Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

But can solidarity exist without empathy? I tend to take the view that empathy is something that has to be worked at and built over time, so I can get behind unified-action-precedes-class-consciousness and so on, but if empathy isn't built or attempted to be built, the coalition you're building will break at the critical moment.

empathy is about, do i care about another person, do i feel their pain, do i find something likable in them, but that's insufficient, you need a bond that persist even when you don't care, a duty to even people you don't like, and anyway i don't want an emotional connection to every random fucker, that's exhausting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

rudatron posted:

Every civil society requires a police force. Absent basic protection, nothing else works. Naturally, said force is going to be encultured with the ruling ideology and supportive of the ruling class, but that's just how societies & ideology work.

I suspect a lot of the 'gently caress the police' is just a carry over from activist work, who are of course going to have negative interactions, and hold a lot of resentment for that. But even after any social transformation, the requirement of public order is still going to hold - the day after the revolution, the police are still going to exist.

Every civil society has a police force is not the same thing as every civil society requiring one. It's not like we really try the alternative in the modern world, on the other hand, organized police forces are largely a modern creation that came about in the 19th century to enforce some form of social cohesion (plus in the US there was the matter of police forces needing to be created to enforce the fugitive slave act in free states).

It's perfectly imaginable that police forces are actually superfluous guard dogs who justify their continued existence with propaganda about their utility. It's also perfectly imaginable that a society that pushes far enough could have, at most, people who deal with deescalation in extreme cases at most.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've barely kept up with this story, how come everyone is praising this cop and playing platitudes?

Is it because she's black and female? It is isn't it

I think it is because she got shot in the head op

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

deadgoon posted:

racists are not going to magically develop empathy for minorities, the inhabitants of the trump thread who lust for rural death are not going to magically develop empathy for rednecks, there is no path forwards but solidarity with people for whom you do not empathize

that's what it means to abandon identity politics in favor of something universal

poo poo like this makes me laugh cause only white people (or real tragic poc I guess) could possibly say and think, "find middle ground with people who think you personally are subhuman because of your skin color. It's the only reasonable way forward!!!"

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

poo poo like this makes me laugh cause only white people (or real tragic poc I guess) could possibly say and think, "find middle ground with people who think you personally are subhuman because of your skin color. It's the only reasonable way forward!!!"

its not about middle ground its about jesus christ our lord and savior

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
also if u voted for obama u already found middle ground with a bunch of people who voted for turmp, good job

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

deadgoon posted:

also if u voted for obama u already found middle ground with a bunch of people who voted for turmp, good job

being black and voting for the first black president was an awesome experience no white person could ever understand or besmirch no matter how much obama went on to let me down

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
lol

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I will stop lusting for redneck death when their politics aren't trying to kill me

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
if supported obama, or hillary, or bernie, u were already in political coalition with white racists

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I will stop lusting for redneck death when their politics aren't trying to kill me

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh no I guess I'm racist now

Also you could just talk about the #resiatence chodes that erase any minorities that disagree with them

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
im not accusing anyone of being racist im just pointing out that even a big chunk of bernie supporters are hella racist yet u managed to find a common goal

remember that poll from last year that showed that like 20% of bernie supporters would say some poo poo like "in general black people are less intelligent than white people"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
people continue to confuse tactics with ideology

you need pro-life people to vote for your boy, but you can do that without giving ground on abortion, you can have racists vote for your guy or gal and not offer racist policies.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Pretty sure you're misremembering that poll #resistance member deadgoon

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cr90W8UVYAAMCMy.jpg

hmm ok that particular question was more like 15%

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dreylad posted:

people continue to confuse tactics with ideology

you need pro-life people to vote for your boy, but you can do that without giving ground on abortion, you can have racists vote for your guy or gal and not offer racist policies.

yeah, you can make common cause with racists without actually making the racism the common cause

The Democratic Party does this kind of thing now, since it is now a pro-LGBT party but yet captures almost all the votes of black Americans, and afaik a majority of them still hold strong anti-gay views (has this changed in the last year or so?)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Zoran posted:

The Democratic Party does this kind of thing now, since it is now a pro-LGBT party but yet captures almost all the votes of black Americans, and afaik a majority of them still hold strong anti-gay views (has this changed in the last year or so?)

I looked at Pew poll recently and I think a slim majority of african-americans are fine with gay marriage, although that doesn't necessarily speak to general acceptance of LGBQT either

http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/

yeah, it's starting to climb. 44% for African american protestants, 51% of African Americans in general. So as always the most objectionable position on a social issue that people hold doesn't necessarily impact their voting

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

maybe not every one with bad opinions personally thinks you're a subhuman or whatever

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the vast majority of people are not anti-social enough to hold the kind of malicious racism that you're describing here, and i can't see this belief you have of vast swathes of white america being essentially literal nazis, extermination plans and all, as anything but a fever dream.

the way racism tends to manifest today is in the form of alienation and paranoia, so arguably the process of working towards a common goal would to more to solve that issue then...whatever other alternative you have for it

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

did you consider that the spite rednecks hold for 'coastal elites' is based on exactly this sentiment, but the other way around?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

rudatron posted:

did you consider that the spite rednecks hold for 'coastal elites' is based on exactly this sentiment, but the other way around?

I already know it is. I don't think I should go hungry because these people get sneered at. I support policies that I think will help them, even while I privately think most of them can gently caress off. Everyone who is concerned about "free loaders" and parasites sucking dry the pool they get their disability checks from can kiss my rear end.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

don't do this

Your average redneck is too busy working/dying of heart problems to try to kill you. The real fuckers are middle and upper class conservatives who spend their lives fantasizing about new ways to kill poors.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
All the worst Republicans (McConnell, Karl Rove, Gingrich, Paul Ryan) aren't rednecks, they're suburban nerds.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I don't literally savor rural death. My actual opinion on Trump voters getting killed by his policies is well, it certainly wasn't my first choice to solve rural decay.
And yeah I know it's the same ivory tower fucks in both parties that are the problem. It's easy to get frustrated with people who let themselves get duped into fueling the problem.

E: who has two thumbs and convinced themselves a piece of poo poo was going to look out for them? Right here

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, some rednecks are awesome: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/11/redneck-revolt-guns-anti-racism-fascism-far-left

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Grondoth posted:

'“This is the s–t we face every day,” a police source griped.'

Someone disrespected a public event with music, those goddamn bastards. I swear, a week of this will turn any man cold.

One of my favorite dichotomies is that police are both the brave stalwart spartan defenders that keep the barely functioning threads of society in one piece and also special snowflakes that have complete meltdowns if someone doesn't worship them

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

haha police goons have to be in TFR

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/awgaffney/status/885140472200663040

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

being black and voting for the first black president was an awesome experience no white person could ever understand or besmirch no matter how much obama went on to let me down

:yikes:

Well now that you've got that out of your system can we maybe vote for good presidents in the future?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
:beerpal:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/connorsouthard/status/885147261952434176

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

deadgoon posted:

empathy is about, do i care about another person, do i feel their pain, do i find something likable in them, but that's insufficient, you need a bond that persist even when you don't care, a duty to even people you don't like, and anyway i don't want an emotional connection to every random fucker, that's exhausting
Empathy is more about relating to a situation/experience and understanding their feelings first hand either through relating direct past experiences or vicariously
Sympathy is about feeling compassion, regardless if you have had similar experiences or understanding their feelings.

You do not have to empathise to sympathise, but it helps.

It's also easier to have general empathy rather than empathise specifically with one person every time. Each person is unique but generally people are all similar.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 16:08 on Jul 12, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/jduganbarrett/status/885149809383845888

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

the thing is that voters end up deciding who to vote for on social issues because very rarely do the two parties seriously diverge on economic issues

it's also naive to think that racial animuses and clinging to guns and religion aren't exacerbated and brought to the forefront of peoples' minds by bad economic times, or that economically-liberal-socially-conservative voters haven't been courted and manipulated by the right to vote only on social issues for decades, with no real comparable attempt by democrats to get them to vote only on their economic interest.

by the way the couple of times in recent memory that a presidential candidate promised better economic outcomes (obama in 2008 on healthcare, trump in 2016 on JOBS) they ended up winning.

i dont think there are racial animes

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

liberals are welcome to dehumanize themselves and join the Bernard Brotherhood

Serf
May 5, 2011

i read the part where 89k is the median for a college graduate and almost poo poo myself

what the gently caress

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how the left is hung up on single payer when even a child knows that tort reform is the only way to bring down healthcare costs

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Serf posted:

i read the part where 89k is the median for a college graduate and almost poo poo myself

what the gently caress

it's probably one of those medians that's driven up by outliers who got a job in daddies company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

:yikes:

Well now that you've got that out of your system can we maybe vote for good presidents in the future?

Was there even an objectively good candidate in the 2008 primaries besides Obama (who turned out to be a sockpuppet for the worst impulses of democratic policy)

Tort reform is a center right chimera that fails to account for the sheer amount of things that countries with public healthcare actually have going on at once, including usually vastly cheaper tuitions and price controls (which even little Canada somehow gets away with and that's with the bulk of the system being provincial, which means anyone whining about US states being too small is an idiot). It's a thing but it's not the one magic thing, by far.

Agnosticnixie has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Jul 12, 2017

• Locked thread