Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Snipee posted:

: LP same:

Also, holy hell we are so screwed. France is going to wreck us unless we patch things up with Morocco. I still want their colonies, but I think we need all the allies that we can get. At the minimum, we need to avoid a two front war.
We'll be fine. In case you haven't noticed, we're on par with France in troop quality right now, and not so far behind in numbers.

Oh and Morocco is not allied to France, and France has it's diplo slots filled. That'll keep them from allying up in the near future.

Also Morocco is our rival, and they probably rivaled us as well. You can't ally rivals. You can't cancel rivalry for like 100 years after setting it. And there also remains the question if Morocco will unrival us.

(by the by, the obvious way to keep France from declaring war on us is to become more powerful than them. Also known as killing Morocco and taking their land for ourselves)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'll stay with the Merchants!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yeah, while I've long wanted to befriend Morocco again, that's impossible while they're our rivals. They're going to implacably hate us until Al-Andalus is either too strong or too weak for them to consider us worthy competitors.

Hashim, I would like updated information on our rivals, France's rivals, and Morocco's rivals. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the full diplo tab for all three while we're at it.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Staying with the merchants!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

We'll be fine. In case you haven't noticed, we're on par with France in troop quality right now, and not so far behind in numbers.

Oh and Morocco is not allied to France, and France has it's diplo slots filled. That'll keep them from allying up in the near future.

Also Morocco is our rival, and they probably rivaled us as well. You can't ally rivals. You can't cancel rivalry for like 100 years after setting it. And there also remains the question if Morocco will unrival us.

(by the by, the obvious way to keep France from declaring war on us is to become more powerful than them. Also known as killing Morocco and taking their land for ourselves)

Mostly all good points, but France has like twice the manpower that we do. We only survived last time because of Province.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Snipee posted:

Mostly all good points, but France has like twice the manpower that we do. We only survived last time because of Province.

I do feel bad that we basically threw Provence to the sharks while increasing our grip on Iberia

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Mountaineer posted:

Hashim, I would like updated information on our rivals, France's rivals, and Morocco's rivals. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the full diplo tab for all three while we're at it.

Sure, this is France's diplo tab:

There isn't much wiggle room here, since the Celts are rivalled to us and Smolensk is a continent away. Also, we lost France as a rival after that last war, probably because we became too weak for them.

Here's Morocco:

There's much more potential over here, Morocco's only allies are quite weak and we can ally Mali if we have to, and hit them from both the north and south. They still have a larger army than us though, since ours got wiped out by France, but a few years of peace and recovery should rectify that.

For good measure, this is our own diplo tab:

We have an empty rival slot after losing France, but the only nations currently available for us to rival are Italy, Provence and the Vakhtani Caliphate.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Hashim posted:

Sure, this is France's diplo tab:

We have an empty rival slot after losing France, but the only nations currently available for us to rival are Italy, Provence and the Vakhtani Caliphate.

This is excellent. A france that does not have us rivalled is a France that leaves us alone.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Dance Officer posted:

This is excellent. A france that does not have us rivalled is a France that leaves us alone.

I wouldn't be so sure:

Red is the land they consider vital interest, so they want to conquer it. Yellow is what they consider strategic interest, so they probably want to conquer that too.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Updated tally, let me know if I missed anyone:

- 20, Rodyle, Lord Cyrahzax, Frionnel, Mountaineer, Crazycryodude, Grizzwold, The Bold Kobold, Yessod, RZApublican, Technowolf, ThatBasqueGuy, catlord, Archaeology Hat, Soup du Jour, Bloody Pom, TildeATH, Aeromancia, Captain Oblivious, paragon1, Hitlers Gay Secret.

- 9, devildragon777, unwantedplatypus, Ralepozozaxe, Erwin the German, AJ_Impy, Slaan, sheep-dodger, Vinny Possum, Snipee.

- 7, GunnerJ, Mikl, Dance Officer, Talas, Ikasuhito, Camoes, HiHo ChiRho.

- 3, Zakrelo, Odysseus S. Grant.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Loyalists seem to have a phantom member.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Is it too late to switch parties, actually? The Taifas have a massive majority so I feel like I should switch back to the Merchants and try to get them as the second strongest (holding out for Humanist ideas still).

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Now more than ever we must be united, as one.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

Is it too late to switch parties, actually? The Taifas have a massive majority so I feel like I should switch back to the Merchants and try to get them as the second strongest (holding out for Humanist ideas still).

Sure, anyone can change factions up until I post the final tally.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Taifas life for me.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Switch to the Merchants, and I'd invite another Taifa or two to come along.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Reshuffling is over, you can no longer change factions.:siren:

Policy Session

The faction reshuffling is now closed, with the New Taifas becoming the largest faction at the expense of the Merchants, whilst the Ulema maintain their position as second-largest.

For more information on policies, available buildings and diplomatic actions, click here, and scroll beneath the chapter list.

---

Policy Restrictions

The New Taifas can submit two policies, the Ulema one, the League of Merchants one, and the Jizrunid Loyalists one.

The New Taifas are the dominant faction, so they will have no restrictions to their policies, except for those that apply to other factions.

The Ulema are the second-largest faction, which means that they can now use policies to convert provinces to Sunni. Although conversions will still be very difficult, the penalties will not be so high and it is technically possible to convert a few provinces.

The League of Merchants is the second-smallest faction, which means colonisation will come to a complete standstill, and any policies including further colonisation will be rejected and jeered at. The only exception is if the Merchants manage to form a coalition with another faction.

Also, no policies can include the moving of the current capital, Cádiz.

---

Coalitions

What are coalitions?

Basically a way for smaller factions to band together and force issues through the Majlis. A coalition works when two factions agree to submit a single policy. So, for example, say the Ulema submit a policy to convert a certain province to Islam, and a bunch of Jizrunid Loyalists agree to use their votes to support it. If that policy gains the most votes from both the Ulema and the Loyalists, then it will be passed.

There are no restrictions on coalition policies, no matter what faction is in power. The Ruling Faction, however, cannot form any coalitions at all.

---

Buildings

We’ve unlocked the new Bastion Fortress, and three manufactories (Naval Equipment, Textiles and Trade Station) are available again.

For more information on available buildings and their effects, click here.

---

State of Affairs

Government: Reformed Taifa System (power split between the Sultan and Majlis)
Ruling Faction: The New Taifas
Permitted Factions: The Ulema, The League of Merchants, the Jizrunid Loyalists
Rivals: France, Italy
Alliances: Tunis, Provence, Palermo
Subjects: Zuwawi
Other Pacts: none
Diplomatic slots: 4/5
Treasury: 100 gold (550 gold in debt)
Current net income: 8 gold/month

---

With that, the floor is now open for policies. Here are the icon links:

code:

New Taifas: [img]https://lpix.org/2786920/Taifas.png[/img]

Ulama: [img]https://lpix.org/2786921/Ulama.png[/img]

League of Merchants: [img]https://lpix.org/2786922/Merchants.png[/img]

Jizrunid Loyalists: [img]https://lpix.org/2813544/Loyalists.png[/img]

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

It's time for Iberian Consolidation. Annex Aragon as soon as possible, and then Castile as soon as the truce ends. We need to end these minor principalities as soon as possible, and set the stage for the final confrontation over the Pyrenees. Also, France is way too strong to take on right now.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

How are our colonies doing?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Proposing the Even More Tequila Initiative, a coalition between the Merchants and the Loyalists to keep colonizing the New World, with an emphasis on forming/growing colonial nations in Central America.

Ensure that colonial nation liberty desire stays below 50% if at all possible, and under no circumstances may it pass 75%.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 12, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Talas posted:

How are our colonies doing?

Juzur Qarbiya, the Caribbean colony, is very rich and giving us a lot of sway in pulling trade back to the old world, but they've already proven themselves willing to rebel. We've also just formed another colonial nation in Mexico - the Muqta of Ibriz - but it's still small and likely won't be self-sufficient for a while.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

It's time for Iberian Consolidation. Annex Aragon as soon as possible, and then Castile as soon as the truce ends. We need to end these minor principalities as soon as possible, and set the stage for the final confrontation over the Pyrenees. Also, France is way too strong to take on right now.

Seconding this one!

Scratch that, new post shows I have changed my mind!

Luhood fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 12, 2017

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Proposing the Even More Tequila Initiative, a coalition between the Merchants and the Loyalists to keep colonizing the New World, with an emphasis on forming/growing colonial nations in Central America.
Seconding!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alright, to business then. I think our strategy of creating package bills has been serving us pretty well.

Concurring with Soup, I think Aragorn should be our first priority.

Sevila I Do Like It

1. Terminate Aragorn immediately, should our mercenary forces be deemed sufficient for doing so and they not be protected by no higher power.
2. Cease all military action until our debts are paid off and our forces be restored to at least 75%.
3. Once our warmaking powers are restored, strike at the Moroccans, aiming primarily to take the Seville and Qharibya trade nodes. If the Sultan sees an additional alliance as needed for this operation, he is given mandate to pursue such.
4. When our truce expires, presuming we are not at war with Morocco and they are unprotected, terminate Castille.
5.. Maintain military research and construction as deemed appropriate by the Sultan.

Taifas, any proposed amendments?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Alright, to business then. I think our strategy of creating package bills has been serving us pretty well.

Sevila I Do Like It

1. Terminate Aragorn immediately, should our mercenary forces be deemed sufficient for doing so and they not be protected by no higher power.
2. Cease all military action until our debts are paid off and our forces be restored to at least 75%.
3. Once our warmaking powers are restored, strike at the Moroccans, aiming primarily to take the Seville and Qharibya trade nodes. If the Sultan sees an additional alliance as needed for this operation, he is given mandate to pursue such.
4. When our truce expires, presuming we are not at war with Morocco and they are unprotected, terminate Castille.
5.. Maintain military research and construction as deemed appropriate by the Sultan.

I would give the Sultan more freedom in eliminating Castile. When the truce ends, we strike.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Rodyle posted:

Sevila I Do Like It

Seems like a solid plan, although I'd prefer that any war with Morocco be more targeted towards enlarging our vassal in the Maghreb. Weakening Morocco while keeping our administrative power free for Iberia would be ideal.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Rodyle posted:

Sevila I Do Like It

Don't wait till the debt is paid off. Strike Morocco when Al Andalus has a bigger army and is at least on the same mil tech, and there's a surplus in the budget.

Oh and we should take Tangiers for ourselves. We want to dominate to dominate the Sevilla node as much as possible. Everything else can be pawned off to vassals.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 11, 2017

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

I propose the Islamic Iberia Act to finish converting the rest of Iberia over to Sunni Islam. We have made great progress in the last several decades, but we are not done yet. If we conquer any new territories on the peninsula, then we should immediately start working on enlightening them as well.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Sevila I Do Like It

Seconding this, along with any amendments.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Proposing the Colonial Loyalty Act: Ensure by whatever means the game makes available that our colonies aren't going to suddenly declare independence should the wind change briefly. I'm assuming this doesn't count as "further colonization."

If the coalition with the Loyalists works out I'll rescind this.

Withdrawn in favor of this:

Crazycryodude posted:

Ensure that colonial nation liberty desire stays below 50% if at all possible, and under no circumstances may it pass 75%.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 12, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Snipee posted:

I propose the Islamic Iberia Act to finish converting the rest of Iberia over to Sunni Islam. We have made great progress in the last several decades, but we are not done yet. If we conquer any new territories on the peninsula, then we should immediately start working on enlightening them as well.

Keep in mind that the Portuguese and Castilian populations are still protected, so only the Aragonese and Leonese can be converted.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I propose we secure an alliance with Mali. They might be willing to help attack Morocco, so I think it's worth pursuing. While they are unlikely to be much help in any of our other wars, it can't hurt to broaden our alliance network.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
How fares Islam in the new world?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Snipee posted:

seconded

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Sevila I Do Like It

Sounds like a good plan.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Friends, countrymen, lend me your ears. Most of you don't know me, but my father was a member of this High Assembly, as was his father, and his father before him.

I have recently returned from the Colonies to take my family's seat, and I bring ill omens; many in those lands are dissatisfied with how things are currently going. Such things are still discussed about only in hushed whispers, and the words stop as soon as someone who holds any rank comes within earshot, but my agents bring me... rebellious news. Many feel they aren't respected by our nation's government, that they are seen only as a cow to be milked without having any say in it, and someone even suggested turning the harbour at Juzur Qarbiya brown in a demonstrative act, by pouring a load of cocoa into it. The phrase that is most often uttered is "no levy without representative", which goes to show that they want to have a say in the government's business.

Such things are, of course, worrying, and we must try to keep our friends close; are they not, after all, our muslim brothers? I'm sure many of you have relatives in the colonies.

Therefore,

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the Colonial Loyalty Act: Ensure by whatever means the game makes available that our colonies aren't going to suddenly declare independence should the wind change briefly. I'm assuming this doesn't count as "further colonization."

I support the esteemed GunnerJ's proposal, with the caveat that the loyalty of the colonies is to be won without violence if at all possible: an open hand is more welcome than a clenched fist after all, and if try to tighten the grip we'll risk our overseas territories slipping through our fingers.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

This usually means developing their provinces, building buildings for them, and keeping tariffs low.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Rodyle posted:

Sevila I Do Like It

I would like an amendment to points 3 and 4 to also exclude a war with France, whose truce with us will expire at the same time as Castille's. We should avoid having to fight on two fronts if at all possible. Also point 1 is a bit hard to parse, "should... they not be protected by no higher power" seems to be indicating that war is preferred if they have powerful backers.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Snipee posted:

Agreed , when we praise Allah he will bless us in turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Crazycryodude posted:

Agreed. This coaliton is wise. The riches of the new world will give us prosperity in the old.