Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Embiid will get an extension this year though

if they give Embiid the max they will have have like 30 million in cap space still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Pretty sure the max for Embiid would make him like the 30th best paid player in the league

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Multi-year tanking plans are actually the most effective strategy

Here's how I would rank the various NBA strategies

1. Multi-year tanking
2. Pre-Harden-Rockets-style plans
3. Trying to sign All-NBA players as FAs
4. Signing overpriced vets
5. Whatever the Knicks are doing

Which teams would you say were successful with the strategy of multi-year tanking?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Which teams would you say were successful with the strategy of multi-year tanking?

The warriors

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Paul Zuvella posted:

You know that if one of them hits, they can still like trade or sign free agents, right?

People act like they literally only are allowed to use their draft picks lmao

Yes of course, but it's hard to do. Ask Chicago or Indy how easy it is to build a team around a single top-15 player when you are constantly drafting 15-25 and don't have much cap room. Milwaukee are going to run into the same problem over the next couple of years.

That was the whole point behind Hinkie's thinking - go all in on the draft because that's the best way to get superstars.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh god. Embiid might be making Otto Porter money. Oh god the humanity

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Metapod posted:

The warriors

All we needed was a 20 year head-start and a We Believe test run!

Edit:

In the 12 seasons between 1994-95 and 2005-06 the Warriors won 27 games on average.

Then came two "good" seasons with 42 and 48 wins.

The next four seasons they won 29 games on average.

2012-13 to 2016-17 they have won 61 games on average.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 11, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The idea that the 76ers are in any cap position is incredibly bizarre. They are going to have literally one of the most favorable cap positions next year. Almost 50 million in cap space before Embiid signs his offer sheet. They have 2 extremely highly touted rookies on their rookie scale contracts, Dario Saric, who is a legit role player on a rookie scale contract, and a player that is unanimously agreed upon to be a star if he is healthy.

How on earth can anyone look at that and say "uh oh"

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yes of course, but it's hard to do. Ask Chicago or Indy how easy it is to build a team around a single top-15 player when you are constantly drafting 15-25 and don't have much cap room. Milwaukee are going to run into the same problem over the next couple of years.

That was the whole point behind Hinkie's thinking - go all in on the draft because that's the best way to get superstars.

Here is a list of teams that have build title contenders in the past few years around a single top 15 player.

The Golden State Warriors
The Cleveland Cavaliers
The Spurs
The Houston Rockets
The Oklahoma City Thunder

The Bulls had a hard time building around their top 15 player because they have a dogshit owner and their front office is literally one of the worst in the league.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 11, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

Exactly

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah I don't know if one team has ever had a contrast between being so likeable and so unlikeable in such a short time period

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Paul Zuvella posted:

Here is a list of teams that have build title contenders in the past few years around a single top 15 player.

The Cleveland Cavaliers
The Spurs
The Houston Rockets

The Bulls had a hard time building around their top 15 player because they have a dogshit owner and their front office is literally one of the worst in the league.

This is a pretty loose definition of "single"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

What

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah I don't know if one team has ever had a contrast between being so likeable and so unlikeable in such a short time period

I doubt it. They went from having a .350 winning percentage to winning 73 games in four years. There was no middle ground.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Panzeh posted:

I would say Cleveland, OKC, Golden State, and San Antonio have all had recent success that was brought about in part by tanking.

A better question would be which teams were successful without tanking. Looking at last years standings, pretty much every playoff team except Atlanta, Houston, Indy, Chicago and SAS tanked to get their best players.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jack's Flow posted:

I doubt it. They went from having a .350 winning percentage to winning 73 games in four years. There was no middle ground.

The 47 + 51-win teams were pretty well-loved for being fun + breaking 2K, and had Mark Jackson to soak up all excess hate

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
That's true. I still hate him.

Bruce Bowen in Wimbledon. Love the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttvx-4O1a98

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Who did the Thunder have last year other than Westbrook as a top 15 player? They completely turned it around and retooled and became a contender again this year.

Until Durant came along, who on Golden state was also a top 15 player? Curry, obviously, but after that it gets hairy. They are obviously the most debatable inclusion on that list, I will give you that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Who did the Thunder have last year other than Westbrook as a top 15 player? They completely turned it around and retooled and became a contender again this year.

By adding a top 15 player

Paul Zuvella posted:

Until Durant came along, who on Golden state was also a top 15 player? Curry, obviously, but after that it gets hairy. They are obviously the most debatable inclusion on that list, I will give you that.

Draymond and Klay both made the All-NBA team in 2015-16

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
nm

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think we need to set a formal definition of "tanking" because personally that's not the term I associate with picking in the mid-late lottery

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

By adding a top 15 player

That's literally the point I am making. It is possible for a team with one top-15 player that they draft and grow naturally to then aquire another through trades or free agency.

I also disagree that Klay or Draymond are top-15 players, but that's a different discussion.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Golden State's first title

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

If you are just looking at the rosters right now not the rosters of the past few years I understand your point but if you are just looking at this year's rosters do you think Chris Paul is not a top 15 player? How did you come this list of teams?

Steph and green

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Draymond Green is a top 15 player in the league and has been for 3 years.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dutchy posted:

I think we need to set a formal definition of "tanking" because personally that's not the term I associate with picking in the mid-late lottery

People seem to mix up "tanking" with "we don't care if we are good right now"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

If you are just looking at the rosters right now not the rosters of the past few years I understand your point but if you are just looking at this year's rosters do you think Chris Paul is not a top 15 player? How did you come this list of teams?

Steph and green

No where in my post do I say I am only looking at current Rosters, in fact...

Paul Zuvella posted:

It is a list of teams that go from not having 1 top 15 player to having 2 top 15 players and/or being a title contender regardless.

Someone posted that the 76ers are hosed if just one of their players develops into a top-15 talent and I responded with this list. it's not rocket science, people.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 11, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

WhyteRyce posted:

"we don't care if we are good right now"

Which is the only healthy mindset to have if you're not the Warriors.

C'est la vie. Just keep someone on the board who can recognize when the Warriors get tired of winning.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

People seem to mix up "tanking" with "we don't care if we are good right now"

Isn't that just on the same spectrum though? I think the complaint about Philly wasn't what they were doing, but how hard they had the pedal down.

All things considered, they didn't even really hurt their ticket sales all that much, it bounced back to pre-process levels last season. That team was going into the cellar for a couple years no matter what.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

I would say Cleveland, OKC, Golden State, and San Antonio have all had recent success that was brought about in part by tanking.

A better question would be which teams were successful without tanking. Looking at last years standings, pretty much every playoff team except Atlanta, Houston, Indy, Chicago and SAS tanked to get their best players.

I would say in counterpoint that tanking one year isn't what i'd consider multi-year tanking. GSW actually did try to compete, and cleveland did not get a tremendous haul from tanking.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I would say in counterpoint that tanking one year isn't what i'd consider multi-year tanking. GSW actually did try to compete, and cleveland did not get a tremendous haul from tanking.

Cleveland got 3 number one picks in 4 years...

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Paul Zuvella posted:

Cleveland got 3 number one picks in 4 years...

They got lebron james.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

Isn't that just on the same spectrum though? I think the complaint about Philly wasn't what they were doing, but how hard they had the pedal down.

All things considered, they didn't even really hurt their ticket sales all that much, it bounced back to pre-process levels last season. That team was going into the cellar for a couple years no matter what.

Hinkie probably would have been fine without the blunt honesty about bottoming out and the 1-2-3 punch of drafting Noel (injured for a year), Saric (overseas for several years) and Embiid (injured for two years). All those moves are fine in a vacuum but that middle stretch when the team kept punting did the most damage.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Panzeh posted:

They got lebron james.

so why exactly did you say they didn't get a tremendous haul?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

so why exactly did you say they didn't get a tremendous haul?

One was Anthony Bennett and the other No. 1 pick they got from the Clippers in a fluke trade

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Cleveland Cavaliers
The Spurs
The Houston Rockets

GSW - Superstars Draymond Green and Kevin Durant, all-stars Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, okay player Steph Curry
Cavs - Kevin Love was #3 in PER the season before he moved from MIN to CLE. Other people think Kyrie is a top 15 guy but I mostly disagree
Spurs - Kawhi, Pau, Aldridge, 9, 11, 13 in PER the season before they're all on the Spurs. Previously winning the title with 4 first-ballot Hall Of Famers
AFF don't read this -- Rockets - who considered the Rockets a contender and when?
Thunder - Three future MVPs on the team when they made the finals, 2 in the most recent years

Every single one of those examples is wrong, which doesn't lend credibility to your argument

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 11, 2017

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Playoff teams last year

GSW - Tanked for Curry, Barnes and Klay
SAS - Didn't tank to get any current players
HOU - Didn't tank to get any current players
LAC - Tanked for Blake
UTA - Tanked for Exum
OKC - Tanked for Westbrook
MEM - Tanked for Conley
POR - Tanked for Leonard and CJ

BOS - Tanked for Smart
CLE - Tanked for Kyrie
TOR - Tanked for Demar and Jonas
WAS - Tanked for Wall
ATL - Didn't tank to get any current players
MIL - Tanked for Jabari
IND - Didn't tank to get any current players
CHI - Didn't tank to get any current players

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/884820180743757824

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Panzeh posted:

:thunk:

And their best pick came from taking in a bad contract and sending out a decent-enough player (Good WS/48 the last couple years), which is a straight up Hinkie move.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

SAS - Didn't tank to get any current players

You can probably consider their 20 year run to have started with the tank season to get Duncan, the greatest Power Forward in NBA History

edit: also tanked for Durant and won 23 games in a season to pick up Harden

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think one year of tanking is anything like what the sixers are doing.

• Locked thread