Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The best Jokers are all the animated ones, when you think about it.

Yes, even the one voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My issue with the Joker is that the way he is written now, and for the past 6 or so years, just shows how incompetent Batman is. Here is a mass murderer who escapes every few weeks and goes around where ever he wants and racks up the body count before Batman does anything. If anything writers in the past few years have made the Joker to powerful. I agree that the best take on the Joker is the one who isn't trying to kill all of Gotham but the one that would rather play a prank where people die, like poisoning whoopie cushions or some such bullshit.

As for this arc, it hasn't really caught me like the previous ones did. I'm not a big fan of the framing device of it being a flashback with Bruce telling Selina the story. If it was such a big event you would expect Selina to just say "I know Bruce, I was there". If King wanted it to be a flashback that is fine, but doesn't need Bruce to tell us the story.
I don't mind gang warfare stories and I guess Riddler and Joker would make for great adversaries, but I still don't really know what their plans and motivations are (well Joker sure, but not quite sure on Riddler) and it feels like this might be a slow burn of a comic. I am looking forward to Kite-Man though. Hopefully he ends up the break out star of this arc.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dexie posted:

Animated Joker really is the best take on the character, isn't he?

What's the closest version of the Joker in the comics to the animated Joker? Aside from the TAS tie-in comics, of course.

The Joker in the 70s up into the Super Powers era right before Crisis probably, there's a lot of BTAS episodes that are adapted from comic book stories around that time. The Laughing Fish in particular lifts the Joker's dialogue directly from the comic.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dexie posted:

Animated Joker really is the best take on the character, isn't he?

What's the closest version of the Joker in the comics to the animated Joker? Aside from the TAS tie-in comics, of course.

I feel like No Man's Land Joker was pretty close to TAS Joker.

Honestly, I don't mind this current take on the Joker. I absolutely despised N52 Joker. Just a really bad take on what Morrison did.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I want more of the Joker who stole a kid's good report card, made the kid cry because he thought his father wouldn't believe him, and then laughed about it while saying "Ha! I made someone cry!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Norns posted:

It seems like it's been a while since Joker was about laughs? He wasn't particularly funny in Morrison's run either.

"What is it about sombreros? Some things are just naturally funny."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, the other issue with the Joker is due to his status, he mustn't be allowed to die. But this has extended to such ridiculous lengths for Batman to protect the Joker. It's not enough that he does not kill him. Now also no villains can kill him, other heroes can't kill him, the law can't kill him. And that'd be fine if he, ya know, wasn't a mass murdering psychopath. But since he's similarly able to murder everyone, clown on every hero, and he can't ever receive any repercussions that matter... he's just loving boring.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Onmi posted:

Also, the other issue with the Joker is due to his status, he mustn't be allowed to die. But this has extended to such ridiculous lengths for Batman to protect the Joker. It's not enough that he does not kill him. Now also no villains can kill him, other heroes can't kill him, the law can't kill him. And that'd be fine if he, ya know, wasn't a mass murdering psychopath. But since he's similarly able to murder everyone, clown on every hero, and he can't ever receive any repercussions that matter... he's just loving boring.

Well they could always do what they did in the 80s. Grandoise supposed deaths that we all know the Joker survived. Kinda like in TAS when a giant shark ate him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pretty clever to reference both Death of Superman and Knightfall with the covers.

So much for him being Rorschach

Artemis and Jason are so cute together :kimchi:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Honestly, the posters above me explained much better than I could why I hate the Joker. Joker jokerizing the JLA was the height of stupid for me, and him being some sort of omnipotent untouchable boogieman is dumb as all heck.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Onmi posted:

I honestly long for an issue where Batman has to protect the Joker from the citizens of Gotham because they have had enough of the poo poo. With the body count he keeps racking up you would think everyone in the city would want him dead by now.
It all goes back to the writers though. The thinking is that the only way we can make a Joker a threat is by starting an arc of him killing several people because he can. It's somewhat predictable now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My idea for the Joker is that the country passes a very complicated, technical law that boils down in effect to bringing back the concept of outlawry and applying it to the Joker. He wants to live in a world with no rules? Great, wish granted, the law will no longer protect him, anything anyone wants to do to the Joker is totally legal. It changes his whole dynamic -- the Joker now has to at least be wary of everyone else, because if he's pissed you off in the past you can just shoot him in his stupid grinning face. Is he sure that his henchmen are loyal? Because they can steal from him and then go tell the cops exactly what they did and where the Joker is, that is, if they didn't just wait until he fell asleep and then shot him in his stupid grinning face. He can't rely on getting caught and going to Arkham, because if the cops get their hands on him for even a second they would immediately shoot him in his stupid grinning face.

And of course, it gives you one gently caress of a hook to hang stories on: Batman won't kill the Joker, so what does he do now? How does he stop the Joker when making the Joker stay stopped and contained can no longer be someone else's problem?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Madkal posted:

My issue with the Joker is that the way he is written now, and for the past 6 or so years, just shows how incompetent Batman is. Here is a mass murderer who escapes every few weeks and goes around where ever he wants and racks up the body count before Batman does anything.

This is where I am right now. I've been reading Batman because of Tom King, and I was enjoying it until these last couple of issues, when suddenly we're right back in the lightless hell version of Gotham where it's constantly stalked by immortal, relentless multiple murderers who can't be stopped by anything short of direct divine intervention.

They could really stand to do a couple of years of Batman where he's just a detective again, with all of his rogues dead or imprisoned, because at this point, Gotham isn't safe for human habitation. They could institute the same free-fire policies as The Purge and it would make no measurable difference in the life of an average civilian.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Throw him in the speed force, what could go wrong

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
the riddler being joker lite is dumb, but need a new murderous villain for a Batman movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Riddler, I think, works best when his goal is beating Batman's intelligence, not his brawn. It's the primary defining feature of the character. I don't think, like some, this means he needs to be nonviolent but I think any violence involved should only be as part of that overall goal. He can threaten someone to motivate Batman (or whoever he wants to outsmart) but he shouldn't be taking delight and pleasure in the violence so much as the act of being the smartest rear end in a top hat in the room. Making him Jigsaw I think defeats the point because with The Riddler I think a completely non-violent murder or death would serve his purpose just as well as long as it emphasized his intelligence. Frankly, I think you could do a good story where it appears that it's a completely violent awful trap but when someone fails it turns out to be completely non-lethal because for Riddler the win is being smartest, not in killing. (And leaving someone alive becomes a walking talking reminder of I BEAT YOU (x)!"

Edit: Honestly, by and large, I think Batman villains are more interesting and scary if killing isn't their primary feature. They can kill of course but very few of them need or should be killing. I think it's possible, even trivial, to take almost every major Batman supervillain and write a compelling pitch for them where they rarely or don't kill. The hardest one I think would probably be Ra's who is a genocidal eco-terrorist but he's also probably the largest scale villain Batman has.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 10, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

the riddler being joker lite is dumb, but need a new murderous villain for a Batman movie.

I really would love to see a take on mobster Penguin. Move away from the DeVito take and just make him the crime boss of Gotham, battling for control against Falcone and Maroni, etc. and bringing in some supervillains like Deathstroke, Blockbuster, and lesser known villains like that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Onmi posted:

Also, the other issue with the Joker is due to his status, he mustn't be allowed to die

Snyder just killed him off for two years.

Edit: A police officer shot The Joker in the head in Morrison's first issue. Batman did cradle him like it was a tragedy, but whether you like it or not, that's Batman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 10, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also Joker hasn't been in a story since Endgame, before DC You and way before Rebirth.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

pubic works project posted:

I really would love to see a take on mobster Penguin. Move away from the DeVito take and just make him the crime boss of Gotham, battling for control against Falcone and Maroni, etc. and bringing in some supervillains like Deathstroke, Blockbuster, and lesser known villains like that.

Someone needs to watch Gotham

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He also was pretty much that in the Arkham games.

I also really like the "neutral" Quark-esque Penguin who runs the Iceberg lounge like a Casablanca for villains and tersely puts up with capes who mess with his business as much as he is able. That I either imagined or pops up occasionally.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Someone needs to watch Gotham

I refuse because that was the exact premise I wanted and it just looks poorly executed.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He also was pretty much that in the Arkham games.

I also really like the "neutral" Quark-esque Penguin who runs the Iceberg lounge like a Casablanca for villains and tersely puts up with capes who mess with his business as much as he is able. That I either imagined or pops up occasionally.

I do like that Penguin as well. I feel like that's how he is now in Rebirth, but less villain Casablanca-y.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Halloween anthology one-shot 'DC House of Horror' announced
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/07/10/exclusive-super-powered-scares-await-in-dc-house-of-horror?sf96718461=1

quote:

When you think about it, superheroes are awfully scary.

I mean, just look at the Justice League. You have an all-powerful alien capable of shooting beams from his eyes that can melt metal, a speedster who has a habit of messing with our history and altering the timeline in the process, a young man who can access and take control of every computer network in the world within a matter of seconds, a woman who’s strong enough to toss a tank and can make you confess all your deepest secrets, two dubiously responsible individuals who each wield the most powerful weapon ever created, and of course, Batman—the man who pretty much defines terror.

Yes, all of these heroes are good-hearted and despite the power they wield, would never seek to harm anyone. However, it’s easy to see how they could quickly become our worst nightmares if something were to ever go wrong. Heck, it’s what Lex Luthor has been warning us about all of these years.

So DC’s new Halloween-timed one-shot, DC HOUSE OF HORROR #1, holds plenty of potential for super-powered scares. An all-new, all-creepy one-shot set in the DC Universe, DC House of Horror features the contributions of some of the most exciting voices in contemporary horror fiction, including Bram Stoker Award winners Brian Keene and Weston Ochse, Bram Stoker nominees Edward Lee and Mary SanGiovanni, and other masters of horror including Wrath James White, Nick Cutter, Ronald Malfi and Bryan Smith. They’re partnered up with some of our best artists, including Rags Morales, Bilquis Evely, Howard Porter, Scott Kolins, Dale Eaglesham and others for some short stories that will keep you reading late into the night.

Martha Kent fights for her life against a creature from a spacecraft that lands in front of her farmhouse! A young woman is possessed by the spirit of a murderous Amazon warrior! The last surviving member of the Justice League faces down a horror beyond imagining! Those are only a few of the tales within, but if they’re not enough to get you screaming like you’d just been hit by Scarecrow toxin, well, Keith Giffen is involved with this bad boy, too.

Look for the 80-page DC HOUSE OF HORROR #1 on October 25, 2017.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 10, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I refuse because that was the exact premise I wanted and it just looks poorly executed.

It is a ridiculous show, but in a Batman '66 way not a Schumacher way.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

That sounds interesting, and that's a heck of a line-up.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Pretty clever to reference both Death of Superman and Knightfall with the covers.

So much for him being Rorschach

Artemis and Jason are so cute together :kimchi:

Actually it's the opposite of clever, it's hackneyed, and those panels are loving illegible

e: I can read them now, but the dialogue is worse than the scribbles they used to be

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 10, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is that supposed to be Question? Why is he evil?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Roth posted:

Is that supposed to be Question? Why is he evil?

Maybe ? Also, I'm gonna assume the bullet hole might be a clue to the fact someone did him raw and shot him at some point. Just guessing.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Isn't the Question part of the Trinity with Phantom Stranger and Pandora? Please God have DC fix that and bring back Vic Sage.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It is duela dent back for revenge

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Isn't the Question part of the Trinity with Phantom Stranger and Pandora? Please God have DC fix that and bring back Vic Sage.

That Question died on the way back to his home planet as far as I know. Vic Sage was re-introduced in N52 as running the Suicide Squad with Waller when Deathstroke and Joker's Daughter join, but whereas Trinity Question at least played a role in Forever Evil and had all the hallmarks of the character, N52 Vic Sage is just a dumb corrupt patsy who gets arrested at the end of the arc.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 11, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Honestly, by and large, I think Batman villains are more interesting and scary if killing isn't their primary feature. They can kill of course but very few of them need or should be killing. I think it's possible, even trivial, to take almost every major Batman supervillain and write a compelling pitch for them where they rarely or don't kill. The hardest one I think would probably be Ra's who is a genocidal eco-terrorist but he's also probably the largest scale villain Batman has.

Ra's is like a James Bond supervillain; he doesn't have to kill many people, he just has to have a plan that would.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Edit: A police officer shot The Joker in the head in Morrison's first issue. Batman did cradle him like it was a tragedy, but whether you like it or not, that's Batman.
He literally threw him in the garbage.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Have we not seen Vic Sage or Renee Montoya since Rebirth? Considering how definitively they threw Pandora in the trash, it's surprising that they wouldn't immediately rehab the good characters tainted by that bullshit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

purple death ray posted:

Also Joker hasn't been in a story since Endgame, before DC You and way before Rebirth.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with people talking like Joker storylines like one just happened

also I'd rather see someone do something new and fun than just recycle BTAS poo poo for the umpteenth time because that's what people liked as kids

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

CapnAndy posted:

Have we not seen Vic Sage or Renee Montoya since Rebirth? Considering how definitively they threw Pandora in the trash, it's surprising that they wouldn't immediately rehab the good characters tainted by that bullshit.

quote:

Vic Sage was re-introduced in N52 as running the Suicide Squad with Waller when Deathstroke and Joker's Daughter join, but whereas Trinity Question at least played a role in Forever Evil and had all the hallmarks of the character, N52 Vic Sage is just a dumb corrupt patsy who gets arrested at the end of the arc.

As for Renee, she was Harvey Bullock's partner while Gordon was running around in a mecha-Batsuit with his moustache shaved off. I have no idea what's happened to her since, but she's still not the Question, which sucks!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
She appeared in a few issues of Detective Comics in Rebirth to have "ex" tension with Batwoman.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Norns posted:

Just saying if you're upset every time the joker shows up, maybe you should take a break from Batman for a bit?

I actually do when a Joker storyline comes up. Reading only digitally makes it easier to do so admittedly, since you don't have to manage some pull list.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The follow-up to American Alien is happening. Batman and Robin focused.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/11/max-landis-teases-american-alien-followup-superman-agent-batman/

Didio teased a Secret Squirrel design.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/11/dan-didio-shows-us-winter-stash-secret-squirrel-howard-porter/

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ragman miniseries from Ray Fawkes in October.
http://www.cbr.com/ragman-gotham-city-new-dc-comics-miniseries/

quote:

War vet Rory Regan is plagued by the death of his time after a failed mission to find a hidden treasure in the Israeli desert. While battling survivor’s guilt back home in Gotham City, Regan discovers that he actually bought the treasure back home with him, in the form of the Suit of Souls. The Suit of Souls has the ability to trap and collect the souls of others, including those of his dead partners.

With the aid of his dead teammates, Rory begins to learn more about the abilities of the suit, when something evil begins to brew in Gotham. An evil demon from hell wants the Suit of Souls, and is sending his minions to retrieve it for him. Now Rory must learn how to use the suit and its powers to stop these evil forces from invading Gotham City before it’s too late.