Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I will admit I think it's hilarious that Jordan managed to put out three books in between the publication of Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows . . . despite literally dying.

This is a better comparison. Jordan was a machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

How does Sanderson stack up?

We're comparing humans. Self aware novel generating AIs should not be included.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New Dresden short is out. Luccio's POV is neat, and the setting of this one is both ridiculous and fun.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Megazver posted:

Sanderson is an inhuman wordcount machine.

Yeah, but that's all he has going for him. His books tend to be notably bad even by the relatively lax standards of the genre. Clunky dialogue, wooden characters, mediocre plotting and action scenes. He writes like his passion is RPG sourcebooks but he needs to write novels to pay the bills.

I think it's telling the the best things he's ever written are the last three Wheel of Time books, which were written using 11 books worth of somebody else's character development and voices, somebody else's plot notes and outlines, and somebody else's worldbuilding.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I will admit I think it's hilarious that Jordan managed to put out three books in between the publication of Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows . . . despite literally dying.

and none of them included extensive scenes of people making GBS threads!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but that's all he has going for him. His books tend to be notably bad even by the relatively lax standards of the genre. Clunky dialogue, wooden characters, mediocre plotting and action scenes. He writes like his passion is RPG sourcebooks but he needs to write novels to pay the bills.

I think it's telling the the best things he's ever written are the last three Wheel of Time books, which were written using 11 books worth of somebody else's character development and voices, somebody else's plot notes and outlines, and somebody else's worldbuilding.

I'm sorry, but The Emperor's Soul is great. :colbert:

Snapshot and Legion are pretty good too.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 4, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Mistborn Trilogy was really enjoyable (not urban fantasy though)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Was it? I found it boring as hell past the first book.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

Was it? I found it boring as hell past the first book.
The second book was a bit of a dip but the third book brought it back

or maybe you just weren't into it

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The second series (alloy of law) is worth checking out - same magic system expect the world is undergoing an industrial revolution. But then I liked mistborn too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Generally enjoyed Sanderson's books when I read them, although the romance often struck me as rather cloying (compare: most of the romance in Codex Alera).

However, the one that I most remember is a more obscure one called Warbreaker, which I thought was odd because it changes main characters halfway through, which I don't think I'd ever seen before when I read it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Avalerion posted:

The second series (alloy of law) is worth checking out - same magic system expect the world is undergoing an industrial revolution. But then I liked mistborn too.

The first Alloy of Law book bounced off me hard, and I enjoyed the heck out of the OG Mistborn trilogy. Terrible, bland characterizations and bad quippery mixed in between lovely expository dialog. Like, I guess the "magic" is cool or whatever, but the book was like reading a YA fanfic of some lovely Nickelodeon tv show.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You guys know there's a Sanderson thread, right?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Mac is a former Watcher angel, mostly found in the Book of Enoch. Responsible for giving mankind things like magic and technology; the angels that get it on with humanity in Genesis to make Nephilim; and ultimately are imprisoned in Tartarus for their crimes.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

According to my friends, what was released after he died was better than what was released when he was alive.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Mac is Mananann "Mac" Lir from the Iron Druid series

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Mac is the living avatar of the Big Mac.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Daric posted:

Mac is Mananann "Mac" Lir from the Iron Druid series

Lir is a Celtic god so that's out.

His last name means "the poor man" in Celtic. My guess is he is Wiglaf from Beowulf.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

get back in the word mines butcher

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fearless posted:

According to my friends, what was released after he died was better than what was released when he was alive.

The last four books are better than the middle six books but not as good as the first four (Eye of the World, Great Hunt, Dragon Reborn, Shadow Rising), imho. To be fair to Jordan, he did actually write one of those last four completely himself, and parts of each of them. Sanderson def. helped get things on track though.

edit: Jesus christ there were a lot of books in that series.

That said yeah this isn't urban fantasy unless we count Caemlyn.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 4, 2017

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Can someone remind me why you lot keep referring to Dresden's kids in the plural? I thought he just had Maggie?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

hatelull posted:

Can someone remind me why you lot keep referring to Dresden's kids in the plural? I thought he just had Maggie?

Bonnie, the spirit of intellect born in Skin Game, is also his progeny.

tagged, just to be safe.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rygar201 posted:

Bonnie, the spirit of intellect born in Skin Game, is also his progeny.

tagged, just to be safe.

Oh right? That was the book where he had all the headaches right? That kid actually became a whole person? Where did she end up?

This is the frustrating aspect of the long running UF series like Dresden? I'm not much for re-reading the books but I always forget nuances of the sub plots. :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hatelull posted:

Oh right? That was the book where he had all the headaches right? That kid actually became a whole person? Where did she end up?

In the carved wooden skull he originally made for Bob.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Isn't there supposed to be a new laundry files book soon

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ramadu posted:

July 11th in the US. The Delirium Brief.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've met Jim twice at phoenix comicon, the first time was literally a week or two after Skin Game came out and he was super high energy, happy, awesome with the crowd. This year he was really quiet, admittedly hung over, and looked like he'd rather be anywhere except on the panels he was on. It was a really stark difference. He didn't even come to the author meetup for charity on friday night when every other author came. :(

Hope things get back on track for him.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Is the cosplay lady dresden's Yoko?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just finished the new Daniel Faust. I really enjoyed it, and the writing seemed a bit more refined to me. That all said, I was a bit disappointed in that it didn't do a whole lot to advance the overarching story. However given Schaefer's prolific output I'm ok with it and it was kind of cool to see the touchpoints with the Harmony Black series.

I, and I'm sure, most of you, knew that eventually Daniel was going to end up more closely tied to Sitri's court. It'll be really interesting to see how Schaefer handles that because it really could run the gamut from really bad to really good

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ramadu posted:

JFYI this book dropped today for Kindle readers.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

biracial bear for uncut posted:

JFYI this book dropped today for Kindle readers.

US is out today, Europe on Thursday.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Reading it now, holy gently caress Schiller survived being trapped in The Sleeper's Pyramid :monocle:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Reading it now, holy gently caress Schiller survived being trapped in The Sleeper's Pyramid :monocle:

That was revealed in a sample chapter months ago.

I skipped ahead to the epilogue because I don't have the time to read this one and don't want it weighing on me. LOL, meet the new boss same as the old boss that tried to sacrifice you and bind the Eater of Souls into your body. I'm impressed at Stross's ability to create a situation short of the death or enslavement of all humanity or open full scale necromantic war that is still significantly worse than the ending of the previous book.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I finished the new Laundry book last night (got it early at a B&M). It's real good.

I think I have to go reread The Fuller Memorandum now.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I skipped ahead to the epilogue because I don't have the time to read this one and don't want it weighing on me. LOL, meet the new boss same as the old boss that tried to sacrifice you and bind the Eater of Souls into your body. I'm impressed at Stross's ability to create a situation short of the death or enslavement of all humanity or open full scale necromantic war that is still significantly worse than the ending of the previous book.

Did we know from previous books that the Mandate was the Black Pharaoh? Or was that new info. Also, I didn't understand the bit at the very end where the Feeder babbles that gibberish at him? What was that about?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

navyjack posted:

Did we know from previous books that the Mandate was the Black Pharaoh? Or was that new info.

Definitely new info. He was just a random villain-of-the-chapter with a superpower in the previous book.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

navyjack posted:

Did we know from previous books that the Mandate was the Black Pharaoh? Or was that new info. Also, I didn't understand the bit at the very end where the Feeder babbles that gibberish at him? What was that about?

I didn't recall it and I didn't understand that bit either.

I also like the implication towards the end that Schiller is not only not the thing that has started to eat the US government, he is also probably not even working for the Nazgul anymore. He is in the UK in a final, desperate bid to get the hell away from whatever it is that ate the US government, and dreads going back to face it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

You should go read it, it has a quick throwaway line that gives a chilling look into Bob's power-up After an attack on him where he used his Eater of Souls power to kill the 3 bad guys, he tells someone that if it had gotten away from him, he could have Eaten everyone in a kilometer radius (in downtown London). He then notes to himself that that is bollocks...he's not sure how far he could Eat, but it was a hell of a lot further than that. He also compares himself to a Trident submarine. Our little IT geek has grown way up!

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I've been re-reading the Dresden Files and I've developed a wild theory that I'm 90% sure is true, despite having absolutely no evidence to back it up.
I'm pretty sure what two of Mother Winter and Mother Summer's mantles are, potentially their oldest and most powerful.

Mother Summer=Eve
Mother Winter=Lilith

Lilith is relatively obscure but figures into a number of religious mythos, my primary focus is on how she's painted in Jewish tradition. She was the first wife of Adam, banished from the garden for refusing to submit to his authority, and eventually became the mother of every evil and nasty thing that walks the face of the Earth. Compare to Eve, mother of life and humanity.

I have no evidence whatsoever but this feels like a very Jim Butcher thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Arcsech posted:

I didn't recall it and I didn't understand that bit either.

I also like the implication towards the end that Schiller is not only not the thing that has started to eat the US government, he is also probably not even working for the Nazgul anymore. He is in the UK in a final, desperate bid to get the hell away from whatever it is that ate the US government, and dreads going back to face it.

even dead gods are terrified of hypercapitalism and trumps kakistocracy lmao

i finished it tonight and it was pretty good. I thought it was really weird that bob is basically incompetent now and thought the ending was kinda weak. Oh well on to the next book!

get back in the word mines butcher i'm a content locust and need more books buzz buzz