Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/884229641279389697

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm stupidly intrigued by the idea of the Penske P1 Honda team.

Can we get IMSA back at Mid Ohio please?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Cygni posted:

Andretti apparently missed his first IndyCar race since 1993 to have a meeting with VW at the Indy GRC race.
Third ICS engine manufacturer CONFIRMED.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Andretti apparently missed his first IndyCar race since 1993 to have a meeting with VW at the Indy GRC race.

Wonder if it's:

VW proper, Porsche, Audi, or Lambo.

or Porsche running P1 in IMSA? Couple of options. Lambo sounded like it was close a while back.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

y'all theorycrafting hard

it's just a renewal of the grc contact

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's no way it's VW proper, I have to think they'll keep that brand out of racing for like a decade or more.

Juicy Juice
Nov 12, 2011

Where we're going, we don't need roads...
Andretti runs the VW Global Rally Cross program and has won the last two years, so contract renewal seems most likely.

Juicy Juice fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 10, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

y'all theorycrafting hard

it's just a renewal of the grc contact

Well Lambo teased the idea of being involved.

They flaked being afraid the stage and risk of failure was too big. Perhaps they're reconsidering? I don't know.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/140838-frye-on-third-indycar-manufacturer-interest

That or Michael is gonna be fielding a DPI program.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'm in the camp of it having nothing to do w/Indycar.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If Motorsport.com is anything to go by, we're getting head protection next year. Good.

Also, thoughts on the race.

1. Disappointed in a Penske win but Helio getting one after that wait is cool.
2. JR is going to be a driver to watch in the future.
3. Gutierrez finished 13th, only a lap down. I think he'll probably settle into a solid mid-field player in the future if he stays.
4. Jones finished 3 laps down and the last of the cars to actually finish. Figured he'd outdo his DCR counterpart
5. AJ Foyt needs to do something good.
6. Dear NBC: I understand that FOM is pressuring you to put more races on the main network, but airing a rebroadcast on NBC proper over the Indy Race? Come on. I understand that time is a factor here (broadcast F1 at 1600 EDT, wraps up by the 1800 local news), but giving an F1 rebroadcast over a live Indy race is not cool.
7. Marco screwed over JR. Yes, technically it was for position, but because of Marco, JR couldn't get in front allowing Helio to leapfrog both and leaving JR stuck in traffic.
8. That rain delay was... weird.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also totally stealing this from Bentai:

https://twitter.com/AlexanderRossi/status/884231209164734464
https://twitter.com/Indycar_MN/status/884243118752751616

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

iospace posted:

6. Dear NBC: I understand that FOM is pressuring you to put more races on the main network, but airing a rebroadcast on NBC proper over the Indy Race? Come on. I understand that time is a factor here (broadcast F1 at 1600 EDT, wraps up by the 1800 local news), but giving an F1 rebroadcast over a live Indy race is not cool.

The current TV contract gives exclusive broadcast/"antenna" TV rights to ABC. NBC couldn't show Indy on NBC proper if they wanted to.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theris posted:

The current TV contract gives exclusive broadcast/"antenna" TV rights to ABC. NBC couldn't show Indy on NBC proper if they wanted to.

Oh, didn't know :saddowns:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

If Motorsport.com is anything to go by, we're getting head protection next year. Good.

Also, thoughts on the race.

1. Disappointed in a Penske win but Helio getting one after that wait is cool.
2. JR is going to be a driver to watch in the future.
3. Gutierrez finished 13th, only a lap down. I think he'll probably settle into a solid mid-field player in the future if he stays.
4. Jones finished 3 laps down and the last of the cars to actually finish. Figured he'd outdo his DCR counterpart
5. AJ Foyt needs to do something good.
7. Marco screwed over JR. Yes, technically it was for position, but because of Marco, JR couldn't get in front allowing Helio to leapfrog both and leaving JR stuck in traffic.
8. That rain delay was... weird.

1. Despite all the poles that Penske has won at Iowa, this was their first win in the 11 years of the race.
2. JR is a good driver, yesterday's P2 matched his career best (2011 Indy 500) and is his 3rd career podium
3. Gutierrez is ok, he did make it up to P8 or P9 at one point which is decent for his first career oval
4. I was disappointed in Ed Jones, it sounded like his setup wasn't the best
5. Yeah AJ Foyt is the biggest disappointment of the year, and switching from Honda to Chevy didn't help
6. What Theris said, but I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC proper get races in the new TV contract
7. Marco tried his best (which isn't much) but nobody had anything for Helio
8. Yes that rain delay was weird, I had radar pulled up on my laptop and I called it about 10min before the rain started. Some of us in the media center were joking about Barnhart throwing the green flag after 2 laps of yellow

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, is there any serious chatter of a new race next year or no?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Sounds like not, but apparently they're going to bump Phoenix so that it's back to back with Long Beach.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sounds like not, but apparently they're going to bump Phoenix so that it's back to back with Long Beach.

I'd be interested in doing a Phoenix/Long Beach doubleheader.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

the strongest rumors remain about Portland, which makes sense as the NW is an area with history as a fanbase that isn't served, or for things overseas, namely a race in China. But by now most fans of American open wheel know not to trust overseas race rumors until the green flag is dropped.

honestly since they're introducing a new aero package next year, and expansion of the championship has been solid in the last few years, it'd almost be best if they just held serve with what they have now in 2018. "Date equity" is an underrated part of racing - the knowledge that this event is annual helps ingrain it to fans and in a greater community, and as IndyCar is just starting to get that back again, it would be best to be cautious and conservative with the schedule IMO.

(have to admit though a Long Beach/Phoenix double would be smart and very good on their part)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I understand the pointless endeavor China is from a fan perspective but I'm 95% sure its about attracting another manufacturer that wants reach beyond a limited NA market.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Assuming the schedule minus Phoenix is on the same weekends next year...

Put Portland between Mid Ohio and Pocono? It's a three week break right now.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Australia 2002 was a complete and total farce. No wonder this series died.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finished 2002. Pretty depressing after the previous 6 seasons. Da Matta monstered everybody (including his own teammate). Andretti seemed to struggle all year, Ganassi and Brack never clicked and on top of that suffered from poor luck. Junqueria, Franchitti, and Carpentier drove very well. Toyota had the best engine, Honda a close second and Ford well back. Despite being bankrupted the Reynards showed pretty well. I'd say the real surprise of the year was Jourdain Jr; he finished in the points 17 times.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Road America really should be the date after Pocono.

Portland should be after Milwaukee (I know it's dead. shut up), and Belle Isle. Cleveland would have been this week followed by Toronto, and Michigan.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

I finished 2002. Pretty depressing after the previous 6 seasons. Da Matta monstered everybody (including his own teammate). Andretti seemed to struggle all year, Ganassi and Brack never clicked and on top of that suffered from poor luck. Junqueria, Franchitti, and Carpentier drove very well. Toyota had the best engine, Honda a close second and Ford well back. Despite being bankrupted the Reynards showed pretty well. I'd say the real surprise of the year was Jourdain Jr; he finished in the points 17 times.

Toyota is heartbreaking because they did throw a lot of money at the Atlantics, CART, and IRL to gain traction only to find that they were late to the party.

Same exact thing happened in Cup, but perhaps in that situation it was even worse. Seriously, go see how fans react when you bring up "Toyota" in those circles. They loving hate them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think they were "late to the party"; rather CART pissed off both Honda and Toyota simultaneously so they left. And the IRL was trash so the ROI was poor.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Gutierrez impresses in oval debut
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/142169-gutierrez-impresses-in-oval-debut

Hunter-Reay continues Iowa success
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/142171-hunter-reay-continues-iowa-success

ROSSI: The mysterious art of oval racing
http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/142140-rossi-the-mysterious-art-of-oval-racing

PRUETT: Helio, sportscars – and a million moving pieces
http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/142196-pruett-helio-sportscars-and-a-million-moving-pieces

quote:

Moving Montoya sideways to accommodate Newgarden's arrival made sense, but why would Penske commit so early to downsizing from four cars to three?

Persistent rumors of a downturn in spending from Verizon, and a possible departure as IndyCar's title sponsor after 2018, could be part of the answer.
:ohdear:

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 11, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Australia 2002 was a complete and total farce. No wonder this series died.

I remember those races.
The one I remember (might have been the final one before Indy took over and made it "not for points") had a jet flyover and was on the Gold Coast and all this other "cool" stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone knew the teams, I don't think anyone knew the drivers and I don't think anyone cared because F1 is infinitely more prestigious and in a much larger city that isn't mostly tourists and bogans, and the V8s are ARE FUCKEN RACING CARS WOOOO GO PETE, GET EM GEEEEET EMMMM.

If they'd been able to find a way to get a race in Sydney, and if they'd really put the effort in, they could probably have found a market that was "under-served". Instead they took the money from a Queensland government desperate to remind Australians that "Hey, it's really sunny and we have nice beaches here, please come!".

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 11, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Portland is on Father's Day Weekend in the middle of the Rose Festival or no deal :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

Portland is on Father's Day Weekend in the middle of the Rose Festival or no deal :colbert:

I'm sure the drivers who also race at Le Mans would love that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/GrahamRahal/status/884825786292633604

AJ Foyt has a victory at Silverstone in 78!

god.

my stupid fantasy is to have IndyCar/XFinity team up to bring :911: style racing to europe. Hit up Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Rockingham, Eurospeedway and the like. It'll never happen because europeans won't go, but drat that'd be cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

An Indy race at Silverstone would be amazing but the costs of going overseas would pretty much kill any chance.

:sigh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Silverstone is a garbage track but it seems like far from the worst place Indycar could go run.

Weren't the travel costs to Brazil footed by the race organizer? Probably still an order of magnitude cheaper than F1.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If they want to go to the UK they should go back to Brands Hatch but run the full Grand Prix circuit this time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

If they want to go to the UK they should go back to Brands Hatch but run the full Grand Prix circuit this time.

I like the Indy circuit, but I'm dumb.

You also have rockingham and eurospeedway just chilling over there. Still stunned NASCAR never tried running a series over there for lulz.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

gret posted:

Brands can only use the Grand Prix loop approximately never because people bought houses near a race circuit and then were surprised there was a race circuit.

So really it's Silverstone and Donnington. Maybe the Rockingham roval. I'm not sure the oval would attract the crowds.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gret posted:

The Indy circuit is a loving joke

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dudley posted:

Brands can only use the Grand Prix loop approximately never because people bought houses near a race circuit and then were surprised there was a race circuit.

So really it's Silverstone and Donnington. Maybe the Rockingham roval. I'm not sure the oval would attract the crowds.

gently caress NIMBYs! I don't think Rockingham has SAFER barriers, so it's unlikely IndyCar would race there.

Norns posted:

The Indy circuit is a loving joke

It's perfectly fine for BTCC weekends, but yeah it would be a boring procession like the last time ChampCar raced there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Have Rockingham and Silverstone split transport costs baby.

(im just havin a laff)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I joke, but england seems to be a non-starter for american auto racing series. Same with most of europe (...maybe Italy? I'm not sure.).

Maybe if Button, Alonso, and Raikkonen had full time rides after they hung it up? That's about the only scenario where I could see people going en mass to see the IndyCars. No one gave a poo poo when like Dario and co raced there in 2001-2002 for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Vando mentioned that we were doing this about a week ago and stuff is starting to come together a little more, so go read about the planned Indygoonapolis 500 here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789348&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=51

• Locked thread