Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Finally finishing up our remodel and our contractor and plumber can't get the wall hung toilet to sit level, despite being mounted properly. Pulled it off the wall and I think we found the problem....

Turns out the right side is 3/8th inch higher than the left. I guess this is what I get for buying a "fancy" toilet. The place I bought it from was zero help and just told me to talk to the manufacturer, and even told me they wouldn't return it since it had been installed. The manufacturer told me I have to make a warranty claim, and the claim department "doesn't have a phone number" and only communicate via email or fax. So now I get to wait an undetermined amount of time for a replacement, if they decide that its actually a manufacturing defect.

So I guess the lesson here is remember to immediately unbox anything you order and double check all the measurements before doing anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

Given how expensive electricity is in NZ, has anyone been moving towards natural gas/propane instead?

Some new subdivisions are plumbed for gas, my current one has a gas hob and a heater outlet. A significant minority of people use gas by the bottle. Central heating is incredibly rare in houses.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MC Jaded Burnout posted:

My poo poo still arcs all the time.

Do you think it's time for a DC mains comeback? So much of my stuff (including lighting, now) runs on DC and it seems so wasteful to have a hundred transformers in the house.

It would still be AC on the poles since DC would require a power plant in your neighborhood, so no.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MC Jaded Burnout posted:

Do you think it's time for a DC mains comeback? So much of my stuff (including lighting, now) runs on DC and it seems so wasteful to have a hundred transformers in the house.

Modern power supplies don’t use transformers and are pretty good at their jobs.

The 5 V your devices run at is much too low to be practical for distributing throughout the house without huge wires and/or huge losses.

If you have to step down the voltage at every device whether the mains are AC or DC, and you do, there isn’t much advantage to DC mains. Turning 240 DC to 5 V DC isn’t substantially easier than turning 240 V AC to 5 V DC.

DC distribution can make sense for data centres, which use 100% DC power and use it by the megawatt, but it will never make sense in the home.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Modern power supplies don’t use transformers and are pretty good at their jobs.

Do we have new magic or is this just wrong? Isn't everything using a 60:1 transformer a rectifier and a 7805 or equivalent regulator to avoid burning 115-235v off as heat from a big resistor?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dobbymoodge posted:

Do we have new magic or is this just wrong? Isn't everything using a 60:1 transformer a rectifier and a 7805 or equivalent regulator to avoid burning 115-235v off as heat from a big resistor?

60:1 transformers are rare these days because they’re big, heavy, and expensive.

Switched‐mode power supplies have been in increasing use since the 1970s.

It’s not that unusual to have a 12 V wall wart (still not transformer based) and then burn off 7 V in a linear regulator, though. Like, the LEDs in a clock might run off 12 V but the logic uses 5V. The designer could put a DC‐DC converter inside for the logic but :effort:.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 11, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Baronjutter posted:

It's also a fire death trap

With proper firebreaks, is it any worse than platform framing?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

hailthefish posted:

I was sure they must be available in the US, if only as a niche weird thing, but there's nothing. The closest I could find was wireless remote controlled outlets. It almost makes me wonder if there's something specifically prohibiting them from being a thing.
There's this option if you like your outlets to be life-hackier, but I've never seen one in the wild.

MC Jaded Burnout posted:

My poo poo still arcs all the time.

You don't want to run 5v more than 3-10 feet. 12v not much more. And anything higher you need roughly the same power supply you use for AC.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 11, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

DC distribution can make sense for data centres, which use 100% DC power and use it by the megawatt, but it will never make sense in the home.
Also, in the datacenter everything that runs off DC is standardized for 48V DC, not the mishmash of voltages that you see in domestic use.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 11, 2017

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
There's something ironic over the latest post on mcmansionhell, but i can't quite put my finger on it.

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/162849451716/announcement

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Frobbe posted:

There's something ironic over the latest post on mcmansionhell, but i can't quite put my finger on it.

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/162849451716/announcement

They pretty much have to do this now as a consequence of the zillow mess, also they are only asking for attribution which isn't so bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HERAK posted:

They pretty much have to do this now as a consequence of the zillow mess

How so?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Defending their original work much like what zillow thought they were doing, and they want the ad revenue and the opportunity to get people supporting them on patreon. Won't get that on imgur with no attribution.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Basically over the last day or so someone's rehosting all her work as imgur posts without attribution.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

Basically over the last day or so someone's rehosting all her work as imgur posts without attribution.

You can never know but I wonder if it is zillow doing it as petty revenge.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Also, in the datacenter everything that runs off DC is standardized for 48V DC, not the mishmash of voltages that you see in domestic use.

The main use I nearly went with was something like 6kW of LEDs at 24VDC. Didn't end up fitting them but if I had then the space and access required for localising the converters to the LED runs would have been annoying enough to warrant a 24V bus or ten.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

60:1 transformers are rare these days because they’re big, heavy, and expensive.

Switched‐mode power supplies have been in increasing use since the 1970s.

It’s not that unusual to have a 12 V wall wart (still not transformer based) and then burn off 7 V in a linear regulator, though. Like, the LEDs in a clock might run off 12 V but the logic uses 5V. The designer could put a DC‐DC converter inside for the logic but :effort:.

I'm pretty sure most USB outputting switching chargers still have a flyback transformer. Cheap ones you shouldn't use: http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html , OEM ones built for safety: http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Phanatic posted:

With proper firebreaks, is it any worse than platform framing?

Correct, it's fine if you install stops correctly. Given it's history, that's one thing any competent building inspector will spend time checking. I built a balloon framed house in 2015, the architect and client had it designed that way because they wanted to insulate the exterior of the rim joist and total exterior wall height for both floors was under 16' (cathedral second floor ceiling under the roof framing).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
McMansionHell has legit copyright to protect with the attributed images. Zillow was being an enormous back of idiot dicks.

It's not really the same at all.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We used to use the switched outlets to turn off appliances that were sensitive when the power went whacky (which was a sadly regular thing where we'd have days of brownouts and surges) without having to unplug everything completely. Then at some point my family invested in surge protectors/UPS units that essentially solved the problem and didn't rely on us realizing the power was acting up and running around to flip all the outlets.

I used to appreciate them for the situation where you're reaching behind a piece of furniture to try and plug something in blind, you can turn off the outlet and not worry that you're going to zap yourself while fumbling around trying to get the plug seated. I didn't bother once and got shocked, which was certainly a valuable learning experience. I was probably lucky I didn't get any real damage, given that it was 240v.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

HERAK posted:

You can never know but I wonder if it is zillow doing it as petty revenge.

No, because Zillow is a company, not a child.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

People working for Zillow can be children though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

High Lord Elbow posted:

No, because Zillow is a company, not a child.

Never underestimate the ability of companies to be incredibly petty.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's always possible that, since it's a chick on the internet, some rear end in a top hat red pill'ers are doing it of their own volition.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I like to think someone thought it was funny so they wanted to share the funny thing with other people on the internet to make them laugh, but didn't think about copyright or any of that mess.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Dunno if here or osha
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article160635629.html

Art collective less than 100mi from oakland has a bunch of unpermitted modifications that violate code. City appears to be willing to work with them, but it costs money, so apparently they're "anti-art."

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I like to think someone thought it was funny so they wanted to share the funny thing with other people on the internet to make them laugh, but didn't think about copyright or any of that mess.
Also the original site is on Tumblr, which is going to be blocked any any content filtering system.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Doctor Butts posted:

It's always possible that, since it's a chick on the internet, some rear end in a top hat red pill'ers are doing it of their own volition.

I think it's more likely that fans started doing it so that the images would still be available in the event that her poo poo was going to be shut down. Remember, she pulled the site for a while so it's reasonable that some people would think "poo poo, let's mirror this stuff in case it disappears for good."

nm posted:

Art collective less than 100mi from oakland has a bunch of unpermitted modifications that violate code. City appears to be willing to work with them, but it costs money, so apparently they're "anti-art."

quote:

Panama Pottery is the home base for 10 artists who contributed to the popular Art Street installation in February. Its list of tenants includes well-known artists like Shaun Burner, Jared Tharp, Meg Myers and Waylon Horner....Artists pay between $125 and $350 a month to rent stalls, offices and other work spaces...DeCamilla said it would likely take thousands of dollars to address the city’s complaints.

He's taking in thousands a month in revenue, but can't afford a one-time payment of thousands to have fire exits.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 11, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As a husband of someone who runs a similar outfit, I can assure you that most places like that are not making any kind of real profit. Rent and utilities and management eat up a ton of money. That said, after Ghost Ship, anyone in charge of such a place that isn't falling over themselves in a rush to meet fire codes is criminally stupid. Literally, as in, so stupid they are risking jail time on manslaughter charges stupid.

The thing to do is hit your tenants up for cash, try to get grants or loans, etc. but in the meantime, borrow and get the loving work done immediately. And if you can do that, you close your doors, because that's better than murdering artists.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 11, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

'Ghost Ship Hysteria' is so deceptive. It sounds like it should be some sort of seaside town mass hallucination about undead pirates, but it's actually just justified concern over fire code violations. :(

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Ashcans posted:

'Ghost Ship Hysteria' is so deceptive. It sounds like it should be some sort of seaside town mass hallucination about undead pirates, but it's actually just justified concern over fire code violations. :(

if there isn't a movie based on an untold true story starring mark wahlberg as the maverick fire inspector getting stonewalled by the powerful art house lobby, I will be sad

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If there's any regulations that are good to go overboard on it's loving fire safety.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

And it's not as if code is even some lofty standard to live up to. People treat code as some kind of pie-in-the-sky, "oh Timmy, someday we'll be able to build to that" aspirational dream when in reality it's a bare minimum. It's not the top of the castle. It's the floor. And people are sitting here paying to live and work in the drat sub basement like 'well we can't complain you know at least it's a space'. :aaa:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
But what if my charred corpse is my art?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The rent is too damned high. We need to let people live in trucks, glorified cardboard boxes, and literal cardboard boxes instead of trying to fix the housing catastrofuck.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Why pay to renovate these places if POOR people are going to end up living in them?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Seems to me that a craftsmanlike person could garner favorable exposure for their artistic endeavors if they also practices a trade and contributed to their upkeep of some of these places. I mean, a person will always go father if they can turn the wheels, but if you're already working with your hands and have an ideological attachment to the co-op society, then this kind of thing should be a slam-dunk.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Why pay to renovate these places if POOR people are going to end up living in them?

Because they'll just ruin them again?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually if you renovate these places, their value goes up and the poor people can't afford them any more. The main culprit is the property value crisis in california. San Francisco used to have a wealth of artist spaces: almost all of them are just gone, because property owners evicted the cheapo tenants, fixed them up, and then leased them to much nicer businesses that can afford to pay five times the rent. That trend has continued.

We are literally in a situation where a building that is up to fire code is too expensive for artists, so they actively seek lovely below-code slum buildings in which to practice their impoverished trade. I'm really sympathetic.

That said, it's not a valid excuse for endangering the lives of your tenants. If you are running an artist space co-op or whatever, and you cannot afford to make it safe, then you have to close the gently caress down and go do something else. It really sucks and we need to do more to help artists be able to make their work in an environment of gentrification, but... yeah, you can't let people burn to death. Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if artists in ohio or arkansas have that problem. Why do starving artists always want to live in the expensive cities?