Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

And how they all died when Marche destroyed the world.

Either that or the magic that sustained their species slowly died out because Ashe decided to not take The Magical Superbeings' deal and to also kill their connection to the world.

Ivalice is a world of rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I could be wrong but to actually beat the dark aeons in a legit fight without Yojimbo I think you'd need to be doing like 99,999 a hit. I don't think I fought them until I was already mostly done with the insane monster arena/sphere grid grind though so maybe not

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dark Aeons fall between completely filling out the sphere grid and min-maxing it with the correct addon spheres. Closer to the latter for most of them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If it takes that much effort to defeat FFX's superbosses then maybe Spira deserved to be destroyed by Sin.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Makes you think that penance is more difficult than sin.......

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

Makes you think that penance is more difficult than sin.......

Final Fantasy X was truly the Ulysses of video games.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

got ff12 hd early

it looks incredible
it plays great
turbo mode owns and is wacky as hell

i'm on the ride of my life, haters vacate

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

got ff12 hd early

it looks incredible
it plays great

Can't wait for the inevitable PC version

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
How are you guys getting The Zodiac Age early?

I would've loved to play it today - I'm working all day tomorrow. :suicide:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thunder Bear posted:

How are you guys getting The Zodiac Age early?

I would've loved to play it today - I'm working all day tomorrow. :suicide:

Some stores put it out early, some people live in places where it's already the 11th (like Australia).

What's the install size on it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

US Amazon delivered it a day early

kirbysuperstar posted:

Some stores put it out early, some people live in places where it's already the 11th (like Australia).

What's the install size on it?

40.9 GB install, I'm not used to ps4 so I think that might be what's on the disk and not what's installed. :shrug: I don't think I installed anything other than a small 100 MB update

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

US Amazon delivered it a day early

40.9 GB install, I'm not used to ps4 so I think that might be what's on the disk and not what's installed. :shrug: I don't think I installed anything other than a small 100 MB update

Its 40 GB. The ps4 installs everything of the disc and only uses it for verification on start-up.

And yeah, timezones are how people get the games early, and some vendors not caring too much. When i still bought physical i had a place i could preorder stuff from and they would just start sending stuff when they got it in, so sometimes it showed up a couple of days early.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zedprime posted:

Dark Aeons fall between completely filling out the sphere grid and min-maxing it with the correct addon spheres. Closer to the latter for most of them.

gently caress.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I don't mean to potentially spoil anything, but isn't there an esper or 2 that are conditional obtains based on meeting specific criteria?

I can't remember for the life of me from when I played the vanilla game ages ago.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hagie posted:

I don't mean to potentially spoil anything, but isn't there an esper or 2 that are conditional obtains based on meeting specific criteria?

I can't remember for the life of me from when I played the vanilla game ages ago.

There is one that you have to complete a specific side quest for and you can still complete it even if you sell the item it requires and that you only get one of. There's also one which requires you to have at least 10 other espers I think.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I thought there was one that you have to have some kind of certain key, and the key is in a place you can't revisit once it is closed off. Or something to that effect...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hagie posted:

I thought there was one that you have to have some kind of certain key, and the key is in a place you can't revisit once it is closed off. Or something to that effect...

I think you get a key for completing that side quest and I know there's a few areas you can't revisit, but none of them have anything to get espers. The espers will always be available to you.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

got ff12 hd early

it looks incredible
it plays great

The 4x speed made so I can clear a dungeon in 5 mins and amass 90LP. Holy chocobo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwrBzCMkYrA

:siren: YOU CAN BRING ITEMS FROM TRIAL MODE TO THE REGULAR GAME :siren:

it's a powergamer / speedrunners dream holy moly

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your video is horrifying because the dude is using menu commands for more than "attack this target"

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Kelp Me! posted:

Where did you hear about that? Everything I read says they were functionally identical games except for the model swap and replacing a few instances of "father" with "brother" or whatever

That's not an inaccurate way to describe in with relation to a lot of aspects of the story. For the most part, very little about the events in the story changes for having Nier be an older father or a younger brother, but there are some major changes in Nier's perspective on said events due to one being a world weary father and the other being a naive 16 year old brother. Brother Nier's story about a sudden and traumatic loss of innocence leading to him losing sight of what's important stands out a bit more than Father Nier's story about finally being worn down to the point that soldiering on is all he has.

It also helps that there's a running theme with orphaned brothers struggling to deal with the loss of their siblings that Brother Nier fits nicely into.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 11, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i am tim! posted:

That's not an inaccurate way to describe in with relation to a lot of aspects of the story. For the most part, very little about the events in the story changes for having Nier be an older father or a younger brother in terms of events, but there are some major changes in Nier's perspective on said events due to one being a world weary father and the other being a naive 16 year old brother. Brother Nier's story about a sudden and traumatic loss of innocence leading to him losing sight of what's important stands out a bit more than Father Nier's story about finally being worn down to the point that soldiering on is all he has.

It also helps that there's a running theme with orphaned brothers struggling to deal with the loss of their siblings that Brother Nier fits nicely into.

What isKaine's and Brother Nier's relationship? I would imagine that dynamic would be quite different and one of the more interesting points of divergence.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Holy poo poo I finally beat FFX after going on/off over several months since it came out on the PC. Pretty much every time I'd stop it'd be at one of the cloister trial things, I found the patience to do the Zanarkand one this weekend and finished up the game too.

I basically didn't grind at all except to fill overdrives for I think Seymour Flux and the final boss. The Yunalesca fight was pretty irritating since I lost on my first try to Lulu overdrive loving up on the final hit (spinning the analog on a Steam Controller is basically impossible) and then having to watch the unskippable cutscenes was god awful.

On the other hand the final boss holy gently caress lol I haven't felt that underleveled/underprepared since like KOTOR1. I got like 3/4ths through him towards the end for a few tries but I kept getting owned. I decided to just cheese him with Yojimbo so I could go to sleep.

I had something like 40 hours logged on Steam and that was with using 4x speed for tons of walking around/battling. I have like no clue how anyone could grind without the 4x speed on PC. I mean the animations and battles are cool but after you've seen them a few times, I feel like you've seen them all.

I had a good time with FFX looking back on it. Don't think I'll rush into FFX-2 anytime soon though, gonna try FF7 first.

cerious fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 11, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

cerious posted:

I had something like 40 hours logged on Steam and that was with using 4x speed for tons of walking around/battling. I have like no clue how anyone could grind without the 4x speed on PC. I mean the animations and battles are cool but after you've seen them a few times, I feel like you've seen them all.

the same way everyone did

be 12

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Once 10GB is installed you can play up until Rogue Tomato Hunt and then the game stops you from going back in the city and continuing the story until after the rest of the game is downloaded. I guess I could grind wolves and cactoids for LP and XP for two hours...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Once 10GB is installed you can play up until Rogue Tomato Hunt and then the game stops you from going back in the city and continuing the story until after the rest of the game is downloaded. I guess I could grind wolves and cactoids for LP and XP for two hours...

be glad it didn't stop you after that

you might be tempted to grind dustia for hours

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A few hours into Zodiac Age:

Made Vaan a Shakiri. Surprisingly good, daggers being fast are great and good combo rate.
Balthier's an Uhlan. Kinda... disappointing so far? Nothing to sell it on me over another job yet.
Fran's a Time Battlemage. Honestly no matter what job you choose, she's going to be insanely helpful just for immediate access to Cure and Fire, and you can pick up Blizzard/Thunder for her as well. If your guys don't have healing, it's just Fran and Potions.
Basch is a Monk. Like Fran, he's good early on just because of immediate access to Heavy Armor and the Mythril Blade, which will sustain him for a while in terms of damage.

Just hit Bhujerba, but made Penelo a Red Battlemage for the twenty minutes I had her. Ashe is gonna go White Mage most likely.

Kinda sad your backups don't level up though, kinda disincentives keeping everyone levelled.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

A few hours into Zodiac Age:

Made Vaan a Shakiri. Surprisingly good, daggers being fast are great and good combo rate.
Balthier's an Uhlan. Kinda... disappointing so far? Nothing to sell it on me over another job yet.
Fran's a Time Battlemage. Honestly no matter what job you choose, she's going to be insanely helpful just for immediate access to Cure and Fire, and you can pick up Blizzard/Thunder for her as well. If your guys don't have healing, it's just Fran and Potions.
Basch is a Monk. Like Fran, he's good early on just because of immediate access to Heavy Armor and the Mythril Blade, which will sustain him for a while in terms of damage.

Just hit Bhujerba, but made Penelo a Red Battlemage for the twenty minutes I had her. Ashe is gonna go White Mage most likely.

Kinda sad your backups don't level up though, kinda disincentives keeping everyone levelled.

I wonder what Jobs will be least used/popular?

I never used my backup team in vanilla for the reason you said bu there might be no other choice here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad modern RPGs have mostly done away with characters not in your active party getting no exp

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Does The Zodiac Age fix FF12's biggest flaw of characters having noses?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm glad modern RPGs have mostly done away with characters not in your active party getting no exp

Yeah I always really hated it. It generally forced me to focus mostly on one party except when there were forced plot splits, because grinding up the other characters to match is a pain.

FFX had everybody level together didn't it? Maybe I'm mis-remembering. But if so, kinda funny they went back to the old style with FFXII.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In FFX only people who participated in a battle got exp but it was so easy to swap them in and out that wasn't really a problem.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder what Jobs will be least used/popular?

I never used my backup team in vanilla for the reason you said bu there might be no other choice here.

Honestly you could probably still get away with just levelling 3-4 characters. One's your healer, the other 2-3 for DPS. Having at least one for elements and/or ranged is pretty important, at least. Hopefully Penelo can fill that role without me having to go into Black Mage.

Also if I had to get, Machinist would be pretty unpopular - guns are really out of style now and virtually useless at high levels.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly you could probably still get away with just levelling 3-4 characters. One's your healer, the other 2-3 for DPS. Having at least one for elements and/or ranged is pretty important, at least. Hopefully Penelo can fill that role without me having to go into Black Mage.

Also if I had to get, Machinist would be pretty unpopular - guns are really out of style now and virtually useless at high levels.

I never used ranged weapons at all in the original, was thinking i'd give them a try at last. But everyone says this game iall about combos.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

I never used ranged weapons at all in the original, was thinking i'd give them a try at last. But everyone says this game iall about combos.

They still have their merits and being able to attack from range and dodge AoEs is great, and the various elemental ammo can be very useful. Just don't expect them to be kings of DPS.

You can actually just make one of your underlevelled characters a gun-user. Sinc gun damage is affected only by the gun and ammo, the only important statistic for the gun-user is HP.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I made Ashe a tank last time I played IZJS, which was fun. Not sure what I'll do this time. I booted TZA up for ten minutes, did the Rogue Tomato (and then went back to loving around in Stormblood). Feels and looks great.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

In FFX only people who participated in a battle got exp but it was so easy to swap them in and out that wasn't really a problem.

And by the endgame probably half the cast was useless anyway and you could have three people with multiple sphere grids handling everything.

Once Yuna gets her celestial weapon she can solo the rest of the game herself, pretty much.

I spent too much time making sure almost everybody had been swapped in once just for the sake of keeping everyone together but in the end I would basically only use Tidus, Auron, Rikku, and Yuna. And Tidus was mostly just to guarantee always going first, hasting everybody, and getting the gently caress out for the heavy hitters to do their work.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My road to endgame party was always Tidus Auron Yuna. after that it became Tidus, Rikku, Wakka
Because of Wakka's insane overdrive and riku's mix and those are the 3 members that can do swimming battles

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Avalerion posted:

Like it starts out taking on an evil empire star wars style, then suddenly you are fighting the gods or something.

Also the main character should have been anyone but Vaan.

Other Games where you are fighting evil governments, and then suddenly gods

FF6
FF7
FF8
FF9
FF...10 sort of
FF11 probably who knows
FF Tactics
FF15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST