Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rand Brittain posted:

Riley basically hates everything Tim likes and is willing to do really underhanded things to separate him from those things, including "his job" and "all his friends except her."

It's surprisingly textbook emotional abuse; it just doesn't get played up much because Riley rarely appears in person.

What doesn't help is probably (and this is total speculation) is that Allison just decided to take Tim off the board because he represented a kind of wackiness that would interfere with the tone and stories. Problem (x)? Why doesn't Tim invent an (x) solving machine?? My guess is that he just wanted Tim gone and threw that in so he could have the next generation of characters do their thing without having to address the Tim in the room, especially if he were still mayor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know if anyone is keeping up with The Property Of Hate but the last couple of pages are pretty great.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
does anyone want to talk about 17776

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

whomupclicklike posted:

I was really impressed with the use of the medium, but had trouble getting into the story after the first... "page?" I guess?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

whomupclicklike posted:

Holy poo poo im loving loving it so far.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

whomupclicklike posted:

I'm excited to find out if the Lions ever won a super bowl lol nope

Seems odd to ask about it in here though, since I wouldn't really describe it as a webcomic. I'd suggest the Farthouse in TFF, but unfortunate the offseason has hit everyone particularly bad and things have devolved to talking about NASCAR.

Edit: It is pretty great, though. I've been a fan of everything Jon Bois has done over the past several years, and it's really neat to see 17776 getting traction on the internet at large.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I dunno- i think this is close enough to a webcomic to warrent discussion here when you consider all the similar mixed media that comes up. But really who gives a poo poo we don't need to police discussion.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Sure as heck feels like a webcomic to me, albeit an experimental one. This thing is wild.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hypermedia

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Homestuck

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Except Bois can actually end a story.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Hey, Andrew Hussie managed a perfectly good ending for his greatest work: And It Don't Stop.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

reignonyourparade posted:

Hey, Andrew Hussie managed a perfectly good ending for his greatest work: And It Don't Stop. Problem Sleuth

:colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Problem Sleuth's ending had the same problems as Homestuck did in that it took way too goddamn long. Just not to the magnitude that Homestuck had.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

:thejoke:

But really, 17776 is really good so far so go read that.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

And It Don't Stop is better than Problem Sleuth, sorry. :shrug:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Just Offscreen posted:

sold

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
The use of video in 17776 reminds me a lot of John Campbell's"Michael Keaton" if any of y'all read it before it disappeared

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Michael Keaton was so drat good

As was PFSC.

I hope John Campbell is...doing better.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just Offscreen posted:

:catstare:I'm not entirely sure what I just read, but it is some loving insane infinite canvas poo poo. Prequel guy, eat your heart out.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just Offscreen posted:

It really is

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Jesus loving Christ, that was just the first page. :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

guest starring Karkat as 'juice'

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question for folks, does anyone know what happened to the "Daily Grind Iron Man Challenge"? It was a 1k+ pot challenge between like 90 different webcomic artists (Scott Kurtz was notably in it) and artists had to keep to a M-F update schedule without fail. It started back in 2005 if I recall. Last I had looked it was down to 2-3 contestants, but the website that organized it all is down (Crown Commission). I was curious if there was ever a winner, and did they get their payout? Or did the money just get scarpered over the last decade and a quarter?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or his boyfriend anyway

trolling aside, im p sure that everybody who read homestuck is going to mentally organize rambling offbeat characters who willfully disregard capitalization and punctuation as "daves" until the day they die

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i did not

also 17776 is really weird which is good, imo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

Whoa hey

This is kinda blowing my mind right now

F O O T B A L L

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress YOU GAME 27

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

gently caress YOU GAME 27

think kroger's will ever make it to oregon?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Just Offscreen posted:

This is motherfucking incredible and now I'm late for work

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Today's updates kinda depressed me. The idea that curiosity as a drive just goes away entirely.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you guys are buggin about 17776 but want to wait until it's finished, check out Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles for more off-genre football sports writing. I can't even call it hilarious because it just comes from somewhere else entirely. First thing in a while that reminds me of Mark Leyner's work. Linky:

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/8/18/5998715/the-tim-tebow-cfl-chronicles

Note bene: he uses these giant unoptimized images so it's not so good for mobile browsing. Doable though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Finished going through all of it so far. Think my favorite part to this point is the "I'm just a bookmark" bit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://vt.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_osuurf7ENV1rljgrv_480.mp4

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Absolutely incredible

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ditocoaf posted:

Today's updates kinda depressed me. The idea that curiosity as a drive just goes away entirely.

I dig it. The story so far feels like a really honest take on how people might actually react to real immortality, and while the current humanist vogue of painting humanity as a a race of scientists and wonderers is definitely better than the previous idea that we existed only to serve an unknowable god, if we're being truthful with ourselves it's really not accurate at all. It's something we think we might like to be, and until we solve every problem it's surely a worthy goal to pursue, but I don't see anything bad about putting in down in the hypothetical scenario where the only problem left is what to do with your day that won't drive you mad.

A return to old style intercity football with hundreds or thousands of players sounds pretty great tbh

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh man, this connection is genius.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I dig it. The story so far feels like a really honest take on how people might actually react to real immortality, and while the current humanist vogue of painting humanity as a a race of scientists and wonderers is definitely better than the previous idea that we existed only to serve an unknowable god, if we're being truthful with ourselves it's really not accurate at all. It's something we think we might like to be, and until we solve every problem it's surely a worthy goal to pursue, but I don't see anything bad about putting in down in the hypothetical scenario where the only problem left is what to do with your day that won't drive you mad.

A return to old style intercity football with hundreds or thousands of players sounds pretty great tbh

Oh it's not that believe that humanity as a whole is inherently defined by progress, or something like that. But I know some people are more driven than others by a pressing feeling of curiosity. And during that whole speech about people giving up on anything but games, I kept thinking "but what about CURIOSITY? Is that feeling 100% gone?" And the problem is, I can totally believe that at some point during 15000 years of life, you stop being able to care about big ideas. Ten even says "some lasted longer than others". And it's so sad to me because it's so plausible. Reminding me that even though I feel pretty driven by a desire to see new things, learn new things, understand things I don't currently understand... even though I like to think that feeling is basically what keeps me going these days... I can totally see a way I could get to the point where I'm just killing time for millenia on end.

The most frustrating interactions I ever have are defined by someone's complete lack of curiosity, lack of interest in learning anything new or changing their mind about anything. To read a treatise that basically says "total incuriosity is the stable end state of every human life" and find it convincing is kind of doing a number on me.

EDIT: Don't read this black bar spoiler pile unless you have a high tolerance for overwrought drunk rambling. I won't defend myself if you mock me.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 11, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh man, this connection is genius.

Oh it's not that believe that humanity as a whole is inherently defined by progress, or something like that. But I know some people are more driven than others by a pressing feeling of curiosity. And during that whole speech about people giving up on anything but games, I kept thinking "but what about CURIOSITY? Is that feeling 100% gone?" And the problem is, I can totally believe that at some point during 15000 years of life, you stop being able to care about big ideas. Ten even says "some lasted longer than others". And it's so sad to me because it's so plausible. Reminding me that even though I feel pretty driven by a desire to see new things, learn new things, understand things I don't currently understand... even though I like to think that feeling is basically what keeps me going these days... I can totally see a way I could get to the point where I'm just killing time for millenia on end.

The most frustrating interactions I ever have are defined by someone's complete lack of curiosity, lack of interest in learning anything new or changing their mind about anything. To read a treatise that basically says "total incuriosity is the stable end state of every human life" and find it convincing is kind of doing a number on me.

EDIT: Don't read this black bar spoiler pile unless you have a high tolerance for overwrought drunk rambling. I won't defend myself if you mock me.

I don't fully agree with that reading of it, tbh. Yeah, curiosity on like, a grand scale is gone, but it doesn't mean that's entirely true of individual discoveries. Humanity as a whole may have discovered all it needs to, no even with 15000 years so single person with their imperfect memories is going to know everything. Nancy was fascinated by a meaningless little story about a building she had never seen before, or forgot seeing if she already had. Jason's Koy Detmer scavenger hunt game is possibly being broken open 70 years after they thought it was effectively over because of new information. I don't think curiosity is like, 100% gone. It's just that a lot of humanity's curiosity is out of necessity, and that necessity is gone. Curiosity now is just another means of killing time, although that may be an even more depressing thought that total incuriosity, depending on your view of it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

If you guys are buggin about 17776 but want to wait until it's finished, check out Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles for more off-genre football sports writing. I can't even call it hilarious because it just comes from somewhere else entirely. First thing in a while that reminds me of Mark Leyner's work. Linky:

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/8/18/5998715/the-tim-tebow-cfl-chronicles

Note bene: he uses these giant unoptimized images so it's not so good for mobile browsing. Doable though.

I read the first chapter this morning and the bit where the towering walls of the Skydome roll apart to reveal the streets of Toronto beyond, now a legal part of the field, and Tebow's just like

"I

It"

had me laughing my entire morning shower.

So far the most ridiculous part is the idea of driving from the Tower to the Dome. They're right next to eachother. Like. Here is the tower. Walk a hundred steps. There is the Skydome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Knowing there's only four more days of this is one of the saddest experiences of my life.

• Locked thread