Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

best part of this episode was pirate fine

If the next batch of OVAs doesn't include a segment on Fine's many wacky reincarnation adventures then what the gently caress are we even doing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I also like how the super secret ultimate weapon they found already broke in the episode its abilities were revealed. Also that the symphogears are a very credible threat to the alchemists from the get go, so both sides are gonna have to power up somehow, they'll have to outplay each other, or both.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/SpiritusNoxSA/status/884544923420307456

:kamina:

Also, I really really really like the new ED. Seconding the hope for more Maria/Chris spotlight as we go forward. Also hope we take a bit of a break from the action sooner than later, these first two eps have been almost wall to wall punchyfists. drat good punchyfists, mind, but I like slice of life Symphogear too.

Hibiki was, is, and always will be the strongest and the coolest.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hibiki was, is, and always will be the strongest and the coolest.

GO TO HELL

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The superweapon has a trick where its state decoheres and it finds a reality where it wasn't punched to smithereens and recoheres to that state.

Except there wasn't one.

Every single world in which Hibiki and the superweapon were together, it was successfully punched.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

The superweapon has a trick where its state decoheres and it finds a reality where it wasn't punched to smithereens and recoheres to that state.

Except there wasn't one.

Every single world in which Hibiki and the superweapon were together, it was successfully punched.

Heaven help the alternate dimensions in which Hibiki's isn't the gentlest fist in the world.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Phobophilia posted:

Except there wasn't one.

With a determination to fist, even a 0% chance of victory becomes 100%

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"What happened to that whole 'invincible' thing?"
"You're looking at her!"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I hope that blue glow around Maria means we'll finally get those three attuning to their relics which will leave Elfnein's linker recipe as the team upgrade

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Chris has always been my fav and I am overjoyed that this series is going to be about her.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kylra posted:

I also like how the super secret ultimate weapon they found already broke in the episode its abilities were revealed. Also that the symphogears are a very credible threat to the alchemists from the get go, so both sides are gonna have to power up somehow, they'll have to outplay each other, or both.

Symphogear has always done a good job of showing the villains actually struggling rather than just kind of losing for no real reason. Fine had trouble getting past Genjurou, the G villains were on the back foot the entire time, and even when Carol initially wiped the floor with the symphogears she was paying a lot to do it and got wrecked by the turnaround powerup. Really only the autoscorers were a misstep.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dzhay posted:

From a design-reflecting-character angle, it's kind of neat that Maria doesn't get a colour like the other 'gear users. Everyone else dresses to match their costume like a frikin' power ranger, but Maria usually wears blue or white vs her pale grey armour (or black/orange, I guess). Even her little uniform cravat is a dark purple-grey colour, that doesn't really match her armour.

I always took her primary color with Argetlahm to be "Silver", which explains both the grays and the blue-whites.

chumbler posted:

Symphogear has always done a good job of showing the villains actually struggling rather than just kind of losing for no real reason. Fine had trouble getting past Genjurou, the G villains were on the back foot the entire time, and even when Carol initially wiped the floor with the symphogears she was paying a lot to do it and got wrecked by the turnaround powerup. Really only the autoscorers were a misstep.

Yes, I agree. If your villains each season are always just better than the previous season's villain, it devalues all the previous struggles. Keeping the heroes relatively strong makes it feel like they've actually kept their growth, and with good writing the villains can seem more intelligent too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

Yes, I agree. If your villains each season are always just better than the previous season's villain, it devalues all the previous struggles. Keeping the heroes relatively strong makes it feel like they've actually kept their growth, and with good writing the villains can seem more intelligent too.

Yeah. "Cliffhangers" like today's, with Hibiki or someone else streaking in with the cavalry to save someone else and goad the villains into Round Goddamn Two are almost always more fun to me than when the heroes receive a seemingly mortal blow like kept happening all the time in the first half of GX.

I bet the illuminati beat a tactical retreat fairly early into the next ep - Bikki's heroics seemed genuinely unnerving to them and she's presumably got two more fresh and rested gears coming in right behind her. Would be a good opportunity for the show to transition into slower character building for an episode or so.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Help me I'm crying about Yukine Chris.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chris...she had a hard life.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man, both Maria's song and the B team's trio song are great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You're not a full-fledged Symphogear until you're taking moves from action movies.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hibiki loving rules. Doesn't even need a special attack, she just punched the gently caress out of that dragon and away it went.

Also Pirate Fine was great

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

is there a companion to this that shows Tsubasa holding a Metal Gear Rising case

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

chumbler posted:

Really only the autoscorers were a misstep.
Which kind of made up the middle 2/3 of GX.

McDragon posted:

Hibiki loving rules. Doesn't even need a special attack, she just punched the gently caress out of that dragon and away it went.
Hibiki has never had a special attack card. It would be a break of tradition to do otherwise.

Julias posted:

Chris...she had a hard life.
She's still more or less a child soldier even.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Kylra posted:

Hibiki has never had a special attack card. It would be a break of tradition to do otherwise.

Yeah, I remembered that after posting. It's been too long since Symphogear was on, I forgot all the neat details

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The sheer dynamism of Maria's attacks is amazing and I like that her being super flexible in combat is basically a character trait at this point. Everyone else sticks to a pretty consistent theme(swords, guns/bows, punches, etc) but Maria's like gently caress that, I'm going to add a tornado drill cape to my Gungnir and then my Airgetlam is going to bounce between punch combos to tornado drills to beam cannons.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kanos posted:

The sheer dynamism of Maria's attacks is amazing and I like that her being super flexible in combat is basically a character trait at this point. Everyone else sticks to a pretty consistent theme(swords, guns/bows, punches, etc) but Maria's like gently caress that, I'm going to add a tornado drill cape to my Gungnir and then my Airgetlam is going to bounce between punch combos to tornado drills to beam cannons.

Well the main problem is that Tsubasa took the "sword" theme first so she has to improvise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Airgetlam is a fist full of knives and it's very cool

Wish it came with a cape though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Airgetlam is a fist full of knives and it's very cool

Wish it came with a cape though.

Midseason upgrade to knifecape.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

a cape of light would be cool

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

Well the main problem is that Tsubasa took the "sword" theme first so she has to improvise.

The Airgetlam isn't sword-based, anyway. It's just funny that she completely swerves from how the gear would obviously work. "Oh, I got a sword. Sword-based attacks. Oh, I got a gun and a bow. Gun based attacks. Oh, I got a bunch of knives. Beam Cannon."

I think the only other person who so sharply swerved in how to use a gear is Hibiki using a spear-based gear to punch people and that's mainly because she never figured out how to summon the spear and has just been improvising the entire time.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Kanos posted:

I think the only other person who so sharply swerved in how to use a gear is Hibiki using a spear-based gear to punch people and that's mainly because she never figured out how to summon the spear

"You're looking at her!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lessail posted:

"You're looking at her!"

She makes it work and Gungnir itself doesn't seem to care much considering she's naturally attuned to it, at least. With the drill punches we're getting closer and closer to spear fists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also its easy to miss but that dude in the top is very probably tsubasa's 'real' dad/genjuuro and yatsuhiro's dad. fudou. the fact that he got a name last season and there was that secne at the end of gx with gen and yatsuhiro looking at the sky kinda made it seem like tsubasa family drama was going to come up anyway

the... person at the end of the op also has very similar hair to tsubasa but they're facing away from the camera so its kinda hard to tell even their gender. the chestline makes it seem like a dude but who knows.

my pet theory atm is that s4 will segue into s5 by way of fudou or mystery family member popping up and dropping some bomb for them to hang a cliffhanger on for a cour or two, and then hibiki will punch tsubasa's family issues, repeatedly.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I think I can explain this. Everyone gets some kind of energy based ranged attack if they don't have one aside from Hibiki. Tsubasa has the sword rain and Kirika has little air slash things. Maria just adds up all the tiny dagger slashes from her daggers into one big laser cannon.

Also, Gungnir is/was a part of Hibiki, so Hibiki is the spear herself obviously. That's why she has no "weapon" and "punches" things. The weapon was inside her all along, both figuratively and literally.

Symphoscience. The more you know!

Kylra fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 12, 2017

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Endorph posted:

also its easy to miss but that dude in the top is very probably tsubasa's 'real' dad/genjuuro and yatsuhiro's dad. fudou. the fact that he got a name last season and there was that secne at the end of gx with gen and yatsuhiro looking at the sky kinda made it seem like tsubasa family drama was going to come up anyway

the... person at the end of the op also has very similar hair to tsubasa but they're facing away from the camera so its kinda hard to tell even their gender. the chestline makes it seem like a dude but who knows.

my pet theory atm is that s4 will segue into s5 by way of fudou or mystery family member popping up and dropping some bomb for them to hang a cliffhanger on for a cour or two, and then hibiki will punch tsubasa's family issues, repeatedly.

Since the person in the OP has what appears to be long purple hair, I'm assuming that's the Adam that Saint-Germain mentions in her 400-year-old reminiscence. Especially since Adam is depicted with that figure Tiki they recovered.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

graybook posted:

Since the person in the OP has what appears to be long purple hair, I'm assuming that's the Adam that Saint-Germain mentions in her 400-year-old reminiscence. Especially since Adam is depicted with that figure Tiki they recovered.

Also he was said to be their boss.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 12, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

adam kazanari

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Endorph posted:

adam kazanari

No Adam Vercingetorix

Also I just have to laugh at what Ver looked like when he first showed up.

Then after.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 12, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

It would definitely make a certain amount of sense that, if this season is indeed going to go hard on revisiting Chris' baggage, the followup would lead back into Tsubasa's. That'd be pretty neat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You know, I just realized that if the Illuminati helped Carol with the Chateau they're either dumb as hell or she duped the hell out of them because I'm pretty sure you can't rule a world that's been diced into its component segments.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

You know, I just realized that if the Illuminati helped Carol with the Chateau they're either dumb as hell or she duped the hell out of them because I'm pretty sure you can't rule a world that's been diced into its component segments.
they might have been setting her up to fail for one reason or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if we will somehow see some time shenanigans this season with everything the alchemists are saying about retaking history. But really I just want pirate Fine adventures.

• Locked thread