Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I remember when people were defending the Mozgov contract by using the "that's a perfectly normal deal in the new high-cap era" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wasnt Parsons good once?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

I understand all the talk about Cam Payne, but we need to shine a light on Doug McDermott as well...he's bad..

But McBuckets is good

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Blind Pineapple posted:

I remember when people were defending the Mozgov contract by using the "that's a perfectly normal deal in the new high-cap era" line.

It's a good deal because Timid Timo deserves love and praise, he's been a good boy.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWS9OaIXH4E

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Blind Pineapple posted:

In my defense I thought their would be an amnesty with the new CBA.

I was wrong.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA9qXG7pLM0

Timid Timo stretching the floor

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasnt Parsons good once?

Put up 7.5ish winshares twice, ~2.5 bpm during his 3 year "peak." He was pretty good but his good years were not worth any amount of the trouble that followed

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasnt Parsons good once?

Yes, his final two seasons in Houston and two in Dallas he was a quality starting wing. Around like, fourth best player on a good team level. His last season in Dallas he was dinged up a bit, but still a good player when he played. The problem is this year with the Grizz even when he was on the floor he was very bad. I am pretty sure that he will not be that bad again, but don't know if he will go back to being the ~7 WS player he was before.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Deng, Noah and Mozgov are tied for worst because they literally happened minutes after free agency began. Turner is terrible because he's not a starter. Mahinmi and Biyombo were defensible because Biyombo was coming off a great postseason and both were projected to be better than Noah/Mozgov going into the season but they both became backups. Also giving Mahinmi that money when you already have Gortat was stupid, it would've made more sense for a team that lacked a starting caliber center.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Both Portland and Grizzlies offered him that contract. Dallas's medical staff supposedly warned against a resigning. Parsons blew Cuban a kiss and cuban warned that hell kill him if he did that again.

see parson is interesting, even if he sucks. whats dieng and mosgov offering? Noah is just sad sack now.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The Biyombo signing is not defensible because Orlando had just traded for serge and had Aaron Gordon

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Disillusionist posted:

Deng, Noah and Mozgov are tied for worst because they literally happened minutes after free agency began. Turner is terrible because he's not a starter. Mahinmi and Biyombo were defensible because Biyombo was coming off a great postseason and both were projected to be better than Noah/Mozgov going into the season but they both became backups. Also giving Mahinmi that money when you already have Gortat was stupid, it would've made more sense for a team that lacked a starting caliber center.

Mahinmi's was the opposite of defensible imo, he is and was old, an offensive black hole and his good year was such an obvious aberration (literally 2 to 3x his usual output) that most people here saw this whole thing coming

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
                                                  Min              FG               3PT

Well that's unfortunate

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Metapod posted:

The Biyombo signing is not defensible because Orlando had just traded for serge and had Aaron Gordon

I meant in terms of how much he got, not really who signed him. And I thought the trade happened after, not before. I could very well be wrong though.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Mahinmi's was the opposite of defensible imo, he is and was old, an offensive black hole and his good year was such an obvious aberration (literally 2 to 3x his usual output) that most people here saw this whole thing coming

I suppose. I always thought of him as a solid, if not spectacular starting center. Compared to Mozgov (who was coming off a major injury) and Noah (multiple injuries), his money doesn't seem as bad. The fit and need angle is much less defensible to me.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

kiimo posted:

There's going to be a lot of NBA movement after the Cascadia subduction zone destroys Vancouver, Seattle and Portland.

That earthquake fault is utterly terrifying - and I say that as a resident of San Francisco, where we have our own earthquake problems which should not be minimized.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Disillusionist posted:

I suppose. I always thought of him as a solid, if not spectacular starting center. Compared to Mozgov (who was coming off a major injury) and Noah (multiple injuries), his money doesn't seem as bad. The fit and need angle is much less defensible to me.

The other ones are just as bad or worse, I just meant that none of them are defensible really

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Re: Cameron Payne

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/884543400891908096

:thunk:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

That's frustrating for me to read and I don't even give a hoot about what happens to the Bulls. Get that billboard up quickly

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/884532507110121473

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

OzFactor posted:

I would love that but there's no way this city would support an NBA team. I feel like successful "small market" (SD is not at all small but that's how it's labeled) teams work by tapping into their host cities' identities, and if San Diego has an identity, it's that it's the City That Is Really Pretty But Has Absolutely Nothing Under the Surface. We're working on an MLS team, which I think would work, but the developers that are pushing it are particularly shady and keep getting called out on their bullshit, so we'll see.

They supported an NFL team for decades. An NBA team is easy compared to that.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Intruder posted:

Welcome! :getin:

If you love flops mastery of the NBA ruleset you've come to the right place

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

pubic works project posted:

Like I really wish Reggie Miller would do what Magic did with the Dodgers and put together a group to buy the Pacers. I know a lot of people don't like Reggie around here, but I feel like he would put together a group of people to run the franchise right from an ownership level.

Trusting an Indiana legend to coach/run the team is what got them in this poo poo in the 1st place.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

pubic works project posted:

Like I really wish Reggie Miller would do what Magic did with the Dodgers and put together a group to buy the Pacers. I know a lot of people don't like Reggie around here, but I feel like he would put together a group of people to run the franchise right from an ownership level.

Yeah he'd run it right. Right into the ground

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wasn't the Deng contract offer like tens of millions more than any team was offering him? I could have sworn I heard a report about how he was negotiating with a team and the Lakers called with a deal like $30 million over what any other team was offering.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

luol deserves every penny

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mario chalmers has had a prosperous NBA career and I will not stand for this slander

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Yup

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I think San Diego would support a team if the arena was well located near downtown.

However, they will not cough up the cash to build an arena with public funds to lure a team and make a billionaire even richer. Only a couple places in California are dumb enough to do that anymore.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

predicto posted:

I think San Diego would support a team if the arena was well located near downtown.

However, they will not cough up the cash to build an arena with public funds to lure a team and make a billionaire even richer. Only a couple places in California are dumb enough to do that anymore.

:thunk:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
All a billionaire needs to do is get a friendly city council. A great example of how to completely subvert democracy can be seen with the Braves stadium ordeal. Cobb County residents will be paying for that shitbox for 50+ years, and their only recompense...vote out the fuckers who authorized it to be built. Too bad

San Diego would be a terrible place for an NBA team anyway unless the clips moved back

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Biyombo deal was absolutely dumb at the time, as are 99% of the "this dude sucks but just had a good playoff game" signings

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Kenny Smith on the #RocketsSummer broadcast, when asked about "reports" of Carmelo wanting Houston: "They aren't reports. He IS interested."

theres been a ton of middling at best sourced reports suggesting similar but heres another. It seems like everyone involved wants to do it but finding a trade that makes sense is really tough.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why would NBA owners want to expand and split that national TV money more?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Niwrad posted:

Why would NBA owners want to expand and split that national TV money more?

Someone just paid $2 billion for a franchise, I'm sure there's a number that'd work for them

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/884556663415390208
Khem Birch looks like Andre Drummond's raggedy brother

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Disillusionist posted:

Mosgov played better than Mahinmi and Biyomobo, though. And so did Deng (and it wasn't within minutes of free agency).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Niwrad posted:

Wasn't the Deng contract offer like tens of millions more than any team was offering him? I could have sworn I heard a report about how he was negotiating with a team and the Lakers called with a deal like $30 million over what any other team was offering.

It was more than Miami was offering, but I don't recall it being by a huge amount, I think maybe 2-3 mil a year more, but I can't find a solid source

Though, this tweet certainly hasn't aged well
https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/749233819304079360

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Luol Deng's contact looks bad, although all these supermaxes that will continue through the mid 30s are going to make it seem like the quaint little salary floor hitter for a tanking team that it was meant to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/884563297848119296

• Locked thread