Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

FizFashizzle posted:

There's no precedent for a president using a pardon when he's not walking out the door so it's impossible to gauge what the reaction would be.
The founding Fathers left a lot of the rules regarding the presidency somewhat vague, because they never considered that we could ever lower our standards so far that we'd need every bit of it spelled out.

But we fuckin' showed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CmdrRiker posted:

If it's that simple then why didn't Nixon just pardon himself?

Didn't need to, also sincerely believed he didn't do anything illegal

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

JasonV posted:

Accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt. I'm no lawyer, but I bet you can impeach the president if he's been pardoned. You're just taking away the criminal punishment with a pardon, but you can still remove him from office for the same crime he just confessed to.

You can impeach a president for anything you want, whether they committed a crime or not is irrelevant.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Of course it's NBC that does this.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, they probably think they might still be able to worm their way out of this, you know, because they are so much smarter than us and he keeps hiring the best people to deal with it and what part of the The Best People are you unclear about?

Lol if you think they even need to "weasel out" of anything. I may (hopefully) be mistaken, but isn't the consensus still that we're all just tinfoil hat-wearing weirdos for still talking about Trump and Russia?

That's the vibe I'm getting from, well everybody I know aside from myself and people in this thread.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't know, the Frost/Nixon interviews paint a different picture.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Overwined posted:

I don't know, the Frost/Nixon interviews paint a different picture.

If the president does it . . .

Say rather could not consciously, overtly admit to himself he did anything illegal

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Grimdude posted:

Lol if you think they even need to "weasel out" of anything. I may (hopefully) be mistaken, but isn't the consensus still that we're all just tinfoil hat-wearing weirdos for still talking about Trump and Russia?

That's the vibe I'm getting from, well everybody I know aside from myself and people in this thread.

I'm guessing those people also think both parties are equally evil as well?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Of course it's NBC that does this.

I can only wonder how many folks watched "Da AppRenTissE" and "Th e Apprentics" over the years.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

If the president does it . . .

Say rather could not consciously, overtly admit to himself he did anything illegal

I agree but stress the overtly part. The reason I came to the conclusion that he knew full well what he did was wrong was because of the mental acrobatics he performed to dry and convince Frost (and the country) that he did nothing wrong. I feel a truly innocent man would be more flabbergasted at the accusation and have less defense tactics used to get an exoneration on a technicality.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Grimdude posted:

The consensus among idiot Republicans, maybe. A decent majority of Americans think there's something going on

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That not true.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Overwined posted:

I agree but stress the overtly part. The reason I came to the conclusion that he knew full well what he did was wrong was because of the mental acrobatics he performed to dry and convince Frost (and the country) that he did nothing wrong. I feel a truly innocent man would be more flabbergasted at the accusation and have less defense tactics used to get an exoneration on a technicality.

Yeah. Nixon's downfall was he was capable of feeling shamem. a weakness Trump does not share.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Yeah. Nixon's downfall was he was capable of feeling shamem. a weakness Trump does not share.

Yeah, to that point, and I think this was even linked in the first thread, have you ever heard the audio where he asks Kissinger, "You got a problem with that, Henry?" when Kissinger objects to notion of nuking the entirety of Vietnam and Cambodia to end the war? loving bone chilling stuff.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
"He had aspired to and achieved the ultimate luxury: an existence unmolested by the rumbling of a soul."

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/884539406320898048

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
While I don't doubt that Trump genuinely believes he can do no wrong, I'm sure he knows that other people think many things he does are wrong. You don't avoid prosecution for horrific crimes for decades without having an awareness that they are crimes and a willingness and ability to defend against being held accountable for them.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Would he do it again
In a heartbeat

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

*Still votes for poo poo* - McCain.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Overwined posted:

How old is Ivanka in that shot where she's basically sitting IN her father's lap?! My god...just...

Donnie saw a 13 yearold Paris Hilton when talking to her dad and almost said out loud "drat can I gently caress her?

And when Ivanka turned 18 she begged him to promise not to gently caress anyone younger than her.

Bondii
May 31, 2003
King of The Cider Farm

PhazonLink posted:

Donnie saw a 13 yearold Paris Hilton when talking to her dad and almost said out loud "drat can I gently caress her?

And when Ivanka turned 18 she begged him to promise not to gently caress anyone younger than her.

If this is true, I must see that amazing source.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/884538944305713152

lmbo

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Child molestation/pedophilia is such a heinous accusation that normally it's never something I would seriously suspect anyone of without very compelling evidence.
That said, the ratio between 'things Republicans are themselves guilty of doing' and 'things Republicans baselessly accuse others of doing' is basically 1:1 at this point. So what I'm saying is, it's wholly possible the GOP is running some sort of child sex dungeon under the Tortilla Coast or some other crazy poo poo.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/884542244786774016?s=09

Hahaha.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Child molestation/pedophilia is such a heinous accusation that normally it's never something I would seriously suspect anyone of without very compelling evidence.
It's good that SA has made it a bannable offense to just willy nilly call someone a pedophile now. Had a group of wannabe helldumpers try and smear me with that with zero evidence recently and it was nice to see that sort of poo poo not being tolerated anymore. Too much of it actually happening to people in real life let alone on internet forums. perfectly petty

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
At this point John McCanin should be insulted at every turn and in the worst possible ways about not being able to grab a position that a Russian Stooge can win. He is a vile, two-faced coward that should have no decency shown for him, after all he supports anything Trump does even after he called him a loser for being tortured by the Vietcong. We should just find him when he's having lunch and just have a bunch of people start screaming at him in Vietnamese and see if he goes all deer hunter.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I know I should be mad, but I find it even funnier we once though the FBI would be on his side.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The day that Donald Trump became precedent. :patriot:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Just in case there was even a single person at the FBI who didn't already loving hate him.

Dick Trauma posted:

The day that Donald Trump became precedent. :patriot:

I can't wait to steal this joke on facebook later when he gets convicted.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I thought they had decided to go forward after awarding the contract to a major donor?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

PhazonLink posted:

He said he normally wasn't into girls that young. But not in a "it's morally wrong" way, it was like he thought it was just a preference that he happened to not be into.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

empty whippet box posted:

Just in case there was even a single person at the FBI who didn't already loving hate him.

It just amazes me. He started with the FBI literally cheating to win him the election because they were republican stooges and has managed to piss them all off so much they've done a complete 180. They gave him the election on a silverplate, with a side of knish if you get my drift, and he has just repeatedly destroyed that goodwill over and over again.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That said, the ratio between 'things Republicans are themselves guilty of doing' and 'things Republicans baselessly accuse others of doing' is basically 1:1 at this point. So what I'm saying is, it's wholly possible the GOP is running some sort of child sex dungeon under the Tortilla Coast or some other crazy poo poo.

Air port bathrooms actually.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ague Proof posted:

He said he normally wasn't into girls that young. But not in a "it's morally wrong" way, it was like he thought it was just a preference that he happened to not be into.

lol "normally"

Weren't there allegations that trump raped at least one 13 year old?

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Suck a dick McCain.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jesus I completely forgot about all the alleged rape.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
TRUMP: “I've known Paris Hilton from the time she's 12.”

STERN: “She's hot.”

TRUMP: “Her parents are friends of mine and the first time I saw her she walked into a room and I said, ‘Who the hell is that?’”

STERN: “Did you want to bang her?”

TRUMP: “She's a very ... Well, at 12 I wasn't interested. I've never been into that. They've sort of always stuck around that 25 category.”

STERN: “Have you seen the video, the sex video?”

TRUMP: “I have seen it.”

STERN: “You did? What did you do? You went on the Internet?”

TRUMP: “No, it was just on the Internet.”

STERN: “How did you see that? What did you do?”

TRUMP: “Melania showed it to me.”

STERN: “What did you think of that? Did you see ...”

TRUMP: “I think it's probably unfortunate and perhaps it made ... What is that noise?”

STERN: “That's the tape.”

TRUMP: “All right. I think it's probably unfortunate and it made Paris hotter in terms of the world because the world is so screwed up. I mean, you think a thing like that is going to destroy, like Hugh Grant who I love. I think he's great. He's a member of my golf club. You would have think he would have been destroyed by what happened to him and he's the biggest star now than he ever was, so you never know what happens but I think it probably made Paris even better.

:allbuttons:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dennis-hastert-wants-sex-abuse-accuser-return-hush-money-n709116
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Hastert

It's, like, all projection

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

empty whippet box posted:

lol "normally"

Weren't there allegations that trump raped at least one 13 year old?

He flat out admitted to creeping on underage girls in the dressing room at pageants.

MAGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Majumbo posted:

You can impeach a president for anything you want, whether they committed a crime or not is irrelevant.

Firstly there are a bunch of legal theories out there which indicate that self-pardons aren't something the president can do. But there is also a fun a legal theory floating out there that even if self-pardons were a thing impeachment could void a self-pardon because the maximum punishment of "disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of Honor, Trust, or Profit" would include disqualification from any ongoing benefits of the office (that's the "enjoy" part) and the self-pardon would be best categorized as an ongoing benefit of office.

It's one of those crazy hypothetical thought experiment things and ordinarily would be quite a long shot. BUT if you've gotten to the point where a president has self-pardoned; congress has impeached, convicted, and imposed the maximum penalty; AND people still want to prosecute them you are so far beyond ordinary that there is no way to know how it would go.

• Locked thread