Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Love Trump's Hate :patriot:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/BLACKMESSlAH/status/884886286019985409

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yes Yes!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/11/536657496/in-most-regressive-state-seattle-passes-tax-on-highest-incomes

quote:

Washington state's tax system has been called the most regressive in the country, as the state collects no income tax nor do any of its cities. But Seattle is looking to change that: On Monday, its city council passed an income tax on its highest earners.

The council voted 9-0 in favor of the tax, which will apply a 2.25 percent tax on annual income over $250,000 on individuals, or $500,000 for couples filing jointly. The city estimates the tax will generate $140 million in new annual revenue.

"Seattle is challenging this state's antiquated and unsustainable tax structure by passing a progressive income tax," said Mayor Ed Murray in a statement. "Our goal is to replace our regressive tax system with a new formula for fairness, while ensuring Seattle stands up to President Trump's austere budget that cuts transportation, affordable housing, healthcare, and social services. This is a fight for economic stability, equity, and justice."

Opponents are already preparing lawsuits to fight the tax. The Freedom Foundation, an Olympia-based conservative think tank, told NPR station KUOW that it was forming a coalition to litigate the tax, which it says is illegal under state law.

"If the current tax system has problems, then let's address those," Jami Lund, the foundation's senior policy analyst, told the station. "Let's not add an extra injustice to sort of balance another injustice. I would say it's like fighting fire with fire and you end up with all houses getting burnt down."

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Found this graph on the internet:

You really do have to choose between social and economic liberalism if you want to go for republican voting poor people

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Typo posted:

You really do have to choose between social and economic liberalism if you want to go for republican voting poor people

apparently being rich makes you better on social issues, so clearly we should just enrichen everyone

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Typo posted:

no clearly this means that "social liberalism" is an affectation of the rich

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

apparently being rich makes you better on social issues, so clearly we should just enrichen everyone
:hai:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I would btw, totally moderate and tolerate some social conservatives in the congressional democratic party if it means implementing economically progressive policies

I got a feeling the newest "center" in the USA is gonna be fiscal liberal and socially moderate, kinda like how the center was fiscally conservative and socially liberal in the 90s

welp maybe the democrats will be smart enough to figure that out

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

seattle times and their reactionary readers are losing their poo poo over this

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/884898850942717952

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the name of this garbage can is ideology

*touches nose*

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thats more like it Bernie! :bern101:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xany0qWJvbw

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

so do you

- a hillbot

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Muppets On PCP posted:

so do you

- a hillbot

https://twitter.com/EWdeVlieger/status/884899001182683137

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Typo posted:

I would btw, totally moderate and tolerate some social conservatives in the congressional democratic party if it means implementing economically progressive policies

I got a feeling the newest "center" in the USA is gonna be fiscal liberal and socially moderate, kinda like how the center was fiscally conservative and socially liberal in the 90s

welp maybe the democrats will be smart enough to figure that out

This would be so loving sweet.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
If Trump goes out because of a Russia-related impeachment before 2020 I expect the dem right to have a massive shot in the arm out of it, hopefully not quite enough to marginalize an energized left but it would be close.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

i'm fine burning down every lovely overpriced mcmansion in this state :shrug:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Typo posted:

So even in deep red states the majority of people are economically left of center.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Typo posted:

How did they even measure it?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Progressives triggered sensitive snowflakes.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Typo posted:

I'm sorta interested if this tracks when controlled for race?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Typo posted:

"we gotta get more racist" - dems

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

flawed candidates matter now

ROCK/BOOKER 2020

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Franken/Stein 2020 motherfucker

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I am not voting for jill stein and you can't make me

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

this is the most autistic front page story I've ever seen

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

this is the most autistic front page story I've ever seen

frasier is good, though?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SKULL.GIF posted:

frasier is good, though?

ehh

nmmm

no just Eddie

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

UHD posted:

purity testing bernie bro :rolleyes:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frijolero posted:

Franken/Stein 2020 motherfucker

If there is a Franken/Stein ticket (and if truly nothing matters anymore, then this is indeed a possibility), they had better use Kanye's Monster for their campaign theme or else they ain't got a hair on 'em.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I'm glad Bernie didn't say recycling can, so I can't make my Joke about democrats recycling republican policies from 30 years ago.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/FastCompany/status/884883754073956352

capitalism is even losing the financial press

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

If there is a Franken/Stein ticket (and if truly nothing matters anymore, then this is indeed a possibility), they had better use Kanye's Monster for their campaign theme or else they ain't got a hair on 'em.

It's Monster Mash OP, hth

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

UHD posted:

Well you'd really be voting for Franken, which is fairly cool & good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

It's Monster Mash OP, hth

• Locked thread