Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lutsenko was the last rider to make the time cut. I don't haven't seen any reports on his banana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

HBO's Tour De Pharmacey has made me laugh tonight

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

paddyboat posted:

Lutsenko was the last rider to make the time cut. I don't haven't seen any reports on his banana.

I wonder how many hours were spent pulling gravel out of that this evening.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Just caught up with the highlights. That was mad max levels of grim. Wonder if next year they'll either use only mountaintop finishes for the hilly stages or if they'll double down with more blood for the blood god.

Also holy poo poo Uran winning the sprint single speed.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

djssniper posted:

HBO's Tour De Pharmacey has made me laugh tonight
I will take this opportunity to say that I hate Andy Samberg. Most punchable face in the world.

Good stage, though.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 10, 2017

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Given that Porte is out and Quintana is in trash form after the Giro, does Froome have this wrapped up? I am hoping Martin can challenge him a little but he doesn't have a whole team supporting him. I don't see Aru doing anything.

edit: Girl -> Giro.

accipter fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 10, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Quintana was in poo poo form at the Giro too, but pretty much yeah

Froomes one weakness a few years back was his sketchy bike handling (or at least a style that looked like that). His descending is insane now, and it's his rivals that can't stay up

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
If they want to do something they have to work together against him. For example why didn't Aru or Fuglsang attack in the last 10k, instead of reeling in Bardet. That would have forced Froome to do all the work chasing. If you want to hurt Froome you have to stop defending 2nd & 3rd place. It's the same old song, just the names are different..

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aru could have done poo poo if Porte hadn't defended his old team mate. Froome's much weaker looking when he's on his own for long periods.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Eh, attacking mechanicals is always a dick move, regardless of who's in yellow, and he couldn't even pretend he hadn't seen it like Nibali did

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is attacking on a mechanical really so bad? Isn't luck, shifting skill (wasn't Schleck cross-geared when he threw his chain?), the construction of your bike, component choice all part of the race?

Case in point that Christian VDV made: why didn't everyone slow up and wait for Dan Martin after Porte took him out through no fault of his own? Now he's down an extra minute or so, but no one's complaining about sportsmanship. Would they have not been told in the last 25k or whatever that he was back on his bike?

Granted, if we're talking about something like the tack incident from a few years back, I get it. That's exogenous to the race. But thrown gears and normal flats? Feels like asking Lewis Hamilton to slow down because Sebastian Vettel's gearbox got stuck in 3rd. Granted, an F1 car is a totally different beast from a road bike but…something something let the drivers decide the outcome…

I'm playing Devil's advocate here mostly, but it seems like a question worth asking.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

No, it's not a dick move. It's an idiotic "rule" and the yellow jersey is the only one who gets the protection according to it. gently caress that. Did we even see what was wrong with his bike? He was up there with them 30 secs later on the same bike, wasn't he?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
gently caress that, always be attacking.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I like all the traditions, its part of the appeal :shrug:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Why won't Froome say what his mechanical was? What is he hiding?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Aru did nothing wrong.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

paddyboat posted:

a motor in his wheels

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Rojkir posted:

If they want to do something they have to work together against him. For example why didn't Aru or Fuglsang attack in the last 10k, instead of reeling in Bardet. That would have forced Froome to do all the work chasing. If you want to hurt Froome you have to stop defending 2nd & 3rd place. It's the same old song, just the names are different..

This was so frustrating! They had Froome isolated and they chose to ride with him and pull back Bardet. I don't understand what they were thinking.

https://twitter.com/hornerakg/status/884130402415382529

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For someone who did nothing wrong he seems very keen to tell everyone it was totally his idea to stop attacking as soon as he heard about the mechanical

Turns out he is saying he didn't know, despite riding past Froome actually having the problem

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Weird of Froome to raise his arm like this... better ride under him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it verboten to attack when a guy is calling for a bottle?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

paddyboat posted:

A cable came out of his rear derailleur so it wasn't shifting, and no-one wanted to work with Aru because no-one likes him, and Fulgsang especially hates him.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Sounds like he should be whining at his mechanic and not good lad and clean racer Fabio Aru.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Odds on FDJ going for the suicide breakaways to preserve the honour of France/break even on the tour?

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

serious gaylord posted:

A cable came out of his rear derailleur so it wasn't shifting, and no-one wanted to work with Aru because no-one likes him, and Fulgsang especially hates him.

how is anyone in the tour not using electronic shifting?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Di2 still uses cables to send signals. Only etap is wireless.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Some of the older guys still use mechanical shifting, Contador, Nibali (and Cancellara used to)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Skarsnik posted:

Some of the older guys still use mechanical shifting, Contador, Nibali (and Cancellara used to)

Fairly certain Contador uses Di2 now, with satellite shifters and all the jazz.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ah yeah you're right, he switched this season

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
With Shimano STI, my hands/fingers would go completely dead at the end of 100mi rides with 10000ft climbing. With eTap I have no such fatigue. Now I'm imagining much longer grand tour stages day after day...NIbali is weird.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
just lol if your bike is not fixed gear imo or at least single speed imho

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

kidsafe posted:

With Shimano STI, my hands/fingers would go completely dead at the end of 100mi rides with 10000ft climbing. With eTap I have no such fatigue. Now I'm imagining much longer grand tour stages day after day...NIbali is weird.

Also a mechanic's dream, especially eTap with its no internal wiring and removable batteries.

Or is it?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

^^ eTap is indeed wireless with removable (and interchangeable between FD and RD) batteries.

Skarsnik posted:

Sagan rode mechanical for the classics.

Kittel is a beast. The ad-free aussies spent the last 10 km talking about how hosed he was back in the peloton, then dude gets it together and gaps second place to daylight.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bit of a yawn that.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Hopefully this is not a stupid question but I've been looking around and am still really confused. Blame the fact that I never watch the Tour de France.

I get what the difference is between the yellow and green jerseys, and I get that points are awarded not just at the end of the race. However, if this guy with the green jersey has won 4 stages, did he just do badly on the other 6 if he isn't also the overall time winner? I guess it's easier to fall behind in time quickly than in points.

More importantly, is it possible to hold both the yellow and green jerseys? Or polka dot and one of the others at the same time?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Yeah, he's a sprinter so he's hosed in the mountains which means he'll never do well in the general classification.

You can indeed hold more than one jersey. In fact, you can hold them all but you'll only be wearing one of course. If you have all the jerseys, this is the priority: yellow, green, polka dot and then white. So if you're first in the general classification and the mountains competition, you'll be wearing the yellow jersey while the rider who's second in the mountains competition will be wearing the polka dot.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 11, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Wippersnapper posted:

Hopefully this is not a stupid question but I've been looking around and am still really confused. Blame the fact that I never watch the Tour de France.

I get what the difference is between the yellow and green jerseys, and I get that points are awarded not just at the end of the race. However, if this guy with the green jersey has won 4 stages, did he just do badly on the other 6 if he isn't also the overall time winner? I guess it's easier to fall behind in time quickly than in points.

More importantly, is it possible to hold both the yellow and green jerseys? Or polka dot and one of the others at the same time?

Important to understanding all this is that riders in a group all receive the same time, so even winning a stage doesn't necessarily mean gaining any time on other riders if they are in contact with the same group.

e: Though there are time bonuses, so caveat.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.

glynnenstein posted:

Important to understanding all this is that riders in a group all receive the same time, so even winning a stage doesn't necessarily mean gaining any time on other riders if they are in contact with the same group.

e: Though there are time bonuses, so caveat.

This makes things so much more clear. Is the only motivation to win the stage to gain points then? Seems weird to me.

Edit: And to win yeah I'm dumb.

Wippersnapper fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 11, 2017

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

For the sprinters the motivation is to win stages (and for some, the green jersey).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Win stages, show the shirt, make money.