Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

tetrapyloctomy posted:

But bear in mind you're talking to a guy whose wife commissioned an oil painting of our dog for the front hallway. Maybe you should not listen to me.

This is the kind of claim that demands photographic proof :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

They make TV mounts that have swing-arms that lower the TV to proper eye height when it's in use, for precisely this kind of fireplace setup.

I'm looking into those, thanks for the heads up.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Went through the interactive walkthrough (the floorplan won't load for some reason) -- you have plenty of places for a truly ginormo TV if you want to have a bunch of people over. The column in our den downstairs just baaaaarely has room for a 55" and it's really plenty for the sitting distance. If you try to make that area your prime TV-watching area people will just all be craning their necks to the side anyway. I'd honestly be tempted not to put a TV in there at all. Use some darker wood trim to make it appear a bit more formal, and put in some nicer bookshelves instead of the chunkier display shelves.

But bear in mind you're talking to a guy whose wife commissioned an oil painting of our dog for the front hallway. Maybe you should not listen to me.

It's going to be the main TV room because we don't have another room that makes any sense to be it instead (if you went through the 3D walkthrough, it has a 3rd story bonus room we didn't add to our house).. Plus if we have people over that's the area we're going to hang out in anyways (right next to the kitchen). I only need room for a 65", nothing insane...which I think I have, I was just concerned about the height, but if we can get a swivel mount to pull it down whenever we want to that would solve the issue most likely.

This is the kind of claim that demands photographic proof :allears:
Most definitely.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, after I posted I thought it rude and went to take some pictures. No frame yet, but our plan is to make it uncomfortably ornate for a picture of our dog.

My phone is awful and the lighting somewhat regrettable. The first is truest to life, color-wise. As always, please excuse the mess

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

HardDiskD posted:

Is the TV showing a picture of the kitchen? :allears:

What? You don't do this?

Saves so much time having to turn around.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, after I posted I thought it rude and went to take some pictures. No frame yet, but our plan is to make it uncomfortably ornate for a picture of our dog.

My phone is awful and the lighting somewhat regrettable. The first is truest to life, color-wise. As always, please excuse the mess

I love that so much more than I thought I would :3:

Frame it with something that would make a French king go "nah, too gaudy"

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Do you have a link to the artist? I'm asking for a friend.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Please tell me the dog actually sat for the portraiture session, wearing the pearls.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

Please tell me the dog actually sat for the portraiture session, wearing the pearls.

"These were my grandmother's, first off, and if I can't wear them for an occasion like this when can I wear them?"

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I love that so much more than I thought I would :3:

Frame it with something that would make a French king go "nah, too gaudy"

That's sort of the plan. I mean, gotta fill that visual space, right?

Drape Culture posted:

Do you have a link to the artist? I'm asking for a friend.
This is her, but I have to warn you, they are not cheap. My wife knew her from Way Back and it was a 40th birthday present. She didn't say how much it cost and I didn't ask.

Subjunctive posted:

Sadly Maggie is based on California, so it was a painting from a photo. (But yes, the dog was wearing the pearls in the photo.)

Now is as good a time as ever, I suppose: I need to fill some space in my dining room. There's a space in front of a set of windows that basically begs for something to fill it, but I'm not sure where to go. My phone insisted on only the blurriest of pictures, but here's the space in question:

For reference, here's the other side of the room (yeah, I know, there's poo poo piled up on the table and the side window, I was doing some tidying elsewhere and I have to make folders to file all that paperwork):

The window sills are, of course, just under thirty inches at 29.5" -- this is more of a limiting factor than one might suspect. I was looking at some short sofa tables (28" to 29" tall, in the 1.5' x 4.5' footprint range) but was also thinking that something like a longer low media console might work there and provide a bit more storage as well. But having nothing there throws off the balance of the room.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This is her, but I have to warn you, they are not cheap. My wife knew her from Way Back and it was a 40th birthday present. She didn't say how much it cost and I didn't ask.

I don't think we can put a price on humor.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thank you for the link to Maggie!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Thank you for the link to Maggie!

You're very welcome! I love the hell out of the painting, and was considering buying some of her prints or paintings. Probably not the $200 painting of a nipple, however.

Drape Culture posted:

I don't think we can put a price on humor.
But we sure can push that boundary!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You're very welcome! I love the hell out of the painting, and was considering buying some of her prints or paintings. Probably not the $200 painting of a nipple, however.

Buy it, then put a safety pin through the canvas.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Awesome dog pic. Also, I like the decor in your house.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I think I found the mantel mount I want to use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS1MHET/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3QSMFJ0BEXU20&colid=3JD2LYX5K9FJ

Looks like I can get brackets to mount a soundbar under it too so that's great.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's pretty darn expensive. I have this one mounted into 2" thick wood screwed in between the steel studs in the basement, and you could do pullups off of it. Get some rugged structural screws to mount it into the studs and you could lift your wall with your television.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Awesome dog pic. Also, I like the decor in your house.

Thanks! But trust me, you don't. I am serious when I say that the place is decorated pretty much like we just moved in. That bench? We have it because my grandfather made it and it was sitting in my parents' basement. If I actually had to, y'know, put any energy into looking around for that and buying it, that would probably be a blank space save for a thin coating of cat hair. I'm not sure what's worse: the hanging screws in the walls with nothing on them, or the white spackle patches marking the ones I bothered to remove.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 10, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have my TV mounted higher up on the wall because of tall chair molding in my living room:
https://www.amazon.com/Pull-down-TV-mount-fireplace/dp/B01IITPJT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499717992&sr=8-3&keywords=tv+mount+fireplace

Everything's solid just now that we have it, it seems less awkward to just watch the tv flat against the wall versus the TV floating in space and I kind of regret not just getting a flush mount that angles down.

And used something like this to mount my center channel speaker to the bottom:
https://www.amazon.com/Pull-down-TV-mount-fireplace/dp/B01IITPJT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499717992&sr=8-3&keywords=tv+mount+fireplace

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

I have my TV mounted higher up on the wall because of tall chair molding in my living room:

Everything's solid just now that we have it, it seems less awkward to just watch the tv flat against the wall versus the TV floating in space and I kind of regret not just getting a flush mount that angles down.

Oh, man, talk about sad interior design.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Oh, man, talk about sad interior design.

That mantel doesn't look centred. *twitch*

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's pretty darn expensive. I have this one mounted into 2" thick wood screwed in between the steel studs in the basement, and you could do pullups off of it. Get some rugged structural screws to mount it into the studs and you could lift your wall with your television.
Yeah, but that one doesn't lower down like the other.

The Dave posted:

This does though, I'll save it to a list too and revisit closer to the time I need to purchase. I can see how it might feel awkward having it floating in the air if you don't have anything under it (be it a fireplace or some sort of cabinet in your case). My plan before was just to get a tilt mount and hope for the best.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Push the couch against the wall under the windows and put the tv over the fireplace or on the wall of the staircase.
It's a 2017 reality that we need to plan for tv in a living room.

As I post this I'm regretting not putting an outlet in a corner of our living room that looks ideal for a Christmas tree.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

peanut posted:

Push the couch against the wall under the windows and put the tv over the fireplace or on the wall of the staircase.
It's a 2017 reality that we need to plan for tv in a living room.

As I post this I'm regretting not putting an outlet in a corner of our living room that looks ideal for a Christmas tree.

Yeah, the 2017 living room is TV focused, just how it is. I thought about putting the TV on that wall but then you're either 19' away from the TV or you oddly cut the room in half.

I think I'll end up with it above the fireplace on one of those arms that comes down. The builder will run wiring from up there down to one of the nooks so I won't have wires out being ugly or anything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

Somehow I think neighbors being annoyed at your gentrifying isn't all that related to a drunk running his car into your house one night. Also how do you not notice the bar across the street when you're house hunting?

They mention several issues in a row, but I think I see something.

"While the Downses encountered some problems with their home after moving in, the neighborhood had issues they did not expect: late-night noise from nearby bars, suspicious activity and push-back, some of it anti-“Fixer Upper,” from local residents when they complained to police."

They were complaining to the police about noise and 'suspicious activity'. Doesn't say what sort of suspicious activity, but usually that is people hanging around where you don't think they should be hanging around -- and since they were new to the neighbourhood they could have been reporting people who live in the neighbourhood for hanging out in the neighbourhood, lol. Bar noise is going to spike every weekend.

If they were calling the police on their neighbours on a weekly basis, no poo poo people don't like them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just put a tv in both nooks :rolleyes:

This is the pro choice. Somebody walks in front of the screen? No worries, just turn your head and look at the other screen.

You can also do next level picture-in-picture. While everyone is watching the movie, you can have the game on silently on the other screen so fans can keep an eye on it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

You can also do next level picture-in-picture. While everyone is watching the movie, you can have the game on silently on the other screen so fans can keep an eye on it.

I think you're doing it wrong: if you have two TVs, you have the movie on one TV with the volume up and the game silently on PiP on that TV, while on the other TV, you have the game on with the volume up and the movie silently on PiP.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Clearly you have two giant TVs at opposite ends of your giant open plan great room, with the volume turned up to max, one playing the movie and the other playing the big game.

I have been in a house where this was actually done.

It was unpleasant.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

I think you're doing it wrong: if you have two TVs, you have the movie on one TV with the volume up and the game silently on PiP on that TV, while on the other TV, you have the game on with the volume up and the movie silently on PiP.

:aaa: You, sir, are a genius.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We (use a recorder) and argue (slightly) over tv channel priority like it's 1999. The kids are always confused that a live game gets preference over Doc McStuffins reruns.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This thread over the last few days has just highlighted just how much I don't want the TV I watch for a few hours every two weeks visible in my room. I'm going to this strange charity shop (thrift store) which has a lot of very very odd 1950s/1960s time capsule furniture tomorrow and we will see if they have anything.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ouhei posted:

As much as I'd like to avoid putting the TV above the fireplace, based on the room layout I feel like it might be our best option,

Don't design a house with a fireplace as the main component of a room when your main use of the room is watching TV.

I hope you figure something else out, and yea, it's going to be awkward.

edit: are you ever going to actually use the fireplace?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 11, 2017

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Don't design a house with a fireplace as the main component of a room when your main use of the room is watching TV.

I hope you figure something else out, and yea, it's going to be awkward.

edit: are you ever going to actually use the fireplace?

I didn't design the house, it just happens to be the family room layout for the floor plan that we liked the most out of all of the ones we looked at. They had an option to move the fireplace to the corner by the windows, but it cost some dumb amount of money, you lost a window and the whole room felt a bit more awkward so we figured we'll just figure out a solution with the TV placement. If above the fireplace is the best location then it is what it is, we'll get one of those pull out mounts for when we're doing some serious binging.

I have no idea how often we'll use the fireplace since we don't have one in our condo now, but we both had them in our houses growing up and wanted to have one in our next house, so we do plan on using it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Comment was more about the builders, not towards you.

My parents had a house built in the 80's, as part of a larger development. Every colonial had a floor plan where the fireplace was basically the 'focus' of the living room. Every house of that model built, everyone had their TV in the same spot (because it was the only place to put it) which was in a corner to the side of the fireplace, and it forced the sitting layout to be identical in every house as well.

Now, as far as the fireplace goes, only one house I know of in that development used it 'regularly', and that was maybe once a year. No one else ever used their fireplaces.

Fireplaces haven't been the focus of living rooms for a long time, and a lot of homes built during the baby boom didn't even have them included. Personally, I think fireplaces are a waste and doubly so if they 'ruin' the use of the room for anything else.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have two(!) fireplaces in my living room from the 1750s, because, well, heat.

However they are both on side walls and don't interfere with our layout/tv at all. We even use the one all the time!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

My area disallows using wood fireplaces certain times of the year because the particulate matter they produce gets trapped and recirculated due to the terrain

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My house sounds to be the exact same layout as doctor butt's parent's house, but the fire is used from October to April because I live in the north of England and it gets what we like to call "bastard cold" :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not 100% familiar with house building in the US but it sounds like you sometimes just buy into a big mass-produced development pre-build and choose some general options from some pre-selected plans? I imagine you can also pick some colour and trim and cabinet options?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not 100% familiar with house building in the US but it sounds like you sometimes just buy into a big mass-produced development pre-build and choose some general options from some pre-selected plans? I imagine you can also pick some colour and trim and cabinet options?

Yeah pretty much. There's like a catalogue of standard house designs with options you can swap out (like the bonus room mentioned) or pay extra to upgrade fixtures. It doesn't appeal to me personally but in some parts of the country it's nearly the only way to buy a house.

The marketing for it gets weird. I used to know this reeeally suburban girl who wanted to buy into a new development because she had been persuaded by their advertising to feel disgust at the idea of buying a "used house." :negative:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just order a five pack of bungalows from Amazon Subprime and throw them away when you're done.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Ew, someone might have even had sex in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mm I hope so