Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ManSedan posted:

For what it’s worth on my mini 4 I had to reboot to get a few things to work. Included in those things were the swiping from the right and up. Now things work fine.

Yeah, the multi-finger swipes have some bugs but they're still there. Pinching to go back home, swiping to go back and forth between apps still works for me. I think someone said reduce motion is the culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Settings > General > Keyboard > Smart Punctuation off to get rid of the bad encoding of smart quotes in Awful :)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ManSedan posted:

For what it’s worth on my mini 4 I had to reboot to get a few things to work. Included in those things were the swiping from the right and up. Now things work fine.

Same device, I've had these issues. I think it just has some issues saving multitask state. If you 50/50 apps in landscape and then activate the switcher it saves the 50/50 as a sort of workspace, so I'm not sure if a slide-over app's "activatedness" carries across apps.

What's more troubling is that my brain will be broken forever since they're probably tweaking the ux for this as well as dealing with bugs.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CaptainCaveman posted:

Settings -> General -> Multitasking -> Show Recents.

btw thanks for this, this definitely wasn't present in dev beta 1.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone have experience using the pro version of LiquidText with the pencil? Looking for an app that at bare minimum lets me annotate in the margins and it looks like LiquidText would give me a lot more space to do that, plus the ability to tie handwritten notes to specific passages. Edit: Hmm maybe it won't let me tie handwritten notes to specific passages after all

Virtue fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 4, 2017

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I just received my iPad Pro 10.5. It's so much nicer to use than my raggedy-old-rear end iPad 2. Is there a decent stylus out there that isnt as expensive as the apple pencil?

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 4, 2017

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
spring for the pencil, it’s worth it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

I just recieved my iPad Pro 10.5. It's so much nicer to use than my raggedy-old-rear end iPad 2. Is there a decent stylus out there that isnt as expensive as the apple pencil?

Yeah. An used Apple Pencil.

Seriously, don't get an iPad Pro and skimp on the stylus.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

But im just inevitably gonna lose it :negative:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

But im just inevitably gonna lose it :negative:

Get the iPad sleeve with Pencil holder. Also a Smart Keyboard so the iPad fits securely in the sleeve. All told it'll only run you $387 plus tax.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Where are the chinese knockoffs of the sleeve with pencil holder

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Weedle posted:

Get the iPad sleeve with Pencil holder. Also a Smart Keyboard so the iPad fits securely in the sleeve. All told it'll only run you $387 plus tax.

I got the IVSO 10.5 case with detachable keyboard. It works fine and adds some bulk to the iPad so it feels more like a book when im reading on it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
you idiot

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

:negative:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I guess I've forgotten the encryption password for my iTunes backup of my iPad, which for some reason was different to my iPhone one.

I'm quite happy to lose my old iTunes backups but it straight up won't let me make a new backup with a new encryption password. The Apple support page (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205220) basically says "lol i dunno don't use itunes anymore i guess" which isn't super helpful to me. I use iCloud automatic backup too, but I like to have a local copy. Also I wanna try to use iExplorer to inject a local save file for a non-cloud-supported game I've been playing on my iPhone into a new backup and restore that.

Is there anything I can do, or am I poo poo-outta-luck with being able to make local iPad backups ever again until I buy my next iPad?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If you don't care about losing the backup, I would uninstall iTunes and wipe out the iTunes data directories:

Press Windows+R, type %appdata% and trash the Apple directory there, then navigate to /AppData/Local and trash the Apple directories there
Navigate to C:\ProgramData and trash the Apple directory there

With those files gone, feel free to reinstall iTunes. It should let you do whatever the hell you want after that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

I guess I've forgotten the encryption password for my iTunes backup of my iPad, which for some reason was different to my iPhone one.

I'm quite happy to lose my old iTunes backups but it straight up won't let me make a new backup with a new encryption password. The Apple support page (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205220) basically says "lol i dunno don't use itunes anymore i guess" which isn't super helpful to me. I use iCloud automatic backup too, but I like to have a local copy. Also I wanna try to use iExplorer to inject a local save file for a non-cloud-supported game I've been playing on my iPhone into a new backup and restore that.

Is there anything I can do, or am I poo poo-outta-luck with being able to make local iPad backups ever again until I buy my next iPad?
Do you have a configuration profile on there by any chance? I used them for some basic initial setup stuff before but apparently it causes backups to be encrypted with some mystery password.

I guess I'll have to try the Mac equivalent of wiping iTunes backup/sync stuff next time I need to backup, if possible. I vaguely recall seeing instructions about that somewhere before.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Virtue posted:

Where are the chinese knockoffs of the sleeve with pencil holder

STM makes a few pretty nice cases with a pencil holder built in. One has a cover built in, and another has a cut out so the iPad Pro keyboard can be installed.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

bobfather posted:

If you don't care about losing the backup, I would uninstall iTunes and wipe out the iTunes data directories:

Press Windows+R, type %appdata% and trash the Apple directory there, then navigate to /AppData/Local and trash the Apple directories there
Navigate to C:\ProgramData and trash the Apple directory there

With those files gone, feel free to reinstall iTunes. It should let you do whatever the hell you want after that.
Would this cause the next time I sync my iPhone/iPad to iTunes to do a full wipe and reset of all the synced music? It always takes a very long time when I do that and usually misses a good chunk of the songs.

japtor posted:

Do you have a configuration profile on there by any chance? I used them for some basic initial setup stuff before but apparently it causes backups to be encrypted with some mystery password.
I have a public wi-fi finder profile on there, plus the iOS Beta, both of which are on my iPhone which seems to work fine. I think I must have just goofed and put the wrong initial password in.

Re: the iExplorer injecting of a save game: I do super miss the iOS 8 and below days of straight up just getting into the app folders and being able to tinker in there. This is literally the only app/game I have left that doesn't use cloud saves so it'd be nice for my next iPhone/iPad to be able to have a fresh (non-backup) start but not lose that save data. Sometimes security sucks!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Would this cause the next time I sync my iPhone/iPad to iTunes to do a full wipe and reset of all the synced music? It always takes a very long time when I do that and usually misses a good chunk of the songs.

Very possible. iTunes is a fickle beast, which is why many have abandoned her.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED

bobfather posted:

Totally poo poo and unusable. I also have access to an iPad 1 stuck on iOS 5, and it feels easily twice as fast as the iPad 2 on iOS 9.

I recently got an iPad 2 cheap with OS9, how doomed am I to terrible performance

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DerVerrater posted:

I recently got an iPad 2 cheap with OS9, how doomed am I to terrible performance

p doomed tbh

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

That page tells you what you need to do if you don't want to never use iTunes for backups again:

quote:

If you don't have an iCloud account, the only way to turn off encrypted backups is to erase your device and set it up as new.

Otherwise you're stuck with only iCloud backups.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I can’t get over how nice the display is on the 10.5” Pro. I recently built a computer with a fancy-rear end monitor and this thing is even better than that. I am literally typing this post on my iPad while I’m sitting at my desk in front of my new computer. This is just silly.

I wish I had some more apps to take advantage of it, but otherwise, an iPad Pro with a Smart Keyboard is one of the best investments I’ve made in a long time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is the handwritten text search working in the current iOS 11 betas yet? If so, can anyone check if it only works for Roman alphabet languages or does it also work for e.g. Chinese or Arabic etc?

parasyte posted:

That page tells you what you need to do if you don't want to never use iTunes for backups again:

Otherwise you're stuck with only iCloud backups.
:(
They really don't want anyone to use iTunes, do they?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 10, 2017

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I mean from a security standpoint it would be really dumb to let you simply disable encryption and proceed with an unencrypted backup without supplying the password.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MrBond posted:

I mean from a security standpoint it would be really dumb to let you simply disable encryption and proceed with an unencrypted backup without supplying the password.

Why? The unencrypted backups don't contain any of the information you'd want encrypted. It's essentially just your texts and settings.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Endless Mike posted:

Why? The unencrypted backups don't contain any of the information you'd want encrypted. It's essentially just your texts and settings.

I think lots of people would want texts encrypted

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Regular Nintendo posted:

I think lots of people would want texts encrypted

While I don't disagree, unencrypted backups include them as far as I'm aware. But I mean like passwords and health data and such.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
What health data is so sensitive on an iPhone? That you ran 3.2 miles?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

GoldfishStew posted:

Have you even looked at some of the possible data fields in Health?

Apple has supposedly tried really hard to follow medical privacy laws, which could be even more important if the rumors of serious health sensors come true.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
The health app is such a loving mess I'm just not sure what benefits I would get with plugging my data into it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's less about manually plugging in data, and more about being a common conduit and repository between apps.

It'd be even better if companies like Fitbit quit trying to hold your data hostage.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GoldfishStew posted:

Plenty of HIPPA data on there. Also, there are some providers that can synch your medical records with HealthKit and allow you to share them with other providers as needed. And there are even apps where that allow a Dr to load treatment information and pull data directly from the app.

I don't know if any or all of this exists, but say someone who requires supplemental oxygen and wants to measure consumption, has a wearable Blood O2 monitor, something that can take BP and pulse, a bluetooth scale. All of these things can use apps or interact directly with Health Kit to track data across all these things and update your doctor.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Apple products cost a premium and medical devices cost a premium, so it's a market they can enter that isn't necessarily price sensitive.

If Apple figures out prickless glucose testing they'll be able to sell an Apple Watch Sugar Edition to the ever expanding hoards of diabetics and disrupt yet another market. HealthKit is encrypted because Apple wants health data to be their next big growth industry.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

HealthKit is encrypted because Apple wants health data to be their next big growth industry.

I'd like to think Apple would encrypt it anyway, but it's encrypted (in the US at least) because it can track data that is unambiguously protected by HIPPA.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

While I don't disagree, unencrypted backups include them as far as I'm aware. But I mean like passwords and health data and such.

Yeah that’s exactly the point. An encrypted iTunes backup would encrypt things like your text messages at rest on your computer. Simply allowing someone to turn it off without the password and then make an unencrypted backup would defeat the whole purpose of trying to encrypt it to begin with.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

e: app question goes in app thread

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

You're the DJ of this gig!
Real talk: I feel like I need an keyboard with this new iPad 10,5...

Smart Keyboard or any other (logitech?) variant ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Logitech Logi is great. Adds bulk, but the keyboard is good and it's backlit. I've used mine a lot over the last year and it's been durable.