actual three Koch bros, but the ones throw around all this dark money are the 2nd and 3rd sons. The eldest son got blackmailed by them and got his inheritance screwed/got a slightly smaller giant pile of money because he was probably gay.

Speaking of "Dark Money", anyone here read the book of the same name? I ask because I read the synopsis on Blinkist and it looked pretty fascinating until the last page literally had the sentence "Yet there is one billionaire who can afford the might Kochtopus: Donald Trump" and had Trump's "Crippled America" as "Suggested Reading". Is the author a Trump supporter? Preliminary research doesn't seem to show that. Does the real book have a pro Trump bias or is this some sort of sinister psyop on behalf of whoever "recapped" this?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

That's why you give it to the attorney and don't admit it exists until it's needed.

If it's that simple then why didn't Nixon just pardon himself?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There's no precedent for a president using a pardon when he's not walking out the door so it's impossible to gauge what the reaction would be.

Sadly very similar to all the other career ending scandals, and im sure very disturbing to one or two specific senators

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
bill

bill cheney

he looka like a man

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Skex posted:

Wonderful.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Brother of Hillary Ghazi

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
trump will definitly tweet about this soon: https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/6/15923722/tv-network-ratings-nielsen-viewership

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FizFashizzle posted:

There's no precedent for a president using a pardon when he's not walking out the door so it's impossible to gauge what the reaction would be.

Sadly very similar to all the other career ending scandals, and im sure very disturbing to one or two specific senators

Trump Thread III: There's no precedent for a president...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

eyebeem posted:

Trump Thread III: There's no precedent for a president...

That's not as clever as you think it is. :P

Captain Invictus posted:

Not that he cares about that but I'm sure people have advised him against doing it heavily. I think there's a lot of loving outraged people who are only being held in check because of the mueller investigation and the assumption that justice will be served. However tenuous that may actually be.

When Russia is involved, they should know better than waiting out the opposition. At least by now.

• Locked thread