Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
CNN already has an op-ed claiming this is politics as usual and nothing illegal. Trump Jr releasing the e-mails plays into that narrative because "this wasn't even something he was trying to hide." And yes, he clearly was trying to hide this, but that's not Trump or Putin's game. These are not men who care about proving to you what is true. Trump and Putin are about discrediting and muddling the very notion of truth. Those loyal to Trump will rewrite and omit whatever facts needed. Politics-as-sports media like CNN will give voice to their lies out of a perverse sense of fairness.

I feel like the certainty that Pence doesn't go down with the ship is a little overconfident because we haven't really faced stuff like this. I doubt he is prosecuted, but the question of "Did he know?" has two answers: Either Pence is complicit or Pence is an idiot*.

The point is that nobody wants the specter of this poo poo on a debate stage in 2020 especially if Pence gives out any pardons. I think it's most likely that if Pence becomes President he doesn't run in 2020. Which is bad because I think Kasich can sell himself a healer and uniter while the Dems might end up three steps behind and trying to run the populist they should have run in 2016.

*I know the answer is both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I take back all of my criticism of Carter Page after today

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Timeless Appeal posted:

CNN already has an op-ed claiming this is politics as usual and nothing illegal. Trump Jr releasing the e-mails plays into that narrative because "this wasn't even something he was trying to hide." And yes, he clearly was trying to hide this, but that's not Trump or Putin's game. These are not men who care about proving to you what is true. Trump and Putin are about discrediting and muddling the very notion of truth. Those loyal to Trump will rewrite and omit whatever facts needed. Politics-as-sports media like CNN will give voice to their lies out of a perverse sense of fairness.

I feel like the certainty that Pence doesn't go down with the ship is a little overconfident because we haven't really faced stuff like this. I doubt he is prosecuted, but the question of "Did he know?" has two answers: Either Pence is complicit or Pence is an idiot*.

The point is that nobody wants the specter of this poo poo on a debate stage in 2020 especially if Pence gives out any pardons. I think it's most likely that if Pence becomes President he doesn't run in 2020. Which is bad because I think Kasich can sell himself a healer and uniter while the Dems might end up three steps behind and trying to run the populist they should have run in 2016.

Did Cilazza write that oped

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cacator posted:

At least the mafia has a code of silence.

Also the Mafia tends to kill have an unfortunate accident happen to the stupid ones that don't know how to not spill the beans. Unfortunately, all of the Trumps are morons and narcissists.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It feels like every time there is a big news story like this we all go "here's the proof!" and after a few days everything keeps going as usual

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It feels like every time there is a big news story like this we all go "here's the proof!" and after a few days everything keeps going as usual

Watergate took two years

He did't... put the deleted tapes on TV, but still. These things take time

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When you tell yourself 'nothing matters' remember that just before Mueller was appointed everyone was all 'He's going to get away unscathed with no special counsel after firing the FBI director' lol

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

CNN already has an op-ed claiming this is politics as usual and nothing illegal. Trump Jr releasing the e-mails plays into that narrative because "this wasn't even something he was trying to hide." And yes, he clearly was trying to hide this, but that's not Trump or Putin's game.

It's really hard to push a narrative that he wasn't trying to hide it when everything up until they email chain was released was him very specifically trying to hide it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Hard to get the engine of justice running when the people in charge of prosecuting and convicting over Treason and Impeachment are on the criminal's team. All the Media can do is air it and circulate opinions.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What's the chances that Donald Jr released the emails at the advice of his lawyer?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

A scenario that sees Trump impeached means that the Dems took the House in 2018 and the Republicans want rid of Trump very, very badly. Pence is certain to come out of this utterly covered in Trump's poo poo, but the Republicans can't remove him as well, because then President Pelosi. No chance Pence runs in 2020, so the Dems will spend the entire time spreading Trump's poo poo around the entire party while the Republicans probably make up even crazier lies than we've yet seen to deflect.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

Did Cilazza write that oped
My bad, it wasn't an op-ed but an article discussing an interview with Sabastian Gorka. Still the point of the article is provide the counter point of view that Junior has done nothing wrong.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

You know the proof was tweeted out by the person who committed it right

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Still no word from Greenwald on Jrs emails, but he did retweet this
https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/884805947499192320
Cool that you're paying for her defense after your sloppiness got her arrested, it's the least you could do

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Charliegrs posted:

What's the chances that Donald Jr released the emails at the advice of his lawyer?

If he did he should probably seek new representation

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Somewhere around negative ten billion percent, plus or minus five.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

haveblue posted:

Please change the thread subtitle to "The son make a tweet" thanks

That or "the son also tweets"

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Charliegrs posted:

Same as the chance his lawyer doesn't even remotely have any idea what he's doing, or is actively undermining his client in grand fashion.

I mean, in this administration that's not a negligible possibility, so.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Lid posted:

You know the proof was tweeted out by the person who committed it right

Yeah, it's embarrassing but next week Donnie Jr will still be attending important policy meetings and his dad will still be president. I know people are saying this will take time but I'm out of time man!!

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Everything is amazing, but maybe the most amazing is to see all this jailhouse lawyering horseshit from well heeled masters of the universe types. This is almost sovereign citizen level willful self delusion. White shoe lawyers with clients who behave like nightmare clients at the public defenders office. Surreal.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

evilweasel posted:

HOW IN GODS NAME DID HIS LAWYERS LET HIM TWEET THAT

i mean i know daddy trump doesn't listen to anyone but baby don has to be used to people telling him what to do

There's got to be a pardon already signed and sealed for him. There has to be.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Remember three years ago when Comey's testimony was the craziest poo poo in the news?

Holy poo poo I picked a hell of a day to start reading the news again.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Scene: Trump Tower June 7 4 pm

Veselnitskaya: Now when I say, "Let's talk about 'adoption'" and press down on your foot, you smile and nod.

Don Jr: No problem.

Veselnitskaya: Let's talk about "adoption".

Don Jr.: *stares blankly* This is the most insane nonsense I've ever heard.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Timeless Appeal posted:

My bad, it wasn't an op-ed but an article discussing an interview with Sabastian Gorka. Still the point of the article is provide the counter point of view that Junior has done nothing wrong.

A Hungarian Nazi is a reliable source

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

That's because there are just enough people out there who are completely brainwashed by Trump, and believe that every word that comes out of his camp is God's truth.

That's probably why Junior tweeted out an e-mail conversation that corroborates the NYT story while saying that it does the opposite - because enough people out there will believe it to make sure that nothing will happen.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

A scenario that sees Trump impeached means that the Dems took the House in 2018 and the Republicans want rid of Trump very, very badly. Pence is certain to come out of this utterly covered in Trump's poo poo, but the Republicans can't remove him as well, because then President Pelosi. No chance Pence runs in 2020, so the Dems will spend the entire time spreading Trump's poo poo around the entire party while the Republicans probably make up even crazier lies than we've yet seen to deflect.

Much crazier scenario: things start moving really loving fast, and Trump's popularity utterly craters and Pence is implicated beyond any doubt. The Republicans decide to impeach them both so they can get ahead of the Dems and put Ryan in the White House.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Trump Up 2: The Tweets

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

SHOAH NUFF posted:

At this point, the only thing that can "keep everything from going on as usual" is Mueller bringing a criminal case against DJT, his family, or his inner circle of staff. That in itself takes time. Even in the most clear-cut and uncontroversial of cases, it takes months to happen.

And keep in mind, the Trump timeline only feels like time has accelerated.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Reverand maynard posted:

reminder that trump hasn't even actually hosed anything up yet. He's damaged our government but I mean he hasn't gotten anyone killed directly because of his incompetence during a crisis yet.

"Trump hasn't hosed anything up, he's just destroying the Federal government and the US's credibility on the world stage. :downs:"

The only (also underfunded and understaffed) agency that has even a token ability to police the integrity of elections will likely no longer exist by 2018 at the rate Trump's going. I'm sure that'll be ok too.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Hmm this disgraced Romanian neo nazi makes a good point...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BlueberryCanary posted:

At this point, the only thing that can "keep everything from going on as usual" is Mueller bringing a criminal case against DJT, his family, or his inner circle of staff. That in itself takes time. Even in the most clear-cut and uncontroversial of cases, it takes months to happen.

And keep in mind, the Trump timeline only feels like time has accelerated.

Actually, it feels like time has stretched to infinity

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Trasson posted:

Somewhere around negative ten billion percent, plus or minus five.

To be fair, his lawyers probably said something and Jr, being Jr, did the thing he wasn't supposed because he doesn't understand complex words like evidence, proof or criminal.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/884815267905318912

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

This is the only thing that makes sense to me.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

i am the bird posted:

Trump Up 2: The Tweets

Dang

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

So in the end, nothing happens. Ugh.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Craigipedia/status/884806272306040832

B B
Dec 1, 2005

President Trump is being advised not to wade into the Don Jr. stuff:

CNN posted:

White House officials, lawyer are advising Trump not to comment on Don, Jr. reports
From CNN’s Jeremy Diamond and Jeff Zeleny:

President Donald Trump has been advised against tweeting about reports of his eldest son's meeting with a Russian lawyer during the campaign.

An administration official tells CNN that Trump's lawyer and White House officials are urging him not to weigh in. But it's anyone's guess whether he will follow that advice.

White House advisers and others close to the president have urged Trump in recent days not to tweet about the revelation or subsequent reports on the meeting that was first reported by the New York Times, a person familiar with the discussions told CNN.

In recent weeks, the White House has sought to distance itself from the Russia investigation, with limited success.

Trump has frequently taken to Twitter to push back on the latest allegations of collusion between Trump campaign associates and Russia, sometimes going against the advice of his top aides and lawyers.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

B B posted:

President Trump is being advised not to wade into the Don Jr. stuff:

so he will be 5 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

WampaLord posted:

This is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Not really, because then he can be compelled to testify and can't invoke the 5th.

• Locked thread