Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I'm higher than most on Simmons (which sounds kinda ridiculous talking about a no. 1 overall pick), but if all his projected offensive skills translate then he doesn't need to be a knockdown shooter, just passable. He should have the athleticism to drive to the rim and score on the 4s that will be guarding him, as long as he is not Rondo/MCW bad so they totally ignore him on the perimeter and pack the paint he should be fine. I acknowledge there is a possibility he is an MCW level shooter in his rookie season, but hopefully that will develop along the way. You will have to guard him closely anyway when he has the ball in his hands because of his vision as a passer (better than Lonzo imho), it's just when he's off-ball that you want him to at least be 32% 3P so he doesn't kill the spacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Ben Simmons loving owns

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's gonna defend SF or PF so who cares what he calls himself

More worried about him offensively tbh

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/windhorstespn/status/884904378481745920

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/884904190790774784

lol

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

E_P posted:

Did the results ever get posted for that preseason questionnaire? With like rookie of the year and stuff.

I haven't finished tabulating all of it but I will later this month hopefully. Rest assured that nobody picked Malcolm Brogdon as the rookie WS/PER leader this past season.

JackBandit posted:

Concluding that Houston is a bad three point shooting team (in their strategy or their skill) because of their near zero A3NP is flawed logic, I think. You want a metric that takes all possessions like LgTS% rather than Lg3P%. It could be that accuracy and frequency are inversely related and so the optimal strategy is shooting more at a lower accuracy.

I wouldn't call HOU a bad 3P shooting team. Accuracy and frequency (3P% and 3PA) had a .13 correlation last year so they were barely related. Houston had a below average 3P% while also having the second best 2P% in the whole league (trailing only GSW). They had tons of awful 3P games: 6for37, 6for38, 9for40, 9for39, 13for51, 7for35 to name a few.

Houston's O isn't the main issue. It's their trash defense.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Who did the Thunder have last year other than Westbrook as a top 15 player? They completely turned it around and retooled and became a contender again this year.

The season hasn't started yet so it seems early to be designating teams as contenders.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 12, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shaq eats breakfast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwXdyQAOpco

EvanTH posted:

Aren't the NBA Post Jordan Dark Age Pistons the only counterexample to a team winning the title without at least two top guys?

You really only need one top WS/48 guy to do it. Many recent champions only have one.

Tae posted:

Why does nobody care when the suns shut down their only good players three months before the season's over

Some probably do but it's not much of a conversation starter. If someone posted an effort post/rant on that topic they'd surely get hit with a "Sir, this is a Burger King drive-thru" or "Sir, this is an Arby's counter" or "Madam, this is a White Castle."

Just like games between two fifteen win teams don't get prime time treatment.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That 2004 Pistons team was basically "Defense, Defense, Defense and also Defense".

They were holding people to sub-80 and sub-70 points in playoff games. It was a magical thing. In the Finals, the only two players on the Lakers to score more than 10 points in any of the 5 games were Shaq & Kobe.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Paul Zuvella posted:

Whoops, I totally forgot to respond to that. Unfortunately I just got this username from Lowtax, but it is awesome that you served a Yankees Legend.

Haha I had no idea who he was but he looked very very vaguely familiar. When I gave him his check the name popped out too. Wasn't til I came back on here that I had the 'a-ha' moment. Suuuuuuper cool guy, he comes in fairly often and he and his wife are great.

That's pretty funny about lowtax giving you the name though, total legend :v:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Simmons has to finish and he needs to not shoot horribly. But we know how amazing a truly big guy who can pass can be. Lebron and Jokic use their size to put balls anywhere. It's not fair to the other teams.

Simmons is a better passer than Lonzo Ball, without question. He's got eyes and eyes and eyes, and he's 6'11. That being said, there are several other basketball things he'll have to do to not be a huge disappointment

He's also got some 'tism which might not click with Fultz's sleepy excellence. Time will tell

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/JustinJett_/status/884572518794670080

https://twitter.com/JustinJett_/status/884546507940155392

Get em

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/thehoopcentral/status/884911987536175105

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/884914001133551616

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I want the Davis/Boogie team to actually be good and fun to watch god dammit

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's gonna defend SF or PF so who cares what he calls himself

I don't, but he seems hung up on it. Plenty of non-PGs run the offense full-time in the league or split duties, insisting loudly on being labeled the primary ball handler just comes off like he doesn't want to share his toys

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Please get Reggie off of Dejan's team so he can get his smile back

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Please get Reggie off of Dejan's team so he can get his smile back

Yeah but Kibner is going to be sad! (I think Kibner is a Pelicans fan?)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

pubic works project posted:

Yeah but Kibner is going to be sad! (I think Kibner is a Pelicans fan?)

His utilization would be severely limited in NO compared to Detroit and would, theoretically, cause less damage than he does to the Pistons. He could just blow the whole thing up, however. Atomic knees

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

he looks really interesting but at times looked out of his depth. I think he'd be better served starting in the d league than warming the bench and maybe following a capela like development trajectory over the next few years. Obviously needs to put on weight too, and just adjusting to the increased speed of the game and getting more consistent. But I really really like his potential.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Etwuan Moore is making like 8.7 for the next 3 years, Ajinca is making about 5m for the next 2 years, that adds up to around 3.5m less than Reggie making 17m a year for 3 years. But who the gently caress is playing point guard. Just Ish Smith and Beno? Gonna sign Monta? 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
There's not even anyone else out there. Tyler Ennis? Ty Lawson? Bobby Brown? Ronnie Price? Trading Tobias Harris for a pg? Starting Michael Gbinje as a pg?

I would take the trade, because I don't want to rely on Reggie's chewed up knees holding up. Everything I criticized him about seems unfair to him now that we find out his knees were cartilage free. I wouldn't play hard on defense if my knees were like that.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 12, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Oh right, forgot to include Asik in worst contracts in the league

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Etwuan Moore is making like 8.7 for the next 3 years, Ajinca is making about 5m for the next 2 years, that adds up to around 3.5m less than Reggie making 17m a year for 3 years. But who the gently caress is playing point guard. Just Ish Smith and Beno? Gonna sign Monta? 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
There's not even anyone else out there. Tyler Ennis? Ty Lawson? Bobby Brown? Ronnie Price?

Yeah sign Monta! He Has It All.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Ohh there's Sergio Rodriguez, ripe for the picking

pubic works project posted:

Yeah sign Monta! He Has It All.

When there's a Monta, there's a way

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Can we call Zhou Qi "Dynasty Warrior"

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

You can't sign Aaron Brooks, the Rockets need to sign him

so they can trade him again for the fourth time.

What's the record for being traded by a single team?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can we call Zhou Qi "Dynasty Warrior"

I'll allow it

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i think i prefer half the fringe list to half the rotation list

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

This is proof that the name troll has been an elaborate hoax

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Trick New Orleans into taking Drummond too, Pistons.

For picks or money or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

i think i prefer half the fringe list to half the rotation list

I didn't make the list, this is from Nate Duncan's patreon.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gonz posted:

Trick New Orleans into taking Drummond too, Pistons.

For picks or money or something.

Cousins-AD-Drummond large ball frontcourt lineup would be hilarious

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Remember good rondo :(

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

cravius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndyfsS0bFK8

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ben Simmons wants to be a PG for marketing and ego reasons, who cares

If Fultz is nominally the starting 2/3, so be it. Let the soft Aussie have his prize

Gonz posted:

That 2004 Pistons team was basically "Defense, Defense, Defense and also Defense".

They were holding people to sub-80 and sub-70 points in playoff games. It was a magical thing. In the Finals, the only two players on the Lakers to score more than 10 points in any of the 5 games were Shaq & Kobe.

Rip in peace, Ben Wallace, you were not appreciated enough

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

That Celtics team was really something

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

cravius posted:

Yeah April wasn't that long ago.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

So sick

Joel Anthony sighting :stare:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

TheKevman posted:

So sick

Joel Anthony sighting :stare:

Joel Anthony once started a season and played 20 minutes a game because Spo had some numbers saying he was the screen settinest sumbitch ever to set screens

time flies when you're having fun

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

cravius posted:

That Celtics team was really something

I hope KD watches film of Garnett setting (illegal) screens on the perimeter all summer so GSW can score 160 a game next year.

chunkles posted:

Joel Anthony once started a season and played 20 minutes a game because Spo had some numbers saying he was the screen settinest sumbitch ever to set screens

time flies when you're having fun

I'm always amazed more people didn't just trap off him every possession. It's not like he could catch a pass.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Magic's got a real big ego on him and it's going to hurt the team for a while. He spent the entire offseason preparing for the Lebron/PG plan and the PG plan is already showing its cracks. Maybe you should blow him up

I definitely am dreaming of a post-Sovietesque teardown of his statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A thing I realized while taking a nap is that the Rockets would not have been able to trade for Chris Paul if the Lakers hadn't taken back Corey Brewer for some reason in that trade where they should've just been able to trade Lou Williams for a draft pick to one of the several teams that was allegedly interested in doing that.

If "having Chris Paul" is the best actual way to get Lebron next year it would be pretty funny to me that Johnson basically helped make it happen, but for another team.

• Locked thread