Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

skeleton warrior posted:

Okay, so wait.

1) Trump Jr.'s statement says "this is the full e-mail chain" but it stops with the top line indicating another message from Rob Goldstone that isn't included

2) Trump Jr'.'s statement says "the woman, as she has stated publicly, was not a government official" but within one of the Goldstone e-mails he calls her "the Russian government attorney"

Am I misunderstanding this or is Trump Jr. really this stupid/brazen?

Edit: Oh, hurrah, the NY Times reporters are already going down this path. So it's not just me.

There's a tweet after that with the 4th page.

The NYT published the email chain and Trump Jr. has posted it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Idk Boon, you can say "both sides both sides " all you want, but when I look at American history it's always the right-wing politicians who are crooks and traitors to America and conservatives who lap up whatever it takes to justify it because their greed and petty hatreds are more important to them than America: Russian collusion, Iran-Contra, Watergate, Nixon torpedoing the Vietnam peace negotiations.

Also the civil war when conservatives led an insurrection against the elected government because their guy lost a democratic election.

There's no equivalent when it comes to left-of-center Presidents, and it's unlikely it's just all a matter of luck or some magical property of the Democratic party that keeps us from nominating traitors, seems like what the voters in each party want from their politicians is fundamentally different

Over the course of my entire adult lifetime it's been alternate eight periods of Republicans breaking poo poo for eight years and then Democrats fixing it

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
You know, goddamn it, I can't help but think Jr. is actually trying to gently caress his dad and the rest of the family over at this point. :stare:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ripoff posted:

You know, goddamn it, I can't help but think Jr. is actually trying to gently caress his dad and the rest of the family over at this point. :stare:

He's not. They're all idiots and it never mattered/might still not matter because people as rich as them aren't allowed to fail.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

skeleton warrior posted:

Okay, so wait.

1) Trump Jr.'s statement says "this is the full e-mail chain" but it stops with the top line indicating another message from Rob Goldstone that isn't included

2) Trump Jr'.'s statement says "the woman, as she has stated publicly, was not a government official" but within one of the Goldstone e-mails he calls her "the Russian government attorney"

Am I misunderstanding this or is Trump Jr. really this stupid/brazen?

Edit: Oh, hurrah, the NY Times reporters are already going down this path. So it's not just me.

Yeah he's actually that dumb. He contradicted himself in the same tweet.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Ripoff posted:

There was absolutely no chance of Jr being willing to take the fall for his dad. Him and Kushner will sing like canaries as soon as there might be consequences, and it looks like that time is nearly upon us.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

What the ever loving poo poo is happening.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

that email chain is even more incriminating than i thought it would be

and i thought it would be pretty loving incriminating

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
welp my brain is now broken for the day

dude just incriminated himself via twitter openly and contradicted statements he made yesterday, two days ago, three days ago and several months ago

thinking it was going to clear his name

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kind of an underplayed aspect of this email is that if it is accurate, then the equivalent of the Attorney General of Russia was the one originally offering up this information.

Going to be kind of awkward for Putin to keep denying involvement if the Russian AG and a Kremlin lawyer are on record as offering this information on behalf of the Russian Government.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

WHY IN THE gently caress WOULD YOU POST THAT ON TWITTER JFC THAT LOOKS BAD

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HOW IN GODS NAME DID HIS LAWYERS LET HIM TWEET THAT

i mean i know daddy trump doesn't listen to anyone but baby don has to be used to people telling him what to do

Caros
May 14, 2008

Okay, I can't be reading this right.

Page four of those e-mails is literally what he is accused of. He just posted a tweet saying "this is ridiculous, look at the emails yourself and see that this meeting was nothing" and included the goddamn page where it was clearly a criminal loving conspiracy.

There is no :psyduck: big enough.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Did Trump Jr. just admit to Russia Government's support of Trump?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/884794273237004288

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
I guess he realized Times had it and decided to get out in front of it?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
hello officer yes i just killed this man but it's ok because here is all of the evidence exonerating me

see this gun with my fingerprints on it

and this photo of me shooting the man

and me taking a selfie with his corpse

we're cool right

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I thought this poo poo would blow over and didn't think it was anything more than "pretty embarassing" HOLY poo poo

I'm Vince McMahon passing out in my chair at work over and over.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ProPublica pointed out that there is a Tweet from an AP reporter that Reince Priebus was at Trump Tower when this meeting occurred.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

i mean i know daddy trump doesn't listen to anyone but baby don has to be used to people telling him what to do

The NYT published the details and confirmed that they had copies first.

I think this is some kind of hare-brained scheme of putting them out to "show he has nothing to hide" even though he only released them because the NYT got ahold of them.

Sensible Thursday posted:

I guess he realized Times had it and decided to get out in front of it?

It's this.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

evilweasel posted:

It's so loving weird.

Like, I can imagine they don't see coordinating with Russia to screw Hillary as a crime or even a wrongdoing (because they're nuts), but where are their lawyers? :psyduck:

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Trump Jr must be taking marching orders to throw himself under the bus. It seems like this is all building up to a narrative of "if there was collusion, it was just this idiot doing it, and look at what an idiot he is. Case closed."

Granted, this is not going to take heat off Trump himself, even if they think it might.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

evilweasel posted:

that email chain is even more incriminating than i thought it would be

and i thought it would be pretty loving incriminating

Yeah, holy poo poo I can't even understand why he thought this would be exonerating

Would the NY Times have already had that chain to put that article together that fast? Or am I just behind?

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

evilweasel posted:

NYT dropped an article with quotes like 2 minutes before that tweet. They had no choice.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Donny Junior is...mind bogglingly stupid. This is like if Donny senior reacted to the access hollywood tapes by going "no no let me tweet the whole exchange and clear this up" and tweet further audio in which he goes into graphic detail of that time he raped his wife.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Hale County, Tex., jail officer sexually abuses detainee, resigns. Six months later, another officer rapes another detainee. Can she sue jail officials for failing to train and supervise their employees? Fifth Circuit: No. After the first rape, they put up a poster and told officers not to assault detainees, which was sufficient to get them qualified immunity.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Caros posted:

Okay, I can't be reading this right.

Page four of those e-mails is literally what he is accused of. He just posted a tweet saying "this is ridiculous, look at the emails yourself and see that this meeting was nothing" and included the goddamn page where it was clearly a criminal loving conspiracy.

There is no :psyduck: big enough.

to be clear

first, he left off the most incriminating page, page 4

then, he looked at just that page, thought it wasn't fair that wasn't in the public domain, and tweeted that out too

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnttBhGVytc

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So to recap, we have Robert Mueller, FBI director for over 10 loving years, who appears to be assembling a dream team of prosecutors, going up against a gaggle of the dumbest motherfuckers the world has ever seen in politics.

I'm starting to think that even if Trump isn't busted before 2020, we're going to see a ridiculous legal bloodbath that consumes everyone around him.

Caros
May 14, 2008

"Look at this picture of me and Nicole, how could anyone think I could ever hurt her" - OJ holding up picture of himself brutally murdering Nicole Simpson.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

He's laughing at us, right? He thinks that he's completely untouchable because of his name and connections and wealth that he's just laughing at us and flaunting how he (thinks he) can't get in trouble for anything, right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

androo posted:

NYT dropped an article with quotes like 2 minutes before that tweet. They had no choice.

still

why admit it

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Party Plane Jones posted:

Literally no idea what the gently caress he's thinking here.

It's entirely possible he's thinking that the GOP will see Desire To Defeat The Archenemy Hillary Clinton as more important than Not Being A loving Traitor, and will let all of this become a massive nothingburger.

He's probably not wrong.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

sean10mm posted:

So to recap, we have Robert Mueller, FBI director for over 10 loving years, who appears to be assembling a dream team of prosecutors, going up against a gaggle of the dumbest motherfuckers the world has ever seen in politics.

I'm starting to think that even if Trump isn't busted before 2020, we're going to see a ridiculous legal bloodbath that consumes everyone around him.

The trick will be getting people to enforce the law against them.

Although, with how unhelpful Donny and pals have been with this abortion of a health bill, we might be approaching the point where the GOP decides to try and cut their losses. Maybe.

evilweasel posted:

still

why admit it

Yeah I can't fathom why your immediate response is anything but silence if you're donny jr. Let alone actually loving corroborating this bombshell. :psyduck:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Look even if the NYT has the emails, is about to post the emails, has pictures of you sending the emails, DO NOT ADMIT THEY'RE YOUR EMAILS.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I can't believe he included the headers showing he forwarded the emails to Kushner and Manafort. They're going to throw him off a building.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

of note, look at the email and see how few people are on it, then ask yourself who leaked it to the times: kushner or manafort

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm just a supergenius and able to see connections that high-level political operatives are blind to, but I seem to recall that half of the entire political narrative for the last two years revolved around how insecure emails can be and the folly of conducting political transactions via them. Weird, really weird that Donald Trump, Jr., didn't think of that!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

These "Respect him because he is the president" people drive me crazy.

If that sentiment was present throughout our history we would have Queen Elizabeth on our money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I know we frown on conspiracies, but what are the chances that Donald Trump Jr. is a democrat sleeper agent?

• Locked thread