Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Do the impossible, see the invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Robots 'exist' uuuuuu~

This LP is good, keep the updates coming.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
You see, guys? It doesn't matter what we have to do (reach a new page) so much as what we want to do (reach a new page).

Wait, poo poo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mikl posted:

You see, guys? It doesn't matter what we have to do (reach a new page) so much as what we want to do (reach a new page).

While my post is unneccesary now, I'll take the chance to point out that this LP has gotten me reading Linebarrels again (after leaving it because we didn't get translations for years, and then when they came back I didn't remember anything). Goddamn I had forgotten how bad some of these translations are, but beyond that, Linebarrels is good. Though rereading the manga is also making it even more clear just how much the anime changed, even the beginning is completely different.

Whoever adapted it was not a Champion of Justice.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Back again, and things are still tied up. The enemies seem to like going after Ozma just as much as the Voltes and Combattler.

The Daiku Maryu crew comes preupgraded at 2 bars, so I spend some of the cash mainly to get Daiya up to speed, along with some buffs to Voltes.

As for squads, I just made a few changes to accommodate the new folks:
Tetsuya/Jun
Ichitaka/Dick
Kouji/Boss
Combattler/Puria
Daiya/Yanma
Zechs/Noin
Voltes/Canaria
Heine/Klan
Ozma/Luca

Alto and Michel are going out as event units.
Let’s get to it.

: Hah, you’re not going anywhere today!
: You guys’ve been raining on our parade ever since we got back to Earth, but that’s coming to an end!
: Take care of them, Sting, Auel, Stella. And remember that we can’t afford any more failures.
: OK… I’ll do my best.
: Our path’s completely cut off!
: We’ve 4 MSs available, including Athrun’s… we can’t win against them all.
: What do we do, then, captain?
: We’ll disperse them with the Tannhäuser – that’s the only way we’re breaking through their lines.
: Copy that! Tannhäuser, standby!

*Wiiiiirrrrr!*

: We need to bring down the Minerva this time – any more failures and it’ll only worsen Orb’s standing with the Alliance. There'll be no more chances if we don’t turn this around here and now!
: The ship’s defenses are thinner towards their portside, so engage them from there!

*Orb’s Murasames blast forward.*

: Oh…? I suppose we might as well go and back them up with that, then. Auel, Sting, you and your two squads harass the Minerva from starboard; Stella, you take portside!
: Aye, aye, Neo!

*Off they go.*

: We’re being outflanked!
: Captain, the ship has no room to even alter its course!
: Urk, they’re too numerous for us to manage!
: Shinn, the two of us’ll open up a path for them. Rey, Luna, cover us!
: Y-Yes, sir!

: Beam blasts?!
: Huh? Where’d those come from?!

: That’s… the Freedom! Kira?!
: …
: What happened?! Status report! Now!
: Yes, sir! Several presumed warning shots rained throughout the battlefield… Then, right after, the Freedom and…
: Wait, what did you just say?!
: This is Cagalli Yula Athha, Representative of the United Emirates of Orb! All Orb troops are to cease hostilities and retreat immediately!
: C-Cagalli?!
: For real?!
: Exigent circumstances demanded that I, the daughter of Uzumi Nara Athha, depart my homeland, but that changes not the fact that I still am Orb’s Representative!
: And I command you with the full authority of that title! This battle does not align with our nation’s principles, so any and all troops are to cease fire and retreat!
: Urgh…!
: Cagalli…
: (The Archangel, the Freedom and Orb’s princess. I don’t know if she’s really who she claims to be, but I wonder what he’ll do…)
: U-Um… that’s, err…
: (Not looking good there… but even I didn’t see this coming. I’ve to do something to turn this around or we’ll be done.)
: Do you not hear me, soldiers of Orb? Do you not understand what I’m saying?!
: The Archangel… they’re helping us?

*Beep, beep!*

: Captain, we’ve unknown bogeys coming in fast – many of them!

: Those units…! Everyone watch out!
: Even more uninvited guests…! All troops, change of plans! We’ll make a temporary retreat and reorganize!
: Don’t need to, Neo! Those things aren’t moving anywhere on the same level as a Mobile Doll – we can handle them!
: Yeah, them Valkyries we saw in space flew way better.

*The kids move in.*

: Stop, you two! That’s a feint!

*Two of the unknowns blast forward!*

: What?!
: Sting, Auel, watch out!

: GAAAH!!
: AAAAH!!

: AUEL!!
: … Sting, retreat! Do it or you’ll end just like him!
: They got Auel…?! What about Stella?! She alright?!
: No signs of an explosion, but she’s not responding! We’ll just have to believe in her now!
: drat it all…!

: Yuna Seiran, what are you doing?! Recall your troops or they’ll die for nothing!
: A-Ah… Retreat! Retreat!

: Wh-What the hell are those…?!
: Do you know anything, Kira?!
: Not much… All I’m sure of is that they’re up to something and that’s sending our world down the wrong path.
: What…?
: And I…!

Kira: “I won’t ignore those who’d twist our world…!”

: That’s the Freedom…! What kind of person’s piloting it…?
: Regardless, we’ve at least managed to avoid the worst case scenario. What happens next depends on the Archangel, though.
: To the ZAFT battleship Minerva: we don’t wish to fight you. My weapons are down and I’m headed your way.

*Cagalli (in her Strike Rouge) moves up to the ZAFT group.*

: As Orb’s Representative, I’d like to beg your forgiveness for our unannounced volley and the confusion we brought to your battlefield.
: Psh, still got that silver tongue at the ready, huh? And weren’t you supposed to be kidna—

*Beep, beep!*

: C-Captain, another hostile’s just popped on radar!
: !!

:siren: :siren:

: Huh? That’s not an MS or an Arma…!
: Based on the readings I’m getting, I think it’s with those unknown units.
: Now this is a nice surprise to find during our tests. Everyone who’d displayed “potential” during the Great War, all together in one place.
: How is the prototype doing? Can it manage some combat?
: Currently operating at 80% capacity. The question is whether the throughput can keep up with them…
: Well… I’m a bit queasy over having it face the Freedom, but just avoid doing that and it’ll be fine. In terms of “potential”, hmm... Have it focus fire on the ZAFT unit and the Strike, I guess.

*The unit blasts forward.*

: That thing’s fast!
: Rey, Lunamaria, the Unknown’s headed for the Impulse! Support Shinn!
: R-Roger!

*Moves right past Kira, towards them.*

: …! It’s gonna get both Shinn and Rep. Athha like that!

*Takes aim!*

: I’m not going down here! I…I made a promise to Stella that I’d see her again!

: Aaah, magnificent! Behold, “potential”! But, unfortunately, those actions had already been inputted. Engage!
: What?! I can’t shake him!
: That unit’s movements… Athrun!
: I know! I’ll cover Cagalli!

: Urgh…?!

: Athrun!

: Hrm…! ZAFT pilot, are you OK?!
: The Freedom… Why did you…? W-Wait, forget me – that guy’s more important! He shot down Athrun!

: Raaaaaargh!!

: Oh, very nice! His handling changed from how it was a few moments ago! That’s certainly the “potential” that’d pave the way to the future!
: Excellency, we’re past the thresholds. Neither the AI nor the unit can withstand much more.
: Just when things were starting to pick up... I suppose about now is when I should go and ask Prof. Grife for his help.

: Cagalli, we’re exposed here. Bring Kira back and we’ll leave these waters right away.
: Good luck on your voyage, Cpt. Gladys.
: Huh…?

: No signs of hostiles in the surrounding areas, captain!
: Have Rey recover Athrun while the Impulse searches for the downed Gaia. We’ll leave here as soon as that’s done.

Over by the Minerva’s sick bay, Shinn’s explaining to Talia how the Gaia’s pilot is the girl he met elsewhere. He doesn’t know much about her, but could see from the get-go how much she’d suffered because of war.
Still, as the Gaia’s pilot, she’s an Extended of the Federation: even cursory scans showed various issues with her body. Despite all that, Shinn made a promise back then: “that I’d keep her safe”. Arthur gets in touch to relate that we’re drawing very close to Diokia and Talia tells him to handle our approach.
Once we reach port, the girl’ll have to be taken off the Minerva – one, they can’t keep her aboard as a captive indefinitely, and, two, the ship isn’t equipped to care for someone like her. On that note, Stella wakes up and is rather confused. Shinn, however, is very relieved: “You’re alright, Stella! Don’t worry – I’m right here! You remember me, right? Shinn?”

Maybe not, as the girl flips out: “I don’t… I don’t know you! Neo! NEOOO!!”
Talia explains to him that, according to intel received, the Extended are biological CPUs raised by Blue Cosmos – thus, it’s very likely she’s been on the receiving end of various mental adjustments, including to her memories. She can’t remember him.
This is precisely what she was talking about and says that, when Stella disembarks at Diokia, they’ll try and find a way to help her. Shinn slowly confirms.

Back to the Quarter, Lady Une’s briefing us on Operation Carnival: we’ll be headed towards Diokia, where we’ll take part in the PLANTs show for peace. In summary, we’ll be joining the PLANTs to appeal against hostilities between humans. It also helps that the Daiku Maryu’s quite well-liked by the general public, so our voice should carry far.
But what, exactly, are we supposed to do in this “carnival”? Maybe bike stunts, Hyouma ponders? Chizuru not too sure about this as she doesn’t really know any tricks to entertain folks. Thankfully, it won’t be that sort of stuff: we’ll be making a show with our own bots. Ichitaka didn’t expect that, but Kouji says it wouldn’t be unheard of as Japan even has the regular aerial acrobatics and mock battles by the SDF.
Mind, while Diokia is currently occupied by ZAFT, this event will not involve the military in the slightest as a way to not antagonize the Earth Alliance. With orders for us to get ready to depart soon, Une cuts off.

Heine’s a bit at loss for words over LOTUS’ recent activities: first a movie shoot and, now, we’ll take part in a carnival? He doesn’t think less of us because of it, of course, but this isn’t exactly what he expected we’d be using our cutting-edge ships and units for.
Daiya is all for the idea of putting up a show for the entire world and he figures our folks’ll like it too. Alice agrees: our mission is to put a smile on everyone’s faces. It’s with that mindset that we fight? Heine doesn’t quite know what to think…

Well, Sheryl figures she’s keeping her end of the bargain as Alto’ll have his chance to fly around for fun. Yes, it’ll be part of a show and kind of a mission but Alto’s given up trying to complain. More importantly, why does he have to work with her again? Does he have a problem with that? Plenty! For one, Alto doesn’t like having to carry her up the stage with his Valkyrie!
Still, Grace said it’d maximize the impact of her entrance, so they’re going with it. So Sheryl hops inside the Valkyrie’s cockpit – no, she doesn’t ask for permission – and finds it actually more spacious than she expected. Before Alto has a chance to yell, she spots her earring hanging within. W-Well, isn’t the thing supposed to be a good luck charm? He figured he needed to strap it somewhere.

Sheryl says no, though: he needs to carry it on his person the whole time or it won’t work. Her objection’s interrupted when a hacking cough starts – she says she just got a bit choked up and it’ll pass.
It’s then that Luca comes in, looking for Michel – they can’t find him. Alto figures the womanizer’s out trying to score with some of LOTUS’ women, but Luca doesn’t seem so certain. Klan’s also around and seems to have an idea.

Cut to Diokia, Lacus Meer’s already here and ready to sing so that everyone may enjoy a life of peace. Athrun’s looking on, somberly seeing how hard she’s working to help stoke the anti-war sentiment, though Luna’s a bit dejected with him. She’d hoped he’d be happy to see his “ex-fiancée” after all this time and had half a mind to ask her to cheer him up.
Athrun asks if she thinks he’s depressed that the Saviour’s wrecked – while he isn’t HAPPY with it, he’s not going to agonize over it. Indeed, Athrun figures he did what he had to do as Orb losing Cagalli would only make things worse over there. Luna tells him not to speak like that, as it strikes her as very reckless – problem is, Athrun says, an inept man like him can’t speak or fight in any other way.

And speaking of reckless, how’s Shinn doing? Athrun figures he must be going through a tough bit with seeing Cagalli again and what happened with Stella, but Luna says he’s got Rey there with him. She figures she shouldn’t intrude.
The convo’s interrupted when Meyrin comes with some big news: Durandal’s coming here! Athrun inwardly thinks that this is too sudden to be related to the Saviour’s destruction – he must have something to do planetside.

And Talia very much didn’t expect him to turn up, though this wouldn’t be the first time he surprised her. Durandal first salutes Rey, who’s so very happy when “Gil” praises his good work. As for Athrun, he’s heard of the difficulties he’s faced after making it back to the Minerva; he’s also been briefed of what happened in the previous battle, including that mysterious organization that seems hostile to the Alliance, Orb and PLANTs.
Athrun does apologize for failing to live up to Durandal’s expectations – even losing the brand new prototype – but the guy’s just happy everyone’s in one piece. Moreover, he thinks Athrun did the right thing. Finally, Durandal’s also heard much of the very nervous Shinn and Lunamaria and invites the crew to come have a meal with him.

Amidst the food, Durandal’s rather interested in Shinn’s opinion that this war’s to blame on some selfish groups like the Blue Cosmos – he won’t say it with absolute certainty, but he thinks their presence makes it impossible to NOT have conflict.
Durandal concedes his point that there are people around who’re simply unwilling to tolerate the existence of certain things – but what if he told him that there are folks, behind the scenes, manipulating and profiting off this conflict? Without war, there’s no need for weapons and, thus, there’d be no profits. Thus, in the eyes of those people, wouldn’t it be in their best interest to have war?
Indeed, throughout our history, there have been those who’ve cried for bloody murder, for intolerance, for vengeance, who see war as merely another industry, and who’ve moved to expand it accordingly. All for their personal gain.

They’re called Logos and Durandal is sure that their hand is behind this conflict – they’re the Blue Cosmos parent organization – and while they remain in power, war will continue between the Earth and PLANTs. Durandal has long sought to do something about them, but it is certainly no easy task. He knows that even Lady Une, a former OZ operative, has been having difficulties as she tries moving against them at the UN.

Athrun asks Durandal what he thinks of the Archangel’s activities, but he turns the question back at us. He’d especially like to hear Athrun’s own opinion, seeing how he fought alongside that ship in the last war.
Well… Athrun doesn’t think they’re enemies – hell, Kira even saved Shinn in that battle. The problem is that things have been happening at such a breakneck pace that they haven’t had a chance to stop and talk to each other about what’s going on.
Durandal understands and, if anything, is more concerned about those mysterious enemies that started showing up around the Earth Sphere. If the Archangel’s pursuing those, that’s good, but there are still plenty of things that we can’t really decide one way or another without talking to them. This subject doesn’t pertain only to Athrun, so Durandal would like to ask that, if we manage to get in touch with the Archangel, that we let him know.
That being said, he invited them here because he wanted to speak with us. Luna’s still a bit nervous but she has something she’d like to ask. Durandal’s more than willing to answer, but begs that she relax – the night’s still young, after all.

By Diokia’s storage area, the mooks have just found a rather big piece of cargo that wasn’t in their registries. A soldier reports hearing that it’s equipment for the upcoming show – apparently Sheryl’s crew’ll come pick it up later and wanted to store it here ‘til the evening.
The officer in charge sees no problems with it, but is a bit miffed that they decided to spring this in the eleventh hour. Still, they’ll have to put up with it.
As they leave, Brera confirms to G that everything’s in place and ready to go. The larva’s also in position within the expected area of effect. With that, G asks him to come back and is very much looking forward to Operation Carnival – what an amusing coincidence that our op had the same name as their plan.

Sheryl’s already arrived and is being shown around the stage – she didn’t expect something so grand for a so-called “carnival” but it goes to show how big Lacus is in this world. Maybe less so recently, though, as Sheryl heard that the public interest for this has been a bit akin to expectations.
She’s still coughing, but chalks it up to a bit of weariness over the recent workload… and she gets halfway through giving some instructions before fainting right then and there! Grace scrambles to her rescue, but, inwardly, her reaction’s a bit different: “Everything’s going according to plan”.

And, over by the Quarter, Elmo rushes in calling for Ranka: Sheryl’s fallen ill and Grace’s called, asking for Ranka to replace her.
The girl’s a bit taken aback by the idea, wondering if she could handle something as big as that. But she remembers what Alto said before and quickly jettisons those doubts out her head – she’s going for it!

Talia and Jeffrey are seeing each other for the first time since Junius Seven – the whims of fate are surprising, indeed, for them to be here at the same time – and she’s also honored to speak with the captain of the Daiku Maryu.
They heard Durandal wanted to talk with them and, Talia thinks, he’s backstage right now.

Indeed, he’s just finished talking with Meer, who promises to sing her heart out as Lacus’ stand-in. As he wishes good luck and takes off, Meer’s still impressed with beloved Lacus is by everyone, and while she’s a bit embarrassed to be impersonating her, her desire to lift up everyone’s spirits is very real. So she’ll try her best to, like Lacus, touch the people’s hearts with her song and bring a speedy end to all this violence.
Bobby and Ranka come in right then to get some quick makeup done, and the girl’s blown away to see “Lacus”. She’ll be singing soon, too, so Meer gives her the room while she goes and prepares.
Bobby could hear the nervousness in her voice, and Ranka figures even big stars like Lacus can get a bit antsy face a big stage like this. He’s not so sure about that…

Cut to the infirmary, Alto’s grumbling at Sheryl not taking care of her own health – how unprofessional – and she can’t well disagree. She does apologize for pulling the plug on his air show with this but Alto tells her just to rest. They’re expecting some ruffled feathers, but Ranka’ll cover for her.
Grace explains that she’s agreed to represent the Frontier in her stead, so Sheryl tells Alto to get out there and cheer for her. This is Ranka’s debut show!

Back to the dressing area, Alto’s doing just that – he’ll be watching among the crowd. He tells that Sheryl isn’t doing too good, but she still took the time to insist he be here for her.
And Ranka’s very grateful: “it’s only thanks to you that I decided to step onto that stage. And I’ll sing with all my heart – I want this huge crowd to listen to my song!” That’s the way and Alto tells her to leave it all out there.
As the call ends, it’s almost go-time. She hasn’t had time to rehearse, but Bobby knows she’ll knock it out of the park. The big stage awaits.

Out there, the Voltes, Combattler and Gaiking teams are running the show with their yoyos, spinning tops and rolling dinosaur ships. The crowd seems to be really digging it, and Ichitaka’s a bit sullen that he didn’t have any cool tricks to show with the Rushbird.
Zechs tells him not to sweat it as he’s not alone on that subject – only those guys had experience with this sort of stuff. Ichitaka wishes he and Kouichi could be up there on stage, making people happy as a team.
Zechs and Noin have heard of Kouichi and that he recently got picked up by JUDA (after an “accident”). The prospect of seeing his buddy again’s lifted Ichitaka’s spirit in a hurry, though Noin tells him to relax and enjoy the present. Seems like it’ll be Ranka and Lacus’ turn up stage next.

Luca brings the ZAFT crew over and Shinn quickly recognizes Ichitaka as the guy who tried to help him and Athrun at Junius Seven. Mind, his greeting comes with that traditional Shinn-esque attitude, which earns him some scolding from Luna – he might be worried about Stella but that’s no reason to be disrespectful. He says he’s not being disrespectful… it’s the whole “respectfulness” thing that doesn’t click with him.
Either way, after a quick introduction, Shinn explains that Yamashita and Goh told him of what Ichitaka wanted to do back then, and they figured they’d meet him in person once Luca said he was around. The two of them would also like to thank LOTUS for the assist at Junius Seven, but Ichitaka figures they’d be better off thanking Zechs or Noin – he’s too shy to handle that.
Regardless, Shinn’s thankful that Ichitaka and LOTUS cared to help them. Ichitaka gets all flustered, and Luca suggests they all watch the show together. It’s starting, so they better cheer Ranka good!

Meer gets on stage, greeting all the peace-loving people gathered here (Athrun’s still a bit sour with her impersonating Lacus). Following some words of thanks to LOTUS for the show, she gets ready to sing… and the alarms go off! The base is under attack – right now, yes!
Zechs scrambles everyone back to the ships, Shinn and co. also moving to deploy.

Mission 9 (Retreat Route) – Operation Carnival

Surprise, it’s the Alliance. They got wind of Durandal being here and are moving in for the kill – anything tries leaving the base, it gets shot. Orb troops are also around, very dejected, Yuna telling them not to worry about stuff like “collateral damage”. Getting rid of Durandal’s their one-stop ticked to world peace!
Trowa is still with them, pondering how it’s Logos controlling the Alliance from the shadows. These roots dig deeper than he expected, but it is not his mission to expose them.

Our folks deploy and Talia says Durandal’s getting everyone in the base into the shelters – we’ll need to hold the line until that’s finished and stop any Alliance soldier from getting too close. As Jeffrey tags the area, Alto sees that Ranka’s still around the stage. “Get to the shelter already… Hurry!” he thinks.
As Heine sees that the Minerva’s running short on troops and ponders how much they’ll be able to help here, Ichitaka notices that Michel isn’t around. Alice says he wasn’t feeling too good, so he’s being kept in reserve. Guess it’ll be up to us to handle this.

Kill everything without losing any ship, Alto or letting an enemy into the Diokia Base. Not too difficult provided you know what’s coming: you’ll want to send a handful of units down center, angling a bit to the left, while your more hardhitting folks head towards the Alliance.
Orb’s Murasames are a priority as they can fly and move quickly, meaning it won’t take long for them to close that distance. Their AI seems to prioritize moving, too. Form a solid wall and work your way out, focus-firing on the more distant Zamza-Zahs and Gells-Ghes due to their barriers (note that the former still have a MAPW, as does Trowa).

So everyone just goes forward.

Enemy Phase!

Same for the Murasames, Windams and Daggers.

Player Phase!

: No pushing! Please line up one-by-one! Everything’s all right!
: Shelters #4 and #5 are already full?! Then there’s only one left for all these people…!
: Prioritize the civilians’ safety! Use any available facilities, even those for officials and VIPs!
: M-Ms. Lacus wouldn’t take shelter at a time like this… What should I do, then…?
: Wh-What’s going on, Lacus?!
: Ranka! Didn’t you hear evacuation alarm?!
: I did, but how could I just leave everyone behind?!

: Aaah!
: Don’t panic! LOTUS will keep this area safe, so please remain calm!
: (This isn’t good… At this rate we’ll have a frenzy on our hands…!)
: I… What I can do is…
: … I’ll sing to them!
: Huh…
: I know there’s so much you can do, but I’m just a singer myself. And even if I’m a newbie, I’ll be professional about it! All that I can do… is sing to try and calm them down!
: (If Alto’s out there fighting, then I’ll fight too…!)
: Hold me to the edge of the galaxy!

: Hrm? Who’s singing…?!
: Suimen ga yuragu…♪
: This voice… Ranka?!
: Ranka, you…

: What? The attacks ceased…?
: (All those panicking people… they’re just listening to her now…)
: What’s going on?! Why do I hear music?!
: Heh…

*Tweeep.*

: (That’s… space-time is trembling?)

: A Vajra?!
: Y-Yes, sir! We’re pinging an uncommon De-Fold signal!
: It’s…!
: (Magnificent… The boundaries between parallel worlds are nigh-meaningless to the Vajra…)
: (The plan was just for Q1’s voice to stimulate the larva, but this is far better than what we expected.)

*Bing!*

: Do I secure the girl?
: (There’s been no change to the plan: securing Ranka Lee is a secondary priority. Disregard this command in case the primary objective can’t be carried out.)
: But she’s—
: (We’ve only seen one emerge thus far, so she’s no more than the subject of a hypothesis. She is not a priority. That’ll be all.)
: Copy that.

*Bloop.*

: (Still, that girl… If Q1’s voice can, in fact, make space-time tremble and influence the Vajra…)
: drat those bugs… we thought we’d taken out all the one who followed us into this world, but I guess there some left?
: Skull Leader to all units: save the questions for later! We’re lucky it’s only one of them… so take out that Vajra right the hell now!

Well, we’ve got Ranka singing over the entire battleground now. Sadly, J-pop is not J-rock and, as such, we get no morale boost. Oh, well.
After Tetsuya and Jun cut these Murasames down to size, Rey and Luna move in.

: Gil’s in there, leading the civilians… I’ll protect this base with my life!

: If what the Chairman said is true and this war was caused by those Logos guys… then they’ll find that no one here’s gonna keep on dancing to their tunes!

There they go.

We can’t reach the Vajra just yet, but we can handle this wing of attackers.
Noin missed her target, mind…

But that’s fine. Ozma takes the leader, spreading the command aura, and Shinn moves in for the other kill.

: Both Stella and the Chairman are at Diokia! I’m not letting you do anything with the place!

There it goes.

This group here falls to Heine/Klan and Voltes/Canaria.

Enemy Phase!

The Alliance’s NE wing is starting to draw dangerously close, but they also choose to attack Lulu. She deprives the leaders of 3 groups of most of their HP.

Couple decide it’s a good idea to attack Hyouma.

It’s not. The Dagger gets oneshotted, the Windam barely hangs on.

Trowa and the beefier are mooks are moving in, but are out of range (same for the lone Vajra).

Player Phase!

Grace watches as the resonance is on the verge of reaching its apex and orders the “Dimension Eater” to be detonated. Meanwhile Brera’s to escape and await orders. With things going so incredibly well, all that remains is to tear down the fabric of space-time and let the larva’s cry echo throughout their world (that is, the Macross’) and to its brethren.
With the Fold Waves as a beacon, the Vajra will be led to this world en masse, and she takes even a link with the Queen to be possible. Within Diokia, Durandal confirms all civilians evacuated and is about to call Ranka and Lacus to come with when the Dimension Eater goes off in a purple explosion.
Our people have no idea what just happened, but Luca pings a small Fold rift being opened by the city’s storage area. And it is quickly followed by a bunch of other Fold signals emerging nearby – Monica tags them as being the same as the Fold made by that lone Vajra.

A bunch of the buggers warp in, including a few Knights, and Hyouma isn’t amused by enemies capable of turning up in the blink of an eye. Things just went south in a big way, Dick sees, and even more so when a Vajra flies into Diokia.
It makes a beeline for Ranka and takes her back to one of the Knights, which quickly leaves the area.

Alto’s on the verge charging head-first towards the things (ignoring Ozma’s warnings) when Brera shows up and blocks him: “You don’t deserve her,” he says and flies off. Alto recognizes his Valkyrie as the one from when the Vajra captured Luca and blasts away in pursuit to try and get Ranka back.
Ozma isn’t happy with anything that just happened, but also remembers Brera’s ship from Alto’s previous report. Lulu wants to have the Daiku Maryu follow but Michel finally gets in touch and says he’ll do it – the red Valkyrie’s pretty good and, plus, he was kept in reserve for emergencies like this, right?
Lulu allows it, so off goes Michel. Juzo can easily tell that something’s off with the guy, but Ippei says we can only count on him – meanwhile, what we can do is end this battle in a hurry. That means keeping Diokia safe while also wrecking the new Vajra.
Jeffrey, meanwhile, tells Monica to try running a trace on the escaped Knight Vajra and to make sure we don’t lose Alto or Michel’s signals.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 3, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Well, so much for Ranka’s debut. But, hey, at least she’s not being hunted down by a robo ninja in this game.
Priority is still the Alliance mooks as a bunch of them can reach the finish line by their next move.

: Did they chase the Minerva all the way here or are they after the Chairman…? But whichever one it is, we’ll defend this base to the death!

Bam.

One for Rey, one for Lulu.

Her Flame gets stronger after that!

The Windam leading this team was summarily shot down by Heine. Its squaddie immediately follows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPyw8n7e93I
By the by, a carryover from K is that pretty much everything but a couple of Daiya’s attacks have a dynamic kill. Someone at Banpresto really liked Gaiking LOD (as they should).

Kills for Tetsuya and Jun, Boss and Hyouma.

No more nearby threats to Diokia.

Ichitaka and Zechs’ll handle the last pair of Murasames, while Ozma (just in case) takes the lone Vajra that started all this.

: Alto… I swear to all that’s holy, if anything happens to Ranka…!

: These are two numerous to be stragglers from the flock that attacked the Galaxy…
: And that red unit… it looked like YF-27, so I should probably get in touch with company headquarters again.

Alright.

Enemy Phase!

Shinn and Lulu get harassed by the Zamza-Zahs, hitting back with varying degrees of pain. One gets too close to Kenichi and Canaria, though, and is gunned down.

Excellent.

On the other side, Zechs and Ichitaka are holding the line just fine against the little Vajra.

Player Phase!

Following a big hit from Lulu, Heine moves in.

Luna and Rey handle the Gells.

Right on time.

And Trowa’s deciding to be a dick, Support Defending mooks that I could easily kill. Time to get rid of him.

Let’s see how you like this!

And he’s very dead. I’ll make a video of this when I use it against something that won’t cheat me out of a DK…!

He figures he’s fought enough that no one’ll suspect him. The issue now is finding where Relena’s at.

By the Vajra, Ichitaka and Jeffrey each take a kill – the latter gets Invincible.

Next.

Ozma and Luca nab a nearby pair too.

And now this is pretty much clean up. The Alliance mooks are too far away to stand a chance at making touchdown and the Vajra are too frail to withstand my everything.

Cliffs notes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmCmtXi9xAA
“Anyone who doesn’t wanna die has one second to get out my sight!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld9cxRV4OUQ
Everything the Gaiking does is so satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfw23yE-ibk
Zechs’ strongest weapon here, since I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x01OAMYzKw
Also since I could: FAAAAAACE OPEN!

And that’s the end of that!

As for Alto, Monica pings him bogged down by the red Valkyrie and unable to pursue the Vajra.

*Brera flies around, Alto TRYING to keep up.*

: Pull yourself together, Alto! You’re not flying like you usually do!

: Hmph, child’s play.
: drat it, Ranka’s gonna get away!
: “Ranka this, Ranka that”… is it just about her? May I remind you that our mission was to protect a base filled with people! Have all these battles been just a secondary concern to you?!
: Screw you, Michel! It’s never been anything of the sort!
: Hmhmhm… Too slow.

: Urk!
: Keep him still, Alto! I can’t get a bead on him…!
: Shut up! I know!

: That’s it! Keep him right there and I’ll end it!
: Stand down! If I can catch him, then I can do this myself!
: Hah, just let me handle it. Be it with women or bullets, I always hit a bulls-eye.

*Rifle charging!*

: (Sis… I…)

: …?!
: My right engine?! Michel! The hell are you doing shooting me?!
: All that talk and you screw it up?! Or was that on purpose?!
: Hrk… Of course it wasn't!

*Brera gets his Valkyrie up straight and blasts away.*

: drat it, Ranka! RANKAA!!

Things aren’t doing too good now. The Quarter and Daiku Maryu are trying to figure out where the Vajra flew off to before going after, and Durandal offers to personally accompany us and help since he feels somewhat responsible for what happened.
Jeffrey tells him not to as it was only thanks to his efforts that the civs were mostly unharmed, but he still says we’d have had a much simpler time dealing with the Vajra if the Alliance hadn’t turned up around here. Plus, it was he who invited the Frontier guests over in the first place.

Speaking of, Sheryl runs in in a panic, having just heard what happened to Ranka. She slowly grunts at Jeffrey that she’s fine enough, and rather angry at Alto for letting the girl get kidnapped under his nose. He should be coming in soon, so she tumbles off to the hangar.
Still, Durandal says he and Lacus are as worried as Sheryl and hopes that Jeffrey'll allow them to help. Furthermore, he’d also like to speak with Heine a bit.

Ichitaka and Alice confirm that both Alto and Michel are doing fine – Hiyoshi was more than a bit worried at how he’d cope if those two ended up dead. Still, Tetsuya reports that they lost those Vajra due to the red Valkyrie.
So much for Alto’s unauthorized rescue mission, Puria sighs… but Daiya figures we’ll manage to get Ranka back as our ships are already tracking the buggers down. Granted, Ozma is beside himself with worry in the meantime.

A bit later, Michel and Alto have returned and the former isn’t doing too good. Klan tells him to keep his chin up as it’s only a matter of time before we figure out where Ranka’s at. It’s not the Ranka business that’s gotten him down, though, but that friendly fire incident – Klan only needed to take a look at the hole in Alto’s VF-25 to have an idea of what happened.
Speaking of Alto, Luca’s trying and failing to keep him from immediately getting in Michel’s face: “What the hell was with that shot?! Are you trying to get me killed?!” Michel says nothing, and Alto doesn’t appreciate the silent treatment – say something, drat it!
Luca tries arguing that it’s only human to make miss a shot or two but Alto’s not one bit interested in losing his life over one; besides, the guy doesn’t “miss”! Didn’t Michel always go on and on about how he got his “sniper sense” from his sister? Or, maybe, screwing up’s the only thing that’s in his blood?!

Michel snaps at that and straight up punches Alto. It falls on Ichitaka, Hyouma and Daisaku to break it off, but Alto isn’t having it: “Lemme go! If he’d just kept his head together, Ranka wouldn’t…!”
Things stop when Ozma runs in and punches both men – what the hell is fighting one another going to achieve? Tetsuya joins in, asking if Alto thinks he’s the only one here who wants to save Ranka. Did he ever stop to think of how hard Ozma’s struggling to keep his personal feelings in check, not just today but also during the movie shoot battle?

Sheryl stumbles in right then and she seems to be taking a turn for the worse. Still, she tells Alto that he needs to save Ranka before crumbling to the ground. Alice yells that she shouldn’t be walking around in her condition; and despite what she might say, Alice’s sensors pick up several problems with her: excessively low temperature, fatigue and more.
She calls up Canaria, who says they’ve got plenty of room to take Sheryl in, so Alice lifts the indignant singer up and carries her away. Michel’s taking off as well, telling Ozma that he’s going to do some training and make sure he doesn’t screw up again. That’s fine, but Ozma wants him to take a few people with.
Heine’s looking on, sighing that he won’t be leaving the Quarter on a lighter atmosphere. Wait, what? See, Durandal’s requested that he transfer over to the Minerva to supplement its dwindling forces – they’ve no flight lead now that Athrun’s lost his Savior. Still, he very much enjoyed working with us, short-lived as that might’ve been.

Kouji tells him not to get so bummed out – it ain’t like him – and figures, when things with the Alliance settle down, the PLANTs will likely join up with LOTUS. Heine confirms that Durandal said the same, but whether or not he himself’ll get back with us is a different story. He’d very much prefer to be dealing with the Jama Kingdom and Cthulhu and whatnot, mind, and Daiya figures we’ll see each other again as it comes to that.
Well, Heine would’ve liked to give everyone a proper farewell, but this doesn’t quite look like the best time for that. He merely asks them pass a message to Alto: “don’t let love blind you to your duty.”

By the Quarter’s firing range, Michel’s missing a whole lot; Ippei sees that he’s not himself and asks what happened. Well, how familiar is Ippei with his personal history? Not much – no one would even gossip much about him. Klan sees where this is going and asks if it’s about Jessica.
Michel says absolutely not – he’s just been going to bed by himself lately and that’s made him all lonely and whatnot. Maybe Klan would care to come on over tonight and remedy that? No one buys his story and Ippei asks how that Jessica fits in Michel’s past. Ippei can’t even look at him right now – he’s looking even worse than after that time they fought.
Still, Michel asks them to quit meddling in his business, as they’re not helping him calm down. Juzo argues that we can’t just ignore him, either, but Klan takes a more pragmatic approach of calling him and idiot and punching him. Even micronized, her fists still hurt plenty…

Some time later, back at the hangar, Alto’s staring at Sheryl’s earring – it’s already been a while since he “borrowed” it. His train of thought’s interrupted when Ranka’s Aimo starts playing through the thing!

Cut to the bridge, he’s just told them about it; Alto’s sure he heard Ranka’s voice and it wasn’t just his mind playing tricks. Her song was seemingly coming from a specific direction and Luca’s pinged faint Fold Waves being emitted that way. Do you think that’s…?
A call comes in from Japan’s SDF right then: it’s our friend Igarashi and he reports that one of their patrols just found the beasties we were looking for. It’s a flock of Vajra about west-southwest of the Okinotori Islands and their numbers, varieties and signals correspond to those that emerged at Diokia.
Seems like we have our target, so Jeffrey commands the Quarter and Daiku Maryu to go after.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 6, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I hope everyone enjoyed Saviour Gundam, because that was literally it's only appearance in the game. Much like Yzak's custom ZAKU, Saviour gets screwed over by this game. One could argue Saviour (along with Abyss and Chaos Gundams; yep, both of those units are now totaled too!) get it even worse because you can actually use Yzak's ZAKU for a brief period of time. Those three Gundams barely managed to get a map sprite, by contrast.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Yep, hope you like towing Athrun around in a crappy zaku for half the game!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Did Auel just get iced in a friggin cutscene?

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT :roflolmao:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

And without ever receiving an actual combat appearance, like the Saviour. That's another inheritance from K, so I'm told, where a lot of the Destiny plot happened offscreen.

L, however, seems to be going the way of asking "what if the SEED Destiny protags were all reasonable, normal human beings throughout everything?" and focusing on that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Yep, he sure did. And not only that, a cutscene that the player can potentially never see due to being on a route split.

E: And yes Brunom, Destiny's plot in K is super condensed, where the only playable content is the Berlin arc, and the final battle at Messiah. The second invasion of ORB is off-screen, but referenced.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 3, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

: Regardless, we’ve at least managed to avoid the worst case canon scenario. What happens next depends on the Archangel :420:, though.
: Hell yeah. :chillpill: :chillpill: :350:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Here we are, closing off the Rescue Route. Quatre had a bit of a sprint in the last mission, securing himself as our top ace. Ichitaka and Kenji are now tied for the second and third place.

Kouichi, as you might guess, will be a very recurring event deployment, so I gave him an extra pip on everything – you might as well boost everything since, one, he’s not the best at dodging despite the Linebarrel’s size and, two, there’s always that 50% boost to squad bonuses.
Remaining cash goes into giving Goh, Ichita and Jeeg some boosts here and there.

Putting out squads back together after they got all messed up last time, we’re going with:
Jeeg/Kyo
Ichitaka/Miu
Reiji/Quatre
Iczer-1/Yagyuu
Yamashita/Shizuna
Shizuru/Tetsuya

Goh, Mira and Kouichi are deploying as events.

: … Are you there, weasel?
: You called, Prof. Grife? Have you decided to cooperate?
: Hmph, I simply felt like calling, though I’m surprised you answered so quickly. Guess you don’t have much to do with your life.
: Not at all. I actually keep quite the busy schedule.
: So you say, but not busy enough that you can’t stay planted in front of a monitor apparently. Maybe I ought to call you up at random and mess with your sleeping hours?
: I hope you won’t, as I’d prefer to keep the unpleasantries to a bare minimum. Mind, I might start considering it if you continue being so unreasonable.
: What’ll it be, then? Drugs? Hypnosis? Or just plain old torture? Do your worst! I’ll kick the bucket before you even get started!
: Please, you need not worry. I’d never do anything taxing on your body.
: Why don’t you take a quick nap, Professor? And do look forward to when you wake up.
: What are you up to, weasel?!
: Could I ask you to stop calling me that? You don’t know my name or even seen my face.
: Next time you call me… could you please go with “Mr. President”?
: Wh…at…? Hrk… my head’s going…!

*Thud.*

: Excellency, the brain wave scanner is ready.
: Very good. You may start right away.

Back at JUDA, Maki and Rachel have called Ichitaka over as they’ve found some info that’s seemingly related to sponsoring Grife received in his research. It’s not much, but it’s a first step! Now, does he remember those nixed upgrade plans for Alice that they found while analyzing his painting? They found a commonality among all those plans.
See, the nixed plans would’ve all used materials created by a single enterprise: GreAT Corporation. And they mean ALL the materials, down to the tiniest bits. Ichitaka’s heard of that company: “Providers of your every need, from groceries to toilets!” Rachel isn’t sure about that slogan, but they ARE known worldwide as a very prolific company. Still, Maki says that where GreAT truly struck gold and grew into a huge multinational was as a manufacturer of mechanical parts.
As it turns out, they apparently supplied the professor with everything he needed for absolutely free – and he needed a lot of stuff. GreAT even gave him items they don’t usually manufacture, so it’s pretty clear there was something going on between Grife and that company.

But Maki and Rachel couldn’t find what reason there was to cause the professor to call off the whole thing as suddenly as he did. It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the quality of the materials, though.
Still, if we can figure out what Grife was researching, we might figure out why he was kidnapped and by whom. Rachel’ll have JUDA’s intelligence department look into GreAT and even poke around other companies that might’ve done some industrial espionage into the guys.
Ichitaka’s very thankful, but Maki tells him to save it until they’ve finished their work. In the meantime, Kouichi’s waiting for him.

Outside JUDA, everyone’s already waiting for Ichitaka and Kouichi. Yamashita suggest them watch it as, were this a mission briefing, Reiji would’ve been piiiissed. Kouichi promises to treat him to some curry bread by way of apology, and Ichitaka says it was his fault. Regardless, Ishigami tells them to let it go and beckons Miu to speak.
She officially welcomes Kouichi and Nagisa to LOTUS’ living quarters, and Nagisa’s rather surprised at how fancy the place looks for housing some pilots. The LOTUS folks have it good, she sees!
And there’s even a big fluffy dog around the place, which Nagisa is so enamored with. Looks a bit too old to be a watchdog, though…

Actually, it’s the dorm manager’s pet but we’re free to think of it as one of the team’s mascot. Wait, dorm? Wasn’t it supposed to be some living quarters for the pilots? Yamashita explains that, originally, this was JUDA’s company dorms, but they figured it’d make a good place for the LOTUS folk.
Goh says the mechanics also live here, though they’re back at the Dannar Base at the moment. In other words, these dorms house everyone working with LOTUS. Does that mean Emi’s here, too, Kouichi wonders. She on his mind? N-no, not really.

Either way, Ishigami hands over the card keys to their rooms and Nagisa and Iczer-1 take off to take a look. Ichitaka offers to show Kouichi around as the building’s rather unique shape makes it a bit difficult to get around.
Ishigami stops shot a bit upon hearing they’ll be going together. There a problem? No, he’s just worried about potential injuries. Huh?

: Alright, over here’s my room so yours should be just around the corner.
: Thanks much, Ichitaka.
: There’re a bunch of devices around the rooms, but it all comes with a manual, so you oughta be able to figure it out. Anything you don’t get, just call and I’ll come over.
: Hey, I’ll be alright – I’m not a baby.
: Yo, Ichitaka! You said you bought this new manga, right? Can I borrow it some?
: Oh, Kenji. Sure thing, just gimme a sec to get it.

*Couple minutes ahead…*

: Let’s see, 203… 203…
: Ah, here we go!

*Cha-chunk!*

: OK! From this day onward, this shall be my cas…tle…?
: Waaaaaaaaa?!
: (Why… Why’s Emi in my room… naked?!)
: What is it, Kouichi?!
: Something happen?!
: Y-You…
: Gch?! Emi?!
: Hu-Huuge…!
: You’re all despicable!!

*Slap! Slap! Punch!*

So, Kouichi’s back at the infirmary while Ichitaka and Kenji got off with some slight bruising. Nagisa’s not amused, as she thought the Cthulhu had attacked again. Rachel shakes her head at them, but Ichitaka insists he’s just an innocent victim here. Is he? She’s inclined to think otherwise, looking at Kenji: “I’m hurting a bit, but it’s fair price for the great view. Heeheehee…”
Maybe Tsubaki should give him some more serious bruises, then? N-No, he was just kidding! Just kidding! Ishigami is so very apologetic to Emi, saying he “made a mistake” when handing out the card keys. Uh-huh, and what was he telling Ichitaka about being worried about potential bruises? Did he give the wrong keys on purpose?! Perish the thought! He’s the president of JUDA Corporation and would never do such a thing!
Yui tell Emi and the others not to worry as she’ll extract the truth from Ishigami. He yells that it’s all one huge misunderstanding – look into his eyes! – but Yui says she’ll hear his excuses at the office. Now march!

Yamashita sighs at the crazy CEO they have and at least Shizuru sees that Ichitaka and the others fell in the guy’s trap. It’s actually somewhat impressive, as the guy arranged it so Kouichi’s arrival in the room coincided perfectly with when Emi ended her bath.
Shizuna wouldn’t put it past Ishigami to have abused his security access to gather intel and set up this “surprise”. Wait, does that mean he could have risqué footage of everyone?! Thankfully, no, as Rachel explains to the panicking Ichitaka and Kenji that there are no hidden cameras around – he likely figured out Emi’s bath time from the water and electrical data.
“Psh, lame. And I was just thinking of asking the guy for a quick peek,” Kenji sighs. Tsubaki and Emi aren’t amused. Despicable, indeed.

By the Dannar Base, Shibakusa and the other mechanics have finished getting the Goh Okusaer all set up and Kiriko apologizes for calling them all the way back here. No problem, as just servicing one unit was pretty easy – much more so than the work they had to do on all our units. The actual problematic part comes now, though, and Momoko knows: the Goh Okusaer is a lot harder to control than the Neo, which is why they’d stashed the thing away.
Konami says she’s got it the other way around, as the Neo Okusaer was made BECAUSE the Goh Okusaer put such a heavy strain on the pilot. And who’ll pilot it? They’re considering Shizuru and Shibakusa figures she could handle it. Kagemaru asks if Kiriko would be fine with that, as he knows she was considering her daughter for it. Still, he won’t press her on that subject.
Kiriko takes Anna to be a pretty good candidate – even taking away her parental bias – but she’s still gone and Kiriko doesn’t know if she’ll return. Best not to put all their eggs on that basket, so Shibakusa will get the bot ready for Shizuru to use and will have it shipped to JUDA.

But there’s a new problem as an emergency call comes in: it’s Shukuyu, who reports that they’ve spotted the Menage Zero. It managed to shake them off and is headed straight our way! How the hell did that happen? Momoko gets some footage and they spot Lou’s Cosmo Diver.
The girl was supposed to be on our side, but she started blasting Shukuyu’s group and that’s how the Menage Zero got by. Lou’s been missing for two months already, having gone off in pursuit of the Menage Zero – Kiriko’s happy she’s safe but working together with the enemy isn’t the best.
Regardless, the Zero tends to show up wherever Mimetic Beasts do which means there’s a pretty good chance our area’ll be attacked by the things. We better watch it, thinks Shukuyu. Kiriko thanks her for the update and asks how her partner’s doing – he wasn’t hurt by the Menage Zero, was he?

No, Moukaku is still combined with her. He’s fine… and, then, he isn’t, promptly going crazy as all get out, demanding to know WHERE IS THE MENAGE ZEROOOOOO!
As the feed gets cut, Kiriko seems to have an idea of what happened. Knight and Ellis Valentine, as well as the Dancouga, should be around Dino Base, so Kiriko asks Kagemaru to get in touch ask for their help over there. The Dragon’s Hive guys owe us one. But what happens next…?

Back in town, things haven’t been a whole lot better for Anna: she’s been kicked out of ANOTHER apartment and just lost her job. Whatever will she do? Pinpin’s still around, but she hasn’t anything more for him to eat. This calls for a new job, fast.
Last one was at a restaurant that actually paid pretty nice, though she ended up punching the manager after he yelled that she needed to shorten her skirt about 10cm. Pinpin meows and she agrees that she wasn’t in the wrong there. Still, life sure is tough out there for a regular girl and she’s starting to regret running away from home… but there’s no place for her in the Dannar Base anymore.
And, to make things worse, she hasn’t seen Nagisa since that robot attack. She hopes she’s alright… An Eida add playing nearby, announcing a Christmas tour, reminds her of seeing one of these when she was last with Nagisa. She could go for an idol lifestyle right about now, as it’d mean she could stop looking for part-time jobs…

A voice suddenly asks her to wait a moment – is she actually getting scouted?! Her name’s Anna Aoi, she’s 17 years old, and her specialty is cooking sukiyaki! Actually, no, it’s Goh’s little brother Suzaku Kururugi Shinobu… and what was that about sukiyaki? N-nothing at all, pay her no mind, bye!
She doesn’t go far before Shinobu stops her from running. Anna yells that she’s not going back to Dannar Base, but Shinobu actually says that’s totally fine. He’s watched her work so hard, for so long, by herself, and he’s reached a point where he can’t just watch it all in silence anymore.
He’s on the verge of asking her to come with him when a bunch of explosions rain on his parade. What’s going on? Mimetic Beasts, and they’re coming for them!

Mission 10 (Rescue Route) – Engage, Godannar

: Anna, we need to run! It’s too dangerous here!
: Hold on! That’s…!

: Goh…!
: Anna, hurry! This way!
: There you are, Mimetic Beasts! Sorry, but we’ll be keeping this town safe from you!
: Goh, there’s a good chance the Menage Zero’ll also turn up. If he does, don’t rush him by yourself, please.
: I know, but the Cosmo Diver… Lou’s also with him. If he shows his face, I’ll want to settle that score here and now.
: (His defeat to the Menage Zero left deep wounds in his spirit… They should be healed, but…)
: Nagisa, please keep on standby until I summon the Iczer Robo (130 morale).
: OK, you got it.
: Kouichi, weren’t you hospitalized after Emi’s punch?
: “Hospitalized”, he says… Heh, don’t worry about me. I’m pretty hardy, you know.
: All Factors carry D-S.O.I.L nanomachines inside their bodies, and those heal any wounds pretty much instantly. So depending on our D-S.O.I.L.’s activity rate, we’re almost unkillable.
: Aah, I see how it is – you guys are pretty much all supermen and superwomen, then.
: Our enemies are dead ahead. Cut the chatter.
: Alright, time for a good ol’ fashioned Mimetic Beast extermination. Let’s jump right in there!

*Beep, beep!*

: Wait a sec there! Some new heat signals incoming!
: … Here he comes.

: That’s it, alright… the Menage Zero!
: And the Cosmo Diver!
: Lou…?! She was with the Menage Zero these past two months?!
: Don’t let them close in on you, Lou! (Ken)
: Roger!
: Here I come, Mimetic Beasts! Haah!

: You’re not the one!
: Menage Zero…!
: Away. We’ve already had our duel, and you’ve been found wanting.
: So stay there and do not interfere with my battle!
: I can’t do that. Rather, I’ll take down those Mimetic Beasts, you, and get Lou back!
: If you won’t heed my warning, then I’ll give you no quarter!
: Goh, wait! I’ll go in first!

: Aargh!
: Don't, Mira!
: As you wish. I’ll start with you, then!

*Ken steps towards Mira.*

: Mira, get back!

*The Godannar powers down.*

: Goh!!
: Can you move?
: Y-Yes, I’m fine… my unit’s falling apart, though…!
: Pull back to base. You can’t fight after that!
: But…
: Hurry! Do you want me to lose my nerve again?!
: …!
: Don’t push your luck, Mira – pull back. We’ll take care of Goh.
: Alright… stay alive, everyone.

: The Okusaer…!
: Come on, Anna! Let’s get out of here!
: No, I have to go…
: Go where?!
: Ah…
: (That’s right… Where would I go? There’s nowhere I belong… I still act like I’m a pilot, but I’m the one who ran off like that… and I’ve know that for a long time.)
: (Yet… What’s this I’m feeling?)
: Anna, you don’t have to force yourself to fight! Being a pilot’s not who you are!
: Just forget my brother and we’ll go live in peace!
: …You’re wrong. I want to pilot a robot…
: Huh?
: I’ve just remembered something… Ever since I was a kid, before I even met Goh…I’ve always dreamed of being a pilot…!
: Anna…
: (I’ve been lying to myself all this time… I’d been projecting my insecurities as a pilot onto Goh and twisting my own dreams…)
: (I’m not as good a pilot as the others, so I blamed everything on Goh’s past and ran away… I didn’t lose where I belonged – rather, I’d turned my back on my dream!)
: … Shinobu!
: Yeah?!
: Take me back to the Dannar Base! I’m no running anymore. I’ll fight!
: Are you sure about this, Anna?
: Absolutely. If I ran away now, I’d regret it the rest of my life!
: … Alright. Come on, Anna. I’ve left my bike not far from here!
: OK!
: How’re you holding up in there, Goh?!
: I’m fine, but the Dannar’s drive systems are out. I’m running some makeshift repairs, so you folks’ll have to handle this by yourselves for a bit! Sorry!
: (I need to hurry… I’ve a responsibility to get to Lou and scold her for what she’s done!)
: Troops, cover the Godannar and destroy the Mimetic Beasts and the Menage Zero. Feel free to disregard the Cosmo Diver.
: We gotta fight the guy that beat the Godannar to a pulp before…?
: Kouichi, your heart-rate’s rising. Are you afraid?
: N-No way! I was just thinking that this is the perfect guy to take down on my debut!
: Hah, I reckon you’re doing OK if you’re running your mouth like that. Watch our backs and we’ll watch yours, rookie.
: If you choose to retreat without any issues, I’ll allow it… Oppose me, however, and you’ll find only death!

Destroy everything while protecting Goh and Kouichi – the former’s your biggest risk as you can’t even cast spirit commands with him. Ken’ll ignore him while there are Mimetic Beasts to kill, but the beasties themselves won’t; so either jump in there and keep them away, or keep a group like Ichitaka/Miu near him as a safety net.
You’ll eventually have to deal with Ken and he’ll retreat under 8k HP. As Reiji said, you COULD totally ignore Lou, but, of course, there’s a catch – suffice to say you’ll want to leave Ken and Lou for last. For now, don’t kill her and don’t bring him below that HP threshold.

Blade Gainer (Ken)
Pilot Skills:
Sword Cut
Predict
Prevail L4
Support Attack L1
Support Defense L1

Cosmo Diver (Lou Roux)
Pilot Skills:
Prevail L2
Support Attack L1
Support Defense L2

Ken’s pretty good, in that he’s about tied with Goh on most stats (he’s got a bit more on some, less on others) and the Blade Gainer’s both beefy and hits decently hard. Not as hard as Iczer-2, but still. His main issue is the same as Goh’s though: very short range. The best he’s got is 1-3 and we have a lot of folks who can beat that.
Prevail and Predict means he’s rather accurate, but he’s not all that dangerous. If you wanna take him out, though, you’ll have to go with the standard practice of having someone bust Fighting Spirit with a support from Ichitaka or whoever.
As for Lou, she’s not all that great. Better range than Ken but way less stats, power and resilience.

But, as I said, we’ll be ignoring them for now and moving everyone towards the Mimetic Beasts.

Enemy Phase!

In come the little guys.

HEY!

: Please stay out of our way! I don’t want to fight you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oExYoNGu1w
Youcameaftermegoddamnit.
Still, there’s no problem with us taking potshots at her – it’s only Ken that runs off after a point. Speaking of, he runs over to Lou’s side.

Player Phase!

: Eh? Did Mira comeback?
: Look again, Kenji. It's similar to the Neo Okusaer, but that’s a different unit!
: Is that… the Goh Okusaer?! Mira, why’re you piloting that thing?!
: It’s not Mira in here!
: A-Anna?!
: I’m back, Goh! And I’m here to help!
: Absolutely not! Get off this battlefield!
: I’m so sorry, Goh… I know—
: No, you don’t! Do you have any idea the trouble you’ve put everyone through running off for over two months?! How many people were endangered?!
: I’m really sorry! I just—
: No, what you did was inexcusable! You’ve no right to pilot that robot!
: You don’t think I know that?! That’s why I didn’t come back all this time!
: Hey, hey, hey, hey! We appreciate any extra help, but can anyone explain what’s going on?! Just who’re you?!
: We’re talking, if you can’t tell! And who are you? What’s your deal with Goh?
: Keeping it short, the girl piloting the Goh Okusaer’s Anna Saruwatari… Goh’s wife.
: Whaat?! But she looks not that much older than us!
: Wait up, did you say Anna…? Anna Aoi?!
: Nagisa?! So you were alright… thank goodness.
: I am, yes, but never mind me! How’re you a pilot and married?! Was that why you said all that weird stuff back then?
: Um… I might’ve kept a few secrets. Sorry!
: We don’t have a lot of time to catch up now, but I’ll fight these with you!
: Stop right there! I haven’t okayed your reinstatement!
: Uurgh! You’re so pigheaded!
: While you’re very irresponsible!

*Beep!*

: That’s enough bickering, you two. This is hardly the time for that, don’t you think?
: Professor! Why’s she in the Goh Okusaer?!
: Because I felt it was necessary. Besides, weren’t you waiting for her to come back?
: That doesn’t mean I want her reinstated as a pilot!
: The Dannar Base is part of LOTUS, so you don’t get a say in this matter.
: And what you should be focusing on right now is on finishing your repairs!
: … Roger that!
: I also have plenty to say to you, Anna. Normally, like Goh said, you wouldn’t be allowed in that cockpit.
: … I know.
: Then you’d best pull your weight and then some if you want to redeem yourself!
: Yes, ma’am!
: And, Anna, that mech was set up for Shizuru to use, so it might not be the best fit for you. I reckon the seat, in particular, will be too wide, but just bear with it for now!
: Shiba!
: No worries. I can fight just fine with it!
: And keep the Plasma Drive at level 6 or lower – any more than that and you won’t be able to control it!
: Roger!
: The rest is up to you, folks!
: Copy that. All troops, engage and destroy the Mimetic Beasts and Menage Zero!

Goh Okusaer (Anna Saruwatari)
Pilot Skills:
Prevail L3
Support Attack L1
Support Defense L2
Spirit Commands:
Alert
Iron Wall
Strike
Mech Features:
Angel Wall
Squad Bonus: Mobility +5, money earned+10%

At least Anna gets the claim the “Goh Wifebot” to show Mira what’s what. The bot itself is, as you might expect, the Neo Okusaer but better.
Anna and Mira themselves are pretty similar, with slight variations in stats. Anna’s clearly built as the more defensive pilot with that Iron Wall, while Mira’s more offense-oriented with her Accel and whatnot.
The loss of Accel isn’t too good for Goh, but we’ll have to make do – if anything, the Goh Okusaer’s squad bonus will get movement+1/+2 at 50/100% upgrades, so you can compensate for it some. Extra money’s always nice, too, especially with how the AI’s drawn to big HP pools.

Also, take note of this:

:siren: Secret Alert! :siren:
You’ll want to take Lou down with either Anna or Goh (when he’s back). Remember, she’ll run off when Ken does, so handle her first.

So let’s get to work. Kenji follows up Reiji’s initial attack.

There goes the leader.

Yagyuu can’t quite finish the leader off, so Yamashita takes it.

Enemy Phase!

Here they come.

Four groups get weakened. Kenji takes a kill and, of course, Ichitaka’s ever the mook magnet: he takes two kills (because I held back) and weakens many more.

Ken also draws in a lot of attention.

: You’re in my way! Move!

All three groups of Type 13 Mimetic Beasts run in and Lou readily support defends him twice. Make sure you take that into account as you hit back on her attacks.

Player Phase!

Goh’s finished his repairs and is back in action. Kagemaru wants him to combine with the Goh Okusaer right away but Kiriko says it’s too soon: she wants to see if the girl can actually handle the unit.
Furthermore, Goh outright refuses to combine with Anna. Kouichi looks on at how angry the guy’s gotten since his wife came back. Will he be alright?

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 5, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Moving along, with stuff softened up, we can go to town. Goh takes one, Anna guns for another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le9_vzqsuvs
Her barrier holds even better than Mira’s with her stats. Yamashita and Shizuna claim this group’s survivor.

And we need to clear the area around Ken and Lou, lest the things do too much damage for comfort.

: I’ve really been reborn this time!

Kouichi can shrug off damage just fine, but these beasties draining his EN’ll make for an annoyance if it piles on.
Jeeg, Ichitaka and Shizuru get rid of the last mooks by that area.

Iczer-1 and Yagyuu are holding the line down here. One kill for the former.

Enemy Phase!

Here come the big ones.

He takes two of the little guys when they attack.
Cut back to Ichitaka, the enemy mob is still failing to do any lasting damage – one for him, one for Miu.

Player Phase!

Lou’s already around 30% HP, so let’s deal with her quickly.

: Get off the Cosmo Diver, Lou! There’s absolutely no reason for you to be fighting!
: You have a family, Anna, so I don’ expect you to understand how I feel…!
: And don’t you have a family too? What about me and Goh?!
: … No, I don’t! Leave me alone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6lRdJpEOU

: Why are you with the Menage Zero, Lou?! Come back to the Dannar Base!
: You never taught me anything – rather, you always treated me like a kid! I won’t go back to living with people like that!
: Quit being so selfish, Lou! You are a kid and that means listening to the grown-ups!

: Lou! Get off the Cosmo Diver and lets all just go back to the Dannar Base!
: No, I won’t…! I won’t go back until I’ve avenged my dad…!
: Lou!
: Can you move, Lou? Pull back.
: OK!

: LOU! drat it, why aren’t you listening to us?!

With that done, we’ll simply spend the turn clearing out the remaining Beasts (focus fire the bigger ones) and move to take Ken out.

Fast forward!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HzdVxtLU1c
Iczer-1 herself gained a new strongest attack now that Nagisa’s with her! :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUJbfygFjsI
And here’s the ACTUAL full power Executor blast plus DK – I’m sure the city’ll be fine.

Ken had actually taken quite a beating over the fight (he did try attacking my guys once or twice), so he’s rather close to his threshold by the time I get to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_8Co4iGjK8
Listen, it’s written the way it’s written. Best I could find was a JP forum suggesting it’s like Strike+Slash.

I actually needed to spend one more turn trying to get him into a better position. Goh can’t pull the necessary numbers without combining and Kenji’s doing pretty well, so I decided to give this kill for Kouichi.

Ichitaka: “Lemme handle this, Kouichi!”

And we get a Predict skill part and some nice cash for our troubles.

Kouichi also learns Assail (突撃 – can use pre-movement attacks after moving) and Prevail L3.

: Hmph. I won’t fall to… urk!
: (Wh-What… my body’s… Is this…?!)
: (No… I cannot die yet, not before I’ve carried out my mission. I…!)

: And that’s a wrap. The Menage Zero ran off but the town didn’t take a whole lot of damage, so I reckon that’s a pretty good way to end things.
: Hold on now. Remember last time, when there was one Mimetic Beast hiding around?
: Hm. It’s too soon to let our guard down.

*Beep, beep!*

: I knew! Got one on radar – it’s…

: Right under the Godannar!
: Gaaaaaaaaaaaah!
: Watch out, Goh!

: Thanks, Kouichi. I owe you one!
: Sorry, Goh, I didn’t get there fast enough…!
: You’ll need to use the Twin Drive to take that one out, Goh, Anna. Combine!
: But Professor…
: Sorry, Mr. Moritsugu, but can you just play along?
: …As you wish.
: Troops, support the Godannar’s combination! Once it’s complete, immediately engage and destroy the Mimetic Beast!
: Roger that! Come on, Goh!
: No! I won’t combine with someone as irresponsible as you!
: You’re still stuck on that, you blockhead?! Weren’t you so very willing to combine with Mira?!
: Don’t bring her into this! I can count on her, unlike you!
: Aargh, that’s IT! It was because of that attitude of yours that things went south for us!
: What?! So it’s my fault now?!
: Oi… There they go again…
: Who has a lovers’ spat while a whole battle’s going on…?
: I hate how rude you are! And I hate your chin! Why’s it so big for no drat reason?!
: And I can’t stand how bratty you are! Or how self-centered you are! Or how long your baths take!
: Oh, speaking of baths, I hate how you like to just get out and waltz around the house naked!
: While I can’t stand how preachy you are! You’re a senior in high school, for crying out loud!
: I hate, hate how you only change your socks after a few days!
: It annoys me to no end that you’ve so much more money saved up than me!
: And it REALLY grinds my gears just how nice you are to all women you meet!
: Um… I don’t think we should be listening in on this…
: But we should still watch them. Do you not feel it, Nagisa? The beautiful emotions irradiating from them…?
: And could you not start eating dinner before I even sit at the table?!
: Well, I don’t care what you think!
: Right back at you!
: Oof... they just keep going and going.
: I don’t give a drat about whatever you say, because I already knew you inside out!
: … Alright! Let’s combine, Anna!
: OK, Goh!

*Both bots pull back.*

: Huuh?! What just happened? Weren’t you fighting?!
: Drive change, GO!
: Drive change, GO!

: AAAH!
: Crap, the Plasma Drive’s gone over level 6!

: WAAAAH!
: She really can’t control it?
: (Goh, Anna… Prove to us all the strength of the ties that bind you!)
: Get in there, Goh! Show how a big-time hero does things!
: B-But the chances of a successful combination like that are…
: Um… It’s 50%!

: No, it’s not! It’s 200% with the two of us!
: (I-I won’t let this beat me… I’ll master the Goh Okusaer… and surpass her! I… I wanna outshine Mira!)

: Keep at it, Anna! I swear I can handle whatever you dish out! If you’ve got the spirit of a pilot, then fly with all your heart!

: Goh!
: Anna!

: Dannar… ON!
: Revolveeeer… OPEN!

: Godannar! TWIN DRIVE!!
: …Hah…
: They pulled it off!
: Daaamn, their power's just filling this whole area!
: Must be nice…
: I feel it now… I’m back!
: We’ll take him out with a single punch, Anna!
: Aye, aye!
: HAAAAAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMxJTPHh87w

: We did it, Anna! … Hey, Anna?!
: Passed out, huh…?
: Do I zap her?
: No, just let her rest. I’ll keep watch ‘til she comes to.
: … Welcome back, Anna. This is where you belong.
: (Welcome back, Anna… But now your real fight begins…)
: Any Mimetic Beast signals, Yamashita?
: All clear. I think we’re good.
: Good, ‘cause I’m hungry as hell after that. Let’s get back to JUDA.
: We should, yeah. And I guess we’ll have more sushi waiting now that Goh’s wife came back.
: Hahah… Guess I’ll have to wait ‘til later to have Anna’s homemade cooking again. All the better for her to rest, I guess.
: Hold on please.
: What is it, Professor?
: I’ve something important to speak of. Mr. Moritsugu, can you all stop by the Dannar Base?
: Bad news, I presume?
: It’s about some information that just came in. I don’t meant to rain on your parade, but this needs to be spoken of.
: Understood. We’ll head to the Dannar Base right away.

Had we attacked Ken with Goh, they had this convo:

: I’ll be beating you this time, Menage Zero!
: Fool. Fight as many times as you’d like, it won’t change the outcome. You cannot defeat me!
: I’m not the same man I was when I lost back then! Come on!

Anna wakes up at the Dannar Base infirmary and is welcomed by a very relieved Nagisa. Iczer-1 greets her as well and, when she asks, Kouichi explains where they are. Anna, realizing she fainted, wonders if that might’ve angered Goh. Speaking of, Nagisa’s still annoyed that she didn’t say anything about being married and wants to Anna to come clean now that stuff’s calmed down.
Anna, apologizing again, says she WANTED to tell her but also wanted to avoid the fuss that’d obviously come if her schoolmates found out about her marriage and being a pilot. Nagisa figures having an argument that the entire town can hear would make for an even bigger fuss, but hey. Anna asks that she forget that.
Hearing that the big hero from the War of Giants walks around home naked and doesn’t change his socks kind of crushed Kouichi’s idealized CHAMPION OF JUSTICE image, though. “Oh, no, Goh isn’t anywhere near that kind of perfect superman,” Anna laughs. “He can’t do anything without me.” Well, Goh DID say that he was just a pilot before.

Kouichi introduces himself properly to her and apologizes for stealing her spotlight, saving Goh from what surprise attack. On the contrary, Anna thanks him a lot for doing so and Nagisa has a laugh at the flustered kid. Still, Iczer-1 inwardly notes that he’s acting like a fine Champion of Justice now – he’s long-time wish has been granted.
Shinobu runs in, glad to see Anna’s OK. He takes a look around and notices that Goh isn’t here. Just what is he doing? His wife just came back. Iczer-1 explains that he’s been called to the command room by Kiriko.

So, what she wanted to speak to us about relates to Max and Moukaku – Ichitaka and Miu recognize those names as other heroes of the War of Giants. Max, in particular, was presumed KIA in said conflict five years ago, but was recently-ish found in a near-death state INSIDE a Mimetic Beast and brought back to life.
As it turns out, Mira explains, she went through the same thing and had been absorbed into a Mimetic Beast five years ago. That’s the first Ichitaka’s ever heard of that, though Kyo figures making an announcement of these miraculous returns would’ve raised all sorts of inopportune questions. Not to mention that Mira had lost her memories until not too long ago and, even now, her body’s still in bad shape.
In Max’s case, however, as soon as he came back to life, he stole the Core Gunner and went to kidnap Mira (though she doesn’t remember much of the event). And the guy was acting crazy when it all went down, and while Goh figures the guy resented him some, the man he saw then was completely out of control.

Why would he resent Goh, Kenji wonders? Because Max was in love with Mira since forever, but, five years ago, she got together with Goh. Yet he failed to protect her during the war, and Max never forgave him for it.
In the end, Shizuru says they captured Max, his body displaying myriad abnormalities, and tried to figure out what had happened. Kiriko has some bad news, though: both Max and Moukaku have just died. The latter having shown the same physical abnormalities and loss of mental control as Max – it’s pretty clear that their death was caused by the worsening of whatever condition they had.

Mind you, Kagemaru remembers that Shadow, an operative of Silicon Base, also displayed the same symptoms but barely managed to survive. Yet another heroine of the War of Giants, Yamashita sees.
Kenji was thinking that that disease affected those who’d been absorbed by Mimetic Beasts, like Max, but Moukaku and Shadow hadn’t been, right? Indeed, Kiriko will explain and turns on a video: it depicts the so called “Insania Virus”, a RNA virus that infects humans and the Mimetic Beasts are its vectors. Mira’s getting worried.

Next video is of Max, taken just moments before his death. When Shizuna asks, Kiriko confirms it: he got like this because of the Insania Virus. The disease itself is called Rabid Syndrome and it is caused by the thing. Good news is that the Insania Virus is innocuous to nearly everyone, except in some specific cases.
Reiji knows what’s coming: she wants to tell us about said specific cases. Namely, the Virus becomes active when the carrier displays unusually powerful fighting instincts – thus, the Rabid Syndrome occurs. From what they’ve seen, the odds of an infected person are extremely high especially amongst male pilots. Women CAN display the Syndrome but it is very rare – Shadow was a special case in that she took male hormones.
Seems to Yagyuu that the Insania Virus is a biological time bomb the Mimetic Beasts developed to kill their natural predators. And here comes the kicker: as Kiriko said, the virus is transmitted via the beasts and, as such, anyone who’s fought the things could potentially be infected… and we’ve fought them plenty.

Yamashita freaks out: does that mean we could all be infected?! Indeed. Alice protests that she’s regularly checked everyone’s health and no one was displaying any symptoms, but Kiriko explains that the virus hides amid the host’s neurons. Plus, cases of it going active are exceedingly rare, so common exams won’t pick it up.
Meaning Kiriko wants everyone in LOTUS to undergo specific tests to check who’s infected and the chance of the Insania Virus going active. We can’t risk losing anyone else to the thing. Miu’s really scared now, but Kagemaru tells that even if we’re infected, we shouldn’t be at a big risk of it going active. For real? He wouldn’t lie about something this serious – now go get tested.

A nondescript time later, the results are in: while there are some of us who are already infected, we, indeed, aren’t at a risk of it activating… except for Goh. He’s actually very likely to trigger the Rabid Syndrome. See, Goh pilots the same kind of robot as the two people who’ve fallen to the disease and, worse, he’s by far the person who’s come into contact with the most Mimetic Beasts.
Thus, Kiriko has no choice: “Goh, you are to step down as the Godannar’s pilot. That’s a direct order.” Goh flips out, but Kagemaru reminds him of what happened to Max – if he keeps fighting, that’s how he’ll end up as. Are they ordering him to retire as a pilot?! More like they want him to take a vacation – a potentially long one – until we’ve figured out a treatment for the thing.
Goh still isn’t happy, so Reiji has some intel to relay to him: it seems that when Moukaku lost control, he went and started attacking his own allies. Unable to contain him, the Dragliner and Dancouga had to kill him. In other words, Moukaku died at the hands of his own friends.

Kiriko confirms that there was no other way, and Kagemaru raises the point: were Goh to go on a rampage with the Godannar, who would be forced to stop him? Goh easily sees his point. That doesn’t mean he’ll have to part was with LOTUS, mind, as Kiriko has reassigned him as a pilot instructor and tactical advisor for the team. Still important duties, only not in the battlefield.
As for the Godannar, Kiriko’s having Shizuru take over as its pilot – it wouldn’t do to leave the mech stored away. This may only be temporary, but until we’ve a better idea of how to treat Goh, we’ll have to treat this as a proper reassignment.
Shizuru’ll now have to undergo training to learn how to combine with the Okusaers and she promises to work hard such as to not hamper the team. With that done, Kiriko apologizes to Reiji for demanding we come over and relays her regards to Ishigami.
As we leave, Kiriko is worried about the LOTUS folks that stayed in space – specially the Combattler guys. She asks Momoka and Konami to get in touch with any and all countries – including the PLANTs – and help them set up their Insania Virus tests.

Kouichi’s very bummed out over what happened to Goh, and while Yamashita understands how he feels, staying like that won’t help anyone. Still, he can’t stand the sight of the guy getting hung out to dry as if he were some rookie like him. Isn’t there anything we can do?
Izuna says Goh’s been working by himself, wholly focused on his new jobs, so he doesn’t think anyone could get to him, really. The guy’s likely doing that to drown out the bad, and it’s hard for Ichitaka to see him like that.
That’s worsened, even, by the fact that he and Anna had finally managed to reconcile. We now need to be there for him and Tsubaki and Miu tell everyone not to look so down, lest Goh feel responsible for it.

All he has left at the moment is his work, so maybe we can lift his spirits some by working hard to improve ourselves with him. Yamashita makes special note for Kouichi not to screw things up on pilot training and disappoint Goh!
Well, he and Ichitaka figures a tag team of Reiji and Goh training them oughta make for some drat good progress on us – we’ll have both skill and strength covered. We’ll have to strive to keep that positive attitude until a cure’s found, Miu says, and Shizuna is certain it won’t take long for that with JUDA on the case.

Anna’s off in the pilot sim and the seat’s just perfect for her, compared to what the Goh Okusaer had. Well, Shibakusa says she’s still young – give a few years and she might get a butt to rival Shizuru’s. Just give him a holler if the seat starts getting too tight!
Touko and Nanae yank at his ears for talking like that to a married woman, but he swears that he didn’t mean anything like that – kids these days read too much into things. Nagisa shows up as Anna starts training (having some difficulty).

She’s working pretty hard and all signs point at Mira being the cause. From what Nagisa’s heard, the amnesiac Mira’s mind had regressed to an infant-like state and Anna took care of her during that time; she didn’t stop even after finding out that she was Goh’s ex, even.
Problem is, when Mira made a full recover during Anna’s absence, she became her rival in both work and love. The two women don’t seem ready to have an honest talk with one another, and Goh isn’t exactly in a condition to arrange that sort of thing.

Now we’re left with one woman who came back from the dead to find out he ex married someone else, and the other woman who’s developed a complex over the previous one. Complicated stuff.
Speaking off, Anna’s getting trounced by the sim. Shibakusa says he understands that she’s working hard to make up for us losing Goh, but she’s not beating an S-Rank simulation – especially considering how hard it is to handle the Goh Okusaer.

Anna’s not having it, though, saying she’ll only hold us back if she can’t deal with this – she’s got to recover from her absence and get used to her bot in preparation to combine with Shizuru. Again!
Shibakusa sighs and does as told, Touko and Nanae worried over how hard she’s pushing herself. “I’ve never seen Goh look so sad before… I wanna be able to help him. I wanna support him! And, for that, have to get a lot stronger!” she thinks to herself. “Goh… I’ll work hard, and I’ll fight enough for both of us!”

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 5, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Brunom1 posted:

: Eh? Did Mira comeback?
: Look again, Kenji. That might look like the Neo Okusaer but it’s a different unit!

:words:

: And, Anna, that mech was set up for Shizuru to use, so it might not be the best fit for you. I reckon the seat, in particular, will be too wide, but just bear with it for now!
: Shiba!

I don't think Kenji has a split personality.

Also, I've clearly seen too much of Godannar if I don't even bat an eye at the butt joke.

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 5, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Inferno-sama posted:

I don't think Kenji has a split personality.

Also, I've clearly seen too much of Godannar if I don't even bat an eye at the butt joke.

Well, it IS a recurring joke with Shizuru.

And, yeah, that was supposed to be Tsubaki.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Between Kenji being obsessed with titties, Kouichi walking in on Emi, all of the butt jokes in Godannar, and the sheer volume of skintight pilot suits for the girls in various series some of which even have boob windows...

This sure is a sexed up SRW game huh?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Godannar is kind of in a league of its own on that front, though.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Didn't Godannar release a hentai because they needed more money for the second season?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Logicblade posted:

Didn't Godannar release a hentai because they needed more money for the second season?

Yup

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Alacron posted:

Between Kenji being obsessed with titties, Kouichi walking in on Emi, all of the butt jokes in Godannar, and the sheer volume of skintight pilot suits for the girls in various series some of which even have boob windows...

This sure is a sexed up SRW game huh?

Fun fact: Kouichi walking in on Emi is a *plot point* in the original story, because it was done after the two of them had met at school when she conveniently transferred to his school, but before he learned that she was working with Juda, so it's actually his first clue that she's more than she seems. It's only some time after that that he learns about her relation to Linebarrel and her role in turning him into a Factor (by killing him), and he's downright furious about everything she'd been keeping from him, which helps spark her own character development in turn.

Alas, that obviously isn't happening here, so everyone just comes off looking stupid.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Okay, okay, I think I've figured out the plot of Linebarrels the anime. Take everything from the manga, distort it until it looks nothing like it originally did, then show it on TV. Did I get that right?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Logicblade posted:

:catstare: wat

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I loving love the Cosmo Diver :3: Lou is right to be upset it doesn't get more screentime.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Inferno-sama posted:

Okay, okay, I think I've figured out the plot of Linebarrels the anime. Take everything from the manga, distort it until it looks nothing like it originally did, then show it on TV. Did I get that right?

I haven't seen the anime so my main point of comparison is this LP, but yes, basically.

Consider this, the very beginning is totally different. Whiny, bullied Koichi would be horribly out of place in the manga, where we immediately start with Factor Koichi on a giant power-trip, and absolutely as the Nº1 bully of his school, picking fights with his gang because he could and it made him (in his own eyes alone) an ALLY OF JUSTICE. Hell, Koichi being bullied by Furuya is really loving weird because in the manga Furuya is Koichi's underling, if one that's very unhappy about it. Also Emi being the one that has to call the Linebarrel and not Koichi doesn't fit how the manga works at all, where Koichi has complete control over that and Emi calling it later is actually a very big deal because it destroys her masquerade.

And from what I read what's coming later just completely fucks up everything in favour of a much worse plot, so I'm looking forward to it if only to see how SRW tries to save that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It makes more sense when you recall that the character designer for Godannar (as well as GaoGaiGar, Gun X Sword, and Code Geass to name a few others) is a hentai artist in his own right, more well known for the Viper series of hentai games produced by the now defunct company Sogna.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AradoBalanga posted:

It makes more sense when you recall that the character designer for Godannar (as well as GaoGaiGar, Gun X Sword, and Code Geass to name a few others) is a hentai artist in his own right, more well known for the Viper series of hentai games produced by the now defunct company Sogna.

To be frank, a lot of artists in both japan and the west got their start doing porn. I mean I think DC recently hired some dickgirl artist. That's just the world we live in, the person who's drawings you like probably also drew something for the spankbank

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alright, time to close off the Retreat Route. Still a tight race between our top aces, but it won’t really matter as I’ll be keeping the other path (better cash, drops, secrets, etc).

We’ll be having a water-centric mission next, so you’ll want to make sure as many of your guys as possible can be airborne or move properly on water:
Tetsuya/Jun
Ichitaka/Puria
Kouji/Boss
Combattler/Dick
Daiya/Yanma
Zechs/Noin
Ozma/Luca
Klan/Canaria
Voltes/Sayaka

I had Puria tag in with Ichitaka due to her allowing the partner to fly, and while I would’ve given Kouji the Crab Bunker for the underwater movement, I found that I’d rather have Daiya serve as my underwater hunter. The Gaiking moves farther, has better range, and hits harder overall than the Mazinger.
Alto and Michel are deploys as event units.

Let’s get going.

We open up with Luca managing to hook Ichitaka up with a call to JUDA, where he, Rachel and Maki have the same convo as before related to the GreAT Corporation and Grife’s cancelled research. Luca’s personally interested in why the professor cancelled the project if the supplied material wasn’t faulty – it’d be good knowledge, what with his work at L.A.I. Of course, our folks don’t know the answer.
Moreover, they also relay information about Yajima’s untimely death. Ichitaka would really like to speak with Kouichi about that, but we’re already gearing up for our offensive against the Vajra, so there’s no time. He’ll talk with him once he’s back at JUDA.
Once the call ends, Ichitaka tells of how Yajima helped him get over his depression after his parents died. Hearing that the guy’s dead doesn’t even feel real – they were together at school not too long ago. Inwardly, Luca wonders what he’d do if Nanase, Alto or Michel died… which is why he needs to do everything in his power to make sure that doesn’t happen.

Alto’s ran through some exams by the Quarter’s infirmary and Canaria expects him to be 100% in ten days – he didn’t get hurt much in the previous mission (and subsequent fight with Michel). Sheryl left in a hurry before he came over; maybe she didn’t want him to see her in that weakened state.
Canaria also figures Alto has some grievances to vent about Michel, though the guy figures this isn’t the place for it. Alice suggests he’ll feel better getting it all off his chest rather than bottling things up – it’s just the three of them in here and Canaria figures everyone’s entitled to grumble once in a while.
Alto sniffs that he’s not grumbling: he’s angry at Michel for being such a screw-up. The guy’s entire thing is hanging back and blasting stuff and he can’t even be relied on to pull that off?! If all he wants is to make some cash and flirt with women, the he oughta be elsewhere. Why the hell is someone like him working with the SMS?

Canaria says everyone has a reason to being here, and both she and Alice figure that it’s same with Alto; the girl heard how he volunteered to join the SMS, even. Inwardly, he ponders how he didn’t like being an actor, how he wanted to defend the Frontier and fly across the sky – but, still, he’s not here because he enjoys fighting or to escape from his family.
Klan, then, enters the room with Juzo and Ippei in tow, and they can see by his frown that he’s thinking about Michel. And how could he not, when the guy almost got him killed? That’s understandable, indeed, but Ippei asks him to first listen what Klan has to say.
Is she going to tell him about that, Canaria wonders, and Klan asks Alto if he cares for Michel. Does he hate his guts, want him to drop dead, Juzo also asks. Of course not, drat it. Then Klan wants him to listen up.

Michel lost his parents at an early age, so he was mostly raised by his older sister, Jessica – they were very close. Alto figures Klan would know, having been friends with the guy since they were kids. Indeed, and she remembers that Jessica was a great sniper… however, during one mission, she wound up shooting a friendly. Worst, he was her superior officer and lover.
Worse STILL, he’d broken up with her right before said incident, which raised a lot of questions with the army regarding intent. Jessica was court-martialed and, ultimately, killed herself. Ippei and Juzo only now found out that about this, too, though Ippei knew there was something.
So Michel took on her mantle as a sniper and Klan figures he’s still looking for the truth behind that friendly fire incident.

Later on, we’re just about ready to start our operation and Jeffrey’s giving us the rundown: our two objectives here are to destroy the Vajra flock and rescue Ranka. Alto will be leading the charge to bust inside the Knight Vajra the girl’s inside, Michel backing him up.
Durandal and Meer, by the Daiku Maryu, wish us the best of luck and to make sure we all make it through this alive. Kenichi’s sure that the two pilots will bring Ranka back, though Michel has a question for him: “if both Ranka and Earth hung in the balance, you’d pick Earth, wouldn’t you?”
Where’d that come from? Well, Michel’s heard that, in the past, when the Boazanians took his father hostage, he and the rest of the Voltes team were willing to let him die in order to protect Earth. Kenichi says they were backed against a wall there, which is why they had to make such a horrible choice.
“But you’ll have all of us right there with you. So you and Alto think only of saving Ranka, and let us handle everything else,” he says. “Right – because we’re a team… friends, even,” Megumi adds. Michel’s still looking a bit uneasy, though.

Ichitaka can see that he still hasn’t patched things up with Alto, and Alice confirms to Luca that the guy’s been told what happened. Ichitaka doesn’t know what’s up and Alice tells him to get Michel’s permission first. She won’t gossip about private matters! Well, he’s not about to pry but it’s tough to see the two guys like that.
Dick, however, thinks things are going to get very amusing. Daiya and Puria don’t appreciate that, especially considering how he attacked them way back when, but he says that’s not what he was getting at – he’s not getting a kick out of our issues. Regardless, Dick worrying won’t amount to anything.

Zechs asks if Ozma’s got no issue with this set-up and, indeed, he understands that having an unstable sniper and an attacker that doesn’t trust the guy watching his back wouldn’t really fly. That said, it seems to him that said attacker had a bit of a change of heart. Did Zechs not notice the glimmer in Alto’s eyes, Noin wonders.
Apparently not, and Zechs sees he isn’t leader material.

Somewhere hidden, G’s in a call with Mishima who’s not too happy that they’ve openly used a Dimension Eater – something L.A.I. was developing – on Earth’s surface and, if that wasn’t enough, in close proximity to one of the PLANTs bases. Still, the bugs’ network is now up and running, and surely Mishima understands the significance of that.
He does, though he wanted more time. Thanks to their shenanigans, Prof. Kentarou has started questioning if someone’s leaking their technology. G argues that they only had a limited window of opportunity when Ranka’s Fold Waves reached the necessary level and the boundaries could be brought down. Mind you, that whole battle wasn’t part of the plan.
Furthermore, G says they’ll soon begin preparations to bring the Galaxy over, so he won’t need to worry about anything when it happens. Isn’t it best to speed things along, presidential hopeful Leon Mishima?

Fine, Mishima says they’ll proceed to the next step of the plan as soon as Ranka’s back at the Frontier. They ARE interested in seeing to her safe return, right? Yes, though G’s group still isn’t sure how important the girl is – he figures they’ll confirm if she is or isn’t the “Little Queen” with this next battle.
Well, Mishima’s had his eye on her – the survivor – for some time, and would rather not waste the effort. They’ll try not to disappoint him.

As the call ends, G gets in touch with Brera, who says he’ll be arriving at the target area soon. Then he’s to carry out his initial mission accordingly. In the meantime, G’ll get ready to return to the Frontier.
Regardless of what happens, the plan should proceed apace.

Mission 10 (Retreat Route) – At the Tip of the Muzzle

And we’ve managed to catch up to the Vajra flock. Alto can still hear Ranka’s song, though it’s coming from behind this batch. In that case, Lulu orders everyone to thin out the Vajra numbers and clear a path ahead.
As Ozma tells everyone to watch not just our backs but that of our teammates, Alto gets a private call from Sheryl. She’s still a bit woozy, but has a request for him: “promise me that you won’t die, that you’ll come back safe.”
Alto promises, and to bring Ranka in tow as well. Forward!

Kill everything, don’t lose a ship, Alto or Michel. As I mentioned above, the main issue with this mission that that there’s a lot of water. Barring Kouji, most of our guys can fly just fine but the issue is that the Big Vajra groups have both one that’s flying and one that’s grounded. The grounded one will be underwater, meaning those’ll be so much harder to take out.
That’ll be Daiya and Yanma’s primary job this mission: going from one Big Vajra group to the next and hunting the underwater target. They can easily oneshot with their cheap attacks the things if they focus-fire.

Everyone goes forward.

Enemy Phase!

Ditto.

Player Phase!

As always, Ozma’ll be leading the charge with his command aura.

: Alto’ll be going in real soon, Ranka… Please be safe!

--

: The Vajra show a lot of difference between one another… Is this how they each evolved or…?

We’ll deal with these soon.

The Big Vajras all moved on land but Daiya’ll already start going after his assigned targets.

: Even after all the times I’ve fought these things, I still can’t handle how freaky they look. The Demonic Beasts are way nicer!

Yup, he and Yanma can oneshot just fine and that’s what they’ll be doing.

But we can have our other folks help out with these right now. Zechs and Klan have also tagged a few Big Vajras.

: I need you to keep a close eye on those things, Alice. Can you do it?!
: Yes. My AI has been developing its combat functions nicely; I should have no problems overall!

Puria takes it.

Following up on Zechs and Noin.

: Ranka’s life’ll be in even more damage if we waste time. Let’s hurry through this, Kenichi!
: And since we got size on our side, we oughta go straight for the big guys!
: You got it! These Vajra’ll get an ample taste of the Voltes’ power!

Bam.

Next!

: I need to break through these Vajra first! Die!!

”If survival comes down to us or you, then I…!”
And that’s a double kill.

And Kouji’ll like need a bit of time to reach the front lines after this, so let’s have him help out now.

: Hah, Mimetic Beasts, Vajra, it’s always the same ol’ thing. Let’s wrap this up quick!

Just shy but Tetsuya takes it.

And one more.

: We’re not getting Ranka out of there if we don’t give this 100%, Hyouma.
: And she’s been inside that Vajra for too long already. We’re running against the clock here!
: Got it, got it. We’ll keep our future superstar safe from these evil crickets!

Again, fell just shy of a kill.

Enemy Phase!

Aaand I moved my ships a bit too close… thought my Supers being up front would’ve goaded the AI, but nope! Lulu gets some bad rolls, too, so no kills.
The second wave of Vajra is drawing in.

Player Phase!

She does get payback, though. Jeffrey takes a little one.

Get in there, Michel.

: …I’m a sniper. I’ll at least carry out my job to the letter…!

Ozma and Luca, Ichitaka and Puria, Klan and Kouji each take a kill from the weakened buggers.

Only reason I didn’t send Daiya to oneshot that submerged Vajra is because I don’t want him hogging the other nearby mooks.
Either way, Kenichi and Hyouma clear out the remains of the first wave and that triggers the plot.[/i]

Alto’s noticing that Michel still isn’t doing too hot, though the guy says he’s just trying not to get in the way. Alto doesn’t wanna fight again, does he? No time for that as Cathy pings another flock of Vajra entering the area.
It’s the main batch and our folks tag the Vajra where Ranka’s being held. It’s Alto’s turn to get in there and, as usual, Ozma threatens him with Hell should anything happen to Ranka. Not that he needed any incentive to see this through.
Out there, Ranka’s calling out for his help.

Like in mission two, we need to get Alto adjacent to the target Knight – wrecking it is also a game over.

So we take a few steps forward.

Enemy Phase!

Tetsuya and Jun get jumped by a Big Vajra, though we can afford enough EN to Thunder Break it to death.

: Hrk?!
: (What’s going on…? Why am I hurting inside…?)

I’m sure it’s nothing. We keep weakening stuff and Ichitaka oneshots another little Vajra.

: Aargh! I-It hurts…!
: (Why? Why do we fight…?)

Oh, no, you didn’t.

Boosh. And Lulu also takes a kill.

Player Phase!

As Daiya and Yanma go fishing, Kouji and Tetsuya pop a couple of the weak Vajras to get their Mazin Power running.

Let’s skip forward a bit here since we need to get through this wave before having the way clear to Ranka.
One thing to note…

The Knights have a MAPW!

But they chose their targets poorly. The things have a decent bunch of HP but fall quickly against concentrated fire – especially if you bust out combined attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtw8zx2cqsA
Like Daiya and Lulu’s!
I confess to be a bit disappointed at this one compared to Sanshiro’s masterful “pick up the drat ship and smash it against the enemy!”

One turn later, Alto moves in. Make sure to cast Focus just in case your guys are lagging behind.

: In position! Hold on, Ranka – I’m coming!

: No, you aren’t…!

: Where the hell did he come from…?! Michel, back me up! I can’t move in with this guy hounding me!

*Targeting… while Brera literally flies circles around Alto.*

: Kch… He’s too fast…!
: It’s the Unknown from the reports…! Its reactions are too good for the unit to be a drone, but the way it’s moving is…
: Impossible for any human to withstand. Regardless of training, those insane movements would quickly make anyone faint. It’s likely the pilot’s…
: Are you gonna say he’s a cyborg or something?!
: You’re gonna have a hard time trying to take him head-on, Alto!
: I know that, Hyouma…!
: You listening, Michel? I’ll lure him into your scope!
: Don’t! It’s too risky!
: Are you scared you’ll miss? “Always hits a bulls-eye”, isn’t that how it is with you? And I heard that was the case with your sister, too!
: …?!
: Did Klan--? Urgh, that huge gossip…!

: What?! drat it, get off me!
: Can’t believe you fell for it twice… but you’re not getting away this time!
: Tch…!

: Alto!
: Structural integrity of Alto’s unit down 50%!
: Urk… This red Valkyrie, I swear…!
: Shoot, Michel! Surpass your sister!
: Shoot…!
: Shoot… Shoot, Michel! SHOOT!
: … Hrm…!

: Wha—?!

: Alright, and now…!

: Rrgh… I won’t—

*Beep!*

: You’re too damaged to continue with your mission. Retreat and make preparations for the next phase.
: …Roger that…

: Just who’s that guy…?
: Concentrate on the Vajra, guys. Carry on with your offensive!

Rinse and repeat everything we’d been doing. Ignore Ranka’s Knight, have Daiya hunt whatever’s underwater and kill, kill, kill.

And one turn after Alto’s gone in…

: Where is she…? Why’s nothing ever simple…?!
: SHAAAAAAA!
: Hrk! Screw these Vajra!

*Machine gun fire! Boom!*

*Dead.*

: How many of them are there…?! Ranka! RANKAA!!

*Elsewhere…*

: Huh… I can see them all fighting…?

quote:

: Hrk! Screw these Vajra!

*Machine gun fire! Boom!*

*Dead.*

: *Sniffles* No… This is so sad… Stop it… Please, stop this…
: We wish to convey…
: To all of you…

: ?! This song… I understand… I’ll pour what I feel into my music… like I’ve always done…
: Aimo, Aimo…♪

: I hear music…! This way!

*BOOM!*

: RANKA!
: Alto?! Is that really you?!
: Ranka…!
: SHAAAAA!
: You goddamn monsters…! You locked her up in this weird bubble?!
: STOP!!
: Eat this!!

*Bang!*

:!!
: Ugh… aah…!

: Alto!
: Is Ranka safe?!
: She is, yeah! All thanks to you guys!
: Brother… everyone…!
: Aalrighty, then! Now we can stop holding back and wreck the rest of the Vajra!
: Yeah, let’s bring the whole curtain down on this group!
: Huh… What are they…? Captain, the Vajra seem to be confused for some reason.
: Confused…?
: Captain!
: That’s just the opportunity we need. Troops, muster whatever strength you still have and destroy the whole flock!

Go forward and kiiiiiiiiiiiill! :black101:

: A-Alto…
: Keep quiet for a bit, Ranka! This’ll be over soon and then I’ll set you down, so hold on ‘til then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boyFsO-JahU
And here’s Kouji and Tetsuya’s Double Burning Fire with the dynamic finish!

That’s all the Vajra gone and Ranka’s confirmed safe – a thorough success even from a humanitarian POV, Durandal says. Even Ozma lets out a few tears of joy as he thanks us all.
Seems to Hiyoshi that even the big bad man can get choked up a few times, though Kenichi points out that the kid’s eyes are looking a bit red to. N-No way – he’s a MAN, so he’ll hang tough! And if Ozma was a manly man, he’d do the same! Them’s fighting words and Ozma figures he now has free rein to go to town on the Voltes Team during training.
Alice herself notes that Alto and Michel seem to have sorted out their differences today, so we just took care of two birds with one stone. Klan agrees, very glad that things turned out as well as they did.

And, with that, Lulu calls everyone back to the ships. Alto finally gets to ease up after all the nonstop hardships and asks if Ranka was scared in there. The girl’s crying too badly to answer, though he says the battle’s over - everything’s fine now.
“No… you’re wrong…” she sobs inwardly. “I don’t… I don’t understand… Why…?”

Michel still doesn’t know what was going through his sister’s mind when she pulled the trigger back then, and Luca and Alto quickly catch up to him. Alto praises his shot and invites him to go elsewhere – staying in the hangar 24/7 won’t help anyone relax after a big mission.
This is actually the first time he openly calls the guy Michel instead of Mikhail, and Luca’s happy with their progress. Alto prods the kid to quit grinning and move or they’ll leave him behind.
Michel, meanwhile, ponders that while he doesn’t know what his sister was thinking, he might figure it out someday.

And, some time later, we have a surprise waiting at the Quarter’s briefing room: Brera! Ozma wants the guy to explain what’s going on, but he is sticking to what he’s already said: he’s Lt. Brera Stern of the Macross Galaxy’s Antares Squadron. He’ll be accompanying the Quarter for a bit, and that is all he’s at liberty to divulge.
We’re to take the pilot of that red Valkyrie aboard? Ichitaka doesn’t think so, but Jeffrey says his affiliation checks out and the powers that be deemed he wasn’t a threat. Yeah, right, and we’re supposed to just forgive and forget all the times he messed with Alto? Hyouma at least wants the guy to apologize for all that... but he just keeps quiet. Is he not at liberty to apologize, maybe?!
Alto moves in, wondering what all the yelling is about, and Hyouma grunts at Brera coming aboard the Quarter like he owns the place. Hearing his voice, Alto’s immediately knows him to be the pilot of the problem red Valkyrie.

Regardless, that’s the way it is. More importantly, Jeffrey says we now have to conduct a few simple exams throughout the entire team after our battle with the Vajra (same ones Alto previously complained about having to undergo nonstop while hunting the things in space). If the Quarter’s facilities are deemed not up to the task, we’ll have to do it at the Frontier.
Kouji now sees the issue with fighting the buggers, but Luca said it needs to be done as we always run the risk of picking up a hitherto unknown disease. Boss sighs that he should’ve thought to slap some anti-bacterial coating on the Borot, though that strikes Kouji as the least of his bot’s problems.
Tetsuya tells them to zip it and hustle over to Canaria’s infirmary.

And everyone seems to be doing A-OK, much to Kenichi’s relief as we can’t well get taken out by stuff like disease. Hyouma’s just about to call it a day when Franken, Daiya calls him Franklin, the Daiku Maryu’s doctor, says he wants the Battle Team to take a different exam as well.
Said exam is for the Mimetic Beasts’ Insania Virus, what with the Combattler team having been helping the Dannar Team for a while, and we get the same rundown as the other path regarding the Rabid Syndrome and whatnot.
Of note is that Durandal saw fit to accompany Franklin to the Quarter as he figured his knowledge as a geneticist would be useful in regards to said RNA Virus (he replaces Kiriko as the expert here, really). If anything, his demeanor shows Zechs that this is a serious matter.

At length, everyone is doing just fine, with practically no chance of triggering the Rabid Syndrome, and Noin relates the information about Goh’s much higher risks. We’ll get more details once we’re back at JUDA.
Seems to Ichitaka like stuff on the other side was just as bad as this one.

Now, the Quarter is just about to reach Japan and this’ll be where Durandal and Meer need to part ways – that said, they’ll give Sheryl and Ranka a lift to the Frontier. Jeffrey wishes them safe travels, but Durandal figures they’ll be fine: Japan has, as you might expect, a history of opposition against any and all nuclear strikes, so they’re very sympathetic to the PLANTs.
Plus, Durandal also has someone he’d wanted to meet so this seemed like a good opportunity to do just that.

Ichitaka’s disappointed that Sheryl and Ranka are leaving, but they can’t well hang around now that both the movie shoot and anti-war concert have been dealt with. At the very least Alice is happy to see that Sheryl’s looking much better.
Well, she couldn’t stay bedridden forever and while her original plan was to get back to work tomorrow, it seems the Frontier government has ordered her quarantined to take a few exams. Guess she’ll be bedridden for a bit more once she gets back there.
Ranka’s also received the same order, though Alto figures it stands to reason they’d want to run some thorough scans face her abduction by the Vajra. Ranka sighs and Luca tries consoling that, while it’ll be boring for a bit, she’ll be able to get back to her normal life without any worries if the tests show nothing.

Luca would know, even, as Kenichi points out he’s the experienced one here in terms of Vajra abduction (feels odd for Ranka to have him be her senpai in this matter). Whichever the case, Daiya wants Ranka and Sheryl to get plenty of rest to put on a live concert for the whole crew next time.
Sheryl ponders she’ll have to make that happen before the Frontier figures out how to get back to its original world, then. She’ll get us begging her not to leave (Ichitaka’s just about at that point already, mind, but he’s not telling)!

As for Brera, it seems the reason the guy came over was because the Frontier Government assigned him as a bodyguard to the singers, so he’ll be leaving with them. Hyouma still doesn’t trust the guy one bit and Sheryl admits that she doesn’t really know what’s up with him.
Oh, and before she leaves, Sheryl tells Alto to keep that earring safe – if he loses it, she’ll make him pay big time. Ranka’s quietly taken aback by this tidbit of information, though Alto says he’ll take good care of it. Only reason they could rescue Ranka was because of the thing!
Their shuttle’s just about ready to depart and a flustered Ranka rushes out to get her luggage in. It’s about Sheryl’s time to get going, too, as she figures she’s kind of overstayed her welcome, but Kouji’s looking forward to seeing her in the Frontier. Alto just asks her to take it easy up there – she’ll try.

When she goes, Ichitaka immediately realizes he forgot to get her autograph – so much for his chance at showing off to his schoolmates. While info on the Frontier’s still heavily regulated, Sheryl’ll likely be getting famous due to the movie. Only a matter of time before she’s THE singer on Earth as well.
Jun isn’t as certain as Ichitaka, however, as Ranka’s star seems to be on the rise due to the stuff that happened with that same movie, her kidnapping and subsequent rescue. Megumi presumes the press will be all over her and the girl’s office is apparently looking to market her as the “Superdimensional Cinderella”. All in all, it won’t be easy sailing for Sheryl.
Hell, and that’s saying nothing of Lacus, with her legions of fans, and Eida, who, despite losing some popularity due to recently cancelling a few shows, still has a lot of passionate fans of her own. There are plenty of rivals in the pop singer market. One way or another, Megumi at least hopes Sheryl’ll make a full recovery.

Durandal, Meer, Sheryl and Ranka have made it to Tokyo, though it’ll only be tomorrow that their shuttle’s leaving for the PLANTs. Thus, he’s seen fit to rent them all rooms at a first class hotel for the evening. Sheryl doesn’t mind, though Ranka’s a bit in awe at the fancy place.
In the meantime, Durandal needs to take off to make good on an arrangement – the girls can go and have dinner without waiting for him.

By the coast…

: (What a dreary landscape… Over a decade has passed, yet the scars of the Second Impact do not fully disappear…)
: (Actually, no… it would have been nigh impossible to even restore this once dead ocean without their… without the technology from the other world. It’s for that reason that we’re all alive.)
: You’ve arrived a bit sooner than expected, Chairman Durandal.
: I’ve come alone. Consider it a gesture of good faith on my part.
: Good. This way, please.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 7, 2017

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Good thing Mikhail was able to overcome his issues in a single battle, and Alto was able to put aside all of his resentment so easily. Wouldn't want to focus on compelling human drama when we can have Mishima, Brera, and the G-Man being mysterious.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

Good thing Mikhail was able to overcome his issues in a single battle, and Alto was able to put aside all of his resentment so easily. Wouldn't want to focus on compelling human drama when we can have Mishima, Brera, and the G-Man being mysterious.

To be fair, the game is pretty much sticking with how it happened in the series. One episode ends with Michel screwing up, and, by the end of the next, they sort it out.

Edit: actually, did it all happen in a single episode?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

To be fair, the game is pretty much sticking with how it happened in the series. One episode ends with Michel screwing up, and, by the end of the next, they sort it out.

Edit: actually, did it all happen in a single episode?

Yeah I figured, according to Akurasu this is Frontier's SRW debut, and there's that unofficial rule that debuting series need to be played straight without a lot of cross-series pollination. That'd probably be why this stage feels like an episode of Macross where occasionally there's also the Voltes.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Got a new update coming soon, but it's a big one and this page already has three...

I'm gonna need a new page here, folks! :eng99:

Some 8 posts will get us there.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 11, 2017

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

If we've done it once, we can do it again! :)

And I know it's been mentioned this game is shorter than the average SRW, but by how much? Like 10 chapters give or take?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Booky posted:

If we've done it once, we can do it again! :)

And I know it's been mentioned this game is shorter than the average SRW, but by how much? Like 10 chapters give or take?

41, meaning we've just cleared 1/4th of it.

So... about the same length as OG1 and A/AP, I think?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
According to Akurasu it's 55 scenarios, counting the two prologues and all the route splits.

I have this idea stuck in my head that Ichitaka is really short, but I have no idea where I got it from beyond that he's in middle school.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Brunom1 posted:

41, meaning we've just cleared 1/4th of it.

So... about the same length as OG1 and A/AP, I think?

Alacron posted:

According to Akurasu it's 55 scenarios, counting the two prologues and all the route splits.

Ah, that's good to know, thanks! :)

I'm not super familiar with the OG games, but isn't AP the really hard one? :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

I have this idea stuck in my head that Ichitaka is really short, but I have no idea where I got it from beyond that he's in middle school.

There's probably official information on the characters' heights but I don't know where to get it from (likely Japanese sites). As it is, I've always imagined Ichitaka as taller than pre-timeskip Kazuma but shorter than the rest of the SRW protagonists Brunom has used (with Rand as the tallest). Of course, that's just how I picture it, I have no way to actually check that out.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's probably official information on the characters' heights but I don't know where to get it from (likely Japanese sites). As it is, I've always imagined Ichitaka as taller than pre-timeskip Kazuma but shorter than the rest of the SRW protagonists Brunom has used (with Rand as the tallest). Of course, that's just how I picture it, I have no way to actually check that out.

I want to say that there's no way Kazuma grew that much during a six month timeskip, but then again Ruri aged three years in that time frame so :v:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I don't usually think about characters' heights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

I want to say that there's no way Kazuma grew that much during a six month timeskip, but then again Ruri aged three years in that time frame so :v:

Kazuma hits puberty hard in those six months for some reason, I mean, compare him both pre- and post-timeskip:

I can't imagine that didn't come with some extra centimeters of height.

• Locked thread