Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

MZ posted:

MGSV has some of the best mechanics ever but the game should have been half as long, it has far too much filler missions and does get pretty repetitive.
I didn't mind the filler missions so much when I was actually doing them but the game would only have maybe three available in an area at one time and they would always be about as far from each other as possible. The terrible fast travel in MGSV was more of an annoyance than a convenience so any effort to mop up side missions always involved way more traversal than it should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Its odd to hear MGSV was too long, because I got to the end and wanted more. Maybe it was Chapter 2 just being a secret wrap up instead of a chapter like 1.

Anyway. Serious question. Can I play MGS4 on psnow or any way other then on PS3?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

Its odd to hear MGSV was too long, because I got to the end and wanted more. Maybe it was Chapter 2 just being a secret wrap up instead of a chapter like 1.

Anyway. Serious question. Can I play MGS4 on psnow or any way other then on PS3?

It was on PSNow briefly but it got pulled, probably because Konami hates video games now

EDIT: So to answer your question, PS3 is the only way to play it now.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've played Horizon for a couple hours now and can pass the gates. The overarching story seems kind of interesting but the characters and dialogue have been... kind of bad so far. With a few exceptions the writing, delivery, and dialogue animations have failed to get me invested. There's also bizarre hard cuts into extreme closeups, characters introduced only to be killed off five minutes later, and they chose the most cliche route possible when handling Rost. seriously, their relationship could have been interesting if they'd done literally anything else Overall the story sequences have detracted from the experience.

Only good parts so far have been whenever Aloy gets pissed and starts channeling Chloe from LiS, and the guy with the handlebars you meet during the festival. He had better facial animation than Aloy for some reason.

Does the character interactions get better? Otherwise I'll probably just start skipping any dialog that isn't plot-imortant.

Edit: unrelated but I thought it's pretty funny that they spent so much effort creating this gameworld, with well animated robot dinosaurs and and weather effects, but couldn't get an intern to create some kind of effect when running through snow. Instead you're just clipping through it and it looks ridiculous.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 10, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes, the interactions in the pre-apocalypse audiologs are really good. Also Lance Reddick

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Renoistic posted:

I've played Horizon for a couple hours now and can pass the gates. The overarching story seems kind of interesting but the characters and dialogue have been... kind of bad so far. With a few exceptions the writing, delivery, and dialogue animations have failed to get me invested. There's also bizarre hard cuts into extreme closeups, characters introduced only to be killed off five minutes later, and they chose the most cliche route possible when handling Rost. seriously, their relationship could have been interesting if they'd done literally anything else Overall the story sequences have detracted from the experience.

Only good parts so far have been whenever Aloy gets pissed and starts channeling Chloe from LiS, and the guy with the handlebars you meet during the festival. He had better facial animation than Aloy for some reason.

Does the character interactions get better? Otherwise I'll probably just start skipping any dialog that isn't plot-imortant.

Its pretty obvious when somethings plot important, vs when a hunter and the hunting place wants to tell you his life story because he's never seen someone hunt like you.

Later you can piece together the story from audio logs, clues and whatnot and have a cool experience uncovering the puzzle. Then it will have a cutscene just spelling everything out. Again in an obvious manner that its a big reveal. So don't worry about missing stuff if it stops your enjoyment.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 10, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Horizon chat: if you're going to have a character make fun of Aloy for her scar, perhaps make the scar noticeable? I had no idea she had one before that scene, and had to be like three feet from my TV before I could see it. I've seen more noticeable pimples.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's not a noticeable scar, it's only relevant because of the event. No one else ever comments on it, but dickbag does cause he put it there.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Snak posted:

It's not a noticeable scar, it's only relevant because of the event. No one else ever comments on it, but dickbag does cause he put it there.

Yep, it's barely there, which is the whole point, that he's just desperately grabbing at things to try and insult Aloy with to try and build himself up ("Confidence is quiet. You're not."), which is what makes his eventual character growth and redemption all the more satisfying oh wait never mind he's already dead

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

did they fix prey yet

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Awesome! posted:

did they fix prey yet

you dont just "fix" videogames

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

not this one at least

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Awesome! posted:

did they fix prey yet
If by "fix" you mean "neuter," then yes.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Prey is 18 quid used already.

Mass effect Andromeda didn't drop that quickly

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yep, it's barely there, which is the whole point, that he's just desperately grabbing at things to try and insult Aloy with to try and build himself up ("Confidence is quiet. You're not."), which is what makes his eventual character growth and redemption all the more satisfying oh wait never mind he's already dead

Haha the spoilered part was pretty much my thought process during that scene.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that makes sense. mass effect is a big name with a lot of fans

prey is... prey

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Prey actually owns, gently caress Arkane for what they did to it post launch. They've been promising fixes for awhile now. I'll never get to start my second playthrough at this rate.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is prey fixed on pro yet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Prey actually owns, gently caress Arkane for what they did to it post launch. They've been promising fixes for awhile now. I'll never get to start my second playthrough at this rate.

The last third of prey is poo poo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Prey was definitely a let down. I appreciate what they were trying to do with it. It was just missing that..something... that could have made it amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Prey was definitely a let down. I appreciate what they were trying to do with it. It was just missing that..something... that could have made it amazing.

That's how I felt. I liked everything on paper, but I played it for like 8 hours and realized I just wasn't having much fun. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but I never warmed up to it. And I love everything about that style of game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looks like... You preyed yourself

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think Prey was missing compelling characters you directly interact with. I liked the game (I played on PC) because it's a modern day System Shock and I really appreciated it, but there are no meaningful interactions with anyone. I liked a lot of the crew and the interactions they had with each other. That was some incredible writing. But when it comes to them interacting with Morgan, there's nothing there. There's no SHODAN equivalent. Given the overall story of the game, that's probably deliberate, but I would have cut that angle from the game if it meant we had a compelling antagonist or foil through-out the game.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Drum up hype to sell more units later. Both of them are sort of a hard sell. PSVR is an expensive peripheral with sort of spotty software support that is hard to demo. Switch is a mid cycle update out of nowhere with one of the worst launch lineups ever. Is it that crazy to think that it might be better to just sell out everywhere and create a huge perceived demand? This certainly hasn't been a problem for other hardware for more than a matter of weeks for the last decade. What makes these ones so special that they make one run and just sit on it for months?

Edit: I'm not saying I'm convinced this is true, it just looks sort of suspect to me. Like some obnoxious marketing strategy. I could be totally wrong.

I remember people saying back when the 360 launched that Microsoft was intentionally undersupplying it in order to get headlines, and then we found out years later that something like 1 out of every 3 consoles that came off the assembly lines was DOA. I don't think it's ever in a hardware company's interest to produce fewer units than they can sell, especially when that company makes its real money by selling licensed software on top of it. We know this wasn't Sony's strategy with PSVR because they held back their marketing once they knew they couldn't satisfy demand. They only started advertising it again around E3, once they got a better handle on production. Switch is selling incredibly well and there's a ton more consoles Nintendo could be putting in peoples hands if only they could only make them. They desperately need to get third parties on it ASAP if they want to succeed this generation and that's gonna require an install base, not a weird marketing bank-shot which assumes people will stay interested in the console without buying it for several months. Do something like that to a potential customer and it's more likely you wasted the first and only impression you were going to get, and they end up spending that money on something else.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm playing Until Dawn with my fiance and she's having a lot of fun making every character the shittiest version of themselves they can be. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really wish they would do a PS4 port of Catherine.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if Prey was titled Bioshock a lot of its problems would have mysteriously disappeared in reviews v:shobon:v

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Alright, the getting relics in Crash 1 isn't fun so I'm calling it there. That was a fun nostalgic trip and if they make a new Crash game, I'll be there.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

rabidsquid posted:

if Prey was titled Bioshock a lot of its problems would have mysteriously disappeared in reviews v:shobon:v

the problems i am concerned with are them breaking the game worse with each patch

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

The sad thing is that this is probably pretty true, despite the game being miles closer to system shock 2 than bioshock

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Funny I heard it was like Bioshock but in space

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its like bioshock with 2 minute loads every 30 seconds of game play when you are backtracking a lot in the last half of the game

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Playing through Uncharted 1 and the zombie part is just a wet fart. Also enemies seeing me through walls sucks. Can't imagine the game on hard.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

I really wish they would do a PS4 port of Catherine.

Seriously, I was just talking about this with a friend.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Seriously, I was just talking about this with a friend.

Spooky, I too was wondering about Catherine on PS4. To be fair I did watch the 2016 sgdq run of it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Just grabbed Dark Souls 3 Fire Fades edition on Amazon Prime day for $29.99 with free same day shipping. They have Skyrim SE for $24.99, but I already have it on PC and if I got it on a console, I would go with the Switch version for some master sword action.

Dualshock 4 controllers are on sale for $39.99 for Prime Day.

PS4 slim UC4 bundle is on sale for $229 for Prime Day.

I tried getting Injustice 2 for $34.99, but it wouldn't add to my cart and the PS4 version shot up to $54 while the XB1 version stayed at $34 when only 8% of the game was claimed. So not sure what that was about.

I may try to get the AC Enzio Trilogy tomorrow and EDF 4.1

Nioh will be tomorrow morning, but I already own it

They will have Tekken 7 tomorrow night, but not really interested myself.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 11, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Never played a souls game, how much will I regret that purchase

Thanks for posting the deals.

Looks like only the silver DS4 is $40, and the camo is $48. Seems like they're the latest iteration though

Looks like Nioh might be on sale soon

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 11, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not at all. DS3 is an excellent entry point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Never played a souls game, how much will I regret that purchase

Thanks for posting the deals.

Jesus, really? What the gently caress have you been doing with your life??

Play Bloodborne and DS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol I know I must be one of the few

The circle jerk around how hard the first was kind of turned me off idk I got flashbacks to stupid difficult NES and SNES games