Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

loud pipes save lives

was dicking around town on the tuono, was passing the park and the ped xing lit up with lights so i stop.... chevy blazer with a dude texting his dick off face buried in his phone takes off past me while a dad mom and baby in a stroller are halfway across. i ripped on my throttle the hardest i've ever done and bounced it off the limiter and the family stopped short and the dude looked up finally and slammed on his brakes.

he overshot where he should have stopped by like 15 feet! now probably the peds would have noticed and stopped in time but it's better to be safe than sorry?

You smashed his mirror as you went by, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
Fuuck. First ride of the season, and... I go down. Getting drunk with a potentially broken thumb, mad that I'll probably have to do a bunch more work on it (or maybe just take it to a shop) and it's currently 1.5 hours away from where I live.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Z3n posted:

Have you considered buying more exotic bikes so that people on the internet have to find something else to dick measure on?

my reply was less dick waving and more ":lol: Ducati"

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Razzled posted:

loud pipes save lives

was dicking around town on the tuono, was passing the park and the ped xing lit up with lights so i stop.... chevy blazer with a dude texting his dick off face buried in his phone takes off past me while a dad mom and baby in a stroller are halfway across. i ripped on my throttle the hardest i've ever done and bounced it off the limiter and the family stopped short and the dude looked up finally and slammed on his brakes.

he overshot where he should have stopped by like 15 feet! now probably the peds would have noticed and stopped in time but it's better to be safe than sorry?

loving well done. You might have saved a babby's life. That's what's important.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Pie Colony posted:

Fuuck. First ride of the season, and... I go down. Getting drunk with a potentially broken thumb, mad that I'll probably have to do a bunch more work on it (or maybe just take it to a shop) and it's currently 1.5 hours away from where I live.

What happened

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Went on a 200-ish mile ride with the wife on the back today - took this route plus 30 or 40-odd miles of slab and city streets on either end. Long country roads that follow the Ohio river, plus a few easy back road twisties and a couple of sweepers. Mostly a cruise route that I ended up on after the wife invited herself along while I was gearing up to head out the door.

If you start in KY, about 1/3 of the way through this route you can make a quick stop at Rabbit Hash for lunch. I don't usually go because it's always filled to the gills with the pirate crowd trying to see whose pipes are loudest. But it had been a long time, the wife had never been there, and the newly elected mayor looked like she'd be cute - it's a pit bull, BTW.

The general store there on the left is kind of a mix of country antiques, weird art, and convenience store (drinks, chips, candy). There's a BBQ stand out of frame to the left that makes a good pulled pork sandwich. You get your drink from the general store, food from the BBQ shack, and sit looking out over the river while you eat.

Oddly enough Ducati was the second most represented bike when I pulled in, with two Multistradas and a Hypermotard. One GSX-R, one ZX6R (I think), the Shadow in the foreground of this shot, and the rest were all from the motor company. While we were gearing up to leave I watched a guy on a bagger pull out with an open Bud Lite in the drink holder hanging from his bars.

The new mayor was indeed a cutie pie.

Bonus destinations on the way out Rabbit Hash: Big Bone Lick, and the town of Beaver Lick. Sexy.

On the loop back home, 56 in Indiana was loving smothered in tar snakes and my front tire was sliding on them pretty badly, including in the middle of a 180 uphill hairpin. Might need to back off a couple of PSI from the recommended 2-up pressures up front. The extra weight on the back of the bike didn't help any either. The factory springs really aren't up to task for passenger duty.

On that note: the more I do it, the less I like carrying a pillion for anything more than short runs/errands. Maybe it would be more tolerable on a dad bike, but gently caress that noise. Really wish the wife would get back into riding on her own again.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 9, 2017

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
I'm those vintage standard oil pumps. That's pretty baller - are those functional?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Nice ride, jazzzzz

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

a cute sea otter posted:

I'm those vintage standard oil pumps. That's pretty baller - are those functional?

They might work, but they haven't been used in a loooong time. Just there for looks, now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dad bikes make 2 up riding fun. Hit button on bars and the bike adjusts the suspension for the passenger and off you go!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Dad bikes make 2 up riding fun. Hit button on bars and the bike adjusts the suspension for the passenger and off you go!

Passengers are stupid and dumb and should get their owns bikes. Lady Chiche just failed the BRC. :cripes:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Speaking of, I gave a spirited ride to a 205lb 6'3 friend of mine last weekend and that was wiiiiild. Bike felt like a loving boat 🙈

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Speaking of, I gave a spirited ride to a 205lb 6'3 friend of mine last weekend and that was wiiiiild. Bike felt like a loving boat 🙈

I've never had a passenger lighter than me and I'd love to know what it's like.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Z3n posted:

I have a Multistrada with skyhook - even with the electronic adjustments it still needs heavier springs to really handle two up well (that's the less costly alternative to telling the old lady she's put on a few pounds). The extra height can be a pain, too.

Wife wants a rolling couch, but I don't want to muscle a 900lb bike around my gravel drive and have it take up 2/3 of the single garage bay I have for bikes and tools. #firstworldproblems

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Still sluggish.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Better if they fall off.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I like having my girlfriend riding passenger. :shrug: Good bonding time.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Are you made of straw?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jazzzzz posted:

Went on a 200-ish mile ride with the wife on the back today - took this route plus 30 or 40-odd miles of slab and city streets on either end. Long country roads that follow the Ohio river, plus a few easy back road twisties and a couple of sweepers. Mostly a cruise route that I ended up on after the wife invited herself along while I was gearing up to head out the door.

If you start in KY, about 1/3 of the way through this route you can make a quick stop at Rabbit Hash for lunch. I don't usually go because it's always filled to the gills with the pirate crowd trying to see whose pipes are loudest. But it had been a long time, the wife had never been there, and the newly elected mayor looked like she'd be cute - it's a pit bull, BTW.

The general store there on the left is kind of a mix of country antiques, weird art, and convenience store (drinks, chips, candy). There's a BBQ stand out of frame to the left that makes a good pulled pork sandwich. You get your drink from the general store, food from the BBQ shack, and sit looking out over the river while you eat.

Oddly enough Ducati was the second most represented bike when I pulled in, with two Multistradas and a Hypermotard. One GSX-R, one ZX6R (I think), the Shadow in the foreground of this shot, and the rest were all from the motor company. While we were gearing up to leave I watched a guy on a bagger pull out with an open Bud Lite in the drink holder hanging from his bars.

The new mayor was indeed a cutie pie.

Bonus destinations on the way out Rabbit Hash: Big Bone Lick, and the town of Beaver Lick. Sexy.

On the loop back home, 56 in Indiana was loving smothered in tar snakes and my front tire was sliding on them pretty badly, including in the middle of a 180 uphill hairpin. Might need to back off a couple of PSI from the recommended 2-up pressures up front. The extra weight on the back of the bike didn't help any either. The factory springs really aren't up to task for passenger duty.

On that note: the more I do it, the less I like carrying a pillion for anything more than short runs/errands. Maybe it would be more tolerable on a dad bike, but gently caress that noise. Really wish the wife would get back into riding on her own again.

You coulda swing by Sugartit too.

That's one of the boring cruise rides tho, when you coming out with me and Tiberus and hitting the fun roads?

Carth Dookie posted:

Are you made of straw?

Slavvy likes his girlies juicy

nsaP fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 10, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

nsaP posted:

You coulda swing by Sugartit too.

That's one of the boring cruise rides tho, when you coming out with me and Tiberus and hitting the fun roads?

I'm slow, so if you're hustling the 10/22 route or down into Falmouth you'd be stuck waiting for me to catch up at the stop signs.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's cool, Tiberus is slow too and tm we're taking out a coworker I expect to crawl

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Are you made of straw?

70kg despite my best efforts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Do you not have the Taco Bell party pack in NZ?

Chichevache posted:

Passengers are stupid and dumb and should get their owns bikes. Lady Chiche just failed the BRC. :cripes:

Maybe don't coach her next time? :shrug:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chichevache posted:

Lady Chiche just failed the BRC.

That never stops a real American.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

Do you not have the Taco Bell party pack in NZ?

Maybe don't coach her next time? :shrug:

Like everything else I ride, she seized up and died.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

:tviv:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like you should bench press your pillions.

Chichevache posted:

loving hell.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I went to Gettysburg over the weekend on my bike with a buddy. We were enjoying the 120 mile ride through the mountains until we got closer to Gettysburg we noticed we were seeing a lot of bikes. We get into town and there were BIKES EVERYWHERE, jamming up traffic going through town making it very miserable to go through the traffic circle because it appeared to have flummoxed every other rider. Turns out it was Bike week there. I have always been curious what a bike week was like now I have no desire to be around that many bikes again.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Same. :(

Chichevache posted:

:allbuttons:

Leave her on the side of the road in the ghetto. I'm sure someone will take her.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Chichevache posted:

You smashed his mirror as you went by, right?

I never understood removing the mirrors. Granted they probably weren't using them anyway, but still... if they didn't see you before, they're DEFINITELY not gonna see you now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I got a chance to ride a Buell 1125CR the other day and it was exactly what I expected, oddly. The chassis, suspension and brakes were all phenomenal, if a little much for the street. The engine was great above 5 grand, pulled strong and really is a quick bike. The intake roar is awesome.

Below 5 grand it bucks and coughs and seems to not want to be there. Also it stalled randomly on me when I had the clutch pulled in, and it absolutely blasts out heat. It's like riding a lit barbecue.

A bike of contrasts. It was fun to ride but I won't be seeking one out.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Picked up a '14 Street Triple R today after some advice in the advice thread. This thing is nice. Comparing it to my two favorite bikes I've owned, a '99 VFR800 and '03 FZ6, it's like they had an underweight baby.

Torque-wise, the fact it's like 130+ pounds lighter than the VFR means it just shoots off the line. It was almost more fun at low RPMs just because it was so surprising. Like, I accidentally took off from a stop in 4th gear. But the engine braking is more forgiving. When the VFR wasn't warm, rolling off 1st gear could make the rear tire chirp on a cold day. At no point did I think the Triumph was going to kill me, which happened the first time I took a sweeper in 3rd on the VFR.

It's also lower to the ground than the FZ6, with pretty much better everything, though the ride was slightly more buzzy. It obviously doesn't have the top end warp drive feel of either, but I'll trade that for the fact I haven't ridden in six months and didn't wobble on a U-turn thanks to its ease of handling.

Brakes felt much better than the VFR (obviously). Not quite the one-finger affair of the FZ6, but it bites better and I survived a random dude coming into my lane unexpectedly without any protest from them. Suspension-wise I can see the potential but the dude who had it before was lighter than me, so I'm gonna take it to a shop to have them calibrate it. I definitely felt some rough spots in the road, which because I'm a lovely rider translated into some throttle fun times.

It sounds great. Not quite gear-driven cams with a Yoshi pipe great, but better than the relatively sedate FZ6 at sub-10k RPM.

Now I'm going to stare outside my window to make sure some schizoid doesn't try to gently caress with it all night.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Very nice! Street triples are awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*taps on mic*

"Uh hi, umm"

*lips on mic*

"SUZUKI SUPREMACY"

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/the-suzuki-sv650-is-the-answer-to-everything-on-two-whe-1790626299

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

That being said, while my SV is more comfortable than a comparable supersport, it’s nowhere near as comfy and stable as a cruiser or touring bike. You still sit relatively high, which helps in cornering, but also raises your center of gravity. Just as with cars, a high center of gravity is less inherently stable. At speed, the gyroscopic forces negate that, but when puttering around town, a cruiser’s low ride height make it much happier to crawl along without suddenly wanting to take a nap in a hedge.

this is entirely wrong

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, doesn't a higher center of gravity at speed actually confer more stability? It's weight at the end of the pendulum as opposed to near the pivot point, and therefore more resistant to deflection (i.e., lean).

edit: Nevermind, it actually kind of says that. But like countersteering, wouldn't it only be an issue under say 10 mph? Also, I think it's usually the owner that has anything to do with a bike suddenly "wanting to take a nap in a hedge."

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 11, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's an issue when you're trying to hold the bike up off the ground with your legs and that's pretty much it.

Cruisers feel friendly and stable because they have retarded long wheelbases, huge bars and super lazy steering geometry.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I think any advantage at walking speeds a cruiser has due to its low COG it gives up due to its much higher weight.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
loving bloggers. You could write that article about nearly any naked bike.

Not that I'm throwing shade on the SV650. I just think that barely-written opinion pieces like that are like mental cotton candy. To a raccoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
You know, I won't lie. The CTX700 is a very well balanced cruiser. It feels very stable when leaning it to the max (so easy to scrape pegs and feel ok about it). If someone could make a cruiser with that same balance in the chassis but a not poo poo engine and better looking plastics I could see myself getting one for town cruising or commuting.

Maybe I should just try an Xdiavel?