Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Vaan is a good kid and saved FFXII from being the backstory to Evil Empress Ashelia defeated by four Warriors of Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Vaan is a good kid and saved FFXII from being the backstory to Evil Empress Ashelia defeated by four Warriors of Light.

That would have been a fun plot twist though, the final boss being in your party for the first half of the game

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Die Sexmonster! posted:

That would have been a fun plot twist though, the final boss being in your party for the first half of the game

Final Fantasy X did it, sort of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Star Ocean 4 did it. You don't want to be Star Ocean 4.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't care if this isn't optimal, I just feel good about these class choices. Note: I've not yet unlocked dualclassing.

Vaan: Monk/Uhlan
Penelo: Black Mage/Machinist
Balthier: White Mage/Shikari
Fran: Time Battlemage/Foebreaker
Basch: Knight/Archer
Ashe: Red Battlemage/Bushi

I'm surprised I had to think about which class I wanted to pick first before dualclassing was unlocked. I'm heading towards the Tomb Of Raithwall and I'd hate to think I didn't have someone who could use Cura, lest I make Balthier a Shikari to start or Ashe a Bushi.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I really dislike the zodiac age job name changes.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Okay here we go. Time to pick classes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

ok well what about final boss for half the game joins your party, is that overdone these days

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Or do it, and be another maverick riding the edge.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

ok well what about final boss for half the game joins your party, is that overdone these days

throne of bhaal :hehe:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Why is it everywhere I see with job suggestions Basch is always Archer?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I liked Magus too!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zaphod42 posted:

:ohdear: what's wrong with Balthier's.... *looks up your post history*
I was actually worried that I had only posted it in other threads and somehow not this one. It's one of those things that doesn't matter but is just slower enough to be noticeable and I am all about that deeps to the point where it's unhealthy :ohdear:

[ASK] me about Sazh and Vanille being the best characters in FF13 for damage somehow, and it not being remotely close (Blitz and Death respectively, since everyone could get Poison)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I was actually worried that I had only posted it in other threads and somehow not this one. It's one of those things that doesn't matter but is just slower enough to be noticeable and I am all about that deeps to the point where it's unhealthy :ohdear:

[ASK] me about Sazh and Vanille being the best characters in FF13 for damage somehow, and it not being remotely close (Blitz and Death respectively, since everyone could get Poison)

Yeah I totally get how it adds up for lots of DPS, especially playing on fast forward.

But for me, its all about flavor. Balthier is a sky pirate. Machinist just fits too drat well for that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zaphod42 posted:

But for me, its all about flavor. Balthier is a sky pirate. Machinist just fits too drat well for that.
Right?! It's an egregious fuckup for literally the most natural character/weapon combo in the entire game to be actively worse. I don't even disagree that like "oh he could use a bow" or whatever, there's no substitute for the Leading Man having a Flashy Gun. Not judging you at all.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Still think it's a shame that despite the game's settings and very varied races of peoples, your team still consists of nothing but humans and a human with bunny ears

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
the final boss of Xillia 1 joins you for the sequel which is pretty much the second half of Xillia if that counts I guess?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also for future reference, hitting the home button on the controller will not pause any cutscenes, which I think is a goofy oversight

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

hagie posted:

Why is it everywhere I see with job suggestions Basch is always Archer?

He has the highest strength and I think bows actually do benefit from that in their damage calculations

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Alrighty I'm thinking the following:

Vaan - Bushi/Knight
Penelo - Black Mage/Monk
Balthier - Breaker/Hunter
Fran - White Mage/Machinist
Ashe - Red Battlemage/Black Mage
Basch - Archer/Uhlan

Something like that. I am paralyzed. I feel like I want a time mage in there somewhere.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 11, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh god 12 permanent classes to choose from what do I assign to Vaan

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Is time mage worth it? Can you haste yourself then haste other party members then slow enemies or do debuffs like that only work on dumpy trash enemies making them not worth bothering with?

I've never played FF12 and I'm going to start it tonight.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Vaan's apparently good at everything so you can't really go wrong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Time Mage isn't good until way later because you don't get Haste until way later, and until then you're just a lousy crossbow guy.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Yo this x2 speed is amazing. I found x4 to be a bit unwieldy though.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Just beat Mimic Queen, and I remember that thing giving me a hell of a time way back when...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Time Mage isn't good until way later because you don't get Haste until way later, and until then you're just a lousy crossbow guy.

So time mage is a good secondary job then? What does it synergize best with? You can do all kinds of cool things with haste in RPGs.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Time Mage gets a far larger spell selection that Machinist does, so unless you really want to use guns Time Mage is a much better choice.

Elephant Ambush posted:

So time mage is a good secondary job then? What does it synergize best with? You can do all kinds of cool things with haste in RPGs.

Goes well with Bushi, which can use the 3 Swiftness, Heavy Armor, and actual spells. White and Red Mage also are decent.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 11, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

I took a glance at this to help give me some ideas:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75477310

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wish Fran's accent was a real accent that you could find in the world, I would move there for a while until it went from endearing to annoying

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kelp Me! posted:

I wish Fran's accent was a real accent that you could find in the world, I would move there for a while until it went from endearing to annoying

Personally I wish I could become a SeeD

e: or a gullwing

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I wish I was Brother.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kelp Me! posted:

Iceland?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
You don't HAVE to have Vaan in your party right? I made him a Shikari because I generally run with knight for main class but I don't think I want Vaan in my party all the time so

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man it's so much pressure, I never played the original XII, but is this system of permanent class assignment better than what was originally in place?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

Iceland?

yeah but you'd have to be some kind of jackass to go to iceland and expect to be spoken to in english until you got bored of hearing it

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Is there any reason to keep anything in the "loot" category or is all of that stuff meant to be sold?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Calaveron posted:

You don't HAVE to have Vaan in your party right? I made him a Shikari because I generally run with knight for main class but I don't think I want Vaan in my party all the time so

All six party members can be swapped in and out at will.

It's actually more efficient to use all six too, since the EXP curve in this game goes up rather quickly.

Meridian posted:

Is there any reason to keep anything in the "loot" category or is all of that stuff meant to be sold?

There is one loot item in the game that is used for another sidequest, it's called "Great Serpentskin" and you get it from a hunt.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 12, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

She talks like that "fat ninja" guy that cuts up bottled water with a katana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Man it's so much pressure, I never played the original XII, but is this system of permanent class assignment better than what was originally in place?

yes