Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
This year has been an emotional rollercoaster and I'm not sure I'm ready for the next descent

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/884816540473995264

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/884817469545861120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

I hope he does, and then Junior either refuses or we find out he's already deleted all the emails or something like that.

The irony would be just too great.

Hey fun fact, Donnie's already wiped email servers related to his businesses for at least one court case he was being sued in.

But, ya know, Crooked Hillary.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*in war hero voice* I'm very concerned in light of current events.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I guess the total idiot gene skipped Ivanka.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Haha poo poo so this isn't just hopeful poo poo it is actually real

Wow

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

KildarX posted:

Current right wing talking point on AM radio today was, "Putin would have absolutely loved Hilary in charge, why would he possibly help trump?! Makes no sense, trumps an unknown quantity while Hillary would have just been more of Obama which would be SCRAPING to Putin."

The gently caress are sanctions anyway?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I'm just glad that Trump ended our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/884842004672376832

lmao

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Press briefing pretty good today.

Also Don Jr on Hannity tonight

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

The gently caress are sanctions anyway?

Legally enforced boycott and persona non grata. These people and organizations cannot visit, do business, or associate with any US citizen or organization. What's the good of being a corrupt strongman when the empire that controls all the luxury goods and services freezes you and your cronies out?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

TBeats posted:

Fox News anchor just said this exact thing, and maybe someone can check the accuracy of the claim: "Collusion is not a crime so be that it is not being held in exchange for favors, especially during a political election."

Collusion is not a crime in this context, though it can be in an antitrust context. Regarding 2016's presidential campaign issues, 'collusion' is being used colloquially, not legally.

Collusion is a less culturally and less legally loaded term than conspiracy, which I guess is why its being used.

The solicitation angle comes from Title 52, section 30121 of the U.S. Code which has to do with Contributions and donations by foreign nationals. For trump purposes, there are two different crimes here:

quote:

It shall be unlawful for—
a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—
(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election; or
(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or
(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title);
and

quote:

It shall be unlawful for—
a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) [of the above quote] from a foreign national.

Title 11, section 110.20 of the Combined Federal Register (Federal regulations) lays out what definitions are to be used in this context - in this case, at 11 CFR 300.2.

quote:

To solicit. For the purposes of part 300, to solicit means to ask, request, or recommend, explicitly or implicitly, that another person make a contribution, donation, transfer of funds, or otherwise provide anything of value. A solicitation is an oral or written communication that, construed as reasonably understood in the context in which it is made, contains a clear message asking, requesting, or recommending that another person make a contribution, donation, transfer of funds, or otherwise provide anything of value. A solicitation may be made directly or indirectly. The context includes the conduct of persons involved in the communication. A solicitation does not include mere statements of political support or mere guidance as to the applicability of a particular law or regulation.
It goes on to give some guidance and examples:

quote:

(1) The following types of communications constitute solicitations:
(i) A communication that provides a method of making a contribution or donation, regardless of the communication. This includes, but is not limited to, providing a separate card, envelope, or reply device that contains an address to which funds may be sent and allows contributors or donors to indicate the dollar amount of their contribution or donation to the candidate, political committee, or other organization.
(ii) A communication that provides instructions on how or where to send contributions or donations, including providing a phone number specifically dedicated to facilitating the making of contributions or donations. However, a communication does not, in and of itself, satisfy the definition of “to solicit” merely because it includes a mailing address or phone number that is not specifically dedicated to facilitating the making of contributions or donations.
(iii) A communication that identifies a Web address where the Web page displayed is specifically dedicated to facilitating the making of a contribution or donation, or automatically redirects the Internet user to such a page, or exclusively displays a link to such a page. However, a communication does not, in and of itself, satisfy the definition of “to solicit” merely because it includes the address of a Web page that is not specifically dedicated to facilitating the making of a contribution or donation.

(2) The following statements constitute solicitations:
(i) “Please give $100,000 to Group X.”
(ii) “It is important for our State party to receive at least $100,000 from each of you in this election.”
(iii) “Group X has always helped me financially in my elections. Keep them in mind this fall.”
(iv) “X is an effective State party organization; it needs to obtain as many $100,000 donations as possible.”
(v) “Giving $100,000 to Group X would be a very smart idea.”
(vi) “Send all contributions to the following address * * *.”
(vii) “I am not permitted to ask for contributions, but unsolicited contributions will be accepted at the following address * * *.”
(viii) “Group X is having a fundraiser this week; you should go.”
(ix) “You have reached the limit of what you may contribute directly to my campaign, but you can further help my campaign by assisting the State party.”
(x) A candidate hands a potential donor a list of people who have contributed to a group and the amounts of their contributions. The candidate says, “I see you are not on the list.”
(xi) “I will not forget those who contribute at this crucial stage.”
(xii) “The candidate will be very pleased if we can count on you for $10,000.”
(xiii) “Your contribution to this campaign would mean a great deal to the entire party and to me personally.”
(xiv) Candidate says to potential donor: “The money you will help us raise will allow us to communicate our message to the voters through Labor Day.”
(xv) “I appreciate all you've done in the past for our party in this State. Looking ahead, we face some tough elections. I'd be very happy if you could maintain the same level of financial support for our State party this year.”
(xvi) The head of Group X solicits a contribution from a potential donor in the presence of a candidate. The donor asks the candidate if the contribution to Group X would be a good idea and would help the candidate's campaign. The candidate nods affirmatively.

(3) The following statements do not constitute solicitations:
(i) During a policy speech, the candidate says: “Thank you for your support of the Democratic Party.”
(ii) At a ticket-wide rally, the candidate says: “Thank you for your support of my campaign.”
(iii) At a Labor Day rally, the candidate says: “Thank you for your past financial support of the Republican Party.”
(iv) At a GOTV rally, the candidate says: “Thank you for your continuing support.”
(v) At a ticket-wide rally, the candidate says: “It is critical that we support the entire Democratic ticket in November.”
(vi) A Federal officeholder says: “Our Senator has done a great job for us this year. The policies she has vigorously promoted in the Senate have really helped the economy of the State.”
(vii) A candidate says: “Thanks to your contributions we have been able to support our President, Senator and Representative during the past election cycle.”

So, back to 52 USC 30121.
1) No foreign national gave or promised to give Clinton opposition research to Trump or anyone connected to the campaign. Opposition research could be a thing of value that could constitute a donation.

2) No Trump person solicited the opposition research - Goldstone solicited Trump Jr. I don't think Jr. agreeing to a meeting set up by Goldstone can transfer Goldstone's solicitation of Jr. to a solicitation by Jr, but I haven't researched it.

e: for the masochists, further comments on the definition of solicit as used in the contributions and donations by foreign nationals statute. Start at page 69942. Short answer: solicit was meant to be narrowly construed as a specific asking, and not broadly construed as a suggestion. What was envisioned was "a palpable communication intended to, and reasonably understood to, convey a request for some [donation]."

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 11, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ceiling fan posted:

Legally enforced boycott and persona non grata. These people and organizations cannot visit, do business, or associate with any US citizen or organization. What's the good of being a corrupt strongman when the empire that controls all the luxury goods and services freezes you and your cronies out?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Lal

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm the autistic weirdo in that gif

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I'm just boggled by Junior thinking he had anything to gain by just tossing the emails out like that

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

I'm just boggled by Junior thinking he had anything to gain by just tossing the emails out like that

He's a Trump so it's probably distracting from his raping the Russian lawyer or the like.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

joat mon posted:

Collusion is not a crime in this context, though it can be in an antitrust context. Regarding 2016's presidential campaign issues, 'collusion' is being used colloquially, not legally.

Collusion is a less culturally and less legally loaded term than conspiracy, which I guess is why its being used.

The solicitation angle comes from Title 52, section 30121 of the U.S. Code which has to do with Contributions and donations by foreign nationals. For trump purposes, there are two different crimes here:

and

Title 11, section 110.20 of the Combined Federal Register (Federal regulations) lays out what definitions are to be used in this context - in this case, at 11 CFR 300.2.

It goes on to give some guidance and examples:

So, back to 52 USC 30121.
1) No foreign national gave or promised to give Clinton opposition research to Trump or anyone connected to the campaign. Opposition research could be a thing of value that could constitute a donation.

2) No Trump person solicited the opposition research - Goldstone solicited Trump Jr. I don't think Jr. agreeing to a meeting set up by Goldstone can transfer Goldstone's solicitation of Jr. to a solicitation by Jr, but I haven't researched it.

Thanks for this. There's a lot more more nuance to it than I thought.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

:lol:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i'm the autistic weirdo in that gif

The script writer?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
aaaaaahahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/884853347815235584

HE THINKS HE'S HELPING

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/884856520055418880

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/884857260995903488

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

reading the thread on the Assange tweet he wanted the email to basically be leaked anonymously, I guess through wikileaks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Podesta tweeted back at Assange,
https://twitter.com/john_podesta/status/884854018824175620

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I remember the times when political people all used the same standard talking points and all that actually changed was the name barking the words. Occasionally, people would even wince when they'd have to say bullshit. Now, it's a free-for-all chucking poo poo against a wall for my amusement.

But this one's the best.

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/884858126339645441

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:wow:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You ever wonder how much of their day various people running our political system spend reading and writing tweets nowadays?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

aphid_licker posted:

You ever wonder how much of their day various people running our political system spend reading and writing tweets nowadays?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think Richard Painter actually does a good job of boiling all of this down:

quote:

“Let’s cut through the baloney here. We know what the Russians have been doing,” Painter said during a later appearance on the network. “When the Russians call or someone calls on behalf of the Russians and offers derogatory information about a former secretary of state who is a presidential candidate, the first person you call is the FBI.”

“I don’t care if you’re Republican, as I am, or a Democrat. You call the FBI. The last thing you do is go meet with the Russians to try and get the derogatory information," he went on. "They’re only trying do that in order to use you to accomplish some purpose. And we know what that is — it is undermining our system of representative democracy.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/11/donald-trump-jr-treason-buzzword-240406

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Wrong. This is clearly republican vs democrat. The Russians know the GOP has the best interest of democracy in mind.

--some maga dude

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/884867119434747904

hell ya finally some justice MAGA

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Even Fox News is having a difficult time defending it.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/11/trump-jr-burns-gop-defenders.html

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.
Speaking of the old thread favourite, SS-18 Satan

https://twitter.com/thedelphivision/status/884858702704123904

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whoever rapes Roger Stone in prison is going to have a really stupid tattoo to look at while doing it.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

facialimpediment posted:

I remember the times when political people all used the same standard talking points and all that actually changed was the name barking the words. Occasionally, people would even wince when they'd have to say bullshit. Now, it's a free-for-all chucking poo poo against a wall for my amusement.

But this one's the best.

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/884858126339645441

Hey Alex.. How are your kids doing?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That....may not be the brilliant maneuver he thinks it is.

Like, I get that hyperpartisanship is the name of the game. Even so, if this poo poo show turns into a judicial free for all of just arresting political opponents based on what the guy in charge today says I have to think there's enough people with survival instincts that can look to tomorrow and think, 'better not, that could be me'.

Not nearly as many as a functioning, stable society should have, but enough. Because if not and we start down THAT rabbit hole then the last six months are going to be the calm period in history.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Chances of a government shutdown on October 1st just went up dramatically as House Republicans are tossing some wall funding into the next appropriations bill.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/884878855466614785

BBC getting high as a kite on the news https://twitter.com/JessicaLennard/status/884818465021988867

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 11, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

psydude posted:

I think Richard Painter actually does a good job of boiling all of this down:

quote:

“I don’t care if you’re Republican, as I am, or a Democrat. You call the FBI. The last thing you do is go meet with the Russians to try and get the derogatory information," he went on. "They’re only trying do that in order to use you to accomplish some purpose. And we know what that is — it is undermining our system of representative democracy.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/11/donald-trump-jr-treason-buzzword-240406

drat straight.

BTW, that's Richard Painter, GWB's Ethics Lawyer. :irony: (maybe not in 2017)

quote:

In the Bush administration we could have had him in custody for questioning by now.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

bird food bathtub posted:

That....may not be the brilliant maneuver he thinks it is.

Like, I get that hyperpartisanship is the name of the game. Even so, if this poo poo show turns into a judicial free for all of just arresting political opponents based on what the guy in charge today says I have to think there's enough people with survival instincts that can look to tomorrow and think, 'better not, that could be me'.

Not nearly as many as a functioning, stable society should have, but enough. Because if not and we start down THAT rabbit hole then the last six months are going to be the calm period in history.

Basically.

The reason you don't is because if you are ever ousted from power, you are going to be swinging from the end of a rope. If for no other reason than breaking the long standing agreement that you don't jail the prior administration. Its why you didn't see a bunch of Cheney and Rummie's people in stripes after Obama got elected. When the investigations and trials start under a prior administration, you leave the courts to do the work and stay out of it. If all the nasty poo poo comes out after, then you leave it to Congressional committees to recommend charges and then go after them.

Mitch and Paul aren't retarded. They supply the fart that the rest of the elected GOP has been huffing and they know the boundaries. If Trump starts arresting prior administration to incite hyper partisanship, they will shut him down. Also, good luck finding anyone currently in the DOJ outside of Sessions willing to actually try and put handcuffs on Clapper. Pretty sure if the Keebler Klansman tried, Clapper would tear Sessions's intestines out with his bare hands. Rodger Stone is an idiot and probably going to jail for several decades. His ranting isn't going to convince the real power in Washington to do a drat thing.

No one wants to be the one to open that Pandora's Box because the monster inside doesn't care about sides, it just kills everything and everyone.

facialimpediment posted:

Chances of a government shutdown on October 1st just went up dramatically as House Republicans are tossing some wall funding into the next appropriations bill.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/884878855466614785

Its like 3 dudes in the House and the rest of the Reds rolling their eyes saying "Yea, yea yea.. Ok here." because they know the Senate is just going to remove it. They are going to run a carry over budget with minor adjustments, raise the debt ceiling and Trump will sign off on it because "Who knew budgets were so complicated and we are going to rewrite things over the next year because obstructionist democrats.".

Edit:

In non Trump news....

The Chinese have figured out teleportation?? Maybe??

This seems kinda like a big deal. But maybe not.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 11, 2017

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Zeris posted:

The script writer?

Pretty sure he meant Wil Wheaton.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

n the Bush administration we could have had him in custody for questioning by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

What they are doing is quantum teleportation, which is just sharing the state of a photon not teleporting actual molecules. It also relies on using standard communication equipment like lasers and radio signals. Quantum teleportation has been done in labs all over the world for quite a while now, the Chinese are just the first to put the equipment on a satellite. It does allow for exciting new technologies and supposedly unbreakable cryptography, but it doesn't give us faster than light communications or anything like that since it is still needs conventional techniques to communicate.

• Locked thread