Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
prepare to dehumanize yourself and face to dongles though

everything needs a loving dongle.

everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I liked how the mba could plug into a Apple display I got handed down at work so all my USB poo poo was plugged into that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well it can't now unless you get a dongle, a $70 tb3 to tb2 adapter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

reminder: apple does not sell a monitor or dock that will work with their flagship laptop without at least one layer of adapters

every port on the old apple display now requires a separate individual dongle

third party options fail around wifi

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 11, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

timb realized the future of apple is making incomplete products that require pricey accessories to function, then selling accessories

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

timb realized the future of apple is making incomplete products that require pricey accessories to function, then selling accessories

someone post that onion "i'm thinking printers" article

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

New Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm Thinking Printers'

SAN FRANCISCO—Following the resignation of Apple founder Steve Jobs, incoming CEO Tim Cook called a meeting of shareholders and members of the press Thursday morning to announce that he envisioned printers as the company’s future. “Laser, ink-jet, double-sided, color, black-and-white—the future of technology is in printers. I am absolutely convinced of that,” Cook explained to a packed auditorium as a montage of printers and people using printers played on a screen behind him. “What is the one thing people will always need? It’s obvious: printers. Printers with fax machines attached, printers that collate and staple, perhaps a printer that makes photocopies. Anything’s possible. It’s called innovation.” Cook concluded his remarks by assuring investors the release of upcoming Apple products such as the iPhone 5 would be postponed for at least four years so the company could throw all its time and resources into the creation of high-quality printers for the home and office.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

thank you

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

if your printer does not say brother you should burn your house down

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BONGHITZ posted:

if your printer does not say brother you should burn your house down

agreed but i keep a big fat wide format epson on the side for when i want to print a big juicy super b

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My printer is a Canon but it has two little Brothers :shobon:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bump_fn posted:

I'm gonna replace my 13" air this fall is the new 13" pro that they claim is as thin as an air any good

i just did this last week theres some good and bad but in general its just another air

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LastInLine posted:

i just did this last week theres some good and bad but in general its just another air

I already did this and it's not another air. it's a good laptop and the screen alone is worth the upgrade but it doesn't feel the same

the good news is 3 months later I'm finally used to the keyboard

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I mostly like the keyboard of the new mb pro, the only dumb things are the lack of physical escape button on the touchbar model and the stupid combined up/down arrow keys. It would have been perfect if they had split the right shift key in two and stuck the up arrow over there, it could have been one of the few laptops with full size cursor keys :(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the thing that bugs me about the keyboard is the stupid caps lock hole, it glows green when caps lock is on and white when it's not :psyduck:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

infernal machines posted:

reminder: apple does not sell a monitor or dock that will work with their flagship laptop without at least one layer of adapters

every port on the old apple display now requires a separate individual dongle

third party options fail around wifi

Apples flagship pro laptop doesn't work with their flagship phone out of the box without dongles

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Apples flagship pro laptop doesn't work with their flagship phone out of the box without dongles

sure it does, bluetooth and wifi make handof, icloud, airdrop, etc.all work great

who physically plugs in their phone in 2017?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Everyone who needs to charge it, which is everyone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

emoji posted:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

emoji posted:

you charge from a wall charger, convenient usb port on your desk or a battery

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

sure it does, bluetooth and wifi make handof, icloud, airdrop, etc.all work great

who physically plugs in their phone in 2017?

you have to plug it in once to enable wifi sync

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

qirex posted:

All of which are less convenient than the laptop or are the laptop itself (convenient usb port on your desk) and require additional plastic garbage to be bought.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

You don't need a dongle you just need a new cable (which would obviously be too expensive for them to just include with their stupid $3000 laptop)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

qirex posted:

so worse alternatives to a dongle

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

I already did this and it's not another air. it's a good laptop and the screen alone is worth the upgrade but it doesn't feel the same

the good news is 3 months later I'm finally used to the keyboard

i mean yeah i guess its weighted differently but it feels close enough for me. i liked the airs design more but the screen and the keyboard on the pro are nice enough that its a wash in my eyes

its bullshit they dont include the long ac plug in the box but ive got enough extras from having to replace failed magsafe 1 air chargers that i didnt want for one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LastInLine posted:

i mean yeah i guess its weighted differently but it feels close enough for me. i liked the airs design more but the screen and the keyboard on the pro are nice enough that its a wash in my eyes

its bullshit they dont include the long ac plug in the box but ive got enough extras from having to replace failed magsafe 1 air chargers that i didnt want for one

I swear the keys have "broken in" a bit and feel softer but that might just be me, thing felt like simon buttons at first

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

my work bought me a 15" touchbarn. it might be the worst thing apple has ever released. i don't use it as much as accidentally press the wrong thing all day

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

quote:

It’s good that Apple is doing this, but the fact that these things are just glued together shows how different Apple Watches are from traditional mechanical watches. You can buy a $60 watch from Seiko with better assembly quality than an Apple Watch Edition.

john gruber lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

being a professional pundit is bad enough but being a pundit about a company is like a whole other level of lame

e: also those $60 seikos are accurate to like 15 seconds a day

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah timex is the cheap watch of choice but even they're getting expensive

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

i have an Apple Watch and i hit it against a table and the screen came off, it's just glue

bone app the teeth posted:

my work bought me a 15" touchbarn. it might be the worst thing apple has ever released. i don't use it as much as accidentally press the wrong thing all day

touch bar loving sucks

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

i know im disappointed that its sold out too

poty
Jun 21, 2008

r u ready to WALK posted:

My printer is a Canon but it has two little Brothers :shobon:

how do you manage with only 3 printers?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

You don't need a dongle you just need a new cable (which would obviously be too expensive for them to just include with their stupid $3000 laptop)

i wonder if theyll have the balls to make this the default cable for the iphone pro

i bet there have been multiple meetings about this

poty
Jun 21, 2008

carry on then posted:

john gruber lmao

he also praised an ugly rear end android with a loving fingerprint reader on the back

someone has hacked grubers computer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

i wonder if theyll have the balls to make this the default cable for the iphone pro

i bet there have been multiple meetings about this

the vast majority of iphone owners don't own macs though and of the ones that do only a fraction have usb-c equipped machines [and I assume the state of usb-c in windows is bad]

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
usbc in windows works gr8

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

the vast majority of iphone owners don't own macs though and of the ones that do only a fraction have usb-c equipped machines [and I assume the state of usb-c in windows is bad]

include it with macs that have usb-c ports.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
casio databank calculator watch supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

I bought a couple of these, but then I realized I don't really plug anything into my 12" MacBook.

• Locked thread