Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

"Mario Mario" :downs:

There's Mario Mario, and Luigi Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CowboyAndy posted:

There's Mario Mario, and Luigi Mario.

Thank you so much for to saying my name.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Hudson hawk was a good movie.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

VideoTapir posted:

Hudson hawk was a good movie.

Never saw it, but the game on the Atari was great, and has loads of cool gimmicks. I wanna play it again, I'd forgotten all about it!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Dark Souls is too hard and I don't play it. :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Universe Master posted:

Dark Souls is too hard and I don't play it. :colbert:

Smart motherfucker right here.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dark Souls stops being hard when you realize you can just run passed everything.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

dark souls dares to say to a player "actually no wait, hold on and think about this for a sec buddy"

and all these retard Call From the World of Halo on the Battlefield of Destiny Warcraft casuals can't loving handle that. its a novelty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

Dark Souls stops being hard when you realize you can just run passed everything.

Oh word? I can just use my Halo strats?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Oh word? I can just use my Halo strats?

Yep. Souls games are really just a short boss rush with a lot of distractions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

Yep. Souls games are really just a short boss rush with a lot of distractions.

Can I also use my Call From the World of Halo on the Battlefield of Destiny Warcraft strats?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Can I also use my Call From the World of Halo on the Battlefield of Destiny Warcraft strats?

You can do whatever you want, friend.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

You can do whatever you want, friend.

That's awesome, because as a degenerate casual player, I refuse to get good at a game.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

That's awesome, because as a degenerate casual player, I refuse to get good at a game.

if life was dota i bet you'd play drow ranger motherfucker

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

basic hitler posted:

if life was dota i bet you'd play drow ranger motherfucker

I don't know what drow ranger is, and I'm not going to look it up

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think it's a video game

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

This is you buddy!!!! :argh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0M1E0yxAU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
The last of us was boring and repetitive

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

What's this ugly poo poo? Where's all the polygons?

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Early access is poo poo for idiots

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
Dishonored is awful boring poo poo for people with no taste.

It's Trent Reznor's cum on the back of rat in the bed of a Subaru Brat.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

zelda fans give of a certain aatrek vibe.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Over There posted:

The last of us was boring and repetitive

Uncharted was repetitive.

Last of Us was just a tad too long but was really really good.

I've got Uncharted Collection and 4, they hold my attention for a bit but gently caress do I get bored of climbing everything.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

Traxex is my waifu.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Beastie posted:

Uncharted was repetitive.

Last of Us was just a tad too long but was really really good.

I’ve got Uncharted Collection and 4, they hold my attention for a bit but gently caress do I get bored of climbing everything.

I enjoyed the platforming of uncharted, I just had to quit every times the game throws endless waves of enemies for 3 hours of lovely combat

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

To me it's that the climbing is brainless. It's just move and press x. Every now and then they make a train fall on your dome but for the most part it's a vertical walking simulator.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rhadamanthus posted:

so, its good?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Rhadamanthus posted:

I think stealth games should entirely do away with exploring or highly involved levels with hidden goodies. The problem with stealth is that you can never feel like a cool infiltrator because it feels like playing it "right" is watching patterns for 2 minutes and then slowly disappearing every guard and threat before running around to find goodies in a now empty level for 20 minutes.

I don't have a good "this is how I would do it" but Dishonored would be cool if you stopped hiding skills and bonuses all over and just let me do cool poo poo.

Hitman, for all its flaws, does allow you this in some manner. Sure it's usually the second time around a level, but once you have a general feel you can shoot around a level and feel awesome assassinating people in like 10-15 minutes tops without a shitload of restarts because you messed something up.

Streamline stealth and it immediately becomes faster, more believable, and fun.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Streamline stealth and it immediately becomes faster, more believable, and fun.

Shadow of Mordor pretty much did this perfectly

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

Shadow of Mordor pretty much did this perfectly

It's too bad that the game is another WB Games Beat em up clone because boy is there nothing more boring than learning the same sequence of buttons for every single fight. People complain about quick time events but seem to love these games. If I played Batman, Mad Max, Or Shadow of Mordor all on low graphics and squinted I bet I couldn't tell the difference at all.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Store Adventure posted:

It's too bad that the game is another WB Games Beat em up clone because boy is there nothing more boring than learning the same sequence of buttons for every single fight. People complain about quick time events but seem to love these games. If I played Batman, Mad Max, Or Shadow of Mordor all on low graphics and squinted I bet I couldn't tell the difference at all.

I dunno, I thought Mad Max was boring as poo poo as you only ever really fight like 3-5 guys at most at one time and there is no point in any of the special moves.

At least Shadow of Mordor you could be in the middle of a huge amount of enemies doing bullet time bow shots and executions and then run into the captains and warlords that had different abilities.

Mad Max was just like 500 shirtless dudes wanting to fist fight you while you mash the punch and counter buttons.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I hate stealth games because apparently I can't deal with the sense that I'm failing by getting caught, so I inevitably make myself suffer through hours of tortuously slow, boring gameplay until I give up halfway through the game. If more games did it Hitman style, where it was actually fun to cut loose and still win, then they might be good. Instead of LEVEL GRADE D- NO BONUS ALARM POINTS NO BONUS UNDETECTED NO SPECIAL ITEM REWARDS blah blah.

I realise that's on me, but it still makes games like Dishonored pretty tedious.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You should wait to purchase games, until those games exist. You should wait for those games to be released, and maybe wait for reviews and word-of-mouth because sixty united states dollars is a lot for most people, probably you included.

Basically everything that comes pre-order exclusive or with a "special edition" is garbage for the trash.

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

Quick time events are lazy game design and they're essentially glorified cutscenes. except heavy rain. that game did them pretty well imo

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I guess my unpopular opinion is that I think basically all RPG's would be better off without leveling systems, or at least leveling systems that give you skills and/or abilities as you level. There's nothing more lame in video games than starting out in an RPG as a level one RPG character that can't do anything cool at all. Why does this exist?

Just let me create my max level character with all of my cool spells and abilities from the start, then send me out into the world. The "game" should be me discovering the world and everything in it while being able to role-play as the character I create within that world.

How many times have you thought to yourself when starting up an RPG "oh man wouldn't it be cool to make this type of character" only to have to spend the next 30 hours just to approach a playstyle you're interested in?

Basically, the entire concept of "building a character" slowly through gameplay in an RPG is a total misstep in my opinion. Getting better gear so your abilities look cooler or are more powerful is one thing, but actually having to learn the abilities in the first place over time, often significantly after the start of the game? That should have been done away with long ago.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

levelling systems are a way to scale and pace content, but it's just numbers. World of Warcraft is good evidence of this. With each expansion your damage went up, the numbers got bigger, but as a percentage of whatever it was you were doing be it group or solo never really changed

if you have a large world with a lot of content, and a story to tell, how do you actually pace that out without some kind of system in place, visible or invisible?

skill points only changes how the math is done? When it manifests as a Ultima style clickfest it gets boring as gently caress too.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Here's one: I actually enjoyed the story in Phantom Pain. Not so much the stuff about the parasites, because that's just a place holder for "nanomachines" in MGS fashion, but pretty much most of the rest of it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

I guess my unpopular opinion is that I think basically all RPG's would be better off without leveling systems, or at least leveling systems that give you skills and/or abilities as you level. There's nothing more lame in video games than starting out in an RPG as a level one RPG character that can't do anything cool at all. Why does this exist?

Just let me create my max level character with all of my cool spells and abilities from the start, then send me out into the world. The "game" should be me discovering the world and everything in it while being able to role-play as the character I create within that world.

How many times have you thought to yourself when starting up an RPG "oh man wouldn't it be cool to make this type of character" only to have to spend the next 30 hours just to approach a playstyle you're interested in?

Basically, the entire concept of "building a character" slowly through gameplay in an RPG is a total misstep in my opinion. Getting better gear so your abilities look cooler or are more powerful is one thing, but actually having to learn the abilities in the first place over time, often significantly after the start of the game? That should have been done away with long ago.
I've played RPGs on cheatmode by basically getting all the cool stuff from the get-go. It's no fun.

All games are built on a sense of progression.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
3d was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013