Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

I guess the slight change her is that we're looking for information, not a power upgrade.

Hang on—let's not let our guard down just yet. There's something strange about that door. I can't quite tell what though...
S-strange? Then...we should proceed with caution.
Who knows what traps might be on the other side. Be careful, Corrine.

*Corrine opens the door*

...Why are you here? Where's the Rainbow Sage? I know that jerk is here, somewhere.

Huh?! But…you're the old man from before! You were at the base of the mountain. How did you get up to the highest floor?
Ah, so close—this room is actually linked to the highest floor. Quite convenient for me.
I commend you for overcoming the trials I put forth. You are worthy of meeting me.
I can't believe this—you're the Rainbow Sage?

...Why. Why now? No one knows who you are or what you look like, and no one's after you. This is some annoying meta stuff, Revelation.

You set up the mountain in order to ask me something, did you not? Well, let's hear it.
We're looking for...a dragon. We've been told that we needed to meet one. The dragon will help us stop this endless conflict between Nohr and Hoshido. I have to do whatever it takes to stop the fighting!
Ho... So you want to end the war, huh? Fascinating. And admirable. All right. I'll tell you where to find a dragon. But first, let me see that Yato of yours.
Really? OK. Here you go.

I, who wove the divine colors... I call on you now, Seal of Flames!

Yay, upgrade. I need that really badly after how bad my Corrine's been.

Thank you so much! Is this...the Seal of Flames that Fuga mentioned?
No, not quite. To complete the Seal of Flames, you need the other four divine weapons.

...OF COURSE

The Fire Emblem was within us all along!!

The Fire Emblem...
Yes... Without that, you have no chance of succeeding in your quest... Don't lose heart. Continue down the path you've chosen. It should lead...you to each of the weapons you need...
*cough...cough...*

*The rainbow sage falls down*

Oh right, this thing.

Y-yes!
Elise, you too. Heal him! Quickly!
I'll do my best!
Don't waste your energy... I have lived well beyond my time already...
What?
Anyway, human magic...won't work on me...
Human magic?
Why won't it? You don't mean you're—!

It's always something involving a dragon in this franchise....

Long, long ago... Twelve dragons were filled with desire... They fought over who would control the world... For my part, I create the Yato and the divine weapons. Doing so pulled humanity into our war.

It's not quite Naga's fang legend, but close enough.

But...that was so long ago...
I've given your Yato...the last of my power... Corrine... Use...the Yato... Make...your own destiny...*dies*
Sage...

I'm still confused on why he didn't die immediately in Birthright. The game was so easy that it didn't strain him???

I mean... Thank you, great dragon... I will make sure that your sacrifice is not in vain.
Let's head to the Bottomless Canyon. The skies will soon change above Hoshido and Nohr.

Also, Felicia's back by now.

The Yato's been upgraded to Alpha, giving both Hoshido and Nohr bonuses onto the weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Anyway, human magic...won't work on me...
Human magic?
Why won't it? You don't mean you're—!

It's always something involving a dragon in this franchise....

Can I call bullshit here?

Because "Anyway, human magic...won't work on me..." is notable bullshit even by Fates standards. Human magic worked on Tiki just fine. Even final bosses like Grima and Duma, major mythic figures, take scratch damage. You might not be able to kill them with human magic, but you can make them hurt all the same.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Can I call bullshit here?

Because "Anyway, human magic...won't work on me..." is notable bullshit even by Fates standards. Human magic worked on Tiki just fine. Even final bosses like Grima and Duma, major mythic figures, take scratch damage. You might not be able to kill them with human magic, but you can make them hurt all the same.

Plus this isn't even offensive magic, this is HEALING magic... which, again, worked just fine on the likes of Tiki in previous games.

Now, if they'd just said something like "I'm far too old for those to save me" that would've worked just fine, because it'd imply that he was dying of old age.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The shittiness of Birthright and Conquest's writing is made doubly lovely here because Revelation feels the need to exposit all the information from both of those routes in a quarter of the chapters. No writer is going to be able to salvage what little plot Fates has when they're obligated to jam three major plot points into every half-hour stretch.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I would ask why Anankos gets a pass for messing with Nohr

Then realized I didn't care

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so it's some bullshit dragon in another dimension that's doing all this? Figures.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

All that repeating made me forget that it's already time to return back to the canyon.

That's seriously quite a trip back with no interference. Couldn't go two steps without a fight in the other routes.

Oh man, a relatively minor skirmish not by our characters! Yukimura actually doing something that doesn't involve Corrine!

Lord Ryoma entrusted me with aiding Lady Hinoka in protecting this castle. Even if it costs me my life, I will not fail!
Don't worry, Yukimura! I've returned!

*Ryoma and Scarlet arrive with a kill strike each*

Lord Ryoma!
Two down... Up for more, Scarlet?
Oh, you bet I am!

*After the battle*

This is the only actual visual confirmation that Nohr had a bunch of forces constantly on Hoshido's doorsteps during the war.

A defense that Yukimura left randomly in Birthright....

It's good to be back. I'm sorry that you had to care for everything for so long.
Hey there, those glasses of yours are pretty sharp! Any chance you could point me toward wherever I could get a pair?
What? Who are you?
Ah, I forgot to introduce her.

We became friends in Cheve, and she's returned with me to lend a hand. Some of her fighters have come, as well. They'll help defend Castle Shirasagi.
Glad to meet you!
Ahh, yes... The pleasure is all mine...

"Also some invisible enemies but that's not important."

Lady Corrine made it all the way there?
Indeed. She asked me to join her in trying to end the fighting.
...She said the same thing to me when we met at Fort Jinya. She said that, if I wanted to help her, I should meet her at the Bottomless Canyon. She also said I had to be there before the skies over Hoshido and Nohr change color.
Corrine claimed there was more, but that she wasn't able to share it...
Huh... So she told us the same thing... I don't think it's in Corrine's nature to lie.

That quality being really good at fighting that the choice is either death or joining.

Uh...you were what now

Even at such a young age, she displayed the characteristics of a ruler.
Silly to be jealous of her, right?

You were jealous of a five-ish year old?

What characteristics of a "ruler" shows up on a kid??

Lord Ryoma...
I wonder if that played a part in my transgression against her.
What do you mean?

If I had been stronger, I could have been able to stop them. I failed in my duty as an older brother. I knew it then, and I still feel that pain. And I can't be sure that I tried my hardest...because of that jealousy.
You mustn't feel that way! That event was out of your control. You were very young then, and even if you'd been as strong as you are now... It's impossible to think you could have changed the outcome that day.
I know, Yukimura... But I still believe that I need to come to terms with these feelings.
Which is why I'm going to head to the Bottomless Canyon. I've decided that I trust Corrine and will fight for her cause. That is the only way I feel I can make up for failing to protect her.

Out of all the reasons to join Corrine, that is one of the weirdest. And Camilla already joined the party.

Ryoma, I won't ask you to explain any further.
But if you're gonna go fight for Corrine, I'll join you.
Thank you, Scarlet.

*Hinoka appears*

That feeling when you remembered that Hinoka hasn't shown up since way back at the decision.

They don't really explain where she was during the Fort Jinya visit and when she arrived after that.

Hinoka. I see you've done an excellent job protecting the castle.
I'm sorry to do this to you, and I know I just arrived, but I must leave again. Corrine needs my help at the Bottomless Canyon. I want you to remain here with Yukimura and continue your de—

Eh, the castle will be fine. It was fine in Birthright, it'll be fine here.

What?
I overheard you talking with Yukimura. You're not the only one who feels responsible for Corrine's kidnapping. You remember why I decided to learn how to use a naginata, right?
Of course. It was so that you could rescue Corrine someday...right?
Correct. I can't even describe how much I regretted not being able to protect Corrine. I kept thinking: if only I had been stronger, or a better fighter... I could have protected her.

I felt so betrayed. We'd only just gotten her back, and she was turning on us. I was so stunned by her decision, I again couldn't act to change things...

You were betrayed that she chose neither? Wow, what an overreaction. I think you were less angry in Conquest, somehow.

I want to show Corrine that I believe in her. As her older sister, I want to be with her until the end.
Somehow, I'm not surprised that stubbornness runs in this family. Sorry, Yukimura. Looks like you'll be handling the castle's defense on your own.

Does she know that Takumi and Sakura are there as well....? She would be helping her family regardless.

"I'm so irrevelant that my only contribution is a small snippet told by Shura!"

Don't worry about the castle, Lord Ryoma. I'll make sure it's here when you return.
Thank you, Yukimura!
However, I do have one stipulation. You aren't allowed to complain if the castle isn't in the exact same condition. No harm shall befall the throne room, of course.

Protect that goddamn chair in case we ever need it again for some stupid reason.

But I can't be so sure that the bedrooms, specifically yours, won't be blown to bits. Anything can happen in war, you know.
Of c-course.
Also...
You must promise me that you will return. Hoshido needs its royal family.
Of course, Yukimura.
You have my thanks, Yukimura. I promise we will come back.
Then I wish you good hunting.

I think that's more dialogue with Yukimura than the other routes put together.

We haven't a moment to waste! The skies will change soon!

Wait, lava field??

When the hell was there a lava field here??

It looks like neither Ryoma nor Prince Xander were swayed to join us...
Let's not give up yet. The skies above Nohr and Hoshido haven't completely changed.

It's getting more difficult to see the difference between noon and night.
I never knew what it looked like when the skies changed...
Hm? Someone's approaching.

So...did the war in Conquest and Hoshido just end really soon or something, because this whole thing seems like a big deal to not mention until now.....

As opposed to what other army

Instead of getting Prince Xander's cooperation, we get an assault!
I can't believe he would do this!
This...is your answer, Xander?

Like, even if he somehow didn't, he was really stupid for just shouting out "WE'RE GONNA MEET CORRINE AT THE BOTTOMLESS CANYONE, OKAY LEO?"

Listen to me, Corrine. You must stay strong. We can't lose here, or all we've done will have been for nothing.
Follow me, you scum! We'll hurl the Hoshidans and traitors into the canyon!

*Takumi and Camilla take out some enemies*

*Ryoma and Hinoka arrive and eliminate some enemies*

What?!

*Azama, Setsuna, and Scarlet arrive*

Don't worry—we've come to fight by your side!
Did you see the enemy army? This has all the looks of a fantastic battle!
You all came!
Amazing! Even Hinoka is here!
Victory is all but assured now.

I mean, yeah. Ryoma.

I'm so glad that you all decided to believe in us. In Corrine.

but you have forgotten to introduce us, your loyal retainers.
Huh? You are...?
I am called Azama. If you make foolish mistakes and injure yourselves, I can put you right.
Um... I'm Setsuna. I'm good with...a bow.
...Azama... You are standing on my foot.
Ahaha! My apologies!

Don't judge them by appearances; they come through when it counts. Corrine... After all this time, I'm finally with you. I'm happy that the two of us can fight side by side again.
Thank you, Hinoka! Thanks to everyone who came!
We don't have time for a tearful reunion! We need to get into position!

Units Joined

Ryoma is the exact same as in Birthright, with a spare Master Seal in his inventory.

->

2 levels====/+2 HP/+1 STR/+1 SKL/+1 DEF/+1 RES

That seems...awful, considering her growths. She has 60% growth speed, Revelation.

->

9 levels===/+1 HP/+5 STR/+1 MAG/+5 SKL/+7 SPD/+4 LCK/+3 DEF/+8 RES

Wow, screw you if you like Hinoka I guess. She seriously gained one hit point in 9 levels?

->

6 levels===/+4 HP/+1 STR/+1 MAG/+2 SKL/+3 SPD/+4 LCK/+4 DEF/+2 RES

Azama got good gains on his defensive stats.

->

8 levels===/+6 HP/+4 STR/+1 MAG/+6 SKL/+7 SPD/+5 LCK/+3 DEF/+7 RES

What is this freakishly tanky and strong Setsuna? She's one of the few examples of Revelation greatly buffing the characters.

The team is separated into team Ryoma and team Corrine, though obviously Ryoma can solo the map if needed.

Bench 5, levels included: http://www.strawpoll.me/13396951

Tae fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 10, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Hinoka's HP is loving brutal. Mostly solved by throwing a robe at her, but still.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
You missed a him/her here:

I want to show Corrine that I believe in her. As her older sister, I want to be with him/her until the end.

also Scarlet's stat block says 'Leaves', spoiling one of the game's biggest gently caress Yous

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting will end in an hour. The whiplash on Jakob is absurd.

edit: Narrow race. Hinata, Hana, Nyx, Kaden, Reina are out. 3 vote difference between the top and bottom.

I guess Corrine has all the swords now.

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 10, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So basically there's no one left on the enemy side who can Dragon Vein? Except maybe Garon?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I would ask why Anankos gets a pass for messing with Nohr

Then realized I didn't care

Glorious Hoshido being attacked is far more important than Nohr, evidently. Really, it's not like the writers cared, so why should we?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The shittiness of Birthright and Conquest's writing is made doubly lovely here because Revelation feels the need to exposit all the information from both of those routes in a quarter of the chapters. No writer is going to be able to salvage what little plot Fates has when they're obligated to jam three major plot points into every half-hour stretch.

The real bad part is that this was supposed to be the final "canon" route. Instead of fixing the problems in the first two plots, they jammed them together awkwardly to produce a complete mess.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

...why did Yukimura threaten to blow up Hinoka's bedroom?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

He's kind of a dick

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hana and Hinata are instantly out, despite stacking the deck to have them on the team. Also, Jakob's back??

It's possible that activating them will allow us to manipulate the flames...

Despite the worry of flames coming down at the wrong time to let ambushes happen, the map isn't really that dangerous. The pattern changes slow enough that you have time to recover, and you have Ryoma to solve any mistakes.

Hinoka boasts a sky-high 28 resistance with the Guard Naginata, negating any damage from Sorcerers for this mission.

Setsuna and Ryoma are the only ones that are going to be part of Revelation's roster, so they're going to get the most action out of the group.

Beruka gets a chip level off her first battle, gaining everything but magic and speed. My hope is that at worst she's a flying tank that can hit very accurately. So basically axe Subaki.

The southern team will snake from the bottom and take out some enemies, while Ryoma's team will make way towards Hans. It's basically built for his group to bulldoze their way to end the map quickly.

Oh right, Setsuna does that.

It's so satisfying to finally have this broken character on my side again after so long.

Look at that! The flames changed! There must be a set interval for when they burst and fade.

The flames peter out and new ones fill different fault lines. Thankfully it's at the end of the enemy turn, so you can avoid disaster as long as you stay on the outer area of the map.

To put into context, 90% of my physical units can barely scratch these General's high defense. Even Shura struggles to do more than five damage a hit.

Jakob's reaching to a nice point where he can wield the Flame Shuriken as his main weapon and reach close to Birthright Felicia's terrifying power.

Setsuna is darting around to counter-kill a bunch of mages, gaining herself another level. At 13, she gets +STR/SKL/SPD/RES which might luck her into being decent. She's certainly not going to have trouble doubling unlike Takumi at the very least.

...Seriously, why do I bother? What is the point of Orochi? Even in Birthright, it is not hard at all for Hayato to be better than her in a couple levels.

Hans is surrounded by a bunch of Adventurers and Berserkers, while the southern forces have to go through a couple Generals.

14 speed at level 18 is uh...not good for her growths. It's somewhat helped by the Alpha Yato effectively giving +3 speed at least.

Saizo is taking the form of the lone ninja path that Laslow was, which is being really slow and honestly kind of weak. He's hitting the bad coin-flips on his strength and speed.

Enemy reinforcements do show up after a long enough while, but unlucky for them that they entered the Ryoma zone.

Beruka hunts down a Sorcerer that Hinoka baited and weakened, but got herself a terrible level as...punishment?

She got to rank C in axes, so at the very least she got access to Dual Club.

At this point, I might have to switch gears and make Corrine a dragon debuffer once she promotes to Nohrian Noble. A fragile, slow sword user isn't exactly a winning combination.

Hayato loves critting Generals. And he reaches level 20 for STR/MAG/SPD/DEF, ready for promotion.

...what is the upside. She has 9 speed.

The southern team is done for this mission, so now it's up to team Ryoma.

I'm having Hayato take up the Basara class, partly to show it off. Partly to ride his good HP growth and just make a really bulky, speedy spellcaster.

All you need to know is that he's got Astra in his bag of tricks now.

The only notable grunt drop is this Killer Bow, which will work nicely with Setsuna. That or she'll stick with forged Steel Yumi's, depending on how voting goes.

9 speed?? Okay, Axe Orochi.

Actually...I don't care if you're ready or not. The more of you I kill, the better the promotion I'll get as a reward. Earl Hans... No... Duke Hans... Yes, that has a nice ring to it.

No custom talk with Corrine, or Gunter, or anyone. He was evil, and that's about it. Him gettin more screen and plot time than half the royal siblings is terrible.

She can never gain skill again and still hit better than most of the characters.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
For as bad as Revelations is, at least it rightly killed Hans off sooner than the others. Seriously, how does this glorified Chapter 1 bandit boss get elevated into being one of the top of the villain food chain? Iago is a terrible villain, but at least he has skills that would be very useful for an evil group. Hans just guts people without a hint of strategy.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

Geostomp posted:

For as bad as Revelations is, at least it rightly killed Hans off sooner than the others. Seriously, how does this glorified Chapter 1 bandit boss get elevated into being one of the top of the villain food chain? Iago is a terrible villain, but at least he has skills that would be very useful for an evil group. Hans just guts people without a hint of strategy.

That's Fate's in a nutshell sadly.
There's plenty of potential for a good or decent story, but it all gets pissed away by bad writing or bad maps dragging everything down into the muck.
This game has so many problems that the fact that so many made it to into the games makes you feel like they just didn't care

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No thanks to Xander's loud mouth.

Wait, if Hans is here...

No, don't relax just yet. It's not quite finished.
What?
Look over there.

...That's a lot of promoted units. And is that a turret??

Even Iago being here is kinda rushed, because the last time he did anything to Corrine was the illusion thing at the Eternal Stairway. Except he just kinda smirked without saying anything, and now he's here.

Oh... So Hans failed? That's a shame. He made for a pretty good pawn. At least he softened up Corrine's army for me.
Well, time to get started.

YES THAT'S RIGHT. DIRECTLY INTO THE NEXT CHAPTER WITH NO SAVE

I don't think we can afford to flee. If we run away, we may not be able to fight our way back to the Bottomless Canyon...
Then our only choice is to stay and fight! But are we digging our own graves here? This can't be how everything ends. We've come so far...

Ryoma, you don't understand the limits I'm going to be on.

Ryoma... I'm just not sure.
Listen, Corrine. I didn't come all this way jut to die or turn tail and run. Everyone here has come to fight with you because they believe in you. Including me. Cast off your worries. No matter how dire things look, you must fight on.

Was running away seriously an option? Now of all times?

Thank you, Ryoma. All right! We don't have a choice! Everyone, prepare for battle!

As if going directly into the next chapter isn't bad enough, your deployment slots are basically half of the last mission now.

So many promoted units.

I have so many units available that I don't know how to vote them off.

Hayato (21)
Benny (17)
Saizo (18)
Subaki (18)
Orochi (17)
Keaton (19)
Jakob (20)
Beruka (16)
Shura (30)
Ryoma (25)
Setsuna (15)
Hana (15)
Reina (25)
Hinata (16)
Nyx (13)
Kaden (16)

I can only pick 9. :shrug: Do people want a 16+ list or just suggesting immediate cut-offs? Cause slight spoiler, the deployment slots are small in Revelation.

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 13, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

My suggestion is cut anyone whose child we've seen, which...

...wait is Saizo the only unit in that list for whom that's the case.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tae posted:

Cause slight spoiler, the deployment slots are small in Revelation.

Yeah, this is IMO the game's biggest failing. "Have the whole cast! And only bring ten including the main character."

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
There's a iagosmirk: in there, chief.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, this is IMO the game's biggest failing. "Have the whole cast! And only bring ten including the main character."
Oh, this isn't the worst of it yet.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Drop off the 6 lowest leveled, then have a vote to keep Benny or Orochi.

For the record, cut:
Beruka (16)
Setsuna (15)
Hana (15)
Hinata (16)
Nyx (13)
Kaden (16)

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

BlazeEmblem posted:

For the record, cut:
Beruka (16)
Setsuna (15)
Hana (15)
Hinata (16)
Nyx (13)
Kaden (16)

Switch Beruka for Orochi and that's my vote. You already have plenty of magic in what's his face the kid. I maintain you can never have enough flyers, even if Beruka isn't performing well. Again.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

BlazeEmblem posted:

For the record, cut:
Beruka (16)
Setsuna (15)
Hana (15)
Hinata (16)
Nyx (13)
Kaden (16)

Yes, do this. Except the opposite.

I want to see Nyx and Orochi and all the other bad characters whose names I can't remember kill the final boss.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

PassingPie posted:

I want to see Nyx and Orochi and all the other bad characters whose names I can't remember kill the final boss.

This plz. :D
Throw a healer in for good measure, though. Gotta give Tae something to work with.

tallboarLittlehand
Sep 7, 2011

BlazeEmblem posted:

For the record, cut:
Beruka (16)
Setsuna (15)
Hana (15)
Hinata (16)
Nyx (13)
Kaden (16)

I'll roll with this plan. The opposite will only lead to madness and aggravation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Pure chaos for either absolute brokenness or the most suffering possible

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Is it even Fire Emblem without maximum RNG.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
*Raises glass of wine* To randomness! And to FE Switch being way better than this piece of poo poo!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tae there is no possible way you didn't know what the vote results would be when you posted that survey

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Update's going to be slow for this weekend. Meanwhile, here's the party:
Saizo
Orochi
Jakob
Beruka
Ryoma
Setsuna
Reina
Nyx
Kaden

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
This thread makes me glad I burned out on Conquest with a self-imposed "everyone must have +5 Iron" rule, that saved me from buying Birthright and presumably Revelations, provided Birthright didn't dissuade me first.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks to the roll of the die, I got my most powerful units available as well as Orochi and Kaden.

First thing is to send everyone to the right. The left side of the map is mostly Knights and Generals, so it's much harder for the enemy to pincer this way.

Immediately after ending my turn, enemy reinforcements show up in huge numbers. Give or take 5 Generals and 5-6 Paladins and Great Knights.

Things are looking bad...
Don't worry, Corrine. We'll get you through this.
Jeez, you really can't get anything done without help, can you?
What? Wait a minute, I know those voices. Could it really be...

*Two figures arrive*

You must have the devil's luck, Corrine.

That will never catch on, Leo. Stop trying.

Xander! Leo!
We fight together, Corrine. I'm sorry it took us this long to join you...
Iago's forces will prove no match for me. I'll crush them in the blink of an eye. I've never liked his illusory magic... It will be a pleasure to remove him permanently from the Nohrian army.
So, his forces didn't come here on your orders...

Xander won't mention that it's probably his fault that Iago is here with half the army.

We'll talk more later, Corrine. We don't have much time left before the skies change.
We have to combine our strength and clear the way to victory!
...All right!

*grumble* That's fine. They weren't the most easily manipulated of pawns...
King Garon's grand plans must be accomplished no matter what. I'll strike down anyone in the way, be they royal blood or common peasants.
The future holds no place for any of you!

I can never tell if Iago is wary of Garon's surface plan or actual plan. Because one of them is to troll Corrin but all of them are basically real attempts at murder.

Xander and Leo are the exact same as Conquest, minus an Iron Sword for Leo.

Keaton gets the first kill of the mission, gaining useless magic and raising his defense. A terrifying...ten now. Eight with the Beast Stone equipped.

*After setting up defenses for next turn*

Ha... Perhaps our liege is a fan of seeing us suffer? I can understand.
Bah! You all are so slow! If I'd left a river of blood in my wake—like I normally do—you'd be swallowed by it!
Thank you for not leaving a river of blood for us, Peri! You're the absolute best!
M-more reinforcements?
*sigh* It took the four of you long enough.

"There's a 50% chance they will murder you."

That we are. Ready and eager to help, as ordered. I am Niles, a retainer to Lord Leo. The enemy looks to be quite angry. Don't worry—it will be my genuine pleasure to make them regret crossing you.
And I...am Odin Dark! Loyal retainer of Lord Leo. I have cut through the darkness of space to serve my lord however he needs.
My unmatched skill with magic will tear through the enemy's ranks! Nice to meet you!
I'm Laslow. I'm one of Lord Xander's retainers. I know that our paths crossed once before, but I will fight by your side now.
...That's all. Please—it's a bit embarrassing to be stared at by everyone...

Like Laslow here, I'm Lord Xander's retainer!
I learned a new way to go about butchering the enemy—I can't wait to show it off!

She seems way more bloodthirsty here than she ever was in Conquest.

Wow... Always good to get new allies.
Make use of them as you see fit.
Don't let us down now, Corrine. Not after we've brought so much help!
Thank you, Xander! Thank you, Leo!

6 levels-> +2 HP/+3 STR/+1 SKL/+2 SPD/+3 LCK/+2 DEF/+1 RES

Your help sucks, guys. Peri's strengths are STR, SPD, and RES and she barely hit even with one of them. She has a 50% RES growth, but you gave her one?? Come on. She comes with a free Javelin which is the only "buff."

4 levels-> +2 HP/+2 STR/+3 SKL/+3 SPD/+2 LCK/+2 DEF/+1 RES

Laslow somehow hit the speed jackpot while being disappointing in three of his 60% growths.

6 levels -> +2 HP/+2 STR/+1 MAG/+2 SKL/+2 SPD/+1 LCK/+3 DEF/+4 RES

How do you gain only 2 speed with a 70% speed growth?! And gained 3 defense on a 30% growth???

7 levels -> +3 HP/+3 STR/+4 MAG/+2 SKL/+3 SPD/+3 LCK/+1 DEF/+3

His gains are decent. The problem with him is that he starts at level 12. Halfway into the game. Why.

There's a long line of horses that need to be murdered, which will be systematically weakened and fed to the lower level characters.

While I highlight how bad Kaden is at his niche, I show off that middle and bottom areas will be peppering my units with turrets and magic.

Level update

Corrine->20-HP/SKL/SPD/LCK/DEF/RES

Beruka ->17-HP/STR/LCK

Ryoma->6-STR/SKL/DEF

Setsuna->16-HP/SKL/SPD/LCK/RES

Corrine is upgrading to Nohr Noble to gain access to Dragonic Hex. Not that there's an excuse needed, but Corrine is no longer a frontline fighter like Birthright and Conquest despite the Alpha Yato's power.

Niles really can't do anything with his bad starting level and usual bad strength, so he's going to rely on the promoted units to get any actual chip damage in. It's a bit embarrassing.

He gets a free Steel Sword off the corpse for money purposes.

Nyx is giving some real false hope in not being an utter wet paper tissue with all this HP growth. Her resistance still isn't high enough to be considered a magic tank, especially with Jakob around.

This Faceless is actually kinda terrifying, almost Conquest-like. Very good speed, insane defense, and has Immobilize: If user’s attack connects with the enemy, the enemy’s Movement is reduced to 0 and Avoid reduced by 20 until the next Turn.

It is very easy to get tagged randomly by this lone Faceless and get ganged up upon.

Had to use Xander to get rid of the Strategist that keeps peppering my units. Peri takes out a General that's been chasing us from across the map all this time.

Oh hell no.

My plan is to have the bench characters Odin and Laslow to plug up the fortresses so I don't have to deal with reinforcements.

Meanwhile, Ryoma quickly takes out the Bow Knight turret to eliminate the last AoE threat.

*sigh* Sometimes I really hate these mixed stats. Why does Nyx have 5 strength.

Well, the good news is that she's gaining strength well which means she's a hard hitting one-hit flier. Bad news is that she's not exactly doing anything else with that speed. Unless you're Benny with ungodly high stats, being doubled negates that you're a bit tankier than the average unit.

A couple horse mages show up as reinforcements, and that's all there is thanks to the Awakening butts I planted before.

Jakob gets a good level off healing in the meantime.

Iago's final moments are kinda eh. High magic, high resistance, good HP. But he's foiled by day 1 maids and butlers, which I can FINALLY use against him after none in Conquest.

However, it is now your time to die. With you out of the way, the world will be King Garon's for the taking.
Enjoy reflecting on all your mistakes...in the afterlife!

I... King Garon... H-help...me...

By extension, Xander killed him. And that's it for Iago. That sure was a thing they needed to tie up in Revelation rush style.

The rest is clean-up since this mission is a Seize and I can just await the enemies while trying to feed and make something out of Niles and Orochi.

Level update

Peri->18-STR/LCK/RES
19-HP/SKL/SPD

Niles->16-HP/STR/SKL/SPD/LCK/RES

Orochi->18-SPD/LCK (10 speed)

Saizo->19-STR/DEF (16 STR/SPD)

Kaden->18-HP/SPD/LCK/DEF

Setsuna->17-HP/SKL/SPD/LCK/RES

Why does Orochi even have speed growth. What's the point.

Saizo has low strength and speed, the worst of both worlds. When you make even Laslow a world beater, you got problems.

Setsuna is the only non-disappointment if only because she's an archer and archers have Quickdraw and Yumi's to offset bad strength.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I actually like how Iago and Hans get dispatched here.

Because it's exactly the way chumps like the two of them should be treated. They aren't important, the focus has changed, get the gently caress out of the way we're off to Valla.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh Valla. It is going to suck so hard.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
What happens if you say 'valor' but have a strong accent :thunk:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Now, hand over those needles. I'm feeling stabby!

That's OK! Detective Princess Elise is on the case!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ungulateman posted:

What happens if you say 'valor' but have a strong accent :thunk:
It occurs to me that we've never actually seen the curse take effect in any of the routes and have no proof that it really exists beyond Azura's words. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Isn't that what made her all melty?

• Locked thread