Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Wolf among us was really good,even my mum who's only ever played one game in her life enjoyed watching it.Walking dead was good and I enjoyed it but apparently this finale sucks and they've glossed over any choices you've made? :[

I played one episode of the Batman Telltale and it was dogshit,just like no effort put into any presentation which really is a no no for me.

Content : I was playing dishonoured and during the end of the game when a certain place you call home gets raided I snuck upto my room and saw a guard pissing on my bed,i have no idea whether it was intentional or just a weird idle quirk or what but that fucker is getting turned into a crossbow porcupine.
Dishonored is full of little things like that. The world can be pretty bleak, but they try to breathe some life into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you steal poo poo during the party, the guests just go "nice job, everyone's doing it, my servant is smuggling silverware for me."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Wolf among us was really good,even my mum who's only ever played one game in her life enjoyed watching it.Walking dead was good and I enjoyed it but apparently this finale sucks and they've glossed over any choices you've made? :[

All the people who made season 1 of The Walking Dead good jumped ship to make their own independent studios once it would up being such a smash hit, which is why the sequels feel like a step down. That's kind of the bittersweet thing about Telltale's success and the way it revitalized the adventure game genre, it being so successful meant that it suffered a ton of brain drain and with the market getting more competitiveand crowded it had to rely more and more on big-name IPs for marketing purposes rather than whether or not it would actually make for a good game.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Tales From the Borderlands is the first Borderlands game I played. I bought Borderlands 2 and played it all the way through twice (Gaige). I've since bought but never finished the first Borderlands game and the Pre-Sequel. I just can't get in to them.
TftB is still the best of the bunch.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wolf Among Us was great aside from the fact that they clearly planned for it to be a murder mystery in episode 1, but then it feels like they decided to drop that direction and near the beginning of the final episode, they just casually tell you who the killer is :smith: It was following Knox rules and everything.

Wolf Among Us is probably one of the better examples of "hey the poo poo you did DOES actually matter", especially during the trial section at the end. Of all people I had GRENDEL fighting tooth and nail to defend me, although I will say Beauty and Beast can get hosed for condemning me just because I said I wouldn't murder the bad guy to erase their debts :mad: I DID kill him in the end, but not for their bougie bullshit. Bigby casually throwing down the bad guy's corpse in front of the trial made me laugh though :v:

I super didn't like BL1 or 2, but I'm thinking of giving Tales From a shot since it seems pretty unanimously liked.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Danaru posted:

Wolf Among Us was great aside from the fact that they clearly planned for it to be a murder mystery in episode 1, but then it feels like they decided to drop that direction and near the beginning of the final episode, they just casually tell you who the killer is :smith: It was following Knox rules and everything.

I super didn't like BL1 or 2, but I'm thinking of giving Tales From a shot since it seems pretty unanimously liked.
They clearly did shift directions. One of the next episode previews had Frau Totenkinder, a major character in the comics make an appearance, but she never actually showed up in the actual episode.

Also yes, the main borderlands series is terrible, so its really amazing how great Tales from the Borderland turned out. It must have put Gearbox in an awkward position, because there is no way they can match the quality of Telltale.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Tales of the Borderlands is a fantastic little game. You can tell when the original Borderlands writer gets involved though - characters start ranting about homophobia and misogyny in one scene, when it's never come up before. :v:

The Secret World, again, does something similar. You're not the Chosen One, you're a Chosen One - the abstract god/concept/thing/whatever that's empowered you has actually empowered several thousand people to protect itself and, by extension, Earth.

There's even a couple of late game cutscenes where you see your mission handler dealing with newly empowered NPCs that are walking around in the same goofy clothes, wearing the same vacant :downs: expression.

In one early mission the bad guy grumbles that there's no point killing you, you'll just respawn.

On a later mission you go up against several (NPC) Agents from another faction. Every time they die they respawn at the nearest Agartha portal, meaning you kill them repeatedly as you try to make progress.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They clearly did shift directions. One of the next episode previews had Frau Totenkinder, a major character in the comics make an appearance, but she never actually showed up in the actual episode.

Also there was the then-unprecedented delay of like three or four months between episodes. The scuttlebutt from the time was that either the comic creator objected to a plotline about human cops being involved in fairytale affairs or that eagle-eyed gamers had solved the mystery ahead of time by identifying a background NPC who showed up multiple times or both, but regardless they obviously dropped the ball at some point and it makes me glad that I never bother with Telltale games until they're finished.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Lone Badger posted:

In one early mission the bad guy grumbles that there's no point killing you, you'll just respawn.

On a later mission you go up against several (NPC) Agents from another faction. Every time they die they respawn at the nearest Agartha portal, meaning you kill them repeatedly as you try to make progress.

The best dungeon boss ever Dr Klein mocks you if you wipe to him.

"Remarkable regenerative abilities!"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
One thing I was always confused about is why does Grendel have both eyes when he's yelling at you for going to your job, and for the rest of the game he only has one? If they ever explained it, I managed to miss it :saddowns: I thought it was going to be a clue

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
How's the GoT Telltale series? It's free this month on PS+

Worth playing at that price?

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Crack In The Slab might be the best level in any game ever.
So if you manage to knock Stilton unconscious and hide his body he won't be driven insane by meeting Delilah, and at the start of the next level he'll be on your boat, acting like he's been helping you this entire time. Great little moment.
Also if you do this, Meagan won't have tried to rescue Stilton, and thus won't have got in the fight she lost her arm and other eye in. She's all fine for the rest of the game and nobody mentions it because it's always been like that for them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

synthetik posted:

If you watch game of thrones you might enjoy it. Unlike borderlands though it requires more familiarity with the source material to enjoy it. Its also notoriously linear even by telltale standards. So like most telltale games, only ever play it once and move on.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

synthetik posted:

It's bad, it's peak 'your choices don't matter'

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
In Mafia 3, the radio gets staticy when you go underground or in tunnels.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Nordick posted:

It's the only Telltale game I've played, and I think I'll keep it that way because I just don't think the others could live up to it and I'm not a big fan of such adventure games in general. But TftB is just so fantastic. Like someone somewhere said, I was not expecting to get emotionally invested in a Borderlands game, but welp.

As for a nice little thing in that game, I liked how when the group found a big treasure, all the stuff lying on the ground had those beams sticking out of them coloured by loot rarity, just like in the original shooter games, eventhough it served no practical purpose in Tales. A neat little nod to its roots, imo.

Telltale Batman is really good so far but I still have two episodes left for them to gently caress it all up.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

synthetik posted:

It feels like the worst kind of tie-in novel/fanfiction where it's just the same thing that happens in the main show happening to some never before mentioned characters, only it's written worse and the actors give less of a poo poo.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

synthetik posted:

If you're a fan of GoT, especially the world building that it does, it's absolutely worth playing (especially free!) But if not, I can't imagine anyone enjoying it. I loved it but I can def see why it's typically panned.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I took a lot of obviously terrible choices in GoT. The new Night's Watch guy? The cockiest rear end in a top hat ever. The wounded soldier in charge of the family? Always stays silent whenever someone asks him question. Yet when bad things happened it didn't feel like it was a result of my actions. It felt like it would have happened anyway.

You should never replay (parts of) Telltale games because you really start to see the seams, the illusion of choice. With GoT I saw that illusion two episodes in without any replaying. I quit after the third one.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Jul 12, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I feel like an rear end in a top hat now because Wolf Among Us pissed me off with the ending so bad that I swore off all Telltale games from the point on. I was on board with the trial thinking, 'Yeah! My choices DO matter!' unlike Walking Dead and then [/spoiler]Bigby just throws the dude down the well anyway and says, 'So what?' The slender man (or whatever his name was) was right! I hosed up SO BAD throughout the entire game (and entirely by accident it felt) and he won over the crowd completely and everyone was siding with him and it felt, for a moment, Bigby was going to get gangrushed and chucked in the well... Nope.[/spoiler] Everything is reset and ready for a second season that never came anyway.

I understand not every game can be Alpha Protocol (:allears:) but a point and click adventure game has way less to it than a full on rpg and... I dunno. I was just expecting better and felt cheated by the whole thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Regrettable posted:

Telltale Batman is really good so far but I still have two episodes left for them to gently caress it all up.

As a batman fan i really enjoyed it for the ways it subverts your expectations about established characters. They were clearly given more freedom than usual for these kind of things.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Drunken Baker posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat now because Wolf Among Us pissed me off with the ending so bad that I swore off all Telltale games from the point on. I was on board with the trial thinking, 'Yeah! My choices DO matter!' unlike Walking Dead and then

Telltale games are kinda like Bethesda games in that respect - everyone knows the central conceit about consequence and freedom is bullshit, but still buy and play the thing expecting it to be different. :iiam:

They really need to lose the message about the game adapting itself to how you play.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Drunken Baker posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat now because Wolf Among Us pissed me off with the ending so bad that I swore off all Telltale games from the point on. I was on board with the trial thinking, 'Yeah! My choices DO matter!' unlike Walking Dead and then [/spoiler]Bigby just throws the dude down the well anyway and says, 'So what?' The slender man (or whatever his name was) was right! I hosed up SO BAD throughout the entire game (and entirely by accident it felt) and he won over the crowd completely and everyone was siding with him and it felt, for a moment, Bigby was going to get gangrushed and chucked in the well... Nope.[/spoiler] Everything is reset and ready for a second season that never came anyway.

I understand not every game can be Alpha Protocol (:allears:) but a point and click adventure game has way less to it than a full on rpg and... I dunno. I was just expecting better and felt cheated by the whole thing.

But you 100% know that Bigby can't get chucked in the well or anything like that - just like anyone who has read the comics knows that Snow White doesn't die in the first episode or whatever - this game takes place like thirty years before the comics do, so you know that certain people are going to be alive. It was more interesting for the characters who don't get mentioned in the comics proper, like that guy you get to save in the second(?) chapter if you go to his place first.

Edit: Also Bigby is one of the most powerful Fables around. If he doesn't want to get chucked in the well, he is not going to get chucked in the well, gangrush or no.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Horizon Zero Dawn: I like that the reward box items you receive just stay in your inventory if you can't take all of whatever it holds. It's like extra inventory space, in a way. Glad I don't have to just leave everything there like some boxes in the world.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Drunken Baker posted:

I love Alpha Protocol as much as anyone but its finale and ending is pretty much always exactly the same with the only difference being who is waiting in what room and which person rides off into the sunset with you at the end.

Then again my favorite Telltale game is Borderlands and it has probably the most linear and immutable ending of any of their games I've played so I don't consider that to be too big a mark against it either way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

graybook posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn: I like that the reward box items you receive just stay in your inventory if you can't take all of whatever it holds. It's like extra inventory space, in a way. Glad I don't have to just leave everything there like some boxes in the world.

It's a good way to compensate for the limited inventory space - instead of a quest giving you a cool item that you can't fit in your pack it just gives a reward box for the one part of the inventory that is infinite. Makes the whole finite inventory thing pointless though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

I love Alpha Protocol as much as anyone but its finale and ending is pretty much always exactly the same with the only difference being who is waiting in what room and which person rides off into the sunset with you at the end.

A lot of poo poo that goes down in the finale is totally different. For example, when it comes to parker/marburg, depending on how you played, one may be dead, one may try to kill the other, Marburg can respect you so much he just fucks off, and so on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
AP is an IP that would have suited Telltale perfectly, funnily enough. The weakest part of AP was the actual gameplay side of things - strip that out, focus entirely on relationships and your methods during a mission, pow.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

AP is an IP that would have suited Telltale perfectly, funnily enough. The weakest part of AP was the actual gameplay side of things - strip that out, focus entirely on relationships and your methods during a mission, pow.

Yes and no - I really like it when stuff like relatioships and whatnot is tied to a core gameplay conceit, like getting bonuses to different stats from treating people right or pissing them off. Like, Persona 5, for example - wouldn't give a poo poo about the game if it was just relationship stuff (I mean, okay, mostly because they aren't quite as interesting), except that those bonuses you get to the rest of the game for having better relatioships with your links.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Telltale got Borderlands mechanics into a point and click game. They can figure out a way to give you gameplay bonuses for hanging up on too many people, or smashing their noses when you barrel through a door. :colbert:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Telltale got Borderlands mechanics into a point and click game. They can figure out a way to give you gameplay bonuses for hanging up on too many people, or smashing their noses when you barrel through a door. :colbert:

So what you're saying is, Telltale's modern Quest for Glory/Alpha Protocol blend?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Edit: Also Bigby is one of the most powerful Fables around. If he doesn't want to get chucked in the well, he is not going to get chucked in the well, gangrush or no.
I haven't read the comics, but I understood that Bigby is actually like "demigod powerful" and everyone is more or less worried that the guy goes feral again (like he did in the "home" universe) and starts ripping heads off as a hobby?

Not exactly the character depicted in the Telltale series, though, If I remember correctly those two idiots Dumbeldee and that other rear end in a top hat managed to beat him and the trolls gave him lip like some rear end in a top hat punks.

I stopped my play-through because I got bored with the constant "cut-scene incompetence" and after 3 episodes, not actually having accomplished anything but being beaten up by every rear end in a top hat the story decided to run me across. Maybe I should pick it up again?

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Jul 12, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

I haven't read the comics, but I understood that Bigby is actually like "demigod powerful" and everyone is more or less worried that the guy goes feral again (like he did in the "home" universe) and starts ripping heads off as a hobby?

Not exactly the character depicted in the Telltale series, though, If I remember correctly those two idiots Dumbeldee and that other rear end in a top hat managed to beat him and the trolls gave him lip like some rear end in a top hat punks.

I stopped my play-through because I got bored with the constant "cut-scene incompetence" and after 3 episodes, not actually having accomplished anything but being beaten up by every rear end in a top hat the story decided to run me across. Maybe I should pick it up again?

Basically Bigby is the iconic Big Bad Wolf in any story involving Big Bad Wolves and that includes things like having the ability to blow down houses or surviving having his stomach cut open and filled with stones or whatever. He used to be a genuinely awful monster who killed/ate people but is trying (and possibly failing) to reform. Unfortunately the author's got Issues so this doesn't work so well story-wise.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I started a replay of Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (PS2 version) for the hell of it, because that game is entirely little things. The story is fairly barebones like most of the games, but the fights are kinda fun even if losing is rarely in the cards due to how easy the game is, and I like exploring Hogwarts in that game because there are a lot of things you can interact with to get "Discovery points". It's a pretty transparent skinner box, just making a wand motion to get a number to go up, but the number unlocks cast interviews and things like that in the Room of Rewards, which is a neat way of adding that kind of thing - better than a plain menu. Also the gatekeeper of the secrets is Moaning Myrtle, making really cute use of her crush on Harry because she discovered the room and told him about it, so to her it's ~their room~. Whenever you unlock more stuff at each discovery point tier, she shows up and tells you with a cute little canned phrase like "There's lots to see in our ~*Secret Room~* Harry!" It's all really cute. :3:

Also the minigames are actual full games - Wizard chess is a literal game of chess against increasingly difficult opponents, Gobstones is a marble simulator, and the hardest game due to awkwardly implemented motion controls (on the PS2 their on the right analog stick, which is fine for wand stuff, it actually works really well, but not so good for physics minigames) and exploding snap's tricky, but fun.

It also knows how to make some fights fairly satisfying - your spells get stronger as you level up your discovery, and each level adds a little to the effect, like Rictusempra/stupify have "strands" that home in, and each level adds a new strand to increase the damage. When it's time for Dumbledore to fight Voldemort at the Ministry of magic, you control him, so your spells are way more powerful than Harry likely has at that point and it's a really neat fight, with a bunch of unique patterns that Voldemort goes through.

I really like that game.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jul 12, 2017

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

poptart_fairy posted:

I got to punch a cocaine loaded gangster down while turn up the radio blared over his rocking sound system. That's good gameplay.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

As a batman fan i really enjoyed it for the ways it subverts your expectations about established characters. They were clearly given more freedom than usual for these kind of things.

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I've been having so much fun with it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Wolf Among Us is the perfect rear end in a top hat simulator:

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

RagnarokAngel posted:

My favorite thing about that game was the very end, when they show you which percentage of players chose which option. Most of them were pretty close to being a 50/50 split, except for the choice of whether or not to sleep with Selena Kyle, which roughly 90% of players did

And to touch back on Tales, it cracked me up when they were building up to a big melodramatic Telltale Death Choice with Sasha, only for her seemingly fatal fall to end up only being a few feet

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Alhazred posted:

The Wolf Among Us is the perfect rear end in a top hat simulator:

The 'best' part of that is a whole swathe of nerds apparently not knowing what 'glass him' meant and thinking it meant "pour him a glass of beer" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BioEnchanted posted:

I started a replay of Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (PS2 version) for the hell of it, because that game is entirely little things. The story is fairly barebones like most of the games, but the fights are kinda fun even if losing is rarely in the cards due to how easy the game is, and I like exploring Hogwarts in that game because there are a lot of things you can interact with to get "Discovery points". It's a pretty transparent skinner box, just making a wand motion to get a number to go up, but the number unlocks cast interviews and things like that in the Room of Rewards, which is a neat way of adding that kind of thing - better than a plain menu. Also the gatekeeper of the secrets is Moaning Myrtle, making really cute use of her crush on Harry because she discovered the room and told him about it, so to her it's ~their room~. Whenever you unlock more stuff at each discovery point tier, she shows up and tells you with a cute little canned phrase like "There's lots to see in our ~*Secret Room~* Harry!" It's all really cute. :3:

Also the minigames are actual full games - Wizard chess is a literal game of chess against increasingly difficult opponents, Gobstones is a marble simulator, and the hardest game due to awkwardly implemented motion controls (on the PS2 their on the right analog stick, which is fine for wand stuff, it actually works really well, but not so good for physics minigames) and exploding snap's tricky, but fun.

It also knows how to make some fights fairly satisfying - your spells get stronger as you level up your discovery, and each level adds a little to the effect, like Rictusempra/stupify have "strands" that home in, and each level adds a new strand to increase the damage. When it's time for Dumbledore to fight Voldemort at the Ministry of magic, you control him, so your spells are way more powerful than Harry likely has at that point and it's a really neat fight, with a bunch of unique patterns that Voldemort goes through.

I really like that game.

Have you played the Harry Potter GBC RPGS? I'd really like to read your takes on them.