Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Seriously dude....

I hate/love you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slung Blade posted:

They even detailed the interior as part of the deal (note the hand crocheted seat blanket my grandma made for me).

I had dinner with my grandparents tonight, they seemed delighted to see it fixed up to nearly original condition :unsmith:

I couldn't let this truck fade away, it's got too much personality and way too many of my memories attached to it. It doesn't even have 160 thousand kilometers on the clock yet.

Late to the party, but you're a Good Person. :glomp:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Now all I need is some pallet racking so I can store all these drat engines/tires/parts piles off the floor.

Holy poo poo yes! This will be a game changer, that is a ridiculous price.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks fellas :unsmith:

Canada day was on the 1st, we were celebrating 150 years of confederation. Kind of a big deal. Town council and I applied for and got a little cash grant for a party, so I had to get going on the mods to the Pork of the Covenant.

First up, a door on the top cover. I cut out a piece for a door, and marked up the original sheet metal.

I used an air flanger to put a little lip around the opening, this gives it a little better rigidity, and the door has something to sit in instead of just laying on the base.

Hinges, placed a little too low, should have been higher. Still works, and this door only gets used to check the meat / apply mop / spices so it's rarely used.

The lower door was longer, but done in the same way.

She was already warped to gently caress and back, but it's ok, this thing was never air tight, didn't want it that way.

These mods allowed me to refuel and add smoke wood to the fire much easier, and it made the grill vastly more efficient as I didn't waste heat taking the lid off all the time. I think we burned less than 15-20 kilos of charcoal all day, which is like 1/4 the burn rate needed for the pig last year.

I bought meat. No, I mean like a lot of meat. 30+ kilos of boneless rib, and 20 some kilos of brisket.

Started the day around 6, fire was going by 6:30.

I know that brisket (despite having never cooked it before in a smoker) requires a fairly high heat to start getting tender, so it went in first and I tried to keep things around 300. I had a water pan (just a big aluminium baking tray) in the grill for moisture, and the rub was just salt/pepper/garlic powder applied the day before. This was around mid day, I added the prime rib after this image and tried to keep the temperature around 220f for the rest of the day.

Now, unfortunately things got pretty hectic after this and I couldn't get any more pictures of the meat until it was almost all eaten. The prime rib smoked for 6 hours, and those boneless rib roasts are enormous so they were still nicely rare/medium, but the brisket turned out fabulously for my first time smoking it. I gave myself nerve damage on my left index and middle fingertips from holding the fork so tightly as I cut all that meat (really should have spelled off with someone) for the next 4-5 days which really sucked. Everyone seemed to enjoy dinner pretty well, so I am definitely happy it turned out as good as it did, and I'm doubly glad I could re-purpose the rotisserie cage to smoke food without needing rotation.

Then, this being Alberta, it rained hard for about 20 minutes and most of my personally invited guests got stuffed in the entrance hallway (sorry about that you guys). But, we got this out of it, so that was cool.

After that we set up just shy of 400 bucks worth of fireworks and had a little show after dark, all in all a good night, but entirely exhausting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You would do well in a college football environment.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That is a mayor I would vote for

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can confirm the brisket was amazing.

If your mayor isn't serving you delectable brisket then you need to get that motherfucker out of office. It's time we demand better from our elected officials.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Can confirm the brisket was amazing.

If your mayor isn't serving you delectable brisket then you need to get that motherfucker out of office. It's time we demand better from our elected officials.

for realsies.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Seriously tempted to defect to Canada right about now. Brisket, mmmmmm.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

SSSwitch indicated to me that he wanted to come over Friday to do some work on his Saab. I had to prepare the shop for him Thursday night, for example, I didn't think his car would clear this air jack. I mean, I guess maybe it would have?

Whatever, I took it out anyway.

Put both on a mini pallet to get them out of the way. I need to take these in for service / replacement / recycling. The air cylinders are poo poo, the ratchets don't work as well as they should, the slider wheels are all totally wrecked, and they're just in rough shape in general.

While he was working on his car, I was at work, and also out picking a new piece of gear.

Friday night / Saturday, after that work on the Saab was done, I cleaned up that corner of the shop, and moved that leaky Honda motor I've been storing for SSSwitch for over 3 years now.

We took it apart, sort of.

I moved the 440 I picked up last year. This forklift has already paid for itself, holy poo poo.

Built the racking.

Made a huge mess.

We mounted the Honda on the engine stand and took the oil pan and valve cover off, I didn't get any pictures of that, but uh, it's not good. Cam lobes are all scratched up, there were some pretty sizable copper flakes in the oil sump, and there was a random extra ARP nut under the valve cover. Hopefully switch can post the images he has of that.

After that, I mounted my 1/4" welding plate on my workbench with some good bolts after drilling the holes, and mounted the vise to the plate and bench. Finally I can make use of that vise like it was designed.

Tidied up a bit, finally put the bolt bin somewhere and cleared off the work spaces.

Tidied up more.

These tires are in the way.

Better, not safe, and definitely not permanent as this pallet sucks for storing tires, but it works for now until I can get some good ones. I also moved the hydraulic press between the shelving and the pallet racking for efficiency and ease of use. Note the 440 on a pallet, and the honda engine on the stand. This shall be Uncle Slung Blade's Engine Corner, henceforth.

Looking pretty decent in here now.

After sweating my rear end off all day Saturday, today (Sunday) I went to the Rocky Mountain Nationals Drag races up in Edmonton, but we got rained out and nearly froze :shepicide:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

God drat I gotta get a racking system.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We done tore 'part one of them Japernese engines on the stand, as Slung mentioned.

The engine is a D16Y7 with a D16Y8 head on it, to give it the ancient magic of VTEC. When I bought it, it came with a good-sized storage bin worth of other turbo poo poo and have gradually taken parts off of it as it's been sitting in a tire on Slung's floor. As you can see, there's a lot to replace and change before I can put it back together and put it into my Civic.

Off comes the oil pan. We discovered the legend of Roddy's Copper. Big flakes :(

Now is probably the right time to change all those annoying hoses on the underside of the intake manifold, huh?

Almost impossible to take a picture of this, but the cam was wiped in a few spots.

The #3 rockers were also pretty loose side-to-side, not sure if that's normal or not. I'll try rotating the engine to see if that goes away under load or if I need a new head.

The most worrying part is that when we flipped it back over and pulled the valve cover, we found a bonus head nut just lying around. I'm guessing whoever 'built' this engine lost a nut inside here and then just grabbed another one off the shelf instead of looking for it. Good thing this didn't clog an oil passage or destroy a valve spring or something.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Dude, your garage just keeps getting better. If I ever get my crazy-rear end road trip off the ground, I'm gonna have to come see it.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

This is less of a home shop and more of a functional commercial garage. Your shop kicks all sorts of rear end. A huge four-post lift? An electric forklift? Every time I catch up on this thread, it sets a higher bar.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

^^^^^ Thank you :unsmith:
And Boaz, you are welcome anytime.

So like I said I went to my first ever drag race. Got rained out, so I didn't get many pictures. Had to take these for SSSwitch though.

Here's one of those new 'copo' Camaros. I like the wagon better.

Tonight I picked up some 'gently' used pallets from a local autoparts place. Not perfect, but I am glad to get them. I re-palletized everything.

And tossed the jacks in the truck, hopefully I can take these in later this week for service / replacement. I need to buy some new ratchet straps though, poo poo needs to be secured before I drive anywhere.

I love lil' forky :3:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Slung Blade posted:

I love lil' forky :3:

Ok, obviously you need to find a sign painter to have the lift properly emblazoned with his name.

And by "first ever", do you mean like first ever EVER? If you ever get the chance to go see the NHRA big boys, take it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ok, obviously you need to find a sign painter to have the lift properly emblazoned with his name.

And by "first ever", do you mean like first ever EVER? If you ever get the chance to go see the NHRA big boys, take it.

Yup, Calgary doesn't have a race track, and therefore, no quarter mile strip. That got torn out years ago, well before I was really interested in cars at all.

WHEN WE LAST LEFT OUR HERO:
Man, the old dodge has been kicked around the yard, the shop, the garage, and back and forth a couple times. Here is is in loving 2014 when I last worked on it in earnest.

Now, there's been 2 transmountain ralleys, Seat Safety Switch has (almost)monopolized my lifts, shop, and yard with no less than 5 cars, two of which he no longer owns, and I've been working on about 4 of my own as well. It's time to give this tired old nag some attention again.

It's been sitting on the lift now for a couple of months, I think as a way to cajole myself into working on it again.

One of the issues that the shops told me about was a "distinct gas smell" coming from the tank. I think they were implying that the seals or hoses were leaking or something. I never saw evidence of that, I think modern shops just don't understand that old cars just smell like gas all the time, and the tank level never seemed to seep out, but gently caress it, whatever, if I'm going to put a fuel injected 440 into this barge the tank has to come out anyway so I can put in a proper baffled electronic fuel pump into it. Might as well replace the tank with a taiwanese stainless steel one at the same time? Sure, why not! So, to that end, a couple weeks ago Switch and I drained the fuel and dropped the tank.

With the tank out and most sources of highly combustible fuel out of the car, now is a perfect time to start patching holes in the body. This is the driver side rear fender well, in front of the tire.

I did not make this repair, but I am thinking of re-doing it, the welds are not awesome. Dunno if I can do better though.

The back side isn't great either, but at the same time, ehhhh I'm not too worried about it.

I have no idea what I am doing.

I didn't cut enough out here, I know that now.

Cut out a bit in the back and made a little patch for it, forgot to grab a picture of the hole.

Bit too much of a gap here, learning curve. Also forgot to get a picture of the welds.

You'll notice I cut more off the top, I might have nicked the sheet metal with an abrasive disc. :shobon:

Took some time to find the right heat / wire feed settings for my little mig, it's not great still and there are definitely gaps. Real issue was that the patch I was using wasn't quite thick enough.

Rinse and repeat a couple times (probably should have done more).

Still a couple little pinholes but it's better than a gaping hole. A little filler will solve that issue, I hope. It's a little too thin to weld any more. Also holy gently caress I need to learn how to spray bomb things again.

Started a new list. Old one is in the trunk, I think.

After that, I let it sit again for a couple weeks, work got in the way, weekends have been busy and it's hot as loving balls out there lately, but I ordered parts, and parts mean progress.

This is a patch panel for the rear passenger side quarter, after the tire well. It's not the best stamping, but it'll do the job (and give me valuable correct thickness sheet metal to fix other bits.

A new filler hose for the stainless tank (seen here in the background).

And some random interior screws for when I lose some inevitably taking apart the interior.

Thoughts:
1. This thing is still cool as gently caress.
2. Winter will let me work on it more now that I have a proper heated shop.
3. I WANT TO GET THIS BUILT
4. Ok this is a bit of a story: One of the 'fancy' reproduction wheels is loving rusting through the chrome. That is completely unacceptable for having been inside for 2 years not exposed to snow or salt at all. Maybe it got brake dust on it or something, I dunno, but that's really bad. Anyway, one day switch and I were working on something and took the town car for a drive to get a shwarma, when we returned home the car developed a bit of a wobble, felt like an unbalanced tire. I didn't think too much of it at first, since they're grabbers on a drat luxury car, but we get out and look, turns out there was a nasty bubble on the sidewall. poo poo. Not good. We decide to put the lincoln away for a while until we decide what to do with it. Fast forward a couple weeks and Switch's wifemobile develops a horrendous case of "being a lovely nissan" and is down for a massive fuckload of repairs, but she needs a car to commute and none of the other candidates in the Switch family fleet are automatics and she can't drive any of them. Solution? Lincoln! Secondary problem: bad tires. Solution to that? gently caress, the coronet bolt pattern is the same, and the tires are the right size, plus these two are off the car anyway while I'm welding in poo poo, why not loan them to him so she can drive The Best Ford?

:whatup:

Yard status: totally hosed, I keep trying to hire a loving landscaper but they never show up for our planned meetings!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have probably put more miles on this Ford this summer than all other cars in the fleet combined. It is the biggest rear end in a top hat land barge and gently caress anyone who gets in my way.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Slung Blade posted:

Seat Safety Switch has (almost)monopolized my lifts, shop, and yard with no less than 5 cars, two of which he no longer owns, and I've been working on about 4 of my own as well.

You're quite the friend, holy poo poo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Slung Blade posted:

Now, there's been 2 transmountain ralleys, Seat Safety Switch has (almost)monopolized my lifts, shop, and yard with no less than 5 cars, two of which he no longer owns, and I've been working on about 4 of my own as well. It's time to give this tired old nag some attention again.

Is this how used car dealer ships are born in Canada? Or is this more appalachian redneck lawn crops?

Its impressive how many projects you're juggling.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Slung Blade posted:

Yup, Calgary doesn't have a race track, and therefore, no quarter mile strip. That got torn out years ago, well before I was really interested in cars at all.

Next Slung Blade project spotted.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There's another one a few hours south of us in the Outlands but I'm unsure of its present condition as the last time I was there the motoring press was raving about the new Lumina APVs.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So in the last... two months, I have ordered parts.

Specifically, new torsion bars. :canada:

Really beefy ones, these were never offered OEM.

A second rear exhaust hanger. This will involve removing the rear seat so I can access that panel, but that's ok.

Bumper kit.

New torsion bar boots.

Contemplated how to put that patch panel on, realized I need to take the bumper off to get at the very back of it because that cancer extends quite a ways.

May as well go all the way with this.

The carriage bolts mostly came out fine.

Except, of course, the underside ones on either end of the bumper. Rust had consumed them. Wallowed out the square holes trying to extract them. gently caress. So I left that alone for a bit as I think about what to do next.

When the truck blew a coolant line hauling the trailer back in the summer, I replaced the coolant with distilled water (all I had in the truck at the time, thank goodness I had it though). But with temps getting colder, I replaced some of the water with proper dex cool, and replaced that other barbed plastic fitting with a metal one. Hopefully good now.

Then I started caring for my girlfriend's car (yes, it's true, I finally have a lady friend! :unsmith: ). Her toyota's battery is pretty well hosed. So I took that out, replaced the wire terminal ends with new ones and neutralized all the shmoo.

The dealerships she's been too have not been very kind to this car.

Anyway, oil change, swapped the tires, general maintenance. Back on the road.

Her summer tires are worn funny. Switch and I think it's a bad bushing.

Back to Switch's cars, we are doing a timing belt on his saab. We've been doing this for two weeks now, having real trouble with it. Somehow we got the harmonic balancer on crooked and it wobbles like mad and ate the power steering pump's belt tensioner. Probably going to be working on this again this weekend.

Removed old radiator to replace it. Also makes it easier to access all the poo poo on the front of the engine.

We built my new engine stand.

Complete with cheese grade grease zerks. Seriously, I can't get a grip on this thing, every time I try to get some knipex jaws on it, it just crumbles more. Not really sure what to do here.

My car got a little attention too. Oil change, new filters, tire swap. In-cabin air filter with the weirdest box I've ever seen.

SHOP SUPPLIESSSS

WINTER APPROACHES.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Good stuff!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I should be able to monkey that rear seat out of the Coronet no problem. I think from the last time I was in there it's just the normal Mopar lower hook method.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What the gently caress is this bullshit? A second update in as many weeks? Dangerous territory, people might start thinking they deserve regular updates now... :v:

Anyway, what's happened in 7 days? Well, the accent hit a new milestone. I got poo poo for not going 789 on the trip odo, but JFC that involves math and paying attention. Way more than I'm capable of.

With my general maintenance complete, we bring in SSSwitch's saab again, try to figure out where we went wrong and caused the harmonic balancer to wobble like a wino on dollar gallon jug night.

Oh.

Oh.

Well, gently caress, at least it wasn't my fault for once (I mean I provided the force to crush that poor little woodruff key, but I didn't line it up). Fortunately, SSSwitch is a known parts hoarder for subaru EJ 2.5L engines and had a spare harmonic balancer, so we just chamfered the keyway in that a little to fit over the totally mushroomed key, and slapped it on the crank after I picked out the crushed bits that fell off the key from attempt 1.

We had to take the timing belt cover off because some of the crushed bits ended up in the cover / on the belt. Good opportunity to fix this, some of the captive nuts (captive nuts? In plastic? gently caress you, subaru). A rivnut inserted and 5 minute epoxied in place. 10/10 aesthetics, would bang.

We also spent a few hours picking up a used tool chest for SSSwitch to keep his rapidly growing collection of "tools that Slung stores for me at the Ranch" in. We also spent a few hours cleaning and restoring it, I think it came out of a coal mine it was so gross. Hopefully he has a couple pictures to share.

So with that done on saturday, I cleaned up the shop, kicked all the loose tires outside, and swept up all the floor dry and dust we've dropped down in the last 2 months. We, uh, spilled a lot of coolant and oil it seems. 6L of floor dry and dust.

I was putting buckets away and saw SSSwitch updated his rotella label after we oil changed the saab.

The driveshaft carrier bearing in the bricknose is worn out causing vibration at low speed and RPM. Or, at least, I hope that's what it is. I have a replacement part now but I need to get it on the 4 post in order to replace it because gently caress working on your back. Unfortunately, I had to renew the registration on all my vehicles so when I was pulling paperwork, I accidentally left the drat glove box open and there's a little light in there and the battery was right dead. I couldn't even boost it myself with the white chev.

Hoping the battery wasn't completely turbofucked, I hooked it up to a charger and let it go for six hours this afternoon while I was cleaning the shop. It wasn't charged, but it was holding some juice, so I put my booster battery pack on it and she lives!

I was able to drive it into the shop, I have the charger on it again and will let it go for a couple days, see what happens. I did disconnect the hood light as well once I took this shot.

I need to get a pumpkin for halloween. Seriously debating hanging out in the shop all evening and handing out candy to the kids from there instead of the house this year, I have a lot of work to do out there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Never let it be said that I was one to make good decisions.

Last Monday, just after halloween, I'm kinda bored at work. Year's winding down a bit, so I'm idly surfing kijiji. I find something, $500, mk 2 1985 supra. No engine or transmission, but that's ok, at that age the engine would need a rebuild anyway.

I've wanted one of these things for loving years.

It's been painted, but it's not a rusty mess as near as I can tell.

There's definitely wear, tear, missing bits, rough trim.

A couple minor rust spots.

But she's not too bad! Pretty good 10ft car as Terrible Robot put it, I agree totally.

I paid the man his money (storage yard operator, previous owner stiffed him on storage fees, the yard claimed it and sold it to recoup losses, works for me!)

Switch, myself, and my sister loaded it up today, as Monday is a holiday (in lieu) for Remembrance Day, for most people anyway.

(I have the hood, it is in the truck's bed)

I'm exhausted, I had to winch it on to the trailer with a come along, all four tires are flat, but at least the brakes work so switch could keep it in place as I re-positioned the cables.

So this one is going to age like a fine wine in the back yard for a bit. The Coronet takes priority, and it's ehhhh sorta close to be being ready for the next step. Honestly though, for this price, I couldn't say no. Even if it turns out to be complete junk once we tear into it we can get some money for the glass, and a couple hundo from a junkyard for it.

Also yesterday we diagnosed a headlight issue on my sister's car. Turns out it burnt out the low beam bulb on one side, and the fuse on the other. Very bizarre. We replaced both bulbs and put in a new air filter because the gasket on the previous one was trashed.

Still have not had time to fix the ford's carrier bearing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Supra will make a decent mad max themed daily driver.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

Supra will make a decent mad max themed daily driver.

That's what I was thinking. Lift springs, mud terrains, weld the sunroof shut...

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I know I post this on these here forums A LOT but...

Super jealous!

slothrop fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 18, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I anxiously look forward to the war supra

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slung, keep us apprised, that looks like it is going to be a cool project!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Looks good enough to start with, bad enough you can do whatever you want.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Now we just have to organise to send you a Barra motor and you're ready for the greatest Mad Max swap ever

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

Now we just have to organise to send you a Barra motor and you're ready for the greatest Mad Max swap ever

Send us the whole car, if it's older than 15 years.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Falcon-Car-and-Truck-Complete-Engines/33615/bn_2202270

In some parrallel universe, I won the lottery and had the time and funds to fly to Australia, buy a few of these engines by driving around a shitload and then have them shipped to SSS and SB so I could enjoy their shenanigans from the safety of my couch but now with massive power.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I rented a car in Melbourne one time to drive out to Hanging Rock Park, and the people at the rental counter were excessively, uncomfortably apologetic that they didn’t have anything with a V8 available.

I’m not sure if it’s because they wanted to show off the weird poo poo only they get, or if as an American I expected a V8.

Either is fine with me.

Edit: it was a Falcon VR6 wagon.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I had a 2001 AU Falcon Ute when I was in Tasmania, 5 years ago. It was the XR6, a straight-6 that could spin the wheels all day long. The XR8 was much more famous, but even after I replaced the tires I could throw a pair of rooster tails on any gravel road any time I felt like it, and a bit of rain would have me embarassing myself at every stop light in town.

I'm flying to Australia for 2 weeks in 2 days. I don't think I'll have much free time for parts-shipping shenanigans, but it's possible. I'll be in Armidale (small-ish town in northern NSW, not close to the ocean) at the beginning and end of my trip, and visiting Brisbane in the middle, just before christmas. If somebody finds something, I should have internet access some of the time, and I get email notifications when a goon PM's me - I'm much more likely to check my email than to log in to the forums without a good reason.

EDIT: 5 years ago I really wanted to buy a ute and ship it home, but I didn't have the funds. I still don't, but sending a package off out of Brisbane harbour would be ABSOLUTELY something I would make time to do. You find it, you buy it, you pay all the costs, and I'll help make sure it gets on a boat.

EDIT2: You should buy Kevin

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 12, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

The driveshaft carrier bearing in the bricknose is worn out causing vibration at low speed and RPM. Or, at least, I hope that's what it is.

Ok, so, that was only partially right. The bearing itself was mostly ok. The bushing around the bearing was pretty hogged, but it still worked ok. Regardless I ordered parts and starting tearing into it.

After disassembling the driveshaft, Switch and I were horrified to discover that the U-joints were now brinnelled past any usable level.

:stare:

So yeah, that sucked. One was seized so bad in a single direction it would barely move, and that's where the vibration was coming from. Had to wait a couple days to get the U-joints, also I had a shop press them in for me, I wrecked one and nearly hosed up another and got so frustrated I just didn't want to deal with it.

In the meantime I spotted this rad little japanese firetruck driving around Balzac.

Back to the driveshaft. We were contemplating how to remove this loving bearing.

This didn't work so well.

Turns out you just remove that cover with a chisel. Then you can access the bearing itself.

You stick the bitch in a press with the bearing separator and hope for the best (neglected to get pictures of that) and then you re-assemble the fuckin thing.

Then you drive it to work.

So that was November.

This december I:
-got engaged :unsmith:
-it snowed a lot
-it got stupid cold
-I built a thing for my grandparents for Christmas

Details here

No new info on the supra, but I did sell the Rally Celica that Switch and I bought 2 years ago finally. Didn't get nearly out of it what we paid into it, but we will survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Slung Blade posted:

-got engaged :unsmith:

Going to need a garage addition to store your fiances car.