Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

I love the title screen for it more

I don't know if that's terrible or brilliant, so I'm giving them the benefit of doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I'm getting that Hyperkin SNES mouse in today, fingers crossed that the build quality isn't doody.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
My Qix story is that when I finally got a Gameboy I went to trade in my Game Gear stuff to the local shop. Qix was the cheapest game in the case by a fair margin, $6 vs $15+ for anything else. Didn't know what it was but it was Another Game. Anyway it turns out Qix owns.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

univbee posted:

Was it the one where after a certain amount of time the lady would morph into a Gigeresque nightmare? Those were...interesting.

I think you mean amazing.

Here's a fun trick (assuming you don't have the PCB): invite friends over for a MAME night and spring that one on them. It immediately justifies its own existence (and, as many have noted, Qix owns, even faux-sexy/horrifying ripoff Qix).

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

meat police posted:

I'm getting that Hyperkin SNES mouse in today, fingers crossed that the build quality isn't doody.
I'd love to hear if it makes any difference more than I saw on youtube with things like Mario Paint. It's like it's got an X/Y biased software acceleration problem, but the Hyperkin is flat out more accurate.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know if that's terrible or brilliant, so I'm giving them the benefit of doubt.
It's both, though even if it wasn't both but rather only one or the other, I'd still love it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The Kaneko Gals Panic games are legit good and I prefer their style over the Qix style. Can you even get 100% clear in a Qix style game? The Kankeo ones seem a lot more...strategic? to me and makes for a better game experience.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

The Kaneko Gals Panic games are legit good and I prefer their style over the Qix style. Can you even get 100% clear in a Qix style game? The Kankeo ones seem a lot more...strategic? to me and makes for a better game experience.

Obviously in the uncover a girl's picture Qix-alikes you can since it only counts the area that is the girl. For real Qix, I don't think I've ever seen better than 99.9% which makes me think that the algorithm always rounds down.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Obviously in the uncover a girl's picture Qix-alikes you can since it only counts the area that is the girl. For real Qix, I don't think I've ever seen better than 99.9% which makes me think that the algorithm always rounds down.

When I play a Qix style game I just end up going for a move and then "oh, i got 75%/80% I guess? :confuoot:" and it's not very satisfying. Maybe it's just me. GP style owns though.

I think both you can technically trap the boss though which is always cool when you can pull it off.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Here's a screenshot of the character(?) select of one of the explicit lewd Qix games (New Fantasia):

Yeah.

e: the first game has Michael Jackson, Harrison Ford, and Sylvester Stallone

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 11, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Here's a screenshot of the character(?) select of one of the explicit lewd Qix games (New Fantasia):

Yeah.

e: the first game has Michael Jackson, Harrison Ford, and Sylvester Stallone

This one has robocop therefor it's the superior game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Not just Robin Williams, but specifically Robin Williams in Toys.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

al-azad posted:

This one has robocop therefor it's the superior game.

The first game has him too.

Plus the ones I mentioned, and apparently top-center is Bruce Willis from Hudson Hawk, which would explain why I didn't recognize him as I haven't seen the movie.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I finally got around to buying screwdriver bits to open up cartridges and I was wondering, is there a website that has a searchable compilation of legit game board pics that I can reference other than GIS?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ofecks posted:

The first game has him too.

Plus the ones I mentioned, and apparently top-center is Bruce Willis from Hudson Hawk, which would explain why I didn't recognize him as I haven't seen the movie.

Trying to think of a time where Stallone wore a hat. Death Race?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

I finally got around to buying screwdriver bits to open up cartridges and I was wondering, is there a website that has a searchable compilation of legit game board pics that I can reference other than GIS?
NES: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/
SNES: https://snescentral.com/gameindex.php
N64: http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/tcsr2001.tripod.com/

This was some very quick Googling, searching for 'pcb database'. I'm sure there's others for Genesis, etc.

Out of curiousity, do you suspect you have a fake game?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Trying to think of a time where Stallone wore a hat. Death Race?

Rocky.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

shyduck posted:

NES: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/
SNES: https://snescentral.com/gameindex.php
N64: http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/tcsr2001.tripod.com/

This was some very quick Googling, searching for 'pcb database'. I'm sure there's others for Genesis, etc.

Out of curiousity, do you suspect you have a fake game?

I bought Sculptor's Cut a few years ago for a decent price, and every now and then I've wondered if it's real. It seems like the amount of repros back then were nowhere near what they are now, especially for N64 games. I'd like to have comfort in knowing that my more "expensive" games that I've bought over the years are legit.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

That is probably more likely, yeah.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rirse posted:

I bought a used GBA from the pawn shop today for ten bucks, mostly to use with the GB Player when my Gamecube arrives later in the month from the UK. How hard is it to do the backlight mod with my model, which I guess is a pin 40. I saw a ebay listing for 60 that has a replacement case and everything that amount. Also do I need a Gamecube controller (if the one I bought didn't have one) to use Swiss/GBI or can I use the controller cable that connects to the GBA to control that?

Only thing I am wondering, do I need to solder if I get the kit, as I never done that before.

I was about to ask the same question as I picked up a GBA with 10 games cheap last night.

Retro Modding has the cable pre-soldered with the brightness switch, so saves you the worry of soldering: https://www.retromodding.com

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Depending on the kit, you'll have to solder one wire for power. The overall difficulty of the mod I'd put at maybe intermediate. The most time consuming part will be doing the cutting and shaving of the chassis to fit the new screen and fitting to make sure the viewport is clear. I'd recommend wearing some gloves to avoid getting fingerprints on the new screen during install.

https://gist.github.com/grantland/8c112548b44aa87dced2
Thanks for that info

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

BisterdDave posted:

General rule of thumb is that repros and pirates are really easy to spot because they're oddly small and covered with epoxy and lovely soldering instead of official boards that usually fill out at least half the cart and use chips.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Won't lie, I kind of want an AGB-001 with AGS-101 screen atm. Preferably a green one. Only reason I haven't bitten on an eBay auction for one is curiosity about brightness, brightness switches, and all that jazz.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I bought that Hyperkin SNES mouse and it seems to work really well.

Tested it with Mario Paint, Sim Ant, King Arthur's World, T2, and Shien's Revenge.

Mario Paint was the best, since it has mouse speed options and you can set it to better match your movements, the others not so much though that's probably just because of the original peripheral they were designed for. King Arthur's World was a bit slow on the take, though Sim Ant is pretty nice. And then the other two were just me dicking around looking for mouse games on my flashcart so those games just kind of suck to begin with, of note is the menu on Shien being so finicky that it was drat near impossible to select the options menu before it went back to the attract mode.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Shadow Hog posted:

Won't lie, I kind of want an AGB-001 with AGS-101 screen atm. Preferably a green one. Only reason I haven't bitten on an eBay auction for one is curiosity about brightness, brightness switches, and all that jazz.

I ordered a BTO one from retromodding. I have one with a brightness switch, but there is basically no reason to ever set it to the lower setting. The brightness level is fine, but be aware that a real SP with an AGS-101 screen will go brighter than an AGB unit, even with the new screen installed. It looks great, crisp, but is not really that bright when playing in a well lit room. Like, compared to a DSi XL it is noticeably dimmer. It's the best way to play in the AGB form factor, for sure, and the screen itself is beautiful. I think I read somewhere that you can tweak some voltage pots or something if you take apart the unit, and get more brightness that way, but things can get pretty unstable so ymmv.

Also, the BTO ones from Retromodding use 3rd party shells, so it won't feel quite as tight/quality as a real AGB.

If you are going to buy one on ebay, try to find out if it's a genuine salvaged AGS-101 screen or a reproduction, and if the shell used is a genuine AGB or a 3rd party one like mine.

All said in done though I definitely love mine paired with the GBA Everdrive.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, I don't think there were ever genuine Jungle Green GBA shells (in fact the only green non-SP GBA was a Japan-only limited-edition Celebi Green, according to Wikipedia), so that bit's probably moot. The genuine screen is a big question mark, though; only green one I saw that insisted they were using salvaged screens also had weird blue buttons, and ehhhh

Man, the custom GBAs on that site are :retrogames:. Of course, so are the ones on eBay, but they're like $50-70 cheaper, too...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I ordered one from ebay that is only a state away with the case and everything, because the old case is very wore from years of use.

Yeah even the screen has specs on it, so this thing highly needs to be upgraded.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 12, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Reminder that glass (not plastic!) screen cover replacements are available for your GBAs. Check your local eBay listings.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Reminder that glass (not plastic!) screen cover replacements are available for your GBAs. Check your local eBay listings.

The person I bought it from had the option to get a glass cover, but I opted out.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, I don't think there were ever genuine Jungle Green GBA shells (in fact the only green non-SP GBA was a Japan-only limited-edition Celebi Green, according to Wikipedia), so that bit's probably moot. The genuine screen is a big question mark, though; only green one I saw that insisted they were using salvaged screens also had weird blue buttons, and ehhhh

Man, the custom GBAs on that site are :retrogames:. Of course, so are the ones on eBay, but they're like $50-70 cheaper, too...

Ah yeah missed that part about you wanting a jungle green one. The retromodding one is a bit more expensive, but you are guaranteed a genuine screen and "new" 3rd party parts, plus the glass screen protector etc. Also his customer support and service, communication etc. is top notch.
If you find an ebay listing that ticks all the boxes you want then go for it though. It's definitely an awesome thing to have in the collection whichever way you go.

Keep that brightness thing in mind though! If you aren't married to the AGB body type and can live with using a headphone adapter, you may want to look into just getting a used SP AGS 101 for cheaper.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, I used to have an AGS-101. Traded it down to a friend for his AGS-001 (to be fair, mine's case was really mucked up, and I was feeling generous in general that day), but I think he's used an unofficial screen for it cuz there's these weird glowing horizontal lines visible when you're looking dead-on at the screen that make it kinda hard to actually see anything on the screen to play it... hence why I'm running back to the AGS-101 screen ASAP.

Only reason I'm wary of just going back to that is A) I actually own Kirby's Tilt and Tumble for some reason and wouldn't mind trying it out again sometime, and B) since the carts stuck out the bottom of the unit, I had issues with the game resetting if I accidentally bumped the cart on the surface I was resting my arms on (particularly with GB/GBC games). Otherwise, I'd just pick up another Pearl Blue that wasn't in beat-up shape. (Having a dedicated headphone jack instead of making the multiplayer port pull double-duty would be nice too, but those adapters are cheap, so that's not really a deal-breaker.)

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
What's the battery situation like for a modded OG GBA? Are you guys just using rechargeables and swapping them as needed? How many hours are you getting with the new screen?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

BisterdDave posted:

I bought Sculptor's Cut a few years ago for a decent price, and every now and then I've wondered if it's real. It seems like the amount of repros back then were nowhere near what they are now, especially for N64 games. I'd like to have comfort in knowing that my more "expensive" games that I've bought over the years are legit.

You can usually tell from the quality of the plastic of the cartridges. Or the quality of the resolution of the label. Just compare it to another N64 game.

Harder to see from online ebay pictures, which is where people get fooled.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Monopthalmus posted:

What's the battery situation like for a modded OG GBA? Are you guys just using rechargeables and swapping them as needed? How many hours are you getting with the new screen?

I put a 101 screen in my OG GBA and the battery life is fine. I still get several hours out of it. And since it uses standard AA's, you don't need to worry about the rechargeable battery getting old. And yeah I just use some eneloops in it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Is there a reasonable method of getting some HD Retrovision SFC cables, or do I need to invest in SCART setups?

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Takoluka posted:

Is there a reasonable method of getting some HD Retrovision SFC cables, or do I need to invest in SCART setups?

They show as in stock on their website, so order from there?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gorgolflox posted:

They show as in stock on their website, so order from there?

Oh, well look at that. They've been sold out every time I went to their site!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Monopthalmus posted:

The 101 screen is more efficient (newer tech) and actually extends battery life I believe. See this video by THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE as he has great videos on screen mods on GB/GBC/GBA.

The normal got about 20 hours and the 101 screen modded one got about 23 hours, this is sitting in demo modes on a mario game when you start it and let it run the demo at the start screen. He says at the end that actually playing it drops the battery life since you are interacting with it (extra 15mA of draw) and he projects 15 hours for the GBA (what nintendo advertised) and 18 hours with the modded 101 screen.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 12, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

A month ago, I thought I was going to get out of gaming... Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I always wanted a Zelda edition GBA SP (frontlit version) that were only released in Europe. So ordered one on eBay and got it in. Man, the front light on the GBA were surprisingly more washed out than I remembered them to be. I guess I am just so used to my SP101 and GBA w/SP101 mod. Oh well, it is shelf candy now with the occasional play here and there. Though I should try playing it in the dark, it may be less harsh on the eyes than the backlit 101 screen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Takoluka posted:

Oh, well look at that. They've been sold out every time I went to their site!

They were sold out for all summer, they literally just went back in stock, somebody posted about it like a page ago.

Remember that even with the HD retrovision cables, many TVs that support component still won't support 240p or 480i or whatever it is you need to properly run the games.

I resisted for a long time, but just going SCART and getting a cheap upscaler (don't have to go full framemeister if you can't afford it) is honestly not as scary as it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Does the HD retrovision SNES cable work with a RGB modded N64? Their site basically says untested and no guarantees on modded consoles that aren't natively supported.

• Locked thread