Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol I know I must be one of the few

The circle jerk around how hard the first was kind of turned me off idk I got flashbacks to stupid difficult NES and SNES games

NES and SNES games are arcade hard, putting you in constant situations where damage to your sprite is nearly unavoidable.
Souls game will put you in front of a situation and let you prepare to tackle it. Dying past that is because you got too overzealous swinging and ran out of stamina to block, or you ran into a room without checking for an ambush, or you didn't leave yourself an escape route.
Not because you didnt crouch after a jump, then ran, then stopped for a second at the cliff edge to let the goddamn eagle fly past, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Good grief. I finished the maker's end quest last night in Horizon. Some of my questions are partially answered but now I have a whole load more cropped up!

I almost don't want to finish because I am enjoying it so much. The first deathbringer made me say "Oh, really?" Then the second made me say "Oh no!!!" so I'm glad that threat ramped up.

I recognise the voice of Ted Faro but I do not want to look anything up. Also Lance Reddick is great in everything :D Man, more Horizon tonight I think!!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Never played a souls game, how much will I regret that purchase

Thanks for posting the deals.

Looks like only the silver DS4 is $40, and the camo is $48. Seems like they're the latest iteration though

Looks like Nioh might be on sale soon

All of the controllers will go to $39.99 in checkout. As long as they are sold by Amazon. Tempted to grab a gold one, but I already have my 20th anniversary and the one that came with my Pro on my ps4, a white one on my PStv and the Uncharted 4 gray blue one on my PC. No reason to get another, but tempted..

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Awesome! posted:

the problems i am concerned with are them breaking the game worse with each patch

i've heard that it runs pretty bad on the ps4 and i am not exactly stoked with the stance of "if you dont like the game go ahead and refund it even though steam bans people for using the refund service as a demo" thing too. i dunno if the performance is more on arkane or bethesda here for patching but it sure seems like this pairing isnt working out for either side very well

i hate to be that guy but i would definitely whole heartedly suggest anyone who can play the game on pc play it there

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The circle jerk around how hard the first was kind of turned me off idk I got flashbacks to stupid difficult NES and SNES games

Ha I don't consider myself a big gamer and they're not difficult at all. It's like some nerd badge of honour to claim a game is hard

"I beat Dark Souls ! :smug: "

Ok nerd , good job 🙄

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm rubbish at games and think they're pretty difficult but I like them anyway

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Good grief. I finished the maker's end quest last night in Horizon. Some of my questions are partially answered but now I have a whole load more cropped up!

I almost don't want to finish because I am enjoying it so much. The first deathbringer made me say "Oh, really?" Then the second made me say "Oh no!!!" so I'm glad that threat ramped up.

I recognise the voice of Ted Faro but I do not want to look anything up. Also Lance Reddick is great in everything :D Man, more Horizon tonight I think!!

You are so wholesome, and I love reading your posts as you go through the game!

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Just bought this from prime day...

Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $62.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1NHCZT/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was even able to get free next day shipping with it. Sweet!

edit: looks like Dark Souls 3 is already 100% claimed

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 11, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I really wish they would do a PS4 port of Catherine.

I'd be ok with a PS4 port, but it would be much more fitting as a Switch title.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone know what if anything has changed gameplay-wise in FF12 PS4 versus the Zodiac Job System edition on the PS2?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd be ok with a PS4 port, but it would be much more fitting as a Switch title.

im waiting on the switch port of persona 5, as well as cs go

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can dual class now and there's a x12 speed up option. Probably some other stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ha I don't consider myself a big gamer and they're not difficult at all. It's like some nerd badge of honour to claim a game is hard

"I beat Dark Souls ! :smug: "

Ok nerd , good job 🙄

Maybe it's just because I played half a dozen of these but Demon's Souls feels pretty easy tbh. Magic is op but looking around at things on wikis it seems like half the items in the game are too. I'd always heard it was the hardest one but I think the first one you play is going to take that honor.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demon's Souls has a lot more obtuse stuff and a lack of QoL but stuff like the bosses mostly being gimmicks because you can do stages in any order makes it a bit easier than the others.
Dark Souls 1 I found the easiest and probably not coincidentally was the last one I played.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sakurazuka posted:

Demon's Souls has a lot more obtuse stuff and a lack of QoL but stuff like the bosses mostly being gimmicks because you can do stages in any order makes it a bit easier than the others.
Dark Souls 1 I found the easiest and probably not coincidentally was the last one I played.

I guess I lied actually I think BB's the hardest but DS1 the first time I tried it was probably second. Though stuff like multiplayer barely working on the 360 at launch didn't help. I spent like an hour just waiting to be summoned for Ornstein and Smough.

Being able to do the stages in any order is weird because it obviously expects you to do certain things first just based on the amount of souls you get in, say, 5-1 compared to 2-1, though the boss is weak as poo poo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that hyperx cloud gaming headset i always tell people to buy is for some reason selling with a copy of street fighter v for $70 on newegg right now. its not the best price the headset has ever been as i got it for fifty bucks but i guess if you wanted street fighter or could sell it thats a pretty good deal

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you want "Bioshock + Deus Ex vents and emails in space but with better powers and a jet pack" then play Prey. If you don't want that don't play Prey.

If you have a PC & a PS4 I imagine PC being the better choice, I have both and I've seen it on a PS4Pro and it's just not the same performance as PC at all, but if you have no PC don't rob yourself of v. Gud Game Prey.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 11, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm waiting for it to hit £10 like Dishonored 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think I like the idea of tense FPSes where you run away from most of the bad guys more than playing them. It's hard to strike the right balance of difficulty where it's hard enough to make you feel vulnerable while not being too hard such that you have to continually reload the game, again taking you out of the experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm waiting for it to hit £10 like Dishonored 2

The demo for 2 was so bad that it totally put me off buying it.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

VideoGames posted:

I bought HZD mostly blind after hearing some goon hype and I was SO loving delighted when Virtual Lance Reddick showed up. Love that dude.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I bought HZD mostly blind after hearing some goon hype and I was SO loving delighted when Virtual Lance Reddick showed up. Love that dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWa4ScfQXc

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Lance Reddick VAOTY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_R1s6Vcdnw

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Every post of yours has been mirroring my reactions when I've been playing Horizon. I think I'm close to the end and there hasn't been one element that hasn't landed for me. Well, some of the minor side quests, and by extension the minor quest givers I sorta don't care about. Otherwise I'm pretty infatuated with the game as a whole, and I'd list it as one of the best games I've ever played with no hesitation.

There's also a song on the ost that has like a couple seconds of strings that sound awfully similar to an ambient swell from New Vegas, so I think that's setting something off in my brain too.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Delightful, thanks friend

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

rabidsquid posted:

if Prey was titled Bioshock a lot of its problems would have mysteriously disappeared in reviews v:shobon:v

Naw it was poo poo.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm really enjoying yakuza but the 5.1 mix is both awesome and unbalanced :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The difficulty of Souls games is massively overblown imo. Father Gascione (or however you spell it) was the only boss in Bloodborne that took me more than a few tries. The Dark Souls games proper I think are a little tougher than Bloodborne but if you're having too much trouble with a boss you can just summon a dude that's run through it 5000 times and he'll handle most of the heavy lifting for you.

Seriously, don't let the "PREPARE TO DIE!!!!" fervor put you off playing them, they're really good and not meaningfully harder than something like Devil May Cry.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The DS3 DLC was some bullshit though

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

The difficulty of Souls games is massively overblown imo. Father Gascione (or however you spell it) was the only boss in Bloodborne that took me more than a few tries. The Dark Souls games proper I think are a little tougher than Bloodborne but if you're having too much trouble with a boss you can just summon a dude that's run through it 5000 times and he'll handle most of the heavy lifting for you.

Seriously, don't let the "PREPARE TO DIE!!!!" fervor put you off playing them, they're really good and not meaningfully harder than something like Devil May Cry.

Well, they have really leaned into the masochistic difficulty as its 'thing' as the series went on. If you cant see that trend in the DS3 DLC's stream of gently caress you's I don't know what to tell you. Back in Demon Souls most of the bosses were puzzle bosses, those have been wholly replaced by skill bosses full stop.

I will say. You are right. The easy mode in these games is calling for help. Which some people don't like to do. There are areas and bosses that are explicitly designed for coop but people still don't want to do it for some reason? I don't mind, but I got old and don't care about dropping a game to easy if its not fun. Bashing my head against Bosses in Souls can be not fun. I invariably spend a few hours after a boss that just had my number helping others get through it. :feelsgoodman:

Call for help ya fools. Sunbro for life.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Real hurthling! posted:

Its like bioshock with 2 minute loads every 30 seconds of game play when you are backtracking a lot in the last half of the game

Haha yeah load times am i right *thinks bloodbourne is great*

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They aren't near that bad now

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Those load times don't exist anymore.

You know what does. The fact that Prey is a poo poo game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

they're harder than most games nowadays but they're not nearly as hard as that stuff. the difficulty is a lot more fair than your average hard mode in other games as well since it's not just "you have low health and the enemies do lots of damage". it's mostly a matter of paying attention and not rushing. plus there's coop if you run into something you don't think you can handle

you might die a lot at first while you get the hang of it tho

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Those load times don't exist anymore.

You know what does. The fact that Prey is a poo poo game.

No, bloodborne's load times are still pretty goddamn bad when you've seen nioh reload an area in two seconds and consider the fact that most of the time all a reload in bloodborne needs to do is reset some enemy and object positions. I'm almost sympathetic since it's most likely a result of the engine, but it doesn't mean it's not unnecessarily painful when you're on attempt #10 of a depth 5 FRC dungeon boss and then your weapon breaks so you get to sit through another two loading screens just to try again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And it's not just the difficulty which is blown out of proportion.

The game worlds are amazingly well built, the combat mechanics are IMO the best there is (and the reason I cannot get into Witcher) and the dress up stuff is very engaging too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

No, bloodborne's load times are still pretty goddamn bad when you've seen nioh reload an area in two seconds and consider the fact that most of the time all a reload in bloodborne needs to do is reset some enemy and object positions. I'm almost sympathetic since it's most likely a result of the engine, but it doesn't mean it's not unnecessarily painful when you're on attempt #10 of a depth 5 FRC dungeon boss and then your weapon breaks so you get to sit through another two loading screens just to try again.

Huh, I literally didn't notice them on my last play through. Never compared them directly though.

They've nerfed weapon degradation to the point where its a side case inconvenience. Its really weird it still exists at all. Hope they follow Nioh and flip it and reverse it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BB is cool but it's one juddery mess of a game. The whole experience feels like it's all bound together with duct tape underneath the hood.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've never had a weapon break in bloodborne at any point. it's never even been close. just repair first thing every time you go back to the hunter's dream; you have no reason not to

it is lame that durability is still a thing when they've never made it a compelling feature tho. it's either kind of annoying or loving stupid, depending on whether you're playing against the scrapping spear in demon's souls or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've never had a weapon break in bloodborne at any point. it's never even been close. just repair first thing every time you go back to the hunter's dream; you have no reason not to

it is lame that durability is still a thing when they've never made it a compelling feature tho. it's either kind of annoying or loving stupid, depending on whether you're playing against the scrapping spear in demon's souls or not

It's hilarious when you are the scraping spear user though