Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pummeling innocents with a billion watts of molten riffs probably helps a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Pokey Araya posted:

My band just gets on stage with the intention to crush the audience, blow every other band off the stage, and get the most merch sales, and we normally accomplish that. Also having fun on stage will help with all 3 of those.

Your band sucks

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Thx bro, did you pre-order the new record?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pokey Araya posted:

My band just gets on stage with the intention to crush the audience, blow every other band off the stage, and get the most merch sales, and we normally accomplish that. Also having fun on stage will help with all 3 of those.
So, how are you liking Belarus?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gentlepeople, let it be said one needs nothing more than an MXR distortion+ into a Sunn Model T.
All lands within a 20 mile radius just got mount saint helens flattened.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

So, how are you liking Belarus?

Have yet to play there, I'll let you know how it is when I do.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Counterfeit guitars aren't legal to sell in the US and even if they were, this guy's asking for a stupid amount of money.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/6157923166.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Counterfeit guitars aren't legal to sell in the US and even if they were, this guy's asking for a stupid amount of money.

Can't you sell replicas though?

There is a legal difference between manufacturing multiple counterfeit instruments with serial numbers and the like, with the intention of fooling the customer, and creating a one-off "art piece" homage that clearly says the word "replica" somewhere on it.

Not disagreeing with you about the price though.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

It doesn't say that anywhere on it. But it does have "MADE IN USA" and a fake serial number stamped into it. Also the seller lists Gibson as the manufacturer.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe his name's Gibson, don't judge

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's tough times when Zakk Wylde Gibson has to sell his handcrafted guitar on craigslist.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
is that an authentic epiphone gibson?

wanna toss back a few leinies and jam out some bachman turner overdrive on that bad boy

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Oh right, yep that sure is a serial number on there isn't it. Didn't see that earlier.

Well either way, I think we can all agree the most heinous crime committed here was the decision to put square mother of pearl inlays on a maple fretboard.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreatGreen posted:

Oh right, yep that sure is a serial number on there isn't it. Didn't see that earlier.

Well either way, I think we can all agree the most heinous crime committed here was the decision to put square mother of pearl inlays on a maple fretboard.

It's even worse than the electrical tape inlays (which I kinda like but prefer dots)

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

dot supremacy imo

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've told the story before about my buddy who went through a serious Zakk Wylde phase and bought four (4) Chinese bootleg Gibsons at just about $250 each. Two were the camo bullseye bootlegs, one was a blonde guitar where the mid-body seam was off-center by about an inch down by the bottom strap button, and a white "Res Paul" that he tried to sell on eBay almost immediately. They kept taking his auction down even though he was truthful about the origin of the guitar. He plastered "This is not a real Gibson" all over his auction but eBay had rules about selling bootleg items and so it kept getting removed. Eventually he did sell it, and also one of the Camo Zakk Wyle bootlegs to people who knew what they were getting but didn't care. He made money on those sales.

I remember asking him, "You do realize that for the $1,000.oo you spent on the guitars, plus the several hundreds more you spent on bridges, tailpieces, pickups, pots, nuts, tuners, and paying a luthier to do all that work for you plus fretwork, you could have bought a couple fairly nice legit Les Pauls?"

His answer was, "Yeah but then I wouldn't be willing to play them as beater guitars on stage." It's true, he gigged with two of them a lot.

This same dude, many years ago just when we were out of High School, had a decal-maker copy gold stick-on Charvel logos for some strat-style necks. He calls the guitar he built from all non-Charvel/Jackson parts his "Charvel" even though the only thing on it that says Charvel is the fake logo he paid someone to make.

I call him a poser a lot, until he starts to take it personally then I leave him alone.

My friends and I stopped him from ordering Fender water-slide headstock logos simply by relentlessly shaming him over his Res Pauls and his "Charvel."

It's a personal peeve of mine: people putting fake logos on their gear or relicing it for fake cred. My guitars are beat to poo poo, but that's because I've played the gently caress out of them and not one of those dents, scratches, or rust was intentional. It's just a series of accidents that took place over years. I'm sure some people who love JEMs would be appalled at the cosmetic appearance of my 29 year old 77FP but I didn't buy it to put it away for safe-keeping. I wish I had been able to buy two, and save one; but I wouldn't change a thing.

I also wouldn't ever buy a bootleg instrument. On the other hand, I'd love to built myself a very nice Strat-style (S/S/S with vintage trem) out of parts. I'd call it a parts-caster and leave it at that (although I am kinda interested in the Fender Deluxe Strat, the one with a 12" radius and the extra switch that lets you play the neck + mid pickup together, like the Tele mid-position. It's $850. I just wonder if I'd like it, especially the "Fender noiseless single coils.")

Ok, I rambled all over the place here, but those Zakk Wylde Gibsons (the real ones) are crazy expensive, and I have no indication from Gibson's QC issues that it'd be worth that kind of money.

E: Typos as usual.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 10, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My biggest issue with the Zakk Wylde signature guitars is uh

...Well actually it's the cosmetics, I think they're ugly, but the second part is that you could also just buy any decent LP and stick some EMGs in it and have functionally the same thing

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have never been a fan of LPs simply because of three main things:
Weight distribution
Scale length
Height of the strings off the body (palm-muting and picking on that body would be difficult for me after a lifetime of playing Ibanez.)

Now, that doesn't mean I'd turn my nose up at every Les Paul. I'd be thrilled to have a nice Cherry-sunburst tiger-stripe maple guitar, or the black/gold version. Those are classic and I'd be proud to have them. I have no problem with thick necks, either. I have an Ibanez with a Wizard neck and I like the JEM neck more, but I can adapt to playing a song on a ruler and then playing my Tele or Talman with no problem. My hands aren't so small, but I think that's why I like the longer 25 1/2" scale length, and I do like having two octaves to works with, but it's not necessary.

I'd also be pleased to own a simple, vintage-sounding SG.

Plus I don't own a single instrument with P90s in it, and that's a serious deficiency in my collection.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
My stupid music poo poo currently is I sold someone a perfectly working power amp on reverb, which he took to Mexico and is now claiming it's sparking and not working and wants a refund.

I have a feeling I'm about to be boned hard here.

Stupid me didn't take a video of it working properly before shipping.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
dumb question but did you insure the package when you shipped it?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

The Muppets On PCP posted:

dumb question but did you insure the package when you shipped it?

Yeah, that I actually did do.

Edit for more information: I shipped it to him on 6/26/17, and it was delivered on 6/29/17 to the address he asked for in texas. I had UPS box it up and insured it for what I sold it for. He said he picked it up from the place I shipped it to and took it back to his home. He's now requesting a refund through reverb and paypal saying that its sparking and going into protection mode at above ~30% volume. So he's had the thing for almost 2 weeks, and I have a feeling UPS isn't going to want to play ball. I'm going to call them as soon as the store near me opens today and see what my recourse is.

Thorpe fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 11, 2017

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Gentlepeople, let it be said one needs nothing more than an MXR distortion+ into a Sunn Model T.
All lands within a 20 mile radius just got mount saint helens flattened.

Please tell me your impressions of the model fet because I checked out some videos and am gassing like a motherfuck for this. Might try and build one seeing as the wait time and price are large

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Speaking of stupid music poo poo, I have a KH-202 that I need to sell (leftover from my young dumb metal days), how much do you reckon I could charge for it? Condition is absolutely fine.

Also, can anyone recommend a good online retailer that does instalment financing for folk instruments (banjo, mandolin, or accordion specifically)?

RE stagefright, I've performed as a metal band in large venues and as a folk player in pubs and I've always found the toughest gigs are the ones in pubs with no one there. Boring as poo poo. Best ones are busy pubs, I just get hammered before the show so I can belt out the drinking songs with the right attitude.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Chickenbacker 4 Lyfe :henget:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

Speaking of stupid music poo poo, I have a KH-202 that I need to sell (leftover from my young dumb metal days), how much do you reckon I could charge for it? Condition is absolutely fine.

Also, can anyone recommend a good online retailer that does instalment financing for folk instruments (banjo, mandolin, or accordion specifically)?

RE stagefright, I've performed as a metal band in large venues and as a folk player in pubs and I've always found the toughest gigs are the ones in pubs with no one there. Boring as poo poo. Best ones are busy pubs, I just get hammered before the show so I can belt out the drinking songs with the right attitude.

Sweetwater does financing they have almost everything else you could want musically they are bound to have some folksy stuff.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Thumposaurus posted:

Sweetwater does financing they have almost everything else you could want musically they are bound to have some folksy stuff.

Do they ship to the UK?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Andertons offers a finance option on anything over £300.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

Please tell me your impressions of the model fet because I checked out some videos and am gassing like a motherfuck for this. Might try and build one seeing as the wait time and price are large

EAE/John Snyder are the best at this poo poo. It sounds loving incredible. It even has a charge pump that takes it from 9v to 18v for more headroom (and no need for an 18v adapter). It makes everything you run through it sound better (well, if you love the Sunn Model T) and crush harder and doom straight up your butthole. Buy everything John Snyder makes. Everything.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Concatenation posted:

I want to want it, but honestly other than riffing along to some slow as gently caress drum loops what are you gong to do with it?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

Do they ship to the UK?
Found this on an old rear end sweetwater message board:
We do business with many people in Europe. The bestthing to do is to call us at 1-800-222-4700, and speak with a Sales Engineer. We are open from 9 AM to 9 PM, Eastern Time.
Sometimes 800 numbers don't work right from overseas. Our regular toll number is 260-432-8176, or you can send an e-mail to sales@sweetwater.com. Make sure it contains your full name, address, and any other pertinent info.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thorpe posted:

Yeah, that I actually did do.

Edit for more information: I shipped it to him on 6/26/17, and it was delivered on 6/29/17 to the address he asked for in texas. I had UPS box it up and insured it for what I sold it for. He said he picked it up from the place I shipped it to and took it back to his home. He's now requesting a refund through reverb and paypal saying that its sparking and going into protection mode at above ~30% volume. So he's had the thing for almost 2 weeks, and I have a feeling UPS isn't going to want to play ball. I'm going to call them as soon as the store near me opens today and see what my recourse is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the entire used market surrounded by a giant "buyer beware" mantra for basically everything?

Isn't your recourse basically:

1. this whole thing is a "your word against mine" case and your word is that the thing you sold worked fine when you shipped it
2. the other guy has had 2 whole weeks to abuse it 6 ways from Sunday himself, and he can't prove he didn't just break it and is now looking for a way out by having you pay for his equipment abuse
3. 1 and 2 don't matter anyway, it's used gear sold as-is. Buyer beware. Sorry Charlie.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 11, 2017

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Southern Heel posted:

I want to want it, but honestly other than riffing along to some slow as gently caress drum loops what are you gong to do with it?

Huh, you may have just sold me on this pedal.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Thorpe posted:

My stupid music poo poo currently is I sold someone a perfectly working power amp on reverb, which he took to Mexico and is now claiming it's sparking and not working and wants a refund.

I have a feeling I'm about to be boned hard here.

Stupid me didn't take a video of it working properly before shipping.
You might get lucky on the parties involved thinking it's a scam. I've had a few pickups do this before- buyer is an address in Florida, return complaint is from Japan or whatever the gently caress, suddenly they're quiet or hiss or some poo poo. Suspicious how everything stops working after it gets shipped a second time, right? But I've always been found in the right when it came up.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the entire used market surrounded by a giant "buyer beware" mantra for basically everything?

Isn't your recourse basically:

1. this whole thing is a "your word against mine" case and your word is that the thing you sold worked fine when you shipped it
2. the other guy has had 2 whole weeks to abuse it 6 ways from Sunday himself, and he can't prove he didn't just break it and is now looking for a way out by having you pay for his equipment abuse
3. 1 and 2 don't matter anyway, it's used gear sold as-is. Buyer beware. Sorry Charlie.

dunno about reverb but ebay (and more specifically paypal) almost always screws over the seller in these cases

about all you can do is file a claim with whoever you shipped it through and hope they give you enough to cover it

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 12, 2017

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Is there something about this that is obviously fake? I'm not that familiar with this model so I'm curious. One could also read the title as describing a replica made by Gibson of Zakk Wylde's personal guitar. I guess that would be a too-good-to-be-true price for an LP custom.

edit: I see the center of the bullseye is not centered on the bridge pickup like on genuine Gibsons (or Epis for that matter), which might imply the body is actually smaller than a real one.

donut fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 12, 2017

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Southern Heel posted:

I've been looking into pedal preamps to make me less reliant on whatever backline I end up with; normally we bring mini tube heads with us but they're annoying to carry and we can't use them in Japan with their 110V power. Japanese venues often provide a Marshall or something so I could run my rig straight into the power amp and not worry about how old and lovely the preamp tubes are (eg. indonesian festival backline is usually early 90s JCMs that have literally never been retubed)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

donut posted:

Is there something about this that is obviously fake? I'm not that familiar with this model so I'm curious. One could also read the title as describing a replica made by Gibson of Zakk Wylde's personal guitar. I guess that would be a too-good-to-be-true price for an LP custom.

edit: I see the center of the bullseye is not centered on the bridge pickup like on genuine Gibsons (or Epis for that matter), which might imply the body is actually smaller than a real one.

Apart from the price, the serial number looks like a giveaway.

http://www.gibson.com/Support/Serial-Number-Search.aspx/ posted:

Zakk Wylde Les Paul
Bullseye and the rare "Rough Top" version numbered in sequence as "ZW xxx"
Camo version numbered in sequence as "ZPW xxx"

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 12, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol @ why would you want a model t (it's to slam fuzzes into) being a question.

Speaking of preamps, my Verellen Meatsmoke arrives Thursday. :getin:

edit:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 12, 2017

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

donut posted:

Besides the bullseye being off center as you pointed out:
  • plating on all the hardware looks like it's coming off
  • pickup screws are wrong
  • binding on the headstock accentuates the wrong shape
  • center inlay in the headstock and the truss rod cover are both crooked
  • string nut is a massive plastic thing
  • tuners are not Grovers
  • little Zakk logo on the back is the wrong size and crooked
  • top control plate screws are in the wrong position
My spergy sense is tingling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also the note inside the electronics cavity scrawled in pinyin that says "trapped in factory for 2 months. only 7 years old. please help"

• Locked thread