Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/press/upcoming-events/

Official BOC ical feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

quote:

More than quarter of Canadian mortgage holders are 'in over their head' even before rate hike

More than a quarter of Canadians with a mortgage say they “are in over their head” with current payments, a new survey reveals.

The Ipsos poll taken for bankruptcy service MNP Ltd. found Canadians are worried about a potential housing bubble and impending interest rate hikes, adding financial stress to households already carrying a record level of debt.

The Bank of Canada is now widely expected to hike its key rate this Wednesday, with some economists forecasting a second hike before the year is out.

The poll found that 45 per cent of Canadians and 48 per cent of homeowners are concerned about the impact rising rates will have on their finances.

“Many are borrowing against their homes and using them to finance lifestyles they simply can’t afford,” said Grant Bazian, President at MNP LTD.

“What’s worse is that many are not making regular payments against the principal, and the threat of an increase in interest rates might make it even harder to make ends meet.”

Over 70 per cent of Canadians rate their ability to cope with a 1% interest rate increase as “less than optimal.” And the majority of Canadians (77 per cent) would have difficulty absorbing the additional $130 per month in interest payments on debt.

“Canadians should be bracing themselves for some major financial changes,” said Bazian.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Canadians should brace themselves for some major bailouts.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

leftist heap posted:

Canadians should brace themselves for some major bailouts.

Banks first, then boomers.

Everyone else is hosed.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Imagine the Liberals, Conservatives and NDP campaigning during a downturn or crash in the housing market, lmao. We may just see it in 2019. Youll never see pork like it ever again in your life.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
watch the BCNDP be the harbinger of this. one by one, david eby capitulates on all his housing tweets until we see him and bob rennie partying it up like a couple white guys

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh
I've always kind of assumed when things go real bad they will just bail everyone out by making mortgage interest tax deductible.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Can't wait for my bailout. It's gonna be sweet.

Thanks for the subsidy, suckers.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

maxidious posted:

I've always kind of assumed when things go real bad they will just bail everyone out by making mortgage interest tax deductible.

Unlimited RE capital gains exemption and deductible mortgage interest. Renters truely will be Dalits

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

EvilJoven posted:

Oh word? Sounds like you've given up Poor Person virtue signaling between this and your pilot chat

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
smdh 1/10 cuckposting

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

maxidious posted:

That will probably just be the start.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

namaste faggots posted:

Oh word? Sounds like you've given up Poor Person virtue signaling between this and your pilot chat

I don't think I've been poor person virtue signalling especially since I've been straight up saying that I'm above the median, at all I see it more as pointing out that most of the fuckfaces in this thread are ridiculously well off compared to normal folk and need to stop acting like the majority of people in this country can afford to give a poo poo about the things that you can.

And now I'm gonna get some sweet sweet bailout money.

Enjoy renting and also being in post housing crash Vancouver LMAO.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
so literally middle class virtue signaling

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought we established that 'middle class' by definition wasn't actually the middle at all, which is one of the reasons why 'middle class' is a completely poo poo term.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

EvilJoven posted:

I thought we established that 'middle class' by definition wasn't actually the middle at all, which is one of the reasons why 'middle class' is a completely poo poo term.

:thunk:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Middle class isn’t a a place, it’s a state of mind

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Middle class isn’t a a place, it’s a state of mind

That's what the zoloft is for

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's what the zoloft is for

PTSD is the condition, middle class is the cure

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
#depends

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who is or isn't middle class is actually determined by PM Selfie, thanks to the middle class tax cut.

So the middle class is anyone making between about 40 and 211K annually. Of course, seeing as the maximum benefit for the middle class tax cut is only achieved at incomes between $90K and 217K, that just means that some people are only somewhat middle class and some people are REALLY middle class.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Who is or isn't middle class is actually determined by PM Selfie, thanks to the middle class tax cut.

So the middle class is anyone making between about 40 and 211K annually. Of course, seeing as the maximum benefit for the middle class tax cut is only achieved at incomes between $90K and 217K, that just means that some people are only somewhat middle class and some people are REALLY middle class.

Is that individual income or family income?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

With your modest mortgage in your low CoL area I'm not exactly sure what you're hoping for. Watch it all go to homeowners in Toronto and Vancouver while your profligate neighbors drop the value of your house to zero.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Some Ontario CTF director shat out some garbage and CBC published it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/airbnb-regulations-1.4195580

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
and here you are posting it

Have you considered your part of the problem

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

I saw this in the enroute magazine just now. 1.9 million to live in Edmonton lmao

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

namaste faggots posted:

and here you are posting it

Have you considered your part of the problem

Stop drunkposting

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

I saw this in the enroute magazine just now. 1.9 million to live in Edmonton lmao

im the beanbag chair

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm the phrase "ultimate in Edmonton living"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You would think "a livable sophistication and sustainability" would entail not building glass turds in a river valley?

The copy feels like it wasn't written by a native English speaker.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mameluke posted:

You would think "a livable sophistication and sustainability" would entail not building glass turds in a river valley?

lol, how well written do you think most ad copy is?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Mameluke posted:

Ad copy is all generated by chain markov generators. There's more than enough poo poo out there to train them.

Doesn't matter what's in the ad copy anyways since the developers reserves the right to change everything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We need procedurally generated condo brochures, everything from the copy to the renders could all be procedurally generated and still make millions on presales.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mameluke posted:

It's registered to this guy so it was probably written by the (grandson of the) man himself:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-health-services-criticized-for-unlawful-suspension-of-surgeon-1.2971785

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/yvrhousing/status/884818344561360896

When the supply excess tanks prices, the good stuff will still be expensive while we're swimming in worthless micro condos.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Apparently 66% of people in BC live in a home they own. I'm suddenly not sure why I ever expected any government to fix the situation. It will "fix itself" the hard way and it's just a matter of who gets the bail outs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yet in Victoria it's about 60% renter.
Vancouver is about 50%
Toronto is about 50%
Canadian average is only 30%

Now I get why there's such a huge disconnect on housing policy and just "housing culture" or whatever between my self and everyone I know vs the rest of Canada.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Baronjutter posted:

Vancouver is about 50%
Toronto is about 50%

Now I get why there's such a huge disconnect on housing policy and just "housing culture" or whatever between my self and everyone I know vs the rest of Canada.

where is them figures from? they would give me much hope

It's entirely possible the BC-wide figure is only as high as it is because of people outside Greater Van/Vic but that is 35% so it seemed wishfull thinking to just assume they account for a large portion of the 66% figure, but maybe not?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

Vancouver is about 50%
Toronto is about 50%

There are stats like that about rental suites, too.
For houses in Metro Vancouver it's something like 70%, in any other major city it's more like 25%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Every day I see this and wince