Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

WindyMan posted:

I disagree, I actually found the race pretty good. I thought strategy stuff got interesting leading up to the Stage 2 finish with some cars electing to not take a pit stop during the stage break, but it ultimately not mattering because Truex knew he was going to win that race no matter what everyone else tried or what NASCAR's rules would try to do to gently caress him over. That it stayed green until that late caution allowed the race to develop, instead of everyone just racing each other to the next caution that normally happens because people are racing stupid to cause one.

As it got closer and closer to the finish and it was longer and longer without a caution, I couldn't help but notice the chatter elsewhere about people saying that a caution "needs" to come out to save this "boring" race. It's kind of a sad state where the only definition of a good race in many people's eyes is how much wheel-to-wheel action and passing there is. You can still have a good time with positional strategy and gaining/losing time, even without a lot of action on the track. The Iowa Indycar race was more that than on-track action, but it was still a fun one. In NASCAR's case, its quest to all but eliminate the emphasis on that side of racing (electing instead to throw cautions and bunch up the field for :siren:EXCITING RESTARTS:siren:) is partly to blame for it being in the position it's found itself in presently.

Although I don't disagree with you about this. I did start to wonder towards the end if there were any battles elsewhere on the track, or if the entire field had strung out to a point where there wasn't. If there's no real racing happening anywhere in the field, NBC should at least check in on the closest backmarkers from time to time.

I wasn't looking for a caution to spice things up, in fact I hate that poo poo. I don't like it when a race is "taken away" from a driver that dominates the poo poo out it but gets run into during a GWC and loses it all. It seemed to me that, as you mentioned, the #78 pretty much had it sewn up baring some late race overtime bullcrap, which almost happened which would have been a real shame because in my mind no amount of cautions were going "save" that race. I was all for long greens to get it over with. I know what you're saying with the strategy stuff (I actually watch F1 as well and find enjoyment playing the strategy game from the top of the grid through the bottom of the points to see who gets points and podiums and who screws the pooch) but to me the stage racing takes a lot of the strategy out of the race and lays it out a little more straight forward and takes the strategy angle away a little bit. There are little strategy plays here and there as far as teams trying for track position or stage points at stage ends but with the cautions basically laid out into perfect 1 stop fuel runs even if it goes green really takes a lot out of the race.

Long runs, short runs, stages or green from flag to flag I don't think there was a scenario available to make that race interesting. If you found excitement in it more power to you, I just didn't find it this time. E: Kyle Larson passed the whole drat field tiwce and that wasn't enough to hold my interest. Maybe it is the coverage because when a guy makes 75 passes in a race to finish second and you can't make it look interesting that is a problem.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Norns posted:

I don't hate Toyota i just hate JGR

They were badass in IMSA, IndyCar, and SCORE. Like that seems to be where they hit the sweet spot of where people that buy their vehicles are.

NASCAR is still just an awkward as hell fit.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

bigbillystyle posted:

I know what you're saying with the strategy stuff but to me the stage racing takes a lot of the strategy out of the race and lays it out a little more straight forward and takes the strategy angle away a little bit. There are little strategy plays here and there as far as teams trying for track position or stage points at stage ends but with the cautions basically laid out into perfect 1 stop fuel runs even if it goes green really takes a lot out of the race.

Yeah, I agree with you. NASCAR has dumbed things down so that the most important strategy is to pass cars and get your butt to the front of the field. There's nothing wrong with that, until you get a race like the last one where the someone dominates and the field spreads out. Without any real long-term strategy options there isn't an alternate way to go off-strategy with pit stops, because the pitstop windows are set in stone before the race even starts.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's better than the COT and the big-spoiler G6 days where the strategy was nothing but field position, except that was because the cars were insanely hard to pass in, and you'd get races where one guy would dominate, have a bad pit stop, restart in 9th and go nowhere the rest of the day

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Watching a race live is way better than watching it on TV. I've been to :airquote: boring :airquote: races before, but found the race entertaining by watching my driver do what he does during the course of the event.

Also, some of you people in this thread are loving goofy.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

WindyMan posted:

Yeah, I agree with you. NASCAR has dumbed things down so that the most important strategy is to pass cars and get your butt to the front of the field. There's nothing wrong with that, until you get a race like the last one where the someone dominates and the field spreads out. Without any real long-term strategy options there isn't an alternate way to go off-strategy with pit stops, because the pitstop windows are set in stone before the race even starts.

there was no strategy that was going to beat the 78

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Watching a race live is way better than watching it on TV. I've been to :airquote: boring :airquote: races before, but found the race entertaining by watching my driver do what he does during the course of the event.

No way

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Please dont doxx the details of my sexual cosplay.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

VikingSkull posted:

If this were still the 90s, I can think of a couple that would have been attempted.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Slickdrac posted:

If this were still the 90s, I can think of a couple that would have been attempted.

Tony Stewart retired last year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bigbillystyle posted:

To continue my complaining, is the burnout interview going to continue to be a thing? I thought last week was just the hype of it being Daytona and Sticky Ricky's second win and the first race on NBC and it just felt right to go out there and get the post burnout interview but then they do it again this week? It's a little redundant to do the burnout trackside interview and then the victory lane interview right after it. Again, I like Martin Truex but I don't need 20 minutes of post race interview with him. or anybody else.

That's a new thing they're doing to capture "the emotion of the moment" or whatever their flowery tagline is. The interview is also broadcast over the PA system to the fans. I heard it at Daytona.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

In a lot of circumstances, going into overtime and being forced to do the opposite of what the rest of the field does on pit stops would sink the leader. Truex was the exception, but the fact of the matter is a lot of deserving winners have been hosed over by NASCAR's push for a show.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The frontstretch interview thing is cool but doing it again in victory lane is decidedly less so. Can't have both, fellas

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yeah this is why I go to Mid Ohio rather than watch it on TV.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

WindyMan posted:

In a lot of circumstances, going into overtime and being forced to do the opposite of what the rest of the field does on pit stops would sink the leader. Truex was the exception, but the fact of the matter is a lot of deserving winners have been hosed over by NASCAR's push for a show.

true but I don't think a blown motor has anything to do with NASCAR

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

true but I don't think a blown motor has anything to do with NASCAR

A blown motor does not. A 3-laps to go caution leading into overtime, resulting in the leader stuck in a no-win situation to pit or not pit and potentially losing a race he should have won, has everything to do with NASCAR.

Getting rid of overtime would fix this, but that's never going to happen. Getting rid of the ability for the entire field except the leader to get fresh tires before the OT restart would fix this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

If I had my choice

In terms of schedule, rules, and things of that note? I'd have frozen the Cup schedule in 1995 or so. I'd have added Fontana before Daytona for the old "Riverside" date, but that's about it.

If Cup would have been smart? They should used the XFinity Series as a "northern" stock car series to go to venues/markets that Cup really didn't go to.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

to no one's surprise,

https://twitter.com/nascaronfox/status/884861740630016004

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

My body is ready for the #77 5-Hour Energy/OneMain Toyota of Elliott Sadler

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Boomer The Cannon posted:

My body is ready for the #77 5-Hour Energy/OneMain Toyota of Elliott Sadler

Kenseth is going to get the Casey Atwood/Joe Nemechek "demoted to the satellite operation" treatment.

...even though FRR has beat the pants off JGR this year.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

I'm actually considering going to NHIS this week just for that reason though I'm thinking it will be insufferably humid and hot. Plus I was actually just there Saturday July 2nd, they had an open modified race though it was mostly Valenti Mods there, as well as a pro stock, mini stock tour race and street stocks. Surprisingly the street stocks and mini stock tour had the cleanest races of the night while the prostocks took around 25min to complete 3 laps they were so eager to wreck each other. Some people spent a lot of money of front clips, rear clips and every suspension piece under the sun that weekend. The team I was with actually had a pretty bad car but was able to stay out of the wrecks and just missed the top 10. I had never been to NHIS before so it was cool to go to and I wouldn't mind experiencing a Cup weekend there at some point. One thing I thought was interesting they still had all the old Sprint branded banners and billboards up all over the track from last year. Guess they had a busy couple weeks resetting everything to Monster. I'll post a picture from the weekend because, pavement mods.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kenseth is going to get the Casey Atwood/Joe Nemechek "demoted to the satellite operation" treatment.

...even though FRR has beat the pants off JGR this year.
Yeah I'm almost bummed for the kid because he has been doing well in the car he's in now and isn't even going to get a chance to help grow that team.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Clint Bowyer is the most wonderful kind of dickhead

https://twitter.com/siriusxmnascar/status/884915975564533760

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

SportsBusiness Journal reports that the Cup series to date is down 12 percent in viewership compared to the first half of 2016, down from an average of 5.6 million to 4.9 million viewers. The Daytona 500 was up five percent, but eight of 14 races studied declined by double-digits. Saturday night's Cup series race on NBCSN drew a 1.6 rating and averaged 2.7 million viewers, down from 2016's 1.9 rating and 3.2 million viewers.

"It's a bit of a mixed bag," Steve Phelps, NASCAR executive vice president oand chief global sales and marketing officer, told SBJ. "There are certainly people who would say that, "Hey, NASCAR is down.' I would say that we're actually not down; we're down in a particular metric, but there are other metrics where we're up and up significantly."

for one, we are up in the metric of "dumb poo poo steve phelps says" significantly, so

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

quote:

"For example, our internal polling unit found that we're up 311% in the number of race stages over the same time period in 2016," explained Phelps, who seemed frustrated as he kept scribbling on a notepad. "For us to see such a significant increase in that metric is definitely a positive, and we believe we're capable of bringing that number up even higher in the months and years ahead."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

That seems like a bad idea

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Statistics and numbers are fake news.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

kidcoelacanth posted:

:agreed:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cygni posted:

for one, we are up in the metric of "dumb poo poo steve phelps says" significantly, so

This sounds like Taylor Swift saying "That's what they don't SEEEEEEE!" in that one song where she sounds as though she's deflecting about all her flaws by pointing out that she's lightnin' on her feet, etc..

"I mean, yeah, some things about us suck right now, but look at these other things! It's not all bad! SEEEEEEEE?"

kidcoelacanth posted:

Nothin' new. He's been good at screwing big things up for teammates for a bit.

e-

quote:

"I understand that the splitter was there to limit travel, but I've always thought the wing and the splitter was like a desperate attempt to grasp at the younger demographic," Earnhardt said. "This tech and tune generation, these kids that put all this tech into their cars. If you go to the (NASCAR Technical Institute,) you'll see these kids with wings on everything. They'll put a wing on anything."

"NASCAR finally gave up on it, the wing at least, and went back to the old spoiler that had worked so well for the past 75 years," Earnhardt said. "But they will not give up on the splitter. I don't know what it is about this drat splitter. I've never liked it. I don't like driving a car with it on there. I don't like driving a car that's sliding across the race track with a splitter."

He also believes the splitter is responsible for the competition woes on downforce tracks as well.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/dale-earnhardt-jr-podcast-nascar-wont-give-drat-splitter#ixzz4mcuLFoU7

PREACH ON BROTHA DALE.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 12, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
hey it's 2017 and people are like "TV ratings go down"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/884966746691686401

Solve for Eldora.

e- Here's an at-a-glance of free agents this season from Jayski for Silly Season:

quote:

#43-Aric Almirola (contract ends 2017)
#37-Chris Buescher (on loan from RFR to JTG)
#41-Kurt Busch (contract ends 2017)
#77-Erik Jones (moves to JGR #20 car in 2018)
#5-Kasey Kahne (contract thru 2018 but sponsors leaving)
#20-Matt Kenseth (contract ends 2017, won't return to JGR)
#2-Brad Keselowski (contract ends 2017)
#1-Jamie McMurray (contract status unknown)
#27-Paul Menard (usually works on a year-to-year deal)
#10-Danica Patrick (uncertainty over sponsorship)
#43-Bubba Wallace (contract status unknown)

There are also the rumors about Ryan Blaney and Kyle Larson moving, and Almirola is listed as 2017 also. So, by team, seats possibly open:

quote:

CGR- 1, 42
Penske- 2
HMS- 5, 88
SHR- 10, 41
JGR- 20 (Erik Jones)
Wood- 21
RCR- 27
JTG- 37
RPM- 43
FRR- 77

That's a lot of decent-to-good racecars.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 12, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
yeah we're in that generational die-off and it's pretty badass

you know you're old when you're a Darrell Waltrip fan and Kyle Busch is suddenly an elder statesman

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Where's Kenseth going to go?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Where's Kenseth going to go?

A short track upstate, I hear.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

For what it's worth, Felix Sabates says Kyle Larson is staying at CGR.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/885192483386392577

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can that be full time please?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace posted:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There have been a lot of cup races on weird non-basic cable channels I'm too cheap to get this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

• Locked thread