Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I didn't realize until I saw the screen how close of a thing this was. The circle was going to kill me in two ticks. Got him just in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm brand new to the game, is there a good cheatsheet out there for what guns I should keep/trade out for?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Don't map and drive goons.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm really new to this. Grabbed it just this month. How long does it usually take (solo) to get the first chicken dinner? I've certainly had some bad luck getting killed early on but at least half the time I get to the top 20 or 10, sometimes even 5. I always die at this point though. I tend to get killed by someone I never even see. I'm wondering if I'm getting too old for a game like this and my spacial awareness and reflexes just can't compete with the kids. I also find that my biggest problem is I jump out of my skin when I get shot and don't expect it, losing a lot of react time.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Flubby posted:

I'm really new to this. Grabbed it just this month. How long does it usually take (solo) to get the first chicken dinner? I've certainly had some bad luck getting killed early on but at least half the time I get to the top 20 or 10, sometimes even 5. I always die at this point though. I tend to get killed by someone I never even see. I'm wondering if I'm getting too old for a game like this and my spacial awareness and reflexes just can't compete with the kids. I also find that my biggest problem is I jump out of my skin when I get shot and don't expect it, losing a lot of react time.

I think I got mine at like 100 hours (I play mainly duo/squads). Dinners in this game are hard.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

flatluigi posted:

I'm brand new to the game, is there a good cheatsheet out there for what guns I should keep/trade out for?

When it comes down to it they're all balanced pretty similarly and it comes down to personal preference. The only weapons that are way better are crate only weapons like the SAW, Groza, and sniper rifle variants.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

causticBeet posted:

When it comes down to it they're all balanced pretty similarly and it comes down to personal preference. The only weapons that are way better are crate only weapons like the SAW, Groza, and sniper rifle variants.

This is true. My personal preference (non crate weapons)

Rifles
- AKM: The best
- SCAR: The most accurate
- M16: OK alternative
- M416: Trash

SMG
- Vector w/extended mag: the best
- Fully modded ump: close second
- Uzi: Workable
- Unmodded ump: in a pinch...
- Vector w/no mag: garbage

Shotties:
- S686 w/choke: the best
- S12K: Very good
- Pump w/choke: Workable
- Pump/S686 w/o choke: throw em in the bin

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

flatluigi posted:

Use what you like. All of the ARs are totally viable. Shotguns and SMGs are great too. Generally speaking though there is kind of a general "tier" list when it comes to each category

ARs: M416 > SCAR > M16 = AK - The only reason the M16 and the AK are below the other two is having less attachment slots but overall the difference between the guns is relatively minor. Most people I play with prefer to have as many slots filled as possible so the M4 and the SCAR are generally favored over the other two

SMGs: UMP = Vector > Uzi = VSS - People tend to have a love/hate relationship with the Vector. It was loving incredible a couple of patches ago and was an easy first then it's per bullet damage got nerfed. Plus it basically requires an extended mag otherwise you're stuck with a lovely 13 round mag which you'll dump in about half a second. The UMP tends to be the go-to here since it's common and can be modded out. The Uzi is fine early game but has the lowest per bullet damage iirc so drop it as soon as you find something better. The VSS is weird in that it's almost totally silent with its built in suppressor but it has such poo poo damage and such pronounced bullet drop it's real hard to kill people with it. Not a lot of people like it.

Shotguns: All equal and up to preference. The pump has a larger capacity but low ROF. The over/under has a long as gently caress reload but lets you dump two rounds into some poor guy who isn't expecting it. Both of those can take a choke attachment which make them lethal out to fairly absurd ranges. They are generally one shot kill weapons if you hit center mass but is you miss expect to be punished hard. The SK12 is semi-auto but does slightly less damage and takes AR attachments so you can't put a choke on it.

Sniper Rifles: K98 > SKS - The K98 is a bolt action sniper best paired with at least a 4x, but it has unmatched headshotability outside of crate guns. A headshot will kill or down anyone not wearing a lvl 3 helmet. The SKS is a semi-auto with a bad reputation for being hard to control. You need to get used to its recoil but otherwise I find that it's totally fine.

Crate Guns. I deliberately left off crate guns since they are, by design, rare. The AWM and M24 are both instant pickups since they are first and second in damage respectively so use them if you find them. The Garza is supposedly really good, has a built in compensator (so you can have both a compensator and a silencer). The M249 is interesting in that it's the only light machine gun in the game, but it can be hard to control unless you're prone in which case it's a laser that kills anything. The Tommy gun is... well, the tommy gun. High capacity SMG with very little in the way of attachments you can use.

I also left off pistols because you should be dropping those and only using them if you absolutely have to. They will surprise you in the early game though. Generally speaking my preferred loadout is an AR of any type and an SMG or Sniper Rifle.

Really though you should get comfortable with every gun as this game will often times force you to use non-standard loadouts thanks to the ever present circle and your need to be inside it in a timely manner. Other than that you'll probably develop your own preferences and you should stick with what you like.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 11, 2017

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
How the hell did this guy get me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8A3jmy9Nnk

Ice Fist posted:

Use what you like. All of the ARs are totally viable. Shotguns and SMGs are great too. Generally speaking though there is kind of a general "tier" list when it comes to each category

<snip>

Lots of good info in this post, well said Ice Fist.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

It took all of 30 seconds for that post to be dissected in Discord chat which just goes to show how much preference means to people when it comes to "tier lists" like this

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

flatluigi posted:

I think its mostly really personal taste

Like this

quote:

- S686 w/choke: the best
- S12K: Very good
- Pump w/choke: Workable
- Pump/S686 w/o choke: throw em in the bin

I'd pretty much change that Pump -> s686 -> S12k in terms of whether or not I use them. I've been really digging the pump lately. It also matters what else you're using, like if I've got an AR I'll probably take a shotty secondary over an SMG, double that if I found the glock. If I have a sniper of some kind I like to have an ump because of how versatile it is.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 11, 2017

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The m416 with all attachments & compensator on barrel is a laser beam and you can fire it full auto no problem even at range, and with a 4x it basically won't move at all tap firing. Love it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hi South American buddy!

Highfive man. Nice KDA.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The ump is the best gun in the game

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Bobbin Threadbear fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 11, 2017

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
HAs anyone experienced more c rashes since the last patch? I've had 2 error report crashes in the past 2 days after never crashing previously

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Flubby posted:

Solo I am still hungry. Got one in squad play though. Keep getting to top 4 and end up dying in solo. I have 4 days played so far.

Going into heavy areas over and over helps a lot with combat. Reaction time and aim go up for sure.

It is less aim now and more stupid decisions under pressure that screw me. Besides the ring that is.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Jerkface posted:

HAs anyone experienced more c rashes since the last patch? I've had 2 error report crashes in the past 2 days after never crashing previously

Yeah big time, and my friends as well. Definite performance improvements but at the cost of more crashes.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

The m416 with all attachments & compensator on barrel is a laser beam and you can fire it full auto no problem even at range, and with a 4x it basically won't move at all tap firing. Love it.

A tricked out M4 is loving tits. I will dump any other AR for it. Scar or AK is 2nd depending on mods (ak compensator). M16 can lick my taint, get out if here with that 3 round burst horseshit i wanna spray and pray

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hi South American buddy!

People posting poo poo like this while I wish I was even in the top 1 million...

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Must pick up:

- fingerless gloves
- pan
- bright red t-shirt
- every grenade you see

Situational:

- everything else in the game

NEVER TAKE:

- energy drink, they are bad for your health in the long term

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

The biggest difference i have noticed is a shitloaf more lag when accessing my inventory

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flubby posted:

I'll be honest with you - I'm feeling some of the age hitting me too. With that said this is still a game that is more about positioning and getting the drop on the enemies than having godlike reflexes. I did fairly okay in Solo NA with 200-300ms ping plus a 40ms latency monitor plus my poor reflexes.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

I also left off pistols because you should be dropping those and only using them if you absolutely have to.

The new full-auto pistol is worth hanging on to for the whole game if you are a bad shot like me, it has saved my life in close combat. Extended pistol mags are everywhere so you can use it for spray-down kills just like a submachine gun.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Positioning well, taking good shots AND hitting them are a lot more important than twitch reflexes.

Not that twitch reflexes won't save your rear end a whole bunch of times but at least you can try to avoid CQB situations and if you're slow and sneaky you can usually get the jump on people who are stomping around indoors.

Oh and really, don't underestimate circle awareness, sometimes you need to recognize unlucky circle placement and start hauling rear end even if you have lovely gear or you're just stalking some guy or whatever. If the circle seems like it's moving southward towards the military base island you got to start working on getting there ASAP.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Positioning well, taking good shots AND hitting them are a lot more important than twitch reflexes.

Pretty much this.

Any equipment can work if you're good and or lucky. Me and my buddies almost won the other night in squads a few times. During one of those it came down to our last man with just a suppressed Uzi and an S1896 without a choke. He killed 6 people in the final circles and downed two of the final team before they got him. 3 kills Uzi from a bush until he ran out of ammo, 3 kills with the shotgun, and then the final downs were with the shotgun and a 1911 from across the circle.

He really needs to pick up more grenades though, he could have hosed those last guys up with a single frag.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Pro tip: A level 1 helmet isn't going to do poo poo vs any real gun shooting you in the head. Instead, go full fashionista with the punk goggles, balaclava and beanie.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Proer tip: A level 1 helmet is a big step up from no helmet. It's the 1->2 step that isn't a big deal.

Weapons that one-shot headshot with no helmet:
-AKM
-Groza
-M16
-M4
-SCAR
-M249
-Revolver
-SKS
-Kar98
-M24
-AWM
-Crossbow

Weapons that one-shot headshot with helmet 1:
-Kar98
-M24
-AWM
-Crossbow

Weapons that one-shot headshot with helmet 2:
-Kar98
-M24
-AWM
-Crossbow

Weapons that one-shot headshot with helmet 3:
-AWM
-Crossbow

TL;DR: Getting a helmet 2 is nice but not crucial. Getting a helmet 1 is a must. A 1-hp helmet 3 beats a full health helmet 2 because of this as well.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just got a 2nd place. Wall was almost on me and couldn't see where the last guy was. Got 3 kills in it running AK and SK with everything but scopes, just had red dots.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 11, 2017

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Inspector_666 posted:

I agree, focus on the menu, not the gameplay. What a bunch of clods.

This but unironically, thanks

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

black on black on slate black so everyone will know me for the psycho killer that i am

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Squads with three at the finish got a chicken dinner by two suppressing the rock they were hiding behind,

and one loosing three grenades as fast as possible.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
PROEST TIP:

If you knock 3 people and the shooting stops BUT you haven't been credited kills, they still have a fourth. If you kill someone and they have a buddy, thats when they get knocked. if you kill someone in the fight and there arent a bunch of kills awarded after that, there are still more left. Said this twice to people in discord who then died saying "nah they are all dead"

If someone calls instant, it means they died without getting knocked. You can only be knocked if you have standing squad members left to rez you.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Live again for a few hours

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Nice! I'm always interested in watching streams to get through the morning at work. Especially ones that are just the game.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Had tons of fun playing with goons yesterday, this game is awesome!

Cant wait for work to end so I can go home, rapidly cook something and then play until 10 pm :getin:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

AEMINAL posted:

Had tons of fun playing with goons yesterday, this game is awesome!

Cant wait for work to end so I can go home, rapidly cook something and then play until 10 pm :getin:

Same but until 1 am and starve the whole time, also I'm going to leave the job early.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Just had a match where a squad had set up a road block on the bridge. luckily we'd just killed some dudes and stolen their car. turbo boosted through it, the car flipped and somehow we survived. I haven't had that kind of experience outside of Battlefield before!

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Hockles posted:

Nice! I'm always interested in watching streams to get through the morning at work. Especially ones that are just the game.

Glad I can be of assistance! It might be heavy on load screen island though, I'm a bit bored with just going for the win so I'm mostly just seeking out fights.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Probably had my best setup while going to the second circle solo last night. Vehicle next to my building, level 2+ everything but helmet, silencers, tons of ammo, meds, etc... Right as I'm about to start moving in some guy grabs the vehicle and doesn't die when I pump an m416 mag into it/him. So I have to hoof it. I die instantly about 30 seconds later to an M16 that I can only assume landed a couple of headshots from a burst. A+ would die again.

• Locked thread