Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I rewatched the tournament arc and just noticed Kaminari got ~300 internship offers even though he didn't get past the first tournament bracket. Is that continuity with the moment in S1 where Jiro tries to stall for time by flattering the electrical villain about his quirk type being rare and in demand? If so, it's a really nice touch to not have that be a throwaway line.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cheston posted:

I rewatched the tournament arc and just noticed Kaminari got ~300 internship offers even though he didn't get past the first tournament bracket. Is that continuity with the moment in S1 where Jiro tries to stall for time by flattering the electrical villain about his quirk type being rare and in demand? If so, it's a really nice touch to not have that be a throwaway line.
It has a lot of utility, and besides, if Justice League is anything to go by *everyone* is weak to electricity.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It does seem that no frills, power of the element guys are pretty tough in-universe. Like the #2 guy ever is just A Buff Fire Guy (the #4 guy ever is the best at jeans so maybe that goofs it up) Even a goofus like Kaminari was able to temporarily stop nearly the entire arena and the more competent and more diverse Todoroki has everyone's full confidence.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm a little sad that the Best Jeanist pun/reference is lost in translation.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Beasteh posted:

i'm sad that the OP is no longer Peace Sign

Same. That song got better and better every week and I really like it. The new OP has decent visuals but the song has no energy which may fit this arc but it doesn't fit the series' overall optimism and fun IMO.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Keep On Your Jean Spirits

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Peace Sign was so good, also for some reason I really liked how it's them stretching to get ready. Gave it a grounded feel of actually, ya know, getting ready for something that means a lot to them.

Also someone who follows both closely, did the manga have Gran emphasize so strongly that Toshi just figured out the quirk immediately? I didn't get that feeling at all when I read it recently, it was always something that stood as strange to me in MHA, and I don't remember the manga explaining it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Same. That song got better and better every week and I really like it. The new OP has decent visuals but the song has no energy which may fit this arc but it doesn't fit the series' overall optimism and fun IMO.
Even if they wanted an OP with a more 'serious' tone they could have done better, this OP's music is just kinda lifeless.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Also someone who follows both closely, did the manga have Gran emphasize so strongly that Toshi just figured out the quirk immediately? I didn't get that feeling at all when I read it recently, it was always something that stood as strange to me in MHA, and I don't remember the manga explaining it.
Him being a natural is used as a plot point in both about why he's so bad at teaching how to use OfA, but the anime is definitely truncating and emphasizing some of the bits of this section, so it might have been deliberately highlighted.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Moltrey posted:

Keep On Your Jean Spirits

Is it weird to anyone else that exactly one recipient of this award is not wearing jeans?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's how you can tell she is the true master.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Moltrey posted:

It does seem that no frills, power of the element guys are pretty tough in-universe. Like the #2 guy ever is just A Buff Fire Guy (the #4 guy ever is the best at jeans so maybe that goofs it up) Even a goofus like Kaminari was able to temporarily stop nearly the entire arena and the more competent and more diverse Todoroki has everyone's full confidence.

Best Jeanist's quirk is powerful because of the society he's in. Fire and electricity and Ice and such are just plain strong, but clothing manipulation is good because everyone wears clothes.

tl:dr if everyone suddenly became a nudist best jeanist would be on the tier of deku's mom in terms of power

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm a little sad that the Best Jeanist pun/reference is lost in translation.

What's the pun?

Spiderdrake posted:

Peace Sign was so good, also for some reason I really liked how it's them stretching to get ready. Gave it a grounded feel of actually, ya know, getting ready for something that means a lot to them.

I haven't gotten to see the episode but it's not pushed that hard in the manga. All Might mentions after the entrance exam that he never had similar difficulties. Gran Torino treks Deku that All Might's body was already bug enough to handle OfA so they just sparred endlessly until All Might would puke. I think that's about it though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Poltergrift posted:

Is it weird to anyone else that exactly one recipient of this award is not wearing jeans?

She has a jean jacket on though.

EmmyOk posted:

What's the pun?

As shown above, Best Jeanist is a real award given out in Japan to celebrities who rock jeans the best.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I didn't remember getting such a good look at Toshinori in the manga

Boy was in pretty good shape!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TurkeyFried posted:

I didn't remember getting such a good look at Toshinori in the manga

Boy was in pretty good shape!

Spiderdrake posted:

I had a look there after watching the episode and it's pretty much a shot for panel remake of it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The OP is fine, the cute lil higher voice that harmonizes really reminds me of something and I can't quite place it, but I like it a lot

Manga spoilers about the OP: I like that they showed the pairs for the end of semester test, but those pairs look just abritrary right now and they didn't include Deku, Todoroki or Iida in the pairs so like Momo and Ojiro look weirdly alone. A weird bummer since I really like that arc and the Todoroki/Yaoyorozu team-up is one of my favorite scenes that I've gotten to

Slime posted:

Best Jeanist's quirk is powerful because of the society he's in. Fire and electricity and Ice and such are just plain strong, but clothing manipulation is good because everyone wears clothes.

tl:dr if everyone suddenly became a nudist best jeanist would be on the tier of deku's mom in terms of power
true

best jeanist would kick my rear end, i wear a lotta jeans

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 11, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

true

best jeanist would kick my rear end, i wear a lotta jeans

It's all clothes not just jeans iirc

e: checked my volume there and "he can manipulate textiles at will" is his official quirk description.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 11, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah but he can manipulate denim the easiest, as opposed to sweats which are the most difficult for him

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 11, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He better watch out for this guy then, I hear he's super strong and super naked!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

There's a reason his entire outfit is denim, which is shown with how he handles Bakugou in the episode

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yeah I know why his outfit is denim, it's the most fashionable material. idiot.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Yo check what just came out.

(From the volume 14 extras)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was watching the race episode with dinner and the anime had a nice addition, they showed Dark Shadow going tiny and sad when Deku set off the huge explosion to leap the mine field. I went and checked the manga volumes and it's not there it's just a nice added detail.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kyte posted:

Yo check what just came out.

(From the volume 14 extras)

This is super cute.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I was watching the race episode with dinner and the anime had a nice addition, they showed Dark Shadow going tiny and sad when Deku set off the huge explosion to leap the mine field. I went and checked the manga volumes and it's not there it's just a nice added detail.

bird boy best boy

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Tokoyami truly is best boy

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there anyone in MHA who is not Best?

You know, except Mineta.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

You know, except Mineta.

He's like, the only character with a police-like ability, everyone else is either specialized or designed to kill poo poo. He's the one true hero of the people.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

He's like, the only character with a police-like ability, everyone else is either specialized or designed to kill poo poo. He's the one true hero of the people.

The guy with mind control has a police-like ability too. It's got a lot of potential for abuse, but mind controlling a villain into stopping what they're doing and giving up is undeniably a powerful way to bring down dangerous people without actually risking them serious injury or death by fire/ice/electricity/explosion/hurricanes/Deku's fist

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

You know, except Mineta.

Are we ever gonna get any detail on how the hell this guy passed the entrance exam? Did stuck robots count as dead? Are we gonna find out he was admitted through recommendations? (I don't care in the least but I'd love if this was lampshaded at some point.)

***okay now I really hope he's like, the son of hitherto unmentioned #3 Hero "Grapes Of Wrath", except the only part of the quirk he inherited was the grapes.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 14, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cheston posted:

Did stuck robots count as dead?

Yes. Destroyed or immobilized.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Yes. Destroyed or immobilized.

aaaw. That makes sense :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the better question is how he got through the test without crying and hiding.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The better question is how did Tooru pass

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

The better question is how did Tooru pass

Snuck into the office and edited her score in the spreadsheet when the clerk went for coffee.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
`

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
She is apparently quite intelligent. I hope we get to see more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

She is apparently quite intelligent. I hope we get to see more of that.

Don't think that she was intelligent was a thing. She ranks 16th in grades, beating only Sero, Aoyama, Ashido and Kaminari.

• Locked thread