Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I was setting up a new tent in the back yard to get practice before actually camping with it.

It appears to be... acceptable.

(We had to go back into the house to get him to leave. He was in full-on nap mode after this picture was taken)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

I was setting up a new tent in the back yard to get practice before actually camping with it.

It appears to be... acceptable.

(We had to go back into the house to get him to leave. He was in full-on nap mode after this picture was taken)

haha wow, he seems pretty thrilled! Hopefully he didn't stretch his legs along the ground and unintentionally nick/slice open the tent bottom, since I just know Tazo would do just that, given the opportunity! :D

Speaking of him, he finally destroyed his squeaky ball/toy the other day (after around four months at least, from memory. A new record! Certainly beats four weeks at most), so I got him a new one for outdoors, as well as a stuffed warthog for when he's inside. I didn't think the warthog would last long (especially as it turns out that it makes this odd snort-ish noise when it's squeezed), but it's actually still perfectly fine, after a few days of constant love and abuse.
He actually refuses to go to bed now, unless if he's allowed to take the warthog with him, even! He'll just clamp down on it and refuse to budge, haha

The little rascal also doesn't like it when I try and take the warthog either; both when he's it's just laying on the ground nearby, or when he's been playing with it. He'll just bolt upright, then block my hand with his snout, and clamp his paw down on top of the warthog. :D He's a funny one; since when he's laying down with it, he always grabs it/clings to it like a teddy.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Adorable :kimchi:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thread lurker here, why do greyhounds always look like you just eviscerated their teddy bear in front of them and then canceled Christmas forever?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
All sighthounds are hard to read imo. I think it's the big eye/droopy ear combo.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Cythereal posted:

Thread lurker here, why do greyhounds always look like you just eviscerated their teddy bear in front of them and then canceled Christmas forever?
I think sometimes they're worried that you might be about to force them to move (off the couch or whatever they're currently resting on), which is about on the same as cancelling Christmas.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Eifert Posting posted:

All sighthounds are hard to read imo. I think it's the big eye/droopy ear combo.

Yeah, because their eyes are set forward and their snouts are narrow for improved vision, sight hounds just tend to have big looking eyes. Add floppy, droopy ears and they often look really sad.

At least with their mouths closed. They have some silly happy grins, and when Sparty has his ears up he looks like an adorable clown

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Might be a question for a professional, but I can't tell which of these is a dog and which is a stuffed giraffe, any guesses?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Which one farts worse?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Which one pees on and/or destroys everything you love?

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Don't know need more pics as evidence...for science of course!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I have some sad news. Last Friday, Casey passed away unexpectedly. We think it was most likely a blood clot.

At around 11pm we let the dogs out into the back yard, and he ran outside as enthusiastically as always. About 2 minutes later I went to let them back in and he was unresponsive. We have an emergency vet just down the street, and they tried CPR but it was too late. At least since it was so sudden he couldn't have suffered.

It's been a difficult week for me and Rhoga. Casey was full of enthusiasm and always made his presence known. So there are a lot of little things that remind me of his absence. Like how every time I got dressed, he would come nose my legs while I was trying to put on pants.

Here's my favorite picture of Casey. Rhoga took it on Tess's birthday two years ago:

This big dummy didn't realize he was too large to sit on my lap. He did this on his own, I didn't pull him over:

What's personal space?

You can see in that last photo he had a bandage on his foot, from one of his many foot injuries. He really loved to run, and overdid it sometimes. Tennis balls were his favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0-Al5nCmU

He was a good boy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Very sorry to hear that

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
:( I'm so sorry for your loss. A very good boy indeed

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I'm so sorry :(: he was a beautiful boy and I'm sure he loved you tremendously. Please give Tess lots of fuss. It is awful when a pet dies but we can get some comfort from the remaining ones.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, that's terrible! I'm so sorry for your loss. Thankfully it's at least a small mercy, that he didn't suffer. :( Very sad news, though

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Oh no I am so sorry for your loss Casey was the best spotty long dog! My heart is broken for you both and for Tess. I know nothing I can say can make it better but I am thinking of you.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Here's some pictures of Tess, since she's been helping to comfort us.

I mean look at this weirdo!

She loves pillows, and made one out of the pair of comforters we have on the spare bed. They're supposed to keep her off the sheets, whoops.

She even has her own pillow!

And here she is being a desk dog.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

I'm so sorry :(: he was a beautiful boy and I'm sure he loved you tremendously. Please give Tess lots of fuss. It is awful when a pet dies but we can get some comfort from the remaining ones.

What if I only have one dog :smith:

I was thinking quite a bit about Abby this weekend and I got quite emotional. Even though she is in good health, she is 9.5 and it's tough to watch her get old.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Here she is at her yearly checkup yesterday

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Genovera posted:

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Here's some pictures of Tess, since she's been helping to comfort us.

I mean look at this weirdo!

She loves pillows, and made one out of the pair of comforters we have on the spare bed. They're supposed to keep her off the sheets, whoops.

She even has her own pillow!

And here she is being a desk dog.

Tess is a very pretty hound, she looks gorgeous :swoon: I hope she is getting spoiled rotten for helping you

actionjackson posted:

What if I only have one dog :smith:

I was thinking quite a bit about Abby this weekend and I got quite emotional. Even though she is in good health, she is 9.5 and it's tough to watch her get old.

And that is why you should get at least one more. Can't let that pretty Abby hound around alone, after all! :colbert:

More seriously, the rescue we got Spartacus from just sent out an email; apparently an owner died unexpectedly and his 10 year old lady hound needs a new home. The story of her missing her human is killing me and I have to keep reminding myself not to get another dog :cry:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

And that is why you should get at least one more. Can't let that pretty Abby hound around alone, after all! :colbert:

More seriously, the rescue we got Spartacus from just sent out an email; apparently an owner died unexpectedly and his 10 year old lady hound needs a new home. The story of her missing her human is killing me and I have to keep reminding myself not to get another dog :cry:

Well I'm only one person, and I don't really think Abby wants another dog around tbh.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I don't think I ever posted one of my other favorite pictures of Casey. You can tell he was a big monster because the sticker on his noggin says so :3:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, just wondering - do any of your long doggos cross their forelegs, when lounging about? Since Tazo does that all the time, when having a relax inside.

Here he is having a very serious snooze, after sparring with his warthog in the study. No, not playing - serious dogs conducting serious business don't 'play', thank you very much :colbert:
(Normally his other leg is actually folded closer to his chest as well, rather than sticking straight out - so it does genuinely look a lot like he's crossing his arms, haha)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I have never seen Spartacus do that, though occasionally all four legs get tangled up in a big mess on the couch.

However, inspired by Taz and his warthog as well as Sparty stealing a plush spider my spouse had, I bought him a new toy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOI2ygr60Pw

It was a solid fifteen minutes of this, by the end of which he was so excited he did his little spin-out thing I showed in another video, then he crashed on the tile for a nap.

I think he likes it :3:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

I have never seen Spartacus do that, though occasionally all four legs get tangled up in a big mess on the couch.

However, inspired by Taz and his warthog as well as Sparty stealing a plush spider my spouse had, I bought him a new toy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOI2ygr60Pw

It was a solid fifteen minutes of this, by the end of which he was so excited he did his little spin-out thing I showed in another video, then he crashed on the tile for a nap.

I think he likes it :3:

hahah, it certainly seems like it! :D How's it holding up, now? Those plushies (well, some of them at least) seem to be deceptively durable, which is handy.
On that topic, hopefully he didn't do too much damage to that spider, either! haha

And yeah, that's odd. Maybe he's seen me cross my arms a lot, and figured he'd give it a go, heh.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

hahah, it certainly seems like it! :D How's it holding up, now? Those plushies (well, some of them at least) seem to be deceptively durable, which is handy.
On that topic, hopefully he didn't do too much damage to that spider, either! haha

And yeah, that's odd. Maybe he's seen me cross my arms a lot, and figured he'd give it a go, heh.
The spider was fine besides some drool thankfully, he took it back to his bed which was super cute and what gave me the idea :3: It has sentimental value so we're glad it wasn't seriously damaged.

As for the lion: a couple rips and tears, and stuffing out of one of the legs, plus a lot of hair from the mane is gone. Honestly it's going pretty well for what I expected, and I think Sparty just enjoys mouthing it, unlike Cookie who must shred and destroy any and all toys. That quacking noise is really weird, and there are regular squeakers in it too.

She's still the better dog because she limits her destruction explicitly to her toys, unlike Mr. I will eat books and cardboard boxes and tear open plastic bags on the table :colbert:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 27, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
:burger::burger::burger:
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/900213427175649281

She was so excited she grabbed the top of the bun and ran off with it.
Even better was Idunn did the exact same thing with her burger. :allears:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Wren! That tongue is adorable.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Also this thread needs more hounds; exhibit A - as Tortolia says "That's not how you bed".

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Happy birthday Wren! :D

Fuzz Feets posted:

Also this thread needs more hounds; exhibit A - as Tortolia says "That's not how you bed".

Ok.

What's this?

What is going on?!

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

Ugh. Gross.

Bonus Cookie and a Spartacus butt:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/900497050378182656

Also don't think I ever shared this drawing I did of my mutts.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/872066979732967424

wyoming fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 24, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
(Slightly late) Happy birthday, Wren! Pretty lucky, getting that burger :D
Oh, and your post reminded me; the 22nd was the one year anniversary of me fostering (then later formally adopting) Tazo!

Although li'l Taz is a year older, he still hates being told to go to bed just as much, as above. :D Although he's still going to end up sleeping, (indoors, at that) so I'm not sure what the big deal is, he just doesn't like being anywhere other than in the study - preferably with me there, too.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 29, 2017

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Wow very elegant doggy

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

The snoot pic of Tess is so good it slays me

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aww, such a good doggo! (and what a snoot!) :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
A very concerned doggo. A good doggo.

:swoon:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Been a couple days I need a Sparty pic or two. Bonus Cookie accepted also please and thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

Been a couple days I need a Sparty pic or two. Bonus Cookie accepted also please and thanks!

Be careful what you wish for

A bad doggo

A good better doggo

Good doggos

Bonus Cookie with bed head

I've been worried I've been monopolizing the thread with my crappy dog pictures so I've been trying to cut back. THANKS FOR ENABLING MY ADDICTION

Let's get some more long dog pics in here! Show off yer hounds! :stoat: