Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

7 years seems like a long time for a little dwarf man

worked out pretty well the last time tampa had a dwarf man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Tyler Johnson is awesome but I would've guessed he produced more points than he actually does. He's a weird little beast in the playoffs, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

xzzy posted:

It's a camera crew's job to capture whatever might be newsworthy.

If you gonna get mad at someone, get mad at arena security for not keeping their dumbasses out of the way.

Or maybe the medics for dropping the guy.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Give me the Johnson

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
it may be tiny but he'll give it to you

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

7 years is a long time but $5M AAV seems like pretty good value. Unless he totally falls off a cliff that should be a pretty tradeable contract if TBL needs to move him earlier

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
if you're desparate for hockey, the sabres are streaming their summer prospect 3-on-3 tournament. there's only 2 games left i think, but whatever: https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/live-3-on-3-tournament/t-277437090/c-40474303

rick jeanneret and rob ray are announcing!!!!!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

sign the jagr

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/RonCookPG/status/884702922344411137

how reliable is this guy

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

He works for the Post Gazette and has for years so I imagine he's correct.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hfboards wants tocchet/oats/nelson which would be fine with me.

also i'm reading the raanta players tribune thing and i didn't realize he's got a goofy finnish dog thing on all his masks so i'm glad the coyotes goofy dog mask tradition didn't end with mike smith

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/ArizonaCoyotes/status/884819577330216960

official

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWS3Ln8AQ7x/

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

hahaha Subban slipping into the routine half-way through

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/azc_mclellan/status/884827489138204673

out of eakens, keefe, and nelson, so like i said he probably had a good explanation for how to win without 3 or 4 of the proven greatest players of this decade

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:thunk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm suing her right now for defamation because I feel I brought some really innovative ideas to my interview.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens named Recchi as their new assistant coach to replace Tocchet and continue their proud tradition of putting Mario's friends behind the bench.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So here's something fun. The Flyers AHL affiliate has let assistant coach (and former flyer enforcer) Riley Cote go. He went on BSH's podcast and said Jordan Weal has gotten hosed around being stuck in the AHL because of politics

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens named Recchi as their new assistant coach to replace Tocchet and continue their proud tradition of putting Mario's friends behind the bench.

Lol this will be quite amusing to see. Could be worse I suppose.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Oh yeah, locked up a forward at least which was traditionally considered hitting his prime (26-27 years old) who can play 1st line minutes and has averaged 57pts/82games over the past four seasons.

(ahahahaha buyout bait in three years)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

So here's something fun. The Flyers AHL affiliate has let assistant coach (and former flyer enforcer) Riley Cote go. He went on BSH's podcast and said Jordan Weal has gotten hosed around being stuck in the AHL because of politics

I guess politics is politics, but given that there are what, 12-14 forward spots at any one time when factoring in lineups and injuries, I'm sure a lot of players are in the "too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL" category. I thought Laughton ran into a similar issue before he was weirdly protected in the expansion draft.

That being said, Weal looked pretty good, and let's face it, Philly isn't exactly stacked lineup wise right now.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

DJExile posted:

Does politics mean Hakstol wouldn't scratch Vandevelde or Bellemare if he had a gun to his head?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Does politics mean Hakstol wouldn't scratch Vandevelde or Bellemare if he had a gun to his head?

I'm guessing it was a combination of this and the forwards being a general logjam anyway.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Scott Laughton signed a 2 year deal AAV under 1 mil

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Totally good with that

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Ligur posted:

Oh yeah, locked up a forward at least which was traditionally considered hitting his prime (26-27 years old) who can play 1st line minutes and has averaged 57pts/82games over the past four seasons.

(ahahahaha buyout bait in three years)

Look at the wrong on this guy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's going to suck for better than half of that but it's only $5 million.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

For some reason I thought he was supposed to be a defensive stalwart but it looks like his shot suppression has gotten worse every season so unless he's the second coming of Marty he's going to be like every other tiny guy and fall of a cliff when he hits his late twenties.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

For some reason I thought he was supposed to be a defensive stalwart but it looks like his shot suppression has gotten worse every season so unless he's the second coming of Marty he's going to be like every other tiny guy and fall of a cliff when he hits his late twenties.

Palat is the defensive stalwart you're thinking of, and as a matter of fact MSL was terrible defense-wise too.

I don't think that teej is a good Player to compare to MSL. He's more of a shooter, and I think that he's had one good year, been injured a lot, and the league has basically figured him out.

But $5 million for a 45-55 point guy (of which I think he still is) that turns it up for the playoffs is an objectively fair contract, and in three years it will not be a "buy out" it will be completely forgotten.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

So apparently no one, including some teams and possibly the league had any idea how LTIR works.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/7/11/15956056/toronto-maple-leafs-ltir-no-one-knows-what-is-going-on-nhl-off-season-connor-brown

Tl;dr is that unlike what everyone has ever said, you can use LTIR to go over the cap in the offseason and no one has needed to try before or had other reasons not to. The story says even other teams were wondering what the Leafs were going to do with Connor Brown's RFA contract while the Leafs acted as if nothing was wrong.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
heres something to read on russian hockey https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/884522437454561280

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I imagine he was immediately sent to the gulag before the first point could be tweeted out.

I read all of them

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Ginette Reno posted:

He works for the Post Gazette and has for years so I imagine he's correct.

Ron Cook is also a shitbag and then decided to write this today:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2017/07/11/ron-cook-rick-tocchet-coyotes-coach-phil-kessel-penguins-nhl/stories/201707120024/

Basically says to trade Kessel now that Tocchet isn't there to coddle him from Sullivan.

pseudodragon posted:

So apparently no one, including some teams and possibly the league had any idea how LTIR works.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/7/11/15956056/toronto-maple-leafs-ltir-no-one-knows-what-is-going-on-nhl-off-season-connor-brown

Tl;dr is that unlike what everyone has ever said, you can use LTIR to go over the cap in the offseason and no one has needed to try before or had other reasons not to. The story says even other teams were wondering what the Leafs were going to do with Connor Brown's RFA contract while the Leafs acted as if nothing was wrong.

Didn't this happen a few years ago? I want to say it was the Flyers, or maybe someone else in that division. But everyone was salivating at the thought that you had to be cap compliant at the start of the season before you could use LTIR and would force them to trade some people, and then the team said "no here's our interpretation" and got to go over at the start.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 12, 2017

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Listen guys nobody's signed Chris Neil yet what are your teams waiting for

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Nobody's signed Jared Cowen either!

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Schremp Howard posted:

Ron Cook is also a shitbag and then decided to write this today:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2017/07/11/ron-cook-rick-tocchet-coyotes-coach-phil-kessel-penguins-nhl/stories/201707120024/

Basically says to trade Kessel now that Tocchet isn't there to coddle him from Sullivan.

Didn't this happen a few years ago? I want to say it was the Flyers, or maybe someone else in that division. But everyone was salivating at the thought that you had to be cap compliant at the start of the season before you could use LTIR and would force them to trade some people, and then the team said "no here's our interpretation" and got to go over at the start.

It was with Pronger a few years back. I posted the part of the CBA to look at earlier in this thread

Gunjin posted:

You can have players on LTIR before the season starts and be exceeding the cap on day one. Look at 50.10 (d) illustration 4 in the CBA, it discusses putting a player on LTIR prior to opening day.

It's vague as poo poo, but it's in there.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
45 points in 49 playoff games during the 2 Stanley Cups but they hate him and are going to trade him yeah OK. I mean, the only ones off the table entirely are Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Murray but there can't possibly be a trade involving Kessel that gets any kind of value in return.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

45 points in 49 playoff games during the 2 Stanley Cups but they hate him and are going to trade him yeah OK. I mean, the only ones off the table entirely are Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Murray but there can't possibly be a trade involving Kessel that gets any kind of value in return.

Not to mention he's easily the most important player on the powerplay. He runs it from the left side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It sure is amazing that Phil Kessel was named best forward in the 2014 Winter Olympics without Rick Tocchet there to rock him to sleep every night.

• Locked thread