Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

probability that right now someone is sitting in a warehouse crying into 1070 boxes while they consider how to explain to their wife why their life savings have disappeared: 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I've managed to maintain my payout per day by adding 50% hashrate :razz:

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Lol I got in on this being seriously worth doing for a whole solid week (my predicted payout went from $150 a month to $70 a month - 1 x 1080Ti, 1x 1050Ti 24/7)

When the 1080Ti goes below $3 a day I'm pulling the plug

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Clamps McGraw posted:

Lol I got in on this being seriously worth doing for a whole solid week (my predicted payout went from $150 a month to $70 a month - 1 x 1080Ti, 1x 1050Ti 24/7)

When the 1080Ti goes below $3 a day I'm pulling the plug

Mining is literally worse now than putting up random blogs with Adsense in the early 2000's

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Mining is literally worse now than putting up random blogs with Adsense in the early 2000's

Dude I had a whole raft of black hat scraper sites in an underexploited niche in about 2007 that made me about $1k a month or so for nearly six months (until they all got deindexed and the tactic I used didn't work any more)

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'm nearing so close to pulling the plug on my 1080Ti and just use it for games and productive work*, my 1060 is only good for PhysX so I'll just keep milking that until it's dead.

* I swear I am doing productive stuff on it. Don't look at me like that.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 11, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Bahahahahahah holy poo poo, "Ethereum is under social attack."

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/6mllib/ethereum_is_under_social_attack/?st=J4ZTX3LV&sh=8e7be02a

The only defense is to join my NEW Facebook group and post about how great Etherium is!!

Goddamn, nerds are amazing.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
How long until the flood of cheap cards? Want to get mine on ebay before the plummet

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
It's happening.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/sop/6214655530.html

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Uhh what is? 9,500 dollars for something you can probably build
Yourself for 2?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The miners are starting to unload.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Rofl, even at $500 a card there's no way those are worth almost $10,000 for the shelf.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i checked around, no one is "unloading" especially not anywhere near MSRP. Can we give that guy a a scammer tag like in all the bitcoin forums?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Keep in mind guys a huge glaring factor last time with the 290 purge in that during the mining craze it went from a $600 card that was worth $600 against the competition (780ti, although not really, but still) to barely being competitive with a $300 card (970's hit $300 when it all went to hell). I do believe the main reason was huge supply of course but I wouldn't hold your breath trying to pick up 1080's for $200 next month.

The pricing should be good to pretty great if it goes down but people are still going to be willing to pay a closer to retail new prices than not, which in reality was all that happened last time too if you adjust for price/performance at the time.

The perfect storm would be, say, a surprise volta launch at the same time but I dont see that one happening anymore

AMD cards will probably be pretty awesome prices because MSRP was already very low to start with

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

It's simply the signal of the beginning. Based on the profitability drop, it's inevitable. Can you give yourself a dumbshit tag to go with your anime waifu garbage?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

willroc7 posted:

It's simply the signal of the beginning. Based on the profitability drop, it's inevitable. Can you give yourself a dumbshit tag to go with your anime waifu garbage?

i guess the signal of the beginning happened 2 months ago when they were selling the same rigs all over craiglist you dirty mexican who thinks overwatch is anime.

Im saying you dont know what you are talking about and living in a shithole like cleveland is skewing your perceptions.

See I can make wild assumptions based on little evidence too.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

Keep in mind guys a huge glaring factor last time with the 290 purge in that during the mining craze it went from a $600 card that was worth $600 against the competition (780ti, although not really, but still) to barely being competitive with a $300 card (970's hit $300 when it all went to hell). I do believe the main reason was huge supply of course but I wouldn't hold your breath trying to pick up 1080's for $200 next month.

The pricing should be good to pretty great if it goes down but people are still going to be willing to pay a closer to retail new prices than not, which in reality was all that happened last time too if you adjust for price/performance at the time.

The perfect storm would be, say, a surprise volta launch at the same time but I dont see that one happening anymore

AMD cards will probably be pretty awesome prices because MSRP was already very low to start with

1070s were dropping below $300 at times before they got bought out a month or so ago. 1080s were flirting with $400.

I'd say 1070s are going to end up at $200-225. Since miners didn't buy up 1080s prices aren't going to tank as immediately/drastically, but they are still in the same market. And the 1080 in particular still isn't quite enough for 4K, it's a 1440p card still, so it's very subject to substitution by 1070s if the price is too high. I would bet we see $300-350 for 1080s after all of this hits the market.

A huge amount of those mining cards are 470/570 and 480/580 so those are going to be the prices that tank hardest. I wouldn't be surprised to see 480 4 GB models hit $100 and 8 GB models under $150. That's basically where they were before the mining bubble, but I think there's pretty good demand for them from gamers at the $100/150 price points.

I would be very curious to watch a graph of new units sold over the past 2 years and over the next 6-12 months.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

willroc7 posted:

This ad reads more to me like he's trying to cash in on the mining craze, not unloading

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paul MaudDib posted:

1070s were dropping below $300 at times before they got bought out a month or so ago. 1080s were flirting with $400.

I'd say 1070s are going to end up at $200-225. Since miners didn't buy up 1080s prices aren't going to tank as immediately/drastically, but they are still in the same market. And the 1080 in particular still isn't quite enough for 4K, it's a 1440p card still, so it's very subject to substitution by 1070s if the price is too high. I would bet we see $300-350 for 1080s after all of this hits the market.

A huge amount of those mining cards are 470/570 and 480/580 so those are going to be the prices that tank hardest. I wouldn't be surprised to see 480 4 GB models hit $100 and 8 GB models under $150. That's basically where they were before the mining bubble, but I think there's pretty good demand for them from gamers at the $100/150 price points.

I would be very curious to watch a graph of new units sold over the past 2 years and over the next 6-12 months.

yeah the 100+ GPU shed mines like the one posted earlier are all 470-580 and no 1060s. I think 1060s are mostly the mid-late comers building smaller 6-12 gpu rigs. Well except for that master businessman who rented out that warehouse in NY. Anyone check in on him to see if hes alive still?

It should go without saying, do not buy any thing r9 390 and earlier. I will personally be only be looking at current gen cards with the most intact warranties. Asus and gigabyte are safe bets as their warranties are attached to the card not the buyer. Several other companies are this way but make sure before buying.

Do a proper burn in test on the card as soon as you get it to make sure its stable

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 11, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Things like those $9.5k mining setups have been on Craigslist for a while now. It is just people who are perfectly happy to hand their shovel to any fool willing to pay that much.

1060 cards seem to be going for $310 on my local Craigslist and 1070s for $430-500.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Canada's craigslist is booming with listings http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/rx580/k0l9004

rough exchange is $500 CAD is $400 USD

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

That's the first I've seen in my area. Doesn't seem like the time to be cashing in.

edit: By the way I'm aware overwatch is a lovely blizzard shooter, the darling of 12 year olds the world over. But you're right, nothing anime about your avatar at all!

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 11, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky Bisquick posted:

Canada's craigslist is booming with listings http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/rx580/k0l9004

no deals in my area of course but a lot more activity. It only takes one whale to unload a pallet of GPUs to "help" everyone else lower their prices.

willroc7 posted:

That's the first I've seen in my area. Doesn't seem like the time to be cashing in.

you think bitcoiners think like that? For them now is the time to double down to preserve their hashrate.
You should be watching areas that are actually hot for bitcoining like the coasts and vancouver

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

See.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

your single ad is indicative of nothing and now you are cherry picking data to support it. Get a bigger sample size before stating opinion as fact

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

is this an overwatch thread now

im lovin widow since getting a gsync monitor, but I got wasted and posted that in the games forum and got probated because I said rape 90 times

http://i.imgur.com/N8JAZeV.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/Hhfmizp.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/cCHDI9r.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/ulyCtwU.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/Op1dcWd.mp4

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 11, 2017

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Sure smells like anime.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish I could play widow, but even with a gsync and 144hz I cant hit poo poo. I dont have any issues with other hitscans like mccree. I think im psyching myself out and just need to relax

willroc7 posted:

Sure smells like anime.

Blizzard is a well known japanese company owned by japanese zaibatsu Activision

eames
May 9, 2009

Ah there's your problem: Gsync causes ~3 ms input delay, turn it off and your rating should skyrocket.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I'll attempt to get this back on topic.

I've been mining directly to coinbase with nicehash, which I know requires the 0.01BTC minimum payout, but I'm now stuck at around 60% of the way to a minimum payout with profitability dropping off a cliff. Is that ~6mBTC going to just sit in limbo forever unless I mine it up to 10? Any way around that?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm making less than half of what I used to but it's still like 10x the costs of electricity so I don't see the mass selloffs starting just yet.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eames posted:

Ah there's your problem: Gsync causes ~3 ms input delay, turn it off and your rating should skyrocket.

does it really because thats hosed. My fps is high enough gsync should never activate anyways

willroc7 posted:

I've been mining directly to coinbase with nicehash, which I know requires the 0.01BTC minimum payout, but I'm now stuck at around 60% of the way to a minimum payout with profitability dropping off a cliff. Is that ~6mBTC going to just sit in limbo forever unless I mine it up to 10? Any way around that?

buy more GPUs to get your gayout above the threshold. That ad you posted would be perfect.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Cut your losses and move on.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

willroc7 posted:

No you are screwed, that is the minimum payout. However going from 6 to 10 mbtc isnt going to take a long time even at half today's rate so just mine. Just make sure to stop at 10 mbtc if youre cashing out

Fauxtool posted:

does it really because thats hosed. My fps is high enough gsync should never activate anyways

buy more GPUs to get your gayout above the threshold. That ad you posted would be perfect.

I dunno if it does, but it sure beats cut frames (not the ones you can see either) any day of the week and its nothing like the laughable input lag from vsync so I'm perfectly happy even if it did inject 3ms

eames
May 9, 2009

yes gsync does add latency vs uncapped framerates

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/

that's why ~FPS professionals~ play without *sync but realistically nobody is going to notice the difference

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Meanwhile for those of us driving reasonable framerates the smoothing out of latency between frames is super nice.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

seems like an apples to oranges comparison when one option isn't even showing whole frames. overwriting a frame mid-transmission is obviously faster than waiting for it to finish being displayed.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Spatial posted:

seems like an apples to oranges comparison when one option isn't even showing whole frames. overwriting a frame mid-transmission is obviously faster than waiting for it to finish being displayed.

Yes the difference is remarkable, and I had high hopes to start with (and I've played on tons of demos even beforehand) and was still blown away. I used to make frame time graphs that plot every frame to diagnose differences I'd see between cards despite fps saying "90" or whatever and without sync its such a mess, its just so fast you only really see true tearing but you definitely subconsciously can tell when poo poo is stuttering

I mean at a million fps and if I were actually good enough to use every frame I understand turning it off but I cant and *sync is just so pleasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

• Locked thread