Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Whether you are playing SNES or a later version, you can triple crown with that team, so good luck with that.

Yeah! I think it will be a slog but definitely doable. I'll learn a lot about boss vulnerabilities for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Poque posted:

Yeah! I think it will be a slog but definitely doable. I'll learn a lot about boss vulnerabilities for sure.

On SNES version, you can quick-bio any enemy to death with that time mage.
On later versions, !calm is bugged and will work on any enemy except magical beasts, and that isn't immune to stop, such as Omega.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Poque posted:

Most things are vulnerable to Slow. Looking over bosses, it looks like Liquid Flame, Atomos, Minotaur, Azulmagia, the Three Little Pigs, Necrophobe version Greg, and two of the four parts of NED (Almagest and Grand Cross) are the only things actually immune. There's a few more random encounters, but with Team Time Mage, you're generally gonna be running from those anyway.

Granted, the magic evasion formula is your worst enemy there, so even if most things are vulnerable, it may not always be practical to stick it. (I wouldn't cast it on W2 Exdeath, either, as he responds by hasting himself, which makes the fight much worse)

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I finally finished my first run, decided to do a Popular run for a fun breezy time, and...

Dragoon/Dragoon/Dragoon/Dancer

:negative:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Journey of the Quadzerker: Part VI

The next time I see the Pyramid it will be too soon...

Onto the Void to abuse some glitches!

Hey guys! Oh, Big Gulps, huh? Alright! Welp, see ya later!

Now to gear up properly. (Well, sort of. I'm not super great about super-optimal blah-blah-blah.)

LET'S loving DO THIS :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101:

NED ATTEMPT #1

Chopped down Treedeath unscathed...

But alas, the first Grand Cross dealt me a single-HP Zerk and a toad.

Womp womp womp womp

NED ATTEMPT #2

Lenna ate a Flare during Treedeath, but that was it.

This time, the first Grand Cross was fine but Faris ate a back-to-back Holy and regular physical.

Then Lenna went kaboom to Almagest / Vacuum Wave. Didn't last much longer after that.

NED ATTEMPT #3

Uwaaah!!! indeed.

NED launched a Firaga at the one Flame Shield user. Sweet.

The first Grand Cross blinded Lenna. I guess she ain't hittin' poo poo the rest of the way.

Or maybe she is! :swoon:

At this point I'm pouring on the damage. It's spread out over all four parts, which I think is a good thing. I'd rather deal with multiple "normal" attacks than have to rush down one last part with only one or two Zerks alive.

The second Grand Cross comes and Basch is doomed...

RIP in peace, Basch.

The last screenshot was Faris murdering the Grand Cross portion. Alamgest and Vacuum Wave were toast before Basch died. I had around 11K of the last part's HP to burn through.

:syoon: :swoon: LENNA! :swoon: :syoon:

Krile with the final blow! :black101:

:rip: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Don't believe Ondore's lies!

This was nothing a roll of Scotch tape and an emulator couldn't do, but it was still fun.

WRITTEN IN THE STARS, A MILLION ZERKS AWAY

THE END

Next time: Not the end.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Doing another pure chaos run and getting stuck with all monks (my first job was dragoon) until after the fire ship is awesome and that's not sarcasm. This is my first time getting monk in this fiesta (and honestly my first time using it in general) and punching poo poo rocks!! Also I just unlocked summoner so I stuck barehanded on them and now I have punching mages, this is stupid fun

edit: also what in the gently caress is happening above with the neo exdeath cactuar

g0lbez fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 11, 2017

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Neat little trick: for any enemy you're trying to run out of MP, especially omniscient, if you use an ether on them and their mana is above 9999, it will drop to 9999.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
won't work on rugwizard, item is physical.

well, unless you mage masher him first.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Run #2: Popular Run: Red Mage / Samurai / Knight / Chemist

Well hey, I finally got off my rear end and knocked this one out! Hope to get a few more before the end of the season.

Pretty fun team, though a little tedious at times since Zeninage was my only real multi-target option, and you can't go throwing away money for a lot of the game! Otherwise Chemist actually didn't get to do much this time, three Two-Handed attackers locked down basically everything. !Mix was obviously vital for Omega and Shinryu though.

Anyway, as you might've noticed I was going with Lurdiak's "a butt" pledge, but missed the deadline since he hit his cap due to my lousy procrastination. So since that was basically my fault, the only option was to pay the buttpiper myself (and a little extra for good measure)

Still, definitely don't regret the name, it made for some good moments.

Anyway now to decide what run to do next? Haven't done Pure Chaos yet this year, but I could also give Popular and/or Fifth Job another shot.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Went with Chaos for my third run. So far my first two jobs are Ninja and Ranger.

Already this run looks to be a DELIGHT.

EDIT: Possibly spoke too soon, fire job is Geomancer. Save me, earth job!

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 11, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

Went with Chaos for my third run. So far my first two jobs are Ninja and Ranger.

Already this run looks to be a DELIGHT.

EDIT: Possibly spoke too soon, fire job is Geomancer. Save me, earth job!

At least putting !Throw on the Geomancer makes them good, because they have a bonkers-high magic score.

No way to pass it to the Ninja, sadly.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

At least putting !Throw on the Geomancer makes them good, because they have a bonkers-high magic score.

Ninja gets to have !Rapidfire so they aren't married to the Twin Lance in endgame, Geomancer gets !Throw to do reliable damage to bosses. Ranger gets to gently caress around with bows. It's not the highest power you'll get, but it's solid enough so far. !Animals also has some decent healing at the usual levels you're finishing World 1 and starting World 2 at, though it gets less reliable once you get near the end of W2.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bregor posted:

Next time: Not the end.
You're a madman if you're planning on Shinryu.

(I'm lveel 75 and counting. I'll get there eventually.)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Currently mugging my way through Phoenix tower to see how many elixers I can buy.

Wasted a few hours trying to get a dragon whisker from a stingray but Matrix are dream crushers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
All The Bravest

Plot.lost
Dwall (x5)
Koobes*
Supremezero (x2)
Focacciasaurus_Rex
Bufuman
Vernatio
Serene Dragon
Olive Garden Tonight!
Ssmagus
Blue Link
Fhqwhgads
Dbzfandiego
Doom Goon
Gbuchold*
Mustard Iceman
Samuel Clemens
Blakelmenakle
Shyfted One
Denim Avenger
Nasgate
Derra
ZiegeDame
Captain Vittles
Jaclynhyde
Tortolia
Nemo2342

Good job goons.

Special shout-outs to Koobes and Bgbuchold for completing their trizerker runs, Dwall for running not one but five laps around Exdeath, Brave Blade in hand (and also Supremezero for doing the same thing, but only twice), and Bregor, whose noble but failed attempt inspired me to grandfather in the last four belated brave runs, raising my self-imposed donation ceiling.

:siren: The Brave Blade donation drive is now finished. :siren:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bad Seafood posted:

And marked as complete in the OP. :)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You're a madman if you're planning on Shinryu.

(I'm lveel 75 and counting. I'll get there eventually.)

:getin:

DirkDonkeyroot
Feb 25, 2007
This is my first fiesta, is there anything I should be farming before I leave the first world? My team is black mage, white mage, beast master and summoner.

Thanks

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
you'll be fine

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

Actually the Balance mod lets !Gaia pass along their magic stat. :v:

And bumps their Magic stat up to 68, higher than even Summoners. :v:

I knew I was playing this mod for a reason. :v::v::v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

In my defense I tend to not assume rebalance mod. :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Foregone conclusion. I had never used the Protect/Shell/Reflect mix before this fight, so I thought I didn't need to, then unceremoniously wiped to Almagest my first try :facepalm:. I thought I could knock out enough pure damage to stop it from happening, but no dice. Even with two Dragon Lances! Though with enough focus fire, it would have been possible, I just...didn't.

Second attempt I just set up the defenses, put a few levels on my guys and the let the Ninja loose with blessed kiss. Twin Lances and Chicken Knife did some serious work while the Dragoon just merrily jumped. It was not THE easiest NED kill (that honor goes to anything with Bard), but up there.

I've talked about Omega, after getting my bearing straight with just the right combination of defensive mixes, I had no trouble.

I farmed a Power Staff for this dude, and of course the mentioned two Dragon Lances, and I have Coral Rings AS WELL AS Haste(ga), so there was no way Shinryu was gonna be a problem.

Overall one of my stronger teams.

Dragoon contributes jackshit as far as abilities go, I was never even slightly tempted to go with !Lance on, say, the Time Mage - there's always something better - and the same is true for putting Spears on the Ninja. There's just so much more fun to be had with the normal Ninja weapons, and !Time + !Throw as I'll elaborate in a second. BUT a Dragoon itself with Dual Wield, levels upscaled like they're going out of style and of course always hasted is a thing of beauty. Krile here did ultimately the most DPS, I'm sure, with a constant stream of almost instant landings. Before the endgame, though, Spears loving suck if you can't steal the surprisingly early Partisan (I think?), and often the elemental properties don't really help. Fun for Omega, though (despite the four counterattacks in a row...).

Chemist is obviously loving bonkers, though admittedly I kind of feared being overwhelmed by recipes and I hated having to grind. Especially Turtle Shells are just annoying (is there a better option than going for the rare encounter round Karnak?). However, after a few growing pains, I really appreciated the innate Pharmacology - you don't hear much talk about it, but 1000 health Hi-Potions are basically a full heal for most classes for most of the game - as well as the basic ability to equip (heal) staves. After you get !Mix, however, the Job is completely useless - I don't get why you'd want to have a Revive or Remedy command if you can have both and billions more in !Mix, which you unlock far quicker. I guess it's free, but an ability slot is not really?

I never drank a single drink. Once I realized that you can't make OTHER people drink things, I was like why the gently caress would I put this on anyone? Again, !Mix can indeed force other party members to get levels, and protect to boot, so...

Overall, except for !Mix itself, the weakest party member. Not that surprising, I guess, but a weird dynamic for an honestly weird Job.

If anyone cares, my most-used Mixes were Succubus Kiss (only really early, though, and sparingly - I had better damage options that wouldn't cause me to having to farm again for ages), Resurrection (with full MP!!!), +10 and later +20 levels (almost all for the Dragoon), and that honestly was about it for REGULAR stuff. Death Potion for Boatgamesh and Crystals (I farmed one Prototype too many, forgot that Soul Cannon drops a Dark Matter). I tried Shadowflare and it's completely useless even when the Time Mage does it, was similarly disappointed by Holy Breath even after drinking a Goliath Tonic AND using it on Exdeath in W2.

Ninja was amazing the whole time. While I didn't need !Smoke (having Teleport), it is a faster animation so that's nice for CK grinding. I also didn't need !Image (I could have gotten that through Chemist if needed, and I didn't really even for Shinryu). But !Throw is absurd on the Time Mage, just absurd, and Dual Wield is similarly gamechanging for the Dragoon, making it immediately into a class actually worth using for a change. Ninja itself has some great equipment options with the sick Twin Lance trick and Sasuke's Katana for blocks, or back row stuff, generally just very versatile especially with this kind of support. Great stuff!

Didn't throw a single Fuma Shuriken, btw. Had better things to do!

I originally thought the Time Mage was kinda superflous after the rest of the team was already so amazing (I unlocked it at Earth), but that wasn't true at all. Rod-boosted Throws are honestly loving scary, and carried me through most of the game - I probably threw almost a 100 Flame and Thunder scrolls each depending on the enemy weaknesses, and when hit they get almost 2.5k damage. In World 1. This is viable up to the very end, and I'm glad. Oh yeah, and Haste(ga), I GUESS. I never try to haste myself or slow things much tbh though, but why would I when I can just scroll-eradicate them. Meteor is fine, but honestly I'd rather use the true power of the Time Mage in this team: Quick, !Mix, !Mix. It's incredible how fast this gets the team into supergodmode, and you can recover from ANYTHING if you make sure the Time Mage lives (and, well, you can just revive them first if they do bite it before someone else...). Fantastic Job for just about every other member except Dragoon.

What's up with Equip Rods, though, why does it exist. Ninja with the sick dual Morning Star action?? (wait that's a staff, drat it)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
http://imgur.com/a/0S5uU

Gregg rulz ok.

Ground to 41 so that Faris could face-tank Almagest with like 150 hp, which was enough to get everyone else back up and running. Just dropped Flares and boosted -aga against Almagest until it went down (after two casts) and then it was cake. Rapidfire Chicken Knife was a thing of beauty.

e: Oh dear. RegPopular: Time/Time/Time/Geo

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 12, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Simply Simon posted:

What's up with Equip Rods, though, why does it exist. Ninja with the sick dual Morning Star action?? (wait that's a staff, drat it)

Equip Rods includes staves so yes.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I did #RegPopular and got Thief/ Ninja/ Ranger/ Dancer. that team is buns and I want to change either Thief or Dancer but I can't decide what to

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I did #RegPopular and got Thief/ Ninja/ Ranger/ Dancer. that team is buns and I want to change either Thief or Dancer but I can't decide what to

I think it's a pretty good and rather cohesive team. Very low hp but high physical damage output. Thief is probably the least useful, though you can get lamia tiaras early and other dancer gear pretty quick and easy from the Phoenix tower.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

I'd change Dancer. Thief isn't the BEST but they can steal good stuff early on, plus they've got Sprint, Vigilance, !Flee, long-range weapons, and !Mug as a CK-friendly attack (granted, !Dance also prevents random Flees, but it's a lot less reliable, freaking Tango).

As for what class to roll with, I'd say go with something more durable like Knight or Samurai, since you've got a pretty fragile team as is. Failing that, I actually prefer to just Reroll if I get an undesirable class, to keep with the random element.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I had been thinking Blue Mage because I have no healing whatsoever beyond !Dance and Hi-Potions and I have no intention of grinding to survive Almagest

maybe I'll just be good and reroll

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Now that I have 4 Hermes sandals and 4 coral rings I think I'll set up a clothing store and retire.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Bad Seafood posted:

Aw, man, and I even recently reset my run because I got a knight and wanted to do this.

I guess I'll just donate myself if I manage to get through it all with Brave Blade at 300 (because obviously two handing it), and double the ammount if I accidentially ran away in the first cave or whatever by pure reflex.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'm having issues with w2 exdeath. Knight/Zerk/Time/Geo.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong, about level 29. Zerk is using Dancing Dagger, Knight has Frostbrand.

I got Zerk as 5th job so I haven't picked up any weapons for it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mega64 posted:

Equip Rods includes staves so yes.

lmbo time for the twin legendary weapon beatdown build: spare the Magus Rod, Sage's Staff the child

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Change Thief. !Animals and a sick offense will carry that team to W3, at which point you'll have !Rapidfire and Thief Knife. You'll want !Dance to burn down Almagest part for Neo.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Vadun posted:

I'm having issues with w2 exdeath. Knight/Zerk/Time/Geo.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong, about level 29. Zerk is using Dancing Dagger, Knight has Frostbrand.

I got Zerk as 5th job so I haven't picked up any weapons for it.

Don't cast slow on him.

How many reflect rings do you have? If 4, slap em all on the party and get to level 30 for some High Comedy

(He knows L3 flare. L3 flare is reflectable)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
So I'm stuck on NED. My party is Black Mage, Monk, Beastmaster, and Berserker. Playing on Mobile so !Releasing for 9999 to all 4 parts is out.

For most of the game I've been relying on Flame Rings for healing for I don't output enough damage fast enough to get past Tree Exdeath's Meteor spam unless I switch to Hermes Sandals. Beastmaster has been secondary Black Mage, Berserker has Rune Axe and Monk has the Titan Axe, so everybody's capable of dealing around 2-3k per round. NED just straight up wrecks me with Almagest every time.

I've been considering a new strategy where I use Reflect Rings and bounce spells off of my party, which should hopefully get me past Meteor Spam. This will let me ignore the Magic casting part and try to get Break to stick on the Alamgest-caster (last year had Summoner and had success with a similar strategy casting Catoblepas, not sure if Break has any different chance to succeed or not). Also not sure if a Release would help (again, Mobile version).

Did the Mobile version change Tree Exdeath's AI routine? I remember White Hole being fairly rare but he spams that thing at me constantly and it slows my offense way the hell down because it takes three actions to cure and I only get two per round thanks to Berserker.

Might have to grind levels for enough HP to survive an Almagest. What's the best place in W3 to do that?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Catch a crystelle. They cast mighty guard on release which should help a lot. I don't remember the best way to lower their hp since they have 3 max. Idk if there's a monster in the rift that does %hp off the top of my head. That's my plan with beast/thief/mk/sam

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

With that team, there are three ways around Almagest:

1. Catch a Crystelle and release it to cast Mighty Guard. A bit annoying if no one can use the Excalipoor, but doable with the Dancing Dagger. Kyros knows the exact strategy.
2. Cast Break on the Almagest part. Pretty RNG-heavy, but you can always use the Wonder Wand to reset the battle if it doesn't work.
3. Use the Wonder Wand to cast Shell on the Monk, allowing him to easily survive Almagest. The only real danger with this strategy is an unlucky Dispel or Almagest + Vacuum Wave combo.

Always go with the Hermes Sandals in the NED fight. Not only for the double turns, but also because they prevent 4 really nasty status effects that can be inflicted by Grand Cross.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
What's the best weapon for my blue mage? Excalipoor/gobpunch, chicken knife/gobpunch, Gaia hammer, something I don't know?

Edit: I have Geo/Zer/Ker/Blue

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

What's the best weapon for my blue mage? Excalipoor/gobpunch, chicken knife/gobpunch, Gaia hammer, something I don't know?

Depends on your remaining team composition. But by the end of the game, probably an AirKnife or Wizard Rod paired with Aeroga spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

agradine posted:

Might have to grind levels for enough HP to survive an Almagest. What's the best place in W3 to do that?

Berserkers can, and should, use the Aegis Shield to prevent petrification. You should have one from the moore forest, but if you don't there's another in a chest somewhere if you missed it.

You could also give your party flame rings and spam fireaga on your own team to heal them, but at this point hermes shoes + elixir spam is probably better against Exdeath. The status effects are far more dangerous than his actual hp damage once you can survive Almagest.

Best place to do farming is to give everyone !berserk and to hold up against that pyramid staircase that sends you downwards (but not into spikes). It will be relatively quick to get to the point where you can survive almagest. 3000+ hp for everyone should be fine, but of course more is always better. up to the 40's is easy, 50's not too bad, but Levels start really slowing down at 60+ so don't bother unless you have a ton of patience.

You can also do a similiar trick in the first zone of the cleft of dimensions, but this is a bad idea due to that one hard encounter that can cast cyclone.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 12, 2017

• Locked thread