Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pureauthor posted:

I think he means 'getting rid of the Occuria + whatever bad poo poo happened in the time gap has led to a significantly lower standard of living in Ivalice'.

I mean, obviously. But its that "whatever bad poo poo" that's really responsible. The Occuria seemed kinda bad too.

And sometimes you gotta break down to build up, Ivalice ain't great but post FFT you overthrow the church and maybe things get better?

lol then there's FFT Advance which I just can't really fit into the same world as FFT and FFXII at all, may as well call them separate worlds IMO. What's the point? But FFTA does seem like the most positive of the 3, at least the world the kids start out in is pretty advanced and also fairly peaceful? Not sure if that takes place before or after though... the timeline is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

And sometimes you gotta break down to build up, Ivalice ain't great but post FFT you overthrow the church and maybe things get better?

The very premise of FFT is that Ramza is forgotten and lost to history and Delita isn't and in fact goes on to be remembered as a fantastic ruler while Oran is burned at the stake by the Church for trying to publish the truth. Like at some point the truth is published but you sure don't overthrow the church.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean, obviously. But its that "whatever bad poo poo" that's really responsible. The Occuria seemed kinda bad too.

lol then there's FFT Advance which I just can't really fit into the same world as FFT and FFXII at all, may as well call them separate worlds IMO. What's the point? But FFTA does seem like the most positive of the 3, at least the world the kids start out in is pretty advanced and also fairly peaceful? Not sure if that takes place before or after though... the timeline is weird.

Pretty sure the FFTA Ivalice is in an imaginary world created by the book in the game and not actually the same world.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I need to play FFT.

Sounds like it has an amazing story. Played it on the psp years ago but i stopped probably during a hard fight or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Andrast posted:

Pretty sure the FFTA Ivalice is in an imaginary world created by the book in the game and not actually the same world.

One of them is real. The book ivalice is imaginary but the kids are in the real FFT world to start with, just way way later. Or... way way before? I can't remember. The whole thing is silly.

Sefal posted:

I need to play FFT.

Sounds like it has an amazing story. Played it on the psp years ago but i stopped probably during a hard fight or something.

Its basically Game of Thrones and I love how grounded it is compared to every other FF.

Its really more Tactics Ogre than Final Fantasy, really.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
It boggles my mind that, almost twenty years later, we still don't have a proper follow-up to FFT.

Seriously, I don't even think there's any 'copycats' that aren't terrible. Is Tactics Ogre PSP the closest we'll ever get?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The tactics advance games are okay

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

The tactics advanced games are okay

Worse than FFT in every way though

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

MMF Freeway posted:

The tactics advance games are okay

It's why I used the qualifier 'proper'.

Funnily enough, I played FFTA then FFT a couple years after. Never went back.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sure, but I'd at least consider them copycats that aren't terrible. Well, I liked ta2 at least

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Corvinus posted:

Dual jobs diminish the value of base stats, but weapon animation speeds can still matter quite a bit in certain cases.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rBpOmegCizn3KOPwrKvC5yipu9Yfh0IZ6YE-mh_e59g/edit?usp=sharing has a bunch of sample job combos and reference data (including animation speed).

Edit: Interesting conclusions such as Fran being best Monk (with heavy armor secondary job), Basch having the best combo dps for Breaker, despite his low Vit.

This is great! I was just using a Word document to plan my parties but this is much better.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FFTA before you unlock cid = fun, pretty game-y having to deal with laws, not as good as FFT
FFTA after you get cid = really funny going up against warriors and banning melee combat

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno if the Advance ones were worse than FFT in every way. I quite liked them, and for some reason grinding out abilities didn't feel as tedious as in FFT.

IIRC though in either FFTA1 or 2 it's impossible to 100% the game without multiplayer which was kind of annoying

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Corvinus posted:

A second job can be picked after Belias and both are fully active. Learning a license on one board activates it on the other, if that job also contains that same license. A few people have said that the game feels a bit more difficult that IZJS, so it's possible that enemies were buffed to compensate for dual jobs, but that's not fully confirmed.

That's weird, because I thought they said in interviews that they were going to make the difficulty easier to get into rather than the opposite. I'm cool with it either way, just surprised.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ventana posted:

That's weird, because I thought they said in interviews that they were going to make the difficulty easier to get into rather than the opposite. I'm cool with it either way, just surprised.

they said it would be easier but they didn't say whether that was deliberate downtuning of encounters (unlikely) or easier with the second job and quality of life features (more likely)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Also never underestimate the power of not being a dumb kid anymore when replaying a Final Fantasy game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kelp Me! posted:

I dunno if the Advance ones were worse than FFT in every way. I quite liked them, and for some reason grinding out abilities didn't feel as tedious as in FFT.

IIRC though in either FFTA1 or 2 it's impossible to 100% the game without multiplayer which was kind of annoying

FFTA is the only one with multiplayer, but I don't think there is anything exclusive to it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FFTA is an okay game with some weird ideas but the story is just completely lame compared to how cool FFT was.

Thunder Bear posted:

It boggles my mind that, almost twenty years later, we still don't have a proper follow-up to FFT.

Seriously, I don't even think there's any 'copycats' that aren't terrible. Is Tactics Ogre PSP the closest we'll ever get?

FFT was the follow-up. The Tactics Ogre series is where its at.

There hasn't been anything as good since, no, but there hasn't been anything as good as FF6 or even FF10 since. Square is kinda meh these days. All flash and no substance. (FFXIV the mmo is great for an mmo, okay for an RPG, and its sad that its better than FFXIII or FFXV)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

Yeah, it's a child's perception/projection of FF12-era Ivalice. Somebody - Mewt I think - talks about how Final Fantasy are his favorite games during the intro parts of FFTA.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
FFTA2 is the best Ivalice title.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

Right but

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah, it's a child's perception/projection of FF12-era Ivalice. Somebody - Mewt I think - talks about how Final Fantasy are his favorite games during the intro parts of FFTA.

Yeah, I'm not exactly obsessed with the lore of FFTA but the way I read it:

FF12 era Ivalice
|
|
V
FFT era Ivalice
|
|
|
V
FFTA era St.Ivalice ---------> Fantasy projection of long historical and partially mythological FF12 era Ivalice

I was referring to the FFTA era St. Ivalice, not the Fantasy Projection. Its so far in the future that its basically unrelated to FF12 and FFT, although I guess the idea of exploring a fictional world based on history is okay? And for that matter FFT and FFXII are pretty different. Almost seems silly to try to put them all into the same universe.

The other reading is that FFTA era St.Ivalice came first, created the Fantasy Projection which then IS the real FF12 era Ivalice, which happened after. AFAIK there's no definitive answer there.

I've never been a big fan of crazy multiverses. I don't like Zelda timeline theories, just let them each stand alone. Seems like a lot of work for little benefit.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 10, 2017

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Also never underestimate the power of not being a dumb kid anymore when replaying a Final Fantasy game.

Seriously. Holy poo poo I was a dumb kid. These games are easy.

FFTA is even easier, which is why it sucks. :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FFTA is great because you can murder Montblanc.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Death, kupo!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I seem to vaguely recall there being an official timeline published by SE for the FFT/XII games but I can't be arsed to find it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

exquisite tea posted:

When I first played FFX when it came out, I got pushed down into the canyon by the Chocobo Eater and was really sad that I failed the Chocobos :smith:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

FFTA before you unlock cid = fun, pretty game-y having to deal with laws

if weed is an inhaler for bullshit instead of asthma, and enemies are immune to both the short- and long-term effects of laws (yes i do want to spend five times the amount of gil i make in a single map to bail one guy out gently caress off game, and i love how boss enemies ignore redcarding), then i need whatever it is you're smoking to make you immune to the purestrain bullshit that is ffta

Kelp Me! posted:

this is pretty much right though: being able to gain AP for five abilities at once instead of JP on your main job class and then 10% of your allies' JP gain is a really positive reworking. i mean they both work well in their own way though, fft lets you really break everything by giving you access to every ability at the very beginning of the game. i wonder if you could do such a thing in a game balanced around equipment/AP.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 10, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toi9xFD61tQ

x2/x4 speed is a toggle, you can switch between english and japanese VO, auto-saves are in the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tae posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toi9xFD61tQ

x2/x4 speed is a toggle, you can switch between english and japanese VO, auto-saves are in the game.

We already knew that :cheeky:

Is... is this doritos pope? Is Easy Allies the new GameTrailers? I think I heard that was gonna be a thing and then I didn't ever hear anything from it. Weird name.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Guess which game came a day early?

So far Final Fantasy XII looks great on the upscale, although some textures aren't hi-res.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Zaphod42 posted:

We already knew that :cheeky:

Is... is this doritos pope? Is Easy Allies the new GameTrailers? I think I heard that was gonna be a thing and then I didn't ever hear anything from it. Weird name.

Geoff Keighley was never the voice for the GT reviews. Brandon Jones was and Easy Allies is him and the ex GT dudes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Geoff Keighley was never the voice for the GT reviews. Brandon Jones was and Easy Allies is him and the ex GT dudes.

Oh wow really? Somehow mixed that up all along. In retrospect, makes sense.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
FFTA2 and FFTA take place in separate worlds, right? FFTA is fake recreation Ivalice and FFTA2 is the actual Ivalice? Or something outrageous like that?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

FFTA2 and FFTA take place in separate worlds, right? FFTA is fake recreation Ivalice and FFTA2 is the actual Ivalice? Or something outrageous like that?

I think it's meant to be the same thing since Luso also comes from the real world transported via magic book

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Zaphod42 posted:

Right but

Yeah, I'm not exactly obsessed with the lore of FFTA but the way I read it:

FF12 era Ivalice
|
|
V
FFT era Ivalice
|
|
|
V
FFTA era St.Ivalice ---------> Fantasy projection of long historical and partially mythological FF12 era Ivalice

I was referring to the FFTA era St. Ivalice, not the Fantasy Projection. Its so far in the future that its basically unrelated to FF12 and FFT, although I guess the idea of exploring a fictional world based on history is okay? And for that matter FFT and FFXII are pretty different. Almost seems silly to try to put them all into the same universe.

The other reading is that FFTA era St.Ivalice came first, created the Fantasy Projection which then IS the real FF12 era Ivalice, which happened after. AFAIK there's no definitive answer there.

I've never been a big fan of crazy multiverses. I don't like Zelda timeline theories, just let them each stand alone. Seems like a lot of work for little benefit.

Don't forget Vagrant Story somewhere between FFT and FFTA.

Another game we'll never see a proper sequel to. :smith:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Calaveron posted:

I think it's meant to be the same thing since Luso also comes from the real world transported via magic book

No but you see in the first FFTA the book literally transforms their world. It's... a little different.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The real Ivalice was the friends we made along the way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

The real Ivalice was the friends we made along the way.

And how they all died when Marche destroyed the world.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm coming up to endgame on FFX. I got everyone's celestial weapons unlocked, I'm running people through their second sphere grids (got Auron and Kihmari on Wakka's, Tidus on Auron's, Rikku's on Tidus and I swapped Lulu and Yuna). My hits are doing about 15k damage. I've been mostly grinding Omega Ruins, before I set up those insane weapons to farm AP with the overdrive->AP trick. At what point are the dark aeons passable? I haven't fought Omega Weapon but it doesn't look that hard, even though the HD version gave it a bunch more HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think there's like a cliff of grinding between when you can do Dark Aeons legit and when you can tackle Omega