Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Colangelo's time in Toronto was mostly a disaster but I think he should get some credit for trying to build a 2017 NBA team with 2006 parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Dante80 posted:

Re-uploaded a MILKO ad Giannis did, while adding hardsubbed subs for english speakers. Be gentle, its my first time using aegisub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14t2IIvGGmM

That is my new favorite choco drink ad.

Greek chocolate milk does not gently caress around.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like if Embiid had been able to play healthy during all the time he missed, we'd be looking at Hinkie differently. I know that's a big if, but he's obviously a very good, possibly great talent if he has all that time to develop as a player. Maybe people even want to play with him because of his skill and Philly's considerable cap space.

Of course, if Embiid had been able to play healthy during all the time he missed, they wouldn't have been in a position to draft Simmons and Fultz.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

He's a good guy, I'm glad he got some money.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

His biggest mistake was Okafor over Porzingis.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Doltos posted:

That's extremely obvious and everyone is aware of the strategy. The point is Hinkie made it a point to make his strategy not only obvious, but blatant. We don't even know if it worked yet.

Hinkie is that guy who went to college just so he could join a frat and network. He pretty much ignored class so he could pound beers with as many sons of rich businessmen as he could. Like dude at least pretend education matters in landing that cushy job you'll never be fired from

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://theundefeated.com/features/chris-paul-time-for-change/

Some cool stuff from Chris paul's perspective here, nothing bitter toward LA, but basically admitting he thought the clippers had hit their ceiling and had no way to get over the hump, so he moved. Also, totally confirmed the INTANGIBLES value of one Bobby Brown.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

NBA Offseason 2017-18 G/V: The Same Dumb Discussion that We All Had the Last Two Offseasons.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Niwrad posted:

That was everybody's mistake. Literally no one thought Porzingis would be immediately good, let alone better than post-savant Okafor

Has Noel even signed yet? I guess a lot of people misjudged the (R)FA market. Brooklyn cant sign everybody

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheKevman posted:

But if it's obvious and the right thing to do, even if it hasn't worked yet, what does him making it obvious or blatant mean other than you simply not liking that he did that?

Yeah I don't like his style. He had players on the roster that knew they were either doomed or only there for a short layover. He let everyone know that Philly had no hope until a superstar started to develop, which led to players like KP refusing to workout for him and agents saying poo poo like this:

quote:

"The only way an agent will deal with the Sixers is the Jimmy Butler situation," said a league source, noting that the restricted free agent identified the Sixers as possible destination this summer before he re-signed with the Chicago Bulls.

"They'll use the Sixers and [general manager Sam] Hinkie to get leverage for other teams," he added. "They said, 'OK, the Sixers have max money,' and they'll use that and put it out there in the press or whatever just to get leverage."

I think he did a bad job and other GMs did similar strategies without making headlines. Even if the Sixers turn into a perennial playoff team I'd still think he did a bad job with his time there, and that other GMs could have done a better job.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TheKevman posted:

Do you have private messages I sent you one a while ago about how I live near and have served/hung out with Paul Zuvella :lol:

Whoops, I totally forgot to respond to that. Unfortunately I just got this username from Lowtax, but it is awesome that you served a Yankees Legend.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That was everybody's mistake. Literally no one thought Porzingis would be immediately good, let alone better than post-savant Okafor

Paul Zuvella posted:

Just want to point out that they didn't draft Porzingis because they didnt want to draft him. Not drafting someone because "they don't want to play there" is really dumb because a team has complete control of that player for 4 years and then RFA rights basically give them complete control again unless they completely tank their salary for a year.

Ownership didn't want to draft him, but Hinkie did.

Also, Porzingis had no issue with playing in Philly; his shithead agent, Andy Miller, also represented Noel and didn't want his clients cutting into each other's playing time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

NBA Offseason 2017-18 G/V: The Same Dumb Discussion that We All Had the Last Two Offseasons.

If it was only contained to offseasons that would be fine but it's a monthly thing here. But it's easy to ignore, too, I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The worst thing about this hinkie discussion is the constant revisionist history that Porzingis was the sure-fire pick. Literally months after the pick, people said this here. It was dumb as gently caress then, it's even dumber now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Yup

Huge

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I just remembered that the Grizzlies of the last few years are winding down. They were a really fun team to root for come playoff time.

Also a perfect example of how it can be worthwhile to exist without making the finals or getting the #1 pick.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/884817776501764097

Rip

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dante80 posted:

Re-uploaded a MILKO ad Giannis did, while adding hardsubbed subs for english speakers. Be gentle, its my first time using aegisub.

Hah, nice ad. Thanks for subbing it. Also lol at these knockoff Cavs jerseys that I strongly suspect is not a real team despite sounding vaguely Greek ahah

good on Giannis for using a 10 foot rim instead of the 8 foot one Kevin Love used for his Chocolate Milk commercial

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I DID!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I think you'd still have somewhat of an issue with playing both Porzingis and Embiid at the same time (Porzingis is a natural 5, despite the bullshit triangle Knicks not thinking so), though they are both probably talented enough for a good coach to have figured it out.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DeimosRising posted:

Also a perfect example of how it can be worthwhile to exist without making the finals or getting the #1 pick.

Yep, and even though the Celtics had absolutely no shot to beat the Cavs this year (much less the Warriors) I enjoyed the trip to the ECF immensely because 3 seasons ago they won 25 games. There's a lot to be said for a team that tries hard and outplays expectations. I've never fully understood "championship or bust"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

WhyteRyce posted:

That deal for George gets worse with every new tweet about it
https://twitter.com/ericpincus/status/884841842742763520

How in the world is that the best deal he could get

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

His jumper died

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgNSsqDQxqk

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wonder if this is legit or they pulled him because it was getting really embarrassing. Either way, the rebuild is off to a great start!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tae posted:

The worst thing about this hinkie discussion is the constant revisionist history that Porzingis was the sure-fire pick. Literally months after the pick, people said this here. It was dumb as gently caress then, it's even dumber now.

I was actually praying that Okafor would fall to the Knicks and all the Porzingis hype on draft day would make the Sixers take him instead.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/884877879074541568

#nepotism

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DeimosRising posted:

How in the world is that the best deal he could get

31 year old point guard with major injury in recent years. Not enough cap space this year, especially since half the league has point guards and the other half drafted theirs.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

That's just Dejan wearing a moustache

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dante80 posted:

pretty rad, might head up to junglejims and see if they have this for sale

thank christ

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was perfectly fine with the Lakers slow-building with an eye on like 2020 and am super not fine with just throwing the next season away to pray for a Lebron and Friend team.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

I was perfectly fine with the Lakers slow-building with an eye on like 2020 and am super not fine with just throwing the next season away to pray for a Lebron and Friend team.

Magic's got a real big ego on him and it's going to hurt the team for a while. He spent the entire offseason preparing for the Lebron/PG plan and the PG plan is already showing its cracks. Maybe you should blow him up

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnd6yRc7EUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQmJOaS036U&t=66s

compare these to my immediate texts to my pal Travis reading "HELL YEAH" and "KING ZING is gonna BRING RINGS"

:colbert:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

G-Hawk posted:

https://theundefeated.com/features/chris-paul-time-for-change/

Some cool stuff from Chris paul's perspective here, nothing bitter toward LA, but basically admitting he thought the clippers had hit their ceiling and had no way to get over the hump, so he moved. Also, totally confirmed the INTANGIBLES value of one Bobby Brown.

Getting Bobby Brown was some forty dimensional chess type poo poo from Morey. I imagine his giant cloud database has a matrix of all AAU teammates and friends of NBA players who can be acquired on the cheap

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

quote:

What can you say about Melo possibly being a teammate if the New York Knicks trade him to Houston or make him a free agent by buying him out?

Man, sit back and wait.

:thunk:

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

yeah i was gonna include that but thats about the 50th version of that from some source/player/whoever and at this point im tired of the rumors and just want it to go ahead and happen

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fast Luck posted:

The premise is that you draft for generational talent, because you need top talent to win in the NBA. We now know they've got that with Embiid if he stays healthy. They've surrounded Embiid with two #1 picks in Simmons and Fultz, and theoretically all those guys will fit well together. And they've now got other NBA talent guys to surround them with like Covington and Saric and others. I get that there were doubters in the beginning but at this point the process worked and Sam Hinkie's vision has been validated, so it's weird to say he's not a genius or that people that were process fans from the beginning aren't all geniuses too.

Dunno if I agree with this but I am also pretty extreme as far as being a Ben Simmons skeptic

corn on the cop posted:

Everyone knew Embiid was going to miss a massive amount of time at the time of the draft. That was his risk.

Yeah this is the only reason they were able to draft him in the first place. He already had huge injury issues coming out of college. If he didn't he'd be a Cav right now. It was probably worth the risk but it wasn't exactly some unforeseeable thing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The question with Simmons is whether you can be a star wing in this league and not be able to shoot.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
From what I know about him he seems like he'd be a good fit as a Lamar Odom type but the sort-of-weird ongoing I AM THE PG war he's waging makes me wonder if he'll ever want to do that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

morestuff posted:

From what I know about him he seems like he'd be a good fit as a Lamar Odom type but the sort-of-weird ongoing I AM THE PG war he's waging makes me wonder if he'll ever want to do that

He can want whatever he desires.

The league tells you real quick what you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

He's gonna defend SF or PF so who cares what he calls himself

• Locked thread