Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It's the moogle theme from FFV. Like, the style and tone of the song are very similar to Nightmare Before Christmas (and stuff like Alice In Wonderland to a lesser extent) but most of the actual song is nearly note-for-note the moogle theme from FFV (and FFVI), which predates Nightmare Before Christmas by several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My reading comprehension is lacking and I wondered how One Winged Angel sounded anything at all like When Worlds Collide.

The composer's claim that he had never heard the song before is laughable.

VV If you can't tell Rammstein from Rob Zombie that's on you, not industrial metal.

Alien Sex Manual has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Jul 11, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Hot Take: All industrial metal sounds the same especially from the late 90's.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Dishonored 2

The "Crack in the Slab" level. Game has been out for a while now but I'll put this in spoilers just in case. The basic idea of the level is that you're in a mansion owned by a man who's in a sort of magic-induced insanity as a result of an occult ritual performed there many years earlier. As a result time is all twisted, and the Outsider gives you a gizmo which allows you to instantly switch between the current time when the mansion is empty and dilapidated, and the past around the time the ritual occurred. The neat thing is how it actually works, since outside being able to switch back and forth with a mouse click, you can also make it bring up an array of crystals which act as a sort of window to the past.

This means you get to spend the whole level basically playing time assassin which your enemies are completely helpless to stop you. Bring up the window to the past while you're in the present day, find a guard wandering around, position yourself behind them, warp to the past, backstab them, warp back to the present, bring up the window again and watch as the other guards freak out about what just happened, repeat. It's completely unfair from a balance perspective I guess but the game is relatively easy anyway if you're doing a lethal run and drat it that level in particular a lot of fun.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

Sunswipe posted:

Been replaying Dead Island: Riptide (because hurling a three foot sword modified with puke toxins into a zombie never gets old) and I really appreciated that it lets you skip the prologue that exists mostly to explain the controls. More games need to recognise that they've been played before, so we can skip the "move the left analogue stick to move" sequences.

I was twelve hours into Dead Island when the Zin attacked. Now I'll never finish. I won't forgive them for that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I opened up When World's Collide and One Winged Angel to see, thought they actually sounded pretty similar, and then I realized that One Winged Angel was actually playing in the background.

They sound nothing alike.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

I opened up When World's Collide and One Winged Angel to see, thought they actually sounded pretty similar, and then I realized that One Winged Angel was actually playing in the background.

They sound nothing alike.

The FFXIV boss is sephirot, not sephiroth. This is his song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdV_bzJgRxE

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Guy Mann posted:

Do yourself a favor and never look up how much of Nobuo Uematsu's most iconic work is lifted from 70s prog rock.
Actually, mind giving some examples? I love some of Uematsu's stuff but I'm not bothered by him lifting bits from other stuff. I'm just curious to hear some comparisons.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
People talking about FFXIV's musical batshittery and genre-hopping for raids like that's not the best part of the soundtrack.

The worst part is that Heavensward's story only knows one tune.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'm an idiot and also read FFIV instead.

Though with names that close, really, I've no idea what they were expecting.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Cleretic posted:

People talking about FFXIV's musical batshittery and genre-hopping for raids like that's not the best part of the soundtrack.

The worst part is that Heavensward's story only knows one tune.

I love FFXIV's soundtrack like a LOT, but it does this weird thing where half the tracks will be crazy boss (and sometimes dungeon) tunes that are in a completely different genre than anything else in the game, and the other half will be variations of the expansion's main theme with varying levels of adrenaline.

To be fair, the main themes can be surprisingly versatile. Compare this to this. Still, even the best song can get stale after an expansion.

Edit: I do want to emphasize that the boss theme I linked is rad as hell, so put that down as my favorite "little thing in a game" for this post.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I wish World of Warcraft had better music. Some of it is pretty awesome -- like the Ulduar raid, and Grizzly Hills, both from WotLK -- but for the most part the rest of it is dull, dull, dull.

One little thing about WoW I do love is how crazy it can get at times, and I don't even mean the wacky in-jokes and pop culture references turned into actual lore: the most recent raid tier has you teleport from the tomb of an ancient Titan's avatar to a loving spaceship where you fight a demon lord, and after defeating that demon lord you tear open a hole in the sky and from then on you see that demon lord's homeworld in the skybox everywhere you go forever.

And the next patch, we go to that world and gently caress poo poo up, and eventually get this totes adorbs mount:

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Hell let's run with this FFXIV soundtrack thing for a bit. Fair warning, if you plan to play the game yourself, don't click on the links in this post if like being surprised by music shenanigans as much as I do.

In most of the pre-Heavensward stuff, FFXIV's soundtrack is played relatively straight. It's high quality, but it's what you'd expect for a typical Final Fantasy adventure fantasy thing. King Moogle Mog's theme is out there, but the premise for the boss fight itself is also out there, so it wasn't too surprising. So when I got to the Shiva boss fight, for the first half of the fight ( 0:00 to 3:10 in the linked video) my thoughts were "this music is a bit dramatic but pretty much what I expected". Then (3:15) happened and I'd never been caught more off guard in my entire life. I'm not even sure if it's GOOD, especially relative to the rest of the soundtrack, but it came out of nowhere and I enjoyed the experience so they must have done something right.

After that point, genre swapping becames a more constant thing, and stuff like Alexander Prime's phase II theme, Lakshmi's theme, and whatever the heck Ravana's phase II theme is starts showing up regularly (Pretty much every track in the Alexander raid is A) great and B) nothing like any other song in the Alexander raid). At this point, one of the main reasons I play FFXIV is to see where the soundtrack will go next.

Screaming Idiot posted:

And the next patch, we go to that world and gently caress poo poo up, and eventually get this totes adorbs mount:

I love this guy. Those faces are all so loving stoked to be part of this horrible abomination! They've got a good attitude.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Its Mongolian throat singing.

Yeah FFXIV's ost is...eclectic (it's awesome).

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
That doesn't sound at all like throat singing.

e: throat singing deals with harmonic overtones, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCgIs4oqKIU

Olive! has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Jul 11, 2017

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I just wanna know what they were thinking when coming up with the Alexander soundtrack.

"Alexander is a giant castle robot angel. Let's brainstorm this."
"Okay, so, we're gonna put in some metal. Lots of industrial sounds, clanking and clattering and electric guitar, with a flanged voice singing goblin lyrics."
"All right, that sounds pretty appropriate-"
"And then we're gonna have a loving super sentai theme with a combining robot based on Bruticus from Transformers."
"Huh. Okay, that's pretty off-the-wall, but I see that working."
"And then we're gonna make some impressively chill cyber-trance with a robot screaming the chorus while you ride around on the transforming airship that is trying to kill you."
"...okay, sure, we'll go with that-"
"AND THEN ALEXANDER HIMSELF IS GOING TO HAVE DUBSTEP HIPHOP WITH LYRICS THAT SOUND LIKE A ROBOT IS HAVING A SEIZURE WHILE AN ALARM AUDIOFUCKS YOUR EARHOLES."
"Jesus, chill out! I know you're excited about this, but-"
"FOOOOOORWAAAAARD AAAAAND BAAAAAAAAACK!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

To be fair the themes get increasingly more bizzare as you get to the more abstract sections of the story where it gets into time travel and paradoxes.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

While we're on the topic of FFXIV, I really like that the game at least acknowledges that it's an mmo, even if in the narrative you are THE Warrior of Light. It's never really explained, but characters have started mentioning that you seem to have this cabal of elite adventurers that will show up no matter where you are in the world to help you kill gods.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Poops Mcgoots posted:

While we're on the topic of FFXIV, I really like that the game at least acknowledges that it's an mmo, even if in the narrative you are THE Warrior of Light. It's never really explained, but characters have started mentioning that you seem to have this cabal of elite adventurers that will show up no matter where you are in the world to help you kill gods.

Which is weird because plot-wise you defeat the ultima weapon just by going in there alone and wrecking shop with your bare hands or whatever while your useless group of friends are like "Welp, I'm sad they're dead."

FFXIV's story is weird. Didn't shiva gently caress a dragon?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The name Sephiroth is basically a poorly translated rendition of Sephirot though. It's a thing from Kabbalah.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's not till the expansions that they start making jokes at the fact that you're bringing friends along with you to these fights yeah.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Which is weird because plot-wise you defeat the ultima weapon just by going in there alone and wrecking shop with your bare hands or whatever while your useless group of friends are like "Welp, I'm sad they're dead."

I'm willing to give them a pass on Ultima Weapon just cause that was from 2.0 aka "We have 2 years to basically build an MMO from the ground up"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'm willing to give them a pass on Ultima Weapon just cause that was from 2.0 aka "We have 2 years to basically build an MMO from the ground up"

I wish they just kept it up, really. Because that little elf poo poo is the cause of basically every non-giant evil god problem you face and I was wishing real hard that he died. The idea of the story being about one cool, rad dude and his useless groupies would have been great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nuebot posted:

Shiva didn't confirmably gently caress a dragon, but she and a dragon were definitely in love, and said dragon definitely ate Shiva as a consensual act of love.

So... actually, that's way weirder than Shiva loving a dragon, I'm sorry.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Cleretic posted:

Shiva didn't confirmably gently caress a dragon, but she and a dragon were definitely in love, and said dragon definitely ate Shiva as a consensual act of love.

So... actually, that's way weirder than Shiva loving a dragon, I'm sorry.

Whoa I don't remember that did you mix up FFXIV with some vore fanfic or something.

Also is that weirder than the lady who shows up centuries later to tell him that she's ACTUALLY the reincarnation of his dead girlfriend and things got awkward.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Glagha posted:

Whoa I don't remember that did you mix up FFXIV with some vore fanfic or something.

Also is that weirder than the lady who shows up centuries later to tell him that she's ACTUALLY the reincarnation of his dead girlfriend and things got awkward.

I assure you that is in the game, it comes up several times. Shiva knew her lifespan was far shorter than her dragon boyfriend's, and so asked him to EAT HER so that their spirits would remain forever together.

I accepted that because that's a very 'ancient mythology' sequence of events, but there's no saying that it isn't weird as poo poo.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gosh, I'm shocked that one of the obsessive anti-anime weirdos misrepresented something.

im shocked soneone who spends all their time on sa doesnt get jokes

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Glagha posted:

Well, she SAYS she's a reincarnation of his dead girlfriend but she's actually deluded and is so convinced she's Shiva's reincarnation that she uses dangerous magic to transform herself into an extremely powerful version of what she and her comrades imagine Shiva to be (despite the fact that the original Shiva did not actually fight), so...

Actually yeah FFXIV's story does get crazy sometimes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Heavensward is when they were allowed to take the safety off and just go full anime and i love it for how insane it is.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh, FF14 chat?

When you're playing this crane game thing at the Gold Saucer as a lalafell, you get a little stepladder. :3:

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Just wanted to thank you guys for convincing me to play Tales of the Borderlands. One of my favorite parts of that game was the awesome little intros they would do for each chapter. The songs often fit the mood really well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nude posted:

Just wanted to thank you guys for convincing me to play Tales of the Borderlands. One of my favorite parts of that game was the awesome little intros they would do for each chapter. The songs often fit the mood really well.
Seriously, it was such a good game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nude posted:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Dishonored 2

The "Crack in the Slab" level. Game has been out for a while now but I'll put this in spoilers just in case. The basic idea of the level is that you're in a mansion owned by a man who's in a sort of magic-induced insanity as a result of an occult ritual performed there many years earlier. As a result time is all twisted, and the Outsider gives you a gizmo which allows you to instantly switch between the current time when the mansion is empty and dilapidated, and the past around the time the ritual occurred. The neat thing is how it actually works, since outside being able to switch back and forth with a mouse click, you can also make it bring up an array of crystals which act as a sort of window to the past.

This means you get to spend the whole level basically playing time assassin which your enemies are completely helpless to stop you. Bring up the window to the past while you're in the present day, find a guard wandering around, position yourself behind them, warp to the past, backstab them, warp back to the present, bring up the window again and watch as the other guards freak out about what just happened, repeat. It's completely unfair from a balance perspective I guess but the game is relatively easy anyway if you're doing a lethal run and drat it that level in particular a lot of fun.

Crack In The Slab might be the best level in any game ever.
So if you manage to knock Stilton unconscious and hide his body he won't be driven insane by meeting Delilah, and at the start of the next level he'll be on your boat, acting like he's been helping you this entire time. Great little moment.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Crack In The Slab might be the best level in any game ever.
So if you manage to knock Stilton unconscious and hide his body he won't be driven insane by meeting Delilah, and at the start of the next level he'll be on your boat, acting like he's been helping you this entire time. Great little moment.

On my second playthrough of the game and never knew this was a thing you could do. I figured there was probably some optional way of resolving things that I was missing since most levels seem to have one, though it usually involves destroying someone's life in favor of assassinating them. I'll have to keep that in mind if I go for a third playthrough.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tales of the Borderlands is a fantastic little game. You can tell when the original Borderlands writer gets involved though - characters start ranting about homophobia and misogyny in one scene, when it's never come up before. :v:

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The Secret World, again, does something similar. You're not the Chosen One, you're a Chosen One - the abstract god/concept/thing/whatever that's empowered you has actually empowered several thousand people to protect itself and, by extension, Earth.

There's even a couple of late game cutscenes where you see your mission handler dealing with newly empowered NPCs that are walking around in the same goofy clothes, wearing the same vacant :downs: expression.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nude posted:

It's the only Telltale game I've played, and I think I'll keep it that way because I just don't think the others could live up to it and I'm not a big fan of such adventure games in general. But TftB is just so fantastic. Like someone somewhere said, I was not expecting to get emotionally invested in a Borderlands game, but welp.

As for a nice little thing in that game, I liked how when the group found a big treasure, all the stuff lying on the ground had those beams sticking out of them coloured by loot rarity, just like in the original shooter games, eventhough it served no practical purpose in Tales. A neat little nod to its roots, imo.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Was "The Wolf Among Us" Telltale? Cause it was fantastic and worth playing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It was, yeah. I'd always recommend Wolf as well.

While it takes itself infinitely more seriously than Telltale, it has a lot of pay-off depending on the relationships you forge, and it's quite neat how many "versions" of Bigby slot into the storyline without feeling out of place - violent rear end in a top hat, good person trying to bury his past, scary and threatening but only as a cover, etc etc. The way everything ties into the climax of Episode 5 still makes me grin. :buddy:

A lot of the story deals with abused and exploited women which can really take the shine off if you dislike those topics in fiction. I wouldn't say they're handled terribly, but it's still very on the nose and can be uncomfortable for the wrong reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Wolf among us was really good,even my mum who's only ever played one game in her life enjoyed watching it.Walking dead was good and I enjoyed it but apparently this finale sucks and they've glossed over any choices you've made? :[

I played one episode of the Batman Telltale and it was dogshit,just like no effort put into any presentation which really is a no no for me.

Content : I was playing dishonoured and during the end of the game when a certain place you call home gets raided I snuck upto my room and saw a guard pissing on my bed,i have no idea whether it was intentional or just a weird idle quirk or what but that fucker is getting turned into a crossbow porcupine.

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Jul 11, 2017